BRIAN JACK DEAD (Child's Play)

LV KIX

It has just been reported on 98 Rock in Baltimore that Brian Jack has passed away. No details yet. If I hear anything else I'll post it. When I first heard I had hoped that it wasn't true. it has apparently been confirmed by his family.

Heard that on the radio as well. That really sucks. Guess there will be no Child's Play reunion. :(

I'm just so glad I went to their last reunion show in December. It was the last time Brian was on stage.

I heard that Brian was found dead this morning. He apparently died in his sleep.

Rest In Peace Brian...

Holy shit this is horrible news.

I only knew him in Childs Play but I loved that Rat Race disc and "My Bottle" has to be one of my fav drinking songs ever. Just a great album and loved his voice as well. RIP!

WTF man? This stuff has to stop....

The first CP cd is a CLASSIC! His solo albums were very good as well. Anyone know what happened?

I hear he died in his sleep. He was found dead this morning (Tuesday 4/17/12). I hope the cause of death isn't what I fear it may be. He leaves behind a wife and kids.

If I hear the official cause of death I'll post it here.

EDIT ~ Just talked to a Baltimore area musician and was told Brian had a heart attack. I don't know if that is official or not.

The first CP cd is a CLASSIC! His solo albums were very good as well. Anyone know what happened?

I hear he died in his sleep. He was found dead this morning (Tuesday 4/17/12). I hope the cause of death isn't what I fear it may be. He leaves behind a wife and kids.

EDIT ~ Just talked to a Baltimore area musician and was told Brian had a heart attack. I don't know if that is official or not.

Drugs?

Drugs?

I hope it is not the case. I suspect that this is a possibility though.

R.I.P. Brian, Knock Me Out is one of the most kick ass rockin songs ever!!

Tough night in Baltimore. Brian Jack's service was packed. It was like a who's who in the Baltimore music scene. They had to keep the doors open late.

Here is a tribute put to Brian's music:

http://thetributecenter.com/tributeplayer/default.aspx?webvideoID=5130#/WebPlayerPage

RIP Brian.....saw CP a few times back in the day, at The Empire and maybe Hammerjack's, great live band. Touching video....it sucks when people your own age start dropping....was he the orginal singer in Child's Play ?

As far as I know he was the original singer, if he wasn't then he was the only singer they had that mattered, that band was just a straight up fucking Hard Rock band, I always thought they defined the label Hard Rock Band, as they just flat out rocked, they didn't do anything fancy, nothing extraordinary, never dabbled in anything outside the realm of a vocalist, guitarist, bass, and drummer, they never tried to fuze other kinds of music into their music, or crossover any other genres, they just picked up their instruments, turned them on, cranked all volumes up to max, and laid down some of the most hard rocking fucking music you'll ever hear, they had my respect from the very first time i heard the drum beat kick in on the song Knock Me Out, which KBER played way back in 1989, I rushed out to buy their cd, and have had it heavily in my rotation since the day I got it, I was in 8th grade then, im 34 now, and I can honestly say I loved it then for the pure hard rock of it, now I respect it for the way it is just plain simple hard rock, done the way hard rock was meant to be done, and Imo it is one of the true few albums I can honestly say never needed a hit catchy chorus, or stereotypical ear catching single, because the basis of every song, is that it is catchy on its own by just plain kicking your ass and rocking your ass, I love this cd, it will forever remain one of my all time favorites, it's one of the few I enjoy without having to skip any tracks, and it's really sad that Brian died, though i am so thankful he left me this cd to enjoy for the rest of my life, R.I.P. Brian!!

Actually Brian was not the original singer. When Brian first joined the band he was a guitar player. After Larry Hinshaw (vocals) left the band Brain took over vocal duties. Child's Play was formed by Larry Hinshaw and Brian in 1983. While showcasing for record companies, prior to the release of "Rat Race", the band was told that they would be signed but the record company didn't like Larry's voice so he had to go. The rest of the band didn't want to sign without Larry so Larry quit Child's Play in 1988 on his own so the band could get a label deal. Larry did continue to write with the band. Instead of searching for a new vocalist who wasn't part of the Child's Play family they decided on Brian.

Larry was a very good vocalist when the band formed in 1983 but by the time the band had major label interest (1988) his sound was a little dated. Larry's vocals were very raw... kind of reminded me of early Motely Crue. Here is a sample with of Child's Play's earlier days with Larry Hinshaw on vocals..

ORIGINAL CHILD'S PLAY LINE UP: Hinshaw (vocals) Brian Giacubeno (guitarist/backing vocalist), John Allen drummer/vocalist, Jimmy Schaefer (guitarist), Phil Wizer (bass)

CLASSIC CHILD'S PLAY LINE UP: Brian Jack (Giacubeno) lead vocals, John Allen (drums, percussion, backing vocals), Idzi (bass, backing vocals), Nicky Kay (guitars, backing vocals)

Actually Brian was not the original singer. When Brian first joined the band he was a guitar player. After Larry Hinshaw (vocals) left the band Brain took over vocal duties. Child's Play was formed by Larry Hinshaw and Brian in 1983. While showcasing for record companies, prior to the release of "Rat Race", the band was told that they would be signed but the record company didn't like Larry's voice so he had to go. The rest of the band didn't want to sign without Larry so Larry quit Child's Play in 1988 on his own so the band could get a label deal. Larry did continue to write with the band. Instead of searching for a new vocalist who wasn't part of the Child's Play family they decided on Brian.

Larry was a very good vocalist when the band formed in 1983 but by the time the band had major label interest (1988) his sound was a little dated. Larry's vocals were very raw... kind of reminded me of early Motely Crue. Here is a sample with of Child's Play's earlier days with Larry Hinshaw on vocals..

ORIGINAL CHILD'S PLAY LINE UP: Hinshaw (vocals) Brian Giacubeno (guitarist/backing vocalist), John Allen drummer/vocalist, Jimmy Schaefer (guitarist), Phil Wizer (bass)

CLASSIC CHILD'S PLAY LINE UP: Brian Jack (Giacubeno) lead vocals, John Allen (drums, percussion, backing vocals), Idzi (bass, backing vocals), Nicky Kay (guitars, backing vocals)

Just spun that "Beware Of The Kid" cut and Hinshaw fronted Childs Play reminds me of early Kix almost to the point that that tune could have been a b-side off the Cool Kids disc...

Are these Hinshaw fronted tunes available somewhere?

Just spun that "Beware Of The Kid" cut and Hinshaw fronted Childs Play reminds me of early Kix almost to the point that that tune could have been a b-side off the Cool Kids disc...

Are these Hinshaw fronted tunes available somewhere?

They were released on cassette. The release was called "Ruff House". A few of the songs on "Ruff House" were rerecorded and released on the "Rat Race" CD. The song "Rat Race" was actually on the "Ruff House" cassette. There are also a handful of other Larry Hinshaw fronted songs that were never recorded but were played live.

As far as the KIX reference.. I can see that. Rather than calling it a KIX sound I'd call it a Baltimore sound. That is just what was going on in the area back then. There were many bands that had that "Baltimore sound".

I was going to say, I have the Ruff House demos and that ain't Brian singing. Glad he took over though! All of their music was great really. I love Long Way as much as Rat Race but would have been cool to hear Brian on that album.

• 2 weeks later...

Here is a cool tribute to Brian Jack... Amazing how many people he touched in his short life. I know he wasn't the biggest star in the world... but what a great guy and entertainer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DsY2Yn0ZsGM

Brings a tear to my eyes at the 8:13 - 8:14 mark.. It's Brian and a friend of mine... Jeff Reed (SR-71) who also passed away way too soon.