VH-1 Classic Metal Mania

speedboi101

They tend to show the same videos over and over and over with a few different or more rare obscure vids thrown in occasionally, which is disappointing...unless you really, really like Iron Maiden's "Run To The Hills". :doh:

Why they can't/won't show reruns of the classic Headbangers Ball is beyond me.

It was fun for a while but for years now it's been the same crap, different week.

Every so often I'll see something a little more obscure they do show way to much Bon Jovi, Motley and Leppard and more of the bigger known bands and songs. It is nice when I do see something that I didn't even know there was a video for.

Every so often I'll see something a little more obscure they do show way to much Bon Jovi, Motley and Leppard and more of the bigger known bands and songs. It is nice when I do see something that I didn't even know there was a video for.

I used to DVR it and was soon burning thru an hour and a half show in 15 minutes so I just gave up watching. Definitely nice when they do show something rare but that's too few and far between for my enjoyment.

When they first added VH1 Classic to my cable back around 2001 or so "Metal Mania" was manna from Heaven. The first night I watched it I saw Crimson Glory's "Lonely" video and I just about fell outta my chair cuz I had NEVER seen that video when it was current. I also did a happy dance when they played Raven's "On and On," which I hadn't seen in over a decade.

I used to DVR it and was soon burning thru an hour and a half show in 15 minutes so I just gave up watching.

Same here, except when I first started watching it I was recording'em onto VHS tapes (yeah, I'm old school! Haha)... but it didn't take long before I realized I was constantly seeing the same videos by the same bands ("Oh goody, Cinderella's 'Shake Me'... again. Yay, Slaughter's 'Up All Night'...again. Oh look, here's 'Pour Some Sugar On Me'... AGAIN!") and decided to quit wasting tape.

Nowadays if I happen to land on it while channel surfing I'll leave it on for a few minutes to see if anything cool pops up, but honestly, in this YouTube day and age, the show is irrelevant.

Why they can't/won't show reruns of the classic Headbangers Ball is beyond me.

They might as well just re-run the old HBB shows... cuz HBB used to beat the SAME damn videos into the ground week after week too!!

On the other hand, I'm fine with "Metal Mania's" current no-host format, cuz I could live a long happy life never seeing Riki Rachtman again, even in re-runs. Man, that guy was a toolbag. :D

They might as well just re-run the old HBB shows... cuz HBB used to beat the SAME damn videos into the ground week after week too!!

On the other hand, I'm fine with "Metal Mania's" current no-host format, cuz I could live a long happy life never seeing Riki Rachtman again, even in re-runs. Man, that guy was a toolbag. :D

My favorite HBB years were when Adam Curry was host. Once Rachtman started hosting that show really seemed to go downhill fast. And yes, they did beat the same videos to death but the show had the band interviews and the countdown which would be cool to see again. Wasn't VH1 Classic showing old episodes of 120 minutes or pop-up video a while back? If so I would think they could show the old HBB episodes.

The "Metal Mania" show has no "host" anymore... I think the channel has done away with most, if not all, of its "V.J.'s"

Vh1 Classic has designated this "Metal Mania Weekend" so I've had the channel on for background noise whilst taking care of some Saturday morning house keeping... most of the videos shown thus far have been the usual suspects that we've all seen zillions of times before, which is no surprise.

To be honest, my 4 year old's editorial comments during some of the videos have been better than the videos themselves. (i.e. "That guy's ugly, Daddy." "Why does that guy have his shirt off, Daddy?" "Is that a boy or a girl, Daddy?" :rofl2:)

... his best comment thus far has been during Kix's "Body Talk," when they showed a rear-view close up of a bunch of girls doing aerobics... he sez "Eeeewww! Butts!" :rofl:

I was also very proud when Iron Maiden's "Run to the Hills" came on and he shouted "LOOK, DADDY! EDDIE!" That's mah boy. :D

Also Kix Body talk today and my wife and I both agreed that that was a horrible video.

Even by 1983 standards that vid was lame. Most of the girls weren't even hot!! :yikes:

Vh1 Classic has designated this "Metal Mania Weekend" so I've had the channel on for background noise whilst taking care of some Saturday morning house keeping... most of the videos shown thus far have been the usual suspects that we've all seen zillions of times before, which is no surprise.

To be honest, my 4 year old's editorial comments during some of the videos have been better than the videos themselves. (i.e. "That guy's ugly, Daddy." "Why does that guy have his shirt off, Daddy?" "Is that a boy or a girl, Daddy?" :rofl2:)

... his best comment thus far has been during Kix's "Body Talk," when they showed a rear-view close up of a bunch of girls doing aerobics... he sez "Eeeewww! Butts!" :rofl:

I was also very proud when Iron Maiden's "Run to the Hills" came on and he shouted "LOOK, DADDY! EDDIE!" That's mah boy. :D

At least they showed "Run To The Hills" at least once today*... :P

*See my above comment :lol:

Shame they never show any rare videos more often.Do they even show any thrash videos oir stuff like Saxon?

Once in a blue moon, you might see "Denim and Leather" ... like I sez, YouTube is a better option than this show nowadays

• 10 months later...

I wonder how much access they have to the rare and obscure videos? Plus I understand they have to hook an audience that know the "hits" and all but throw the super fans a bone with an hour of rare stuff but that would be a very low rated hour in terms of viewers I guess. ok, enough rambling

throw the super fans a bone with an hour of rare stuff but that would be a very low rated hour in terms of viewers

I agree. Lord knows they could easily bump an hour of "Married: With Children" reruns (WTF is that show doing on VH1 Classic in the first place?) to give it a try, and nobody would even notice.

VH1 Classic is a pretty low rated basic-cable network anyway... what would they have to lose?

Not really, they have an 80s show, but they keep it at rock docks, metal mania, shit like that, low commercial volume, whatever happened to MTV2?? Does anyone remember I think it might have been at the beggining of 2000, when MTV2 played every single video in their collection? that was fucking mind blowing, and you could practically time it to the letter or video you wanted to see, like I remember timing it to when I got up at 4am, I would fall somewhere around the time they were going to play Gun - Steal Your Fire, and I was like 15 minutes off, that was fucking insane!!

I dont even know if its on anymore? if it is I dont watch it, you can pretty much count on mtv to fuck anything up