.38 Special - Special Delivery (1978)

66 mustang

The second album from .38 Special and it stays in the pure southen rock style the band debuet with the first album but just a bit better and with a couple hints of what was to come. This album also has the bands first Ronnie Van Zant tribute song on it TAKE ME BACK was written as a tribute to Ronnie and how much Donnie has been missing his as a brother and as a mentor.

as mentioned above, you also get a glimps of what the bands sound would start to move to but not a large glimps

I Been A Mover has that catchy, upbeat feel to it and the guitars come alive in this one. Donnie Van Zant in his trademark hat and energy just smoked on this one. Don and Jeff make on heck of a guitar team and the 2 drummers and LJ on bass made for a solid rythm section.

Like I said above you can see a small shift in the music, just a small hint of what was to come. with this one you can just imagine them pumping it up a bit and Don bringing his vocals to this

This is the last pure southern rock album the band would put out but not the last time they carry the flag for the genre. as the 80's were to wear on they would be THE last of the southern rock bands standing, thanks to the way the band would meld AOR and Southern Rock. The best was yet to come for the band and the fans, although many times they had to answer the question on if they sold out. I say NO. you listen to the albums to follow and the band just got better. they found what they did well and ran with it. why be a 2nd rate Skynyrd when you can be a first rate .38 Special?

I like the 1st 2 .38 Special albums, but I feel they didn't find their feet proper until the 3rd one 'Rockin' Into The Night'.. I agree with you in that they were trying to do the 2nd rate Skynyrd thing and vastly improved when they went on the more commercial route. 2 good albums all the same