Spandau Ballet

dethuniverse

GREAT band ! I LOVED them !!

Thanks for the vids!!! Great stuff!!

I believe Lemmy did a Celebrity Rate-A-Record of one of these songs in Hit Parader back in the day. It was a 3-word review. "Yes. Definitely. Crap." I'm with Lemmy. Not exactly what anyone would consider "manly" music. Not a big fan of blokes warbling on as they get in touch with their feminine side.

Not exactly HH material and not for everyone's taste for sure, but for the more open minded of us, Spandau were a pretty good band, with 2 or 3 albums that are well worth exploring. A good song is a good song as they say, and they wrote a fair few. I remember an ex girlfriend winning tickets to see them live when the 'True' album was released and they were surprisingly an excellent live band too.

To quote Charlie McCracken of Fastway regarding the blokes in Spandau Ballet: "I'll bet they're married to a lovely bunch of fellows." We all have a few things buried in our music library we really wouldn't admit publicly, but there are lines I simply won't cross. This is one of them. That stuff is just a tad light in the loafers for my liking... Hell, let's call a spade a spade - there ain't one iota of manliness in their entire catalog. Let's check out these macho lyrics from True:

"True"

(Ha-ha-ha, ha-ah-hi)

(Ha-ha-ha, ha-ah-hi)

So true

Funny how it seems

Always in time, but never in line for dreams

Head over heels when toe to toe

This is the sound of my soul

This is the sound

I bought a ticket to the world

But now I've come back again

Why do I find it hard to write the next line?

Oh, I want the truth to be said

(Ha-ha-ha, ha-ah-hi)

I know this much is true

(Ha-ha-ha, ha-ah-hi)

I know this much is true

With a thrill in my head and a pill on my tongue

Dissolve the nerves that have just begun

Listening to Marvin (All night long)

This is the sound of my soul

This is the sound

Always slipping from my hands

Sand's a time of its own

Take your seaside arms and write the next line

Oh, I want the truth to be known

(Ha-ha-ha, ha-ah-hi)

I know this much is true

(Ha-ha-ha, ha-ah-hi)

I know this much is true

I bought a ticket to the world

But now I've come back again

Why do I find it hard to write the next line?

Oh, I want the truth to be said

(Ha-ha-ha, ha-ah-hi)

I know this much is true

(Ha-ha-ha, ha-ah-hi)

I know this much is true

This much is true

(This much is a-true-oo)

(This much is a-true-oo-oo)

I know, I know, I know this much is true

(This much is a-true-oo)

(This much is a-true-oo)

(Ha-ha-ha, ha-ah-hi)

(This much is a true-oo-oo)

I know this much is true

(This much is a-true-oo)

(Ha-ha-ha, ha-ah-hi)

(This much is a true-oo-oo)

Know this much is true

(This much is a-true-oo)

(Ha-ha-ha, ha-ah-hi)

(Know this much is true)

I know, I know, I know this much is true

"Ha-ha-ha, ha-ah-hi"????????????????????????????? Let's be realistic here, people - Real men don't warble such wussy shite as that. Johnette Napolitano of Concrete Blonde wrote that poop? Figures a chick would pen such slop; any guy actually singing it would HAVE to have their manhood questioned. That's just bloody awful. Really, guys - if this crap floats your boat, you might as well turn in your genitals at the door.

I take it you stay clear of Soul music, too?

Apart from the odd Curtis Mayfield track or Friends Of Distinction, you got that right.

• 2 weeks later...

Apart from the odd Curtis Mayfield track or Friends Of Distinction, you got that right.

You wouldn't believe what "crap" I'm listening to! I'm probably one of the most open minded person here regarding music. All those act from the 80´s, my kind of music.

Except for one "act": Modern Talking puke.gif Bloody hell!!

• My Little Pony

You wouldn't believe what "crap" I'm listening to! I'm probably one of the most open minded person here regarding music.

You and me both. I don't even bother mentioning most of it, because it'll either go right over their heads, or be mocked. It's okay though. As long as we can connect on the music discussed on this site, I'm good. This is pretty much the only place I can talk about real rock and somebody knows what I'm talking about. Most of you know more than me.

I don't even bother mentioning most of it, because it'll either go right over their heads, or be mocked. This is pretty much the only place I can talk about real rock and somebody knows what I'm talking about. Most of you know more than me.

Contradictions, contradictions, contradictions. If you don't bother mentioning things 'cause it'll go right over their heads, then how can they know more than you? Not mocking; not trying to dredge up an argument, but it was worded in a contradictory manner. And this "real rock" you speak of - enlighten those of us with heads considerably lower than yours' as to what constitutes "real rock". I would think that term is open to everyone's personal interpretation of "real". Is there a whole pile of counterfeit rock floating around out there? My Gawd! Tell us quickly - how do we tell the genuine stuff from the fake? I'd hate to think I've been wasting my time listening to music that isn't "real". Now, I'm mocking.

• My Little Pony
I don't even bother mentioning most of it, because it'll either go right over their heads, or be mocked. This is pretty much the only place I can talk about real rock and somebody knows what I'm talking about. Most of you know more than me.

Contradictions, contradictions, contradictions. If you don't bother mentioning things 'cause it'll go right over their heads, then how can they know more than you? Not mocking; not trying to dredge up an argument, but it was worded in a contradictory manner. And this "real rock" you speak of - enlighten those of us with heads considerably lower than yours' as to what constitutes "real rock". I would think that term is open to everyone's personal interpretation of "real". Is there a whole pile of counterfeit rock floating around out there? My Gawd! Tell us quickly - how do we tell the genuine stuff from the fake? I'd hate to think I've been wasting my time listening to music that isn't "real". Now, I'm mocking.

When I said "real rock" I was referring to the kind of rock we discuss on this board--of which, I'd say you guys are more knowledgable of than me--as opposed to the shit the kids are listening to these days.

When I said "I don't even bother mentioning it, because it'll either go right over their heads, or be mocked," I was referring to the other genres of music I listen to: Acid Jazz, Blues, Classical, Country, Disco, Electronic, Electropop, Folk, Funk, Hip Hop, Pop, R&B, Reggae, Soul, Synthpop, Trance, etc.

And, yes, there is a "whole pile of counterfeit rock floating around out there." Just ask Geoff what half of his collection is made up of? :nyanya:

When I said "real rock" I was referring to the kind of rock we discuss on this board--of which, I'd say you guys are more knowledgable of than me--as opposed to the shit the kids are listening to these days.

When I said "I don't even bother mentioning it, because it'll either go right over their heads, or be mocked," I was referring to the other genres of music I listen to: Acid Jazz, Blues, Classical, Country, Disco, Electronic, Electropop, Folk, Funk, Hip Hop, Pop, R&B, Reggae, Soul, Synthpop, Trance, etc.

And, yes, there is a "whole pile of counterfeit rock floating around out there." Just ask Geoff what half of his collection is made up of? :nyanya:

"Acid Jazz, Blues, Classical, Country, Disco, Electronic, Electropop, Folk, Funk, Hip Hop, Pop, R&B, Reggae, Soul, Synthpop, Trance, etc."

I thank my lucky stars you know more about that stuff than I do. Ultravox is about as sythny as it gets for me. As for the other stuff, there just ain't any "Aaaaaaarrrrggggghhhhh!!!!!!!" in it for my liking.

• 4 years later...