Peepshow

Glen

I don't think that Peepshow wants to be Crashdiet, their music holds up quite well on its own, slighty harsher. Maybe they do want Crashdiet's record sales as I would have to guess they have not sold as many.

This is a song they did for Reborn in Sleaze a Tribute to Dave Lepard.

http://www.sleazeroxx.com/bands/various/reborninsleaze.shtml

I don't think that Peepshow wants to be Crashdiet, their music holds up quite well on its own,

It does indeed. but the new album sounds exactly like Crashdiet to me. Which is no bad thing

I don't think that Peepshow wants to be Crashdiet, their music holds up quite well on its own,

It does indeed. but the new album sounds exactly like Crashdiet to me. Which is no bad thing

Which reminds me I need to get my hands on their new one.

Yeah, I think they are similar. Sounds like they have the songs, which is the most important thing. Definitely in my want list.

Yeah, I think they are similar. Sounds like they have the songs, which is the most important thing. Definitely in my want list.

In all honesty I like this more than Crashdiet. Granted that wouldn't be hard, but this sounds pretty decent to me.

In all honesty I like this more than Crashdiet. Granted that wouldn't be hard, but this sounds pretty decent to me.

Now thats a weird statement - both sound virtually identical, but if anything Crashdiet are more melodic.

I think Johnny Gunn (PEEPSHOW) is very closely related to Martin Sweet (CRASHDIET) hence the sound similarity because like I've written before in the other thread that Gunn once sung their hit, 'Chemical'.

I suspect they're a good friend but Sweet think that Cruz is more fitted for the job, or maybe Gunn didn't want to join because he has his own band, or also maybe Gunn and Sweet are basically two leaders that can't be in the same company, in the same time ?

any info on this ? btw the new PEEPSHOW is only 8 GBP (along with their former album, 'Out For Blood') with free shipment, so I'm sinking my cash for these two mofos, hopefully arrived in 2 weeks hooray! :D

Now thats a weird statement - both sound virtually identical, but if anything Crashdiet are more melodic.

Yeah, I'm a massive wild fan of both CDs but I'd also agree that Crashdiet would just have the edge in terms of hooks, choruses and melodicness (yep it's a word).

That said, I like this new Peep Show disc almost as much as 'Generation Wild.' Almost. It's killer. Some of the best riffs and general musical passages I've heard from a disc in a long time. A perfect example that you don't need Yngwie type shredding to create a magical guitar sound. Love the rhythm guitar all over this CD, as well as the "solos" which are rarely guitar focused wank sections, but rather complete musical passages. The "solo" in 'Irreversable' is pure magic.

Said it plenty, but I absolutely love this CD.

Yeah I'd agree with that, but nothing at all on the Crashdiet sank-in. Not one song. Not one chorus. I enjoyed some of the music, it was all well-played and stuff, but nothing to get repeat spins from me. I know this is close to sacrilege round here, but that disc just washed-over me so I then just sold it. Peepshow is more interesting and has bigger hooks (to these ears anyway), though it's still nothing I haven't heard a zillion times before. Nice stuff though.

Does anyone hear a bit of Stratovarius in these songs?? SleazeStrat.

Isn't Stratopantsius prog rubbish or something? We're talking metal here, friend, not homosexuality.

Yeah I'd agree with that, but nothing at all on the Crashdiet sank-in. Not one song. Not one chorus. I enjoyed some of the music, it was all well-played and stuff, but nothing to get repeat spins from me. I know this is close to sacrilege round here, but that disc just washed-over me so I then just sold it. Peepshow is more interesting and has bigger hooks (to these ears anyway), though it's still nothing I haven't heard a zillion times before. Nice stuff though.

You'll probably get caned for saying that, but I agree to a point. I absolutely love the song, "Chemical", but for me that's the only truly killer Crashdiet song and I only like 5 or 6 songs by the band over the 3 CDs I owned by them. They make a great sound, but most of the songs are no better than 'quite good' for me.

You'll probably get caned for saying that, but I agree to a point. I absolutely love the song, "Chemical", but for me that's the only truly killer Crashdiet song and I only like 5 or 6 songs by the band over the 3 CDs I owned by them. They make a great sound, but most of the songs are no better than 'quite good' for me.

Surprised neither of you could find a hook on the debut? what about 'Riot In Everyone', 'Its a Miracle', 'Queen Obscene', 'Knock You Down', 'Breakin The Chains', 'Tickket', 'Out Of Line'??

To be honest all of those songs are better than anything here.

Sorry to be harsh, but just keepin it real......lets not get toooooo over excited about this album eh. Its good, and I like it, but it aint Crashdiet IMO, of course.

Surprised neither of you could find a hook on the debut? what about 'Riot In Everyone', 'Its a Miracle', 'Queen Obscene', 'Knock You Down', 'Breakin The Chains', 'Tickket', 'Out Of Line'??

Honestly mate, I played that album 5-6 times before selling it and I don't remember any of those songs! I do vaguely remember "Chemical", but I also remember being under-whelmed. It's definitely a glam/hard-rock thing though as I don't like WigWam (after the awesome debut)/The Poodles/Crazy Lixx or any of that other stuff either. Just not my bag (of make-up).

Honestly mate, I played that album 5-6 times before selling it and I don't remember any of those songs! I do vaguely remember "Chemical", but I also remember being under-whelmed. It's definitely a glam/hard-rock thing though as I don't like WigWam (after the awesome debut)/The Poodles/Crazy Lixx or any of that other stuff either. Just not my bag (of make-up).

LOL, you wouldnt...'Chemical' is on Generation Wild, whereas all those songs I mentioned are on the debut ;-)

To be honest all of those songs are better than anything here.

Sorry to be harsh, but just keepin it real......lets not get toooooo over excited about this album eh. Its good, and I like it, but it aint Crashdiet IMO, of course.

Plenty of good songs, just nothing killer for me. Nothing that I'll need to play again and again (unlike 'Chemical'). I do love the sound, the sleazier the better, preferably with no punk or 'modern' element, so Crashdiet and Crazy Lixx are both good, but lack the out and out killer tunes for me.

Not 100% sure about Peepshow yet. Early indications are good, but knowing me I'll be disappointed when I actually get round to playing the songs 3 or 4 times.

And I'm not exactly sure what you guys mean by "hooks". I mean, I think I get it, but it seems to get mentioned a lot and I'm starting to think I'm missing something...

Plenty of good songs, just nothing killer for me. Nothing that I'll need to play again and again (unlike 'Chemical'). I do love the sound, the sleazier the better, preferably with no punk or 'modern' element, so Crashdiet and Crazy Lixx are both good, but lack the out and out killer tunes for me.

Purely an innocent out of curiosity question, but for my info, what would you rate as a killer sleaze hard rock band / CD?

Purely an innocent out of curiosity question, but for my info, what would you rate as a killer sleaze hard rock band / CD?

Tough question and I'm sure there's a dig coming, but I'll try and give a reasonable answer.

Pretty Boy Floyd - Leather Boyz... (good album with 2 or 3 real killer tracks)

Enuff Z'Nuff - Strength (not sure this counts as sleaze, as quite different from the first album, but fantastic songs)

Skid Row - Slave To The Grind (I'd call this HR rather than sleaze, absolutely outstanding album)

Danger Danger - s/t (HR again I think, but excellent, fun album, with many great songs)

Faster Pussycat - s/t (the best sleaze/glam album of all for me, load of amazing tunes, classic)

Tough question and I'm sure there's a dig coming, but I'll try and give a reasonable answer.

Enuff Z'Nuff - Strength (not sure this counts as sleaze, as quite different from the first album, but fantastic songs)

Skid Row - Slave To The Grind (I'd call this HR rather than sleaze, absolutely outstanding album)

Danger Danger - s/t (HR again I think, but excellent, fun album, with many great songs)

Faster Pussycat - s/t (the best sleaze/glam album of all for me, load of amazing tunes, classic)

Yeah, some cool albums... but mate, surely D2's debut is AOR or something isn't it?! :lol:

Like I said, some cool albums there, but have to admit I also really wouldn't call any of those "sleaze hard rock" discs as such. except obviously Faster Pussycat... but cool discs anyway.

Nah, no dig, I was just curious. Lindsay would be far more informative on the subject, but for me I just feel Crashdiet are something really special for the "sleaze" genre. One of my all time faves, personally.

I guess one small "dig" is that I'm surprised you can find killer songs on FP's debut (which is a fun, harmless CD) and not on a Crashdiet CD.

1. Yeah pretty good album - more glam than sleaze

2. melodic rock through and through

3. Hard rock bordering on metal in places - not sleaze

4. AOR!!! bordering melodic rock in places - definitely NOT sleaze!

5. Definitely sleaze - year pretty good album

To be honest the only sleaze bands which REALLY do it for me are

Crashdiet

Hardcore Superstar

Crazy Lixx

Dirty Looks

and of course GnR's 'Appetite'....which is still probably the greatest sleaze album of all time IMO. Even if the songs have worn thin after so many listens its still a classic.

Crashdiet

Hardcore Superstar

Crazy Lixx

Dirty Looks

and of course GnR's 'Appetite'....which is still probably the greatest sleaze album of all time IMO. Even if the songs have worn thin after so many listens its still a classic.

Geoff asked for "sleaze hard rock" albums in his original request, which I read as sleaze and hard rock. That'll teach me. ;)

I think I misunderstand the categorisation of 'sleaze', as I love 'Appetite', but I haven't thought of it as sleaze. I tend to think of sleaze as just that, i.e. sounding sleazy and dirty, like Faster Pussycat, PBF, LA Guns, etc. Sounds like I'm probably confusing sleaze and glam - in which case glam is what I like more. If so, lesson learnt.

As for Geoff's point on Faster Pussycat, it would be interesting if you could analyse why a certain person likes a sertain song. I absolutely love 'Don't Change That Song', one of my favourite rock songs of all time, yet I wouldn't say there is anything particularly original or clever about it.

Now, can someone explain exactly what is meant by a 'hook', so I can test my naivete in that area next? :drink:

Crashdiet

Hardcore Superstar

Crazy Lixx

Dirty Looks

PBF is 100% more glam than sleaze. ;)

Hard to think of sleaze bands off the top of my head, but some of my faves:

No Respect

Vain

Shotgun Messiah

Nasty Idols (2nd album anyway)

Crashdiet

Hardcore Superstar

Crazy Lixx

Dirty Looks

PBF is 100% more glam than sleaze. ;)

Hard to think of sleaze bands off the top of my head, but some of my faves:

No Respect

Vain

Shotgun Messiah

Nasty Idols (2nd album anyway)

Oh yeah, Vain would be in there too - esp the debut and enough rope.

As for the definition of a hook, everyone will probably give a different answer, but for me its part of a song - not necessarily the chorus - even just a melody, which latches onto your brain and keeps you coming back for more and more and more...........

here you go -

Answer: In music the word "hook" refers to that part of a song that catches the ear of the listener. In other words, it's a lyrical line or melodic phrase that makes the song memorable. In this context you can say songwriting is somewhat like fishing; make your hook strong and appealing and you'll be able to catch 'em and reel 'em in.

cheers