Best of 2012................so far

Glen

Well someone suggested starting this so I'll go first, a couple of possible movers but here's how its stacking up......these are the ones Ive rated above 80% -

1. HEAT - Address The Nation (94%)

2. Eclipse - Bleed & Scream (93%)

3. Harry Hess - Living In Yesterday (92%)

4. Crazy Lixx - Riot Avenue (92%)

5. Destine - Illuminate (91%)

6. Dynazty - Sultans Of Sin (89%)

7. Halestorm - A Strange Case Of.....(88%)

8. Threshold - March Of Progress (88%)

9. Tremonti - All I Was (88%)

10. Jeff Scott Soto - Damage Control (86%)

11. Peepshow - Brand New Breed (86%)

12. Hardline - Danger Zone (83%)

13. Wigelius - Reinventions (83%)

14. Shinedown - Amaryllis (83%)

15. Baby Jane - In The Spotlight (82%)

16. Jettblack - Raining Rock (82%)

17. Sunstorm - Emotional Fire (81%)

18. Fatal Smile - 21st Century Freaks (80%)

Quiet a few goodies to come so I fully expect my top 10 to be shaken up - esp by Jimi Jamison & Vega.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting, my friendly dollop of cream. Keeping in line with your above 80's, here's my above 80's. Hess and Eclipse are probably my only unrated discs that will no doubt feature in this list as soon as I rate them:

1 . Blessed By A Broken Heart - Feel The Power - 94

2 . Peepshow - Brand New Breed - 92

3 . Sunstorm - Emotional Fire - 91

4 . H.E.A.T - Address The Nation - 91

5 . Destine - Illuminate - 90

6 . Silence - City (Nights) - 90

7 . Wigelius - Reinventions - 90

8 . Dallas - Over The Edge EP - 90

9 . Safetysuit - These Times - 90

10 . Baby Jane - In The Spotlight - 86

11 . Hit The Lights - Invicta - 85

12 . Osukaru - Salvation - 85

13 . Mike Ruocco - The Rise. The Ride. The Risk. - 84

14 . Jeff Scott Soto - Damage Control - 83

15 . Dear Superstar - Damned Religion - 83

16 . Silence - City (Days) - 83

17 . Throw The Fight - What Doesn't Kill Us - 83

18 . My Darkest Days - Sick And Twisted Affair - 81

19 . Less Than 4 - By Blood By Heart - 81

20 . Young Guns - Bones - 81

21 . Close To Home - Momentum - 81

22 . Hardline - Danger Zone - 81

23 . Crazy Lixx - Riot Avenue - 80

24 . Jettblack - Raining Rock - 80

Looks like we have a few similar titles (bar modern rock this year) but pretty different scores, hey? :lol:

H.E.A.T is my definate top album this year so far...others I loved this year were Rattleshake,Murder Bay,Gotthard,Paul Sabu and Trixter,the new Crazy Lixx was also good but not in the same league as their previous 2 releases imho,liked the new Wig Wam as well but again not a shade on their debut or self titled releases :)

still a few months to go and the Youngblood,Tango Down,Gypsy Rose & Roxy Blue releases to come...I guess its a case of watch this space :)

H.E.A.T is my definate top album this year so far...others I loved this year were Rattleshake,Murder Bay,Gotthard,Paul Sabu and Trixter,the new Crazy Lixx was also good but not in the same league as their previous 2 releases imho,liked the new Wig Wam as well but again not a shade on their debut or self titled releases :)

still a few months to go and the Youngblood,Tango Down,Gypsy Rose & Roxy Blue releases to come...I guess its a case of watch this space :)

You liked Paul Sabu ?

Since I'm the one who suggested Glen start the list, I feel I should respond with my faves so far.

I know my list will be scoffed at by many. Just to make things clear I still haven't received the new HESS nor the new ECLIPSE...but I'm sure they'll make the best of list in due time. I'm also really looking forward to the next VEGA and LIONVILLE, which are scheduled to come out later this year.

Here is some of my faves so far in no particular order

THE DARKNESS - Hot Cakes

CIRCUS MAXIMUS - Nine

PARADISE LOST - Tragic Idol

H.E.A.T. - Address The Nation

DYNAZTY - Sultans Of Sin

VAN HALEN - A Different Kind Of Truth

LILLIAN AXE - The Days Before Tomorrow

SHINEDOWN - Amarylis

DRAGONFORCE - The Power Within

JETTBLACK - Raining Rock

JEFF SCOTT SOTO - Damage Control

WIGELIUS - Reinventions

BLESSED BY A BROKEN HEART - Feel The Power

So far this year no album has jumped up at me and blown me away like The Magnificent did last year or Brother Firetribe's False Metal did back in 2006, however it's been a stellar year so far with great variety, not just AOR and Melodic Metal dominating my fave list.

my currently top 20

H.E.A.T - Address The Nation

ECLIPSE - Bleed and Scream

DYNAZTY - Sultans of Sin

DESTINE - Illuminate

WIGELIUS - Reinventions

HESS - Living In Yesterday

HARDLINE - Danger Zone

JETTBLACK - Raining Rock

LOUDGUNS - Broken Highway

SUNSTORM - Emotional Fire

CRAZY LIXX - Riot Avenue

FRIDAY NIGHTS, THE - s/t

DALLAS - Over The Edge EP

OXYGEN - Final Warning

ADLER'S APPETITE - Alive EP

RICHARD MARX - A Night With Friends

PEEPSHOW - Brand New Breed

BABY JANE - In The Spotlight

ACCEPT - Stalingrad

and if EP doesn't qualify in the rank, then the next two albums should be :

L'ARC-EN-CIEL - Butterfly

• My Little Pony

my currently top 20

ECLIPSE - Bleed and Scream

DYNAZTY - Sultans of Sin

DESTINE - Illuminate

WIGELIUS - Reinventions

HESS - Living In Yesterday

HARDLINE - Danger Zone

JETTBLACK - Raining Rock

LOUDGUNS - Broken Highway

SUNSTORM - Emotional Fire

CRAZY LIXX - Riot Avenue

FRIDAY NIGHTS, THE - s/t

DALLAS - Over The Edge EP

OXYGEN - Final Warning

ADLER'S APPETITE - Alive EP

RICHARD MARX - A Night With Friends

PEEPSHOW - Brand New Breed

BABY JANE - In The Spotlight

ACCEPT - Stalingrad

and if EP doesn't qualify in the rank, then the next two albums should be :

L'ARC-EN-CIEL - Butterfly

Nice to see Accept made at least one person's top 20. It's been kicking my ass lately.

So far my number one of 2012 is Paradise Lost - Tragic Idol, but I have quite a few albums I haven't listened to yet.

I may give that a sneaky listen on Spotify over the weekend.

You liked Paul Sabu ?

And Gotthard and Wig Wam? Haha. I kid. All these releases are pretty fair, but for me personally they're all sitting around the 60% mark, except Trixter, which was a bit better.

Roxy Blue have material coming out this year? Really? I missed that memo... what's the story there? Is there a shelved release out there?

Interesting, my friendly dollop of cream. Keeping in line with your above 80's, here's my above 80's. Hess and Eclipse are probably my only unrated discs that will no doubt feature in this list as soon as I rate them:

And Namesake, of course. That will easily rate above 80% but is currently residing in my car with the other 2 for regular spins before rating.

Mine so far:

1. Van Halen - A Different Kind Of Truth (10/10)

2. Lovebite - Lock 'N' Load (8/10)

3. Jettblack - Raining Rock (8/10)

4. Beverly Killz - Gasoline & Broken Hearts (7/10)

5. ZZ Top - La Futura (6/10)

6. Hollywood Burnouts - Excess All Areas (5/10)

A very very mixed bag this year so far. Hopefully Vega and a couple of others will kick the MR/AOR side into gear, as apart from a few releases, it's not been great so far.. No ratings as of yet, but in the running so far

Saga - 20/20

Romeo's Daughter - Rapture

Chris Antblad - A New Dawn

Blessed By A Broken Heart - Feel The Power

Delain - We Are The Others

Destine - Illuminate

The Enid - Shining: Arise And Shine III

Threshold - March Of Progress

Flying Colors - S/T

Gun - Break The Silence

In This Moment - Blood

It Bites - Map Of The Past

Tim McGraw - Emotional Traffic

John Par - The Mission

The Producers - Made In Basing Street

Rush - Clockwork Angels

David A. Saylor - City Of Angels

Sonic Station - S/T

Train - California 37

Van Halen - A Different Kind Of Truth

A very very mixed bag this year so far. Hopefully Vega and a couple of others will kick the MR/AOR side into gear, as apart from a few releases, it's not been great so far.. No ratings as of yet, but in the running so far

Saga - 20/20

Destine - Illuminate

Flying Colors - S/T

Gun - Break The Silence

H.E.A.T - Freedom Rock

In This Moment - Blood

John Par - The Mission

Rush - Clockwork Angels

Sonic Station - S/T

Train - California 37

Van Halen - Best Of Both Worlds

I'm a tad confused, H.E.A.T. - Freedom Rock was their previous release and Van Halen - Best Of Both Worlds is a best of comp from a several years back.

I'm thinking someone had a few too many Old Speckled Hen's last night. ;)

Saga - 20/20

Destine - Illuminate

Flying Colors - S/T

Gun - Break The Silence

H.E.A.T - Freedom Rock

In This Moment - Blood

John Par - The Mission

Rush - Clockwork Angels

Sonic Station - S/T

Train - California 37

I'm a tad confused, H.E.A.T. - Freedom Rock was their previous release and Van Halen - Best Of Both Worlds is a best of comp from a several years back.

Correct..I shall correct fortwith :doh:

• My Little Pony

Saga - 20/20

Destine - Illuminate

Flying Colors - S/T

Gun - Break The Silence

H.E.A.T - Freedom Rock

In This Moment - Blood

John Par - The Mission

Rush - Clockwork Angels

Sonic Station - S/T

Train - California 37

Correct..I shall correct fortwith :doh:

But, can one really have too many Speckled Hen's? :drink:

You liked Paul Sabu ?

And Gotthard and Wig Wam? Haha. I kid. All these releases are pretty fair, but for me personally they're all sitting around the 60% mark, except Trixter, which was a bit better.

Roxy Blue have material coming out this year? Really? I missed that memo... what's the story there? Is there a shelved release out there?

[

Yeah Roxy Blue are releasing 3 new cds,2 new studio albums and a live album recorded around the release of want some,coming out soon on FnA records....

And yes I liked Paul Sabu(strong 1st half of the cd got me) and as I pointed out Gotthard and Wig Wam,but they werent a shade on their previous material :) with continued listens Gotthard had grabbed me BigTime ;)

another case of each to their own I guess :) tastes vary,which is why sites such as HH are excellent reading

You liked Paul Sabu ?

[

Yeah Roxy Blue are releasing 3 new cds,2 new studio albums

Wow, that's incredible news. Amazed I haven't see anything about this until now. 2 unreleased albums? Wow, I wonder if that's album leftovers, or if they're songs recorded prior to 'Want some' and then an album no doubt recorded after. Can't wait!

You liked Paul Sabu ?

[

Wow, that's incredible news. Amazed I haven't see anything about this until now. 2 unreleased albums? Wow, I wonder if that's album leftovers, or if they're songs recorded prior to 'Want some' and then an album no doubt recorded after. Can't wait!

apparently they had a shed load of stuff recorded before,during and after want some,the change in musical climate stopped it from being released at the time :(

found this online:

FNA RECORDS TO RELEASE A TREASURE TROVE OF RARE RECORDINGS FROM MAJOR ARTISTS THIS FALL!

Recordings from Roxy Blue, Gypsy Rose, Rock City Angels, The Godz, & Roxx Gang highlight Fall release schedule

Nashville: While the first half of 2012 has been a little light on the new release roster for FnA Records, that doesn’t mean we haven’t been hard at work. Infact, the little elves have been working their asses off for the past 6 months prepping to put forth a firestorm of major releases this fall. And here we go!

Having been signed by Tom Zutaut, who signed Motley Crue and Guns-n-Roses, managed by the same management company as Motley Crue, and produced by Mike Clink who produced Guns N Roses Appetite For Destruction, FnA Records is proud to announce the upcoming release of 3 bombastic albums by one-time Geffen recording artists Roxy Blue. Roxy Blue was being touted as "The Next Big Thing" with a powerhouse of talent behind them. Enamored were both Motley Crue and Kiss who stopped by to check out Roxy Blue as they prepared for the recording of their debut album, Want Some? The hype was enormous, but no one could've predicted the whole Seattle phenomenon. Another band whose potential was cut way too short. There will be two studio releases, and a live album that was recorded right before the band left to record their debut album. There are tons of unreleased tracks for the fans who could not get enough of this band. All three albums will be available for sale individually, or together as a package deal at a reduced price. Autographed copies and a super fan pack with a t-shirt will also be made available.

You liked Paul Sabu ?

[

apparently they had a shed load of stuff recorded before,during and after want some,the change in musical climate stopped it from being released at the time :(

found this online:

FNA RECORDS TO RELEASE A TREASURE TROVE OF RARE RECORDINGS FROM MAJOR ARTISTS THIS FALL!

Recordings from Roxy Blue, Gypsy Rose, Rock City Angels, The Godz, & Roxx Gang highlight Fall release schedule

Nashville: While the first half of 2012 has been a little light on the new release roster for FnA Records, that doesn’t mean we haven’t been hard at work. Infact, the little elves have been working their asses off for the past 6 months prepping to put forth a firestorm of major releases this fall. And here we go!

Having been signed by Tom Zutaut, who signed Motley Crue and Guns-n-Roses, managed by the same management company as Motley Crue, and produced by Mike Clink who produced Guns N Roses Appetite For Destruction, FnA Records is proud to announce the upcoming release of 3 bombastic albums by one-time Geffen recording artists Roxy Blue. Roxy Blue was being touted as "The Next Big Thing" with a powerhouse of talent behind them. Enamored were both Motley Crue and Kiss who stopped by to check out Roxy Blue as they prepared for the recording of their debut album, Want Some? The hype was enormous, but no one could've predicted the whole Seattle phenomenon. Another band whose potential was cut way too short. There will be two studio releases, and a live album that was recorded right before the band left to record their debut album. There are tons of unreleased tracks for the fans who could not get enough of this band. All three albums will be available for sale individually, or together as a package deal at a reduced price. Autographed copies and a super fan pack with a t-shirt will also be made available.

Awesome news. Also about Gypsy Rose too. I LOVE that debut and would certainly welcome anything else they may have recorded in that style.

I wonder what the story with Roxx Gang is. We've all heard the pre-'TYNDB' tunes, but surely they recorded something after 'TYNDB' in that style? They can't have gone straight from that brilliance to whatever shit they released since. I would have babies to hear a genuine follow up to 'TYNDB.'

Awesome news. Also about Gypsy Rose too. I LOVE that debut and would certainly welcome anything else they may have recorded in that style.

I wonder what the story with Roxx Gang is. We've all heard the pre-'TYNDB' tunes, but surely they recorded something after 'TYNDB' in that style? They can't have gone straight from that brilliance to whatever shit they released since. I would have babies to hear a genuine follow up to 'TYNDB.'

The Gypsy Rose is called "Poisoned By Love" and was apparently scheduled for release 17th sept 2012? It contains tracks recorded for their second album on Simmons Records/RCA before it lost its deal plus tracks that never made "prey" added to that a couple of michael ross solo tunes. :)

Roxx Gang is pre-TYNDB according to the same report,couldnt get much more because FnA are relauching their site today (18th)

I've picked up a pretty decent sized heap o' CDs this year but only five of 'em have been 2012 releases.... of those five, I would say it's a toss up between Overkill's THE ELECTRIC AGE and Accept's STALINGRAD for my top spot at the moment... but hey, we got new Dokken and new KISS coming in the next coupla weeks... we shall see where those rank when the smoke clears.