Blessed By A Broken Heart: "Feel the Power" review

My review of Canadian glam/hair/shred-metal mavericks Blessed By A Broken Heart's new album, "Feel the Power," is now available over at Hardrock Haven. Click the link below to check it out:

Blessed By A Broken Heart review

All I'm gonna say is...I loved this album.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xztb6BfAk8E&feature=youtu.be

I can't help but love this track. The video not so much.

Most of their other songs are too hardcore-ish. With the right supervision and writers these guys could become a fav amongst the Melodic Rock fans around here, however I think they are confused as to what they want to be.

BTW, this following track was the first single. I'm just not sure about it. The guitar is shredding and I think I can see myself enjoying it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qeszGwNc4u0&feature=BFa&list=AVGxdCwVVULXcQt25CoYqHM1_wNFTSQQKb&lf=list_related

This one from the first one reminds me of the dance side of Reckless Love.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pg5I3fU3-Sg&feature=related

However on the same album you'll find this kind of stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqgrtRc2n90&feature=related

It's hard to explain. I'd prefer they go full on Melodic Rock and I bet many would prefer they simply go full on Hardcore.

Most of their other songs are too hardcore-ish. With the right supervision and writers these guys could become a fav amongst the Melodic Rock fans around here, however I think they are confused as to what they want to be.

Hmmmm...are we listening to the same album? This new CD is pure '80s hair-metal to these ears, with very minimal metalcore influence (some occasional screams here & there, but nothing major, used very sparingly). Yeah, their last album was a metalcore-glam hybrid (glam-core), but this is retro pop-metal served mostly straight up: shredding guitars, huge hooks, sing-along choruses, monster harmonies. As I mentioned in my review, I think they should get rid of those screams altogether, but any modern metal influence is overpowered and drowned by the hair-metal heroics.

My stance is that any glam-metal fan that throws out this album because of a few modern metal touches is akin to a man kicking a nyphomaniacal Swedish supermodel out of his bed because she hada pimple on the sole of her foot.

I entertained their first album because it had some good crossover moments. The new one sounds total horse-shit. I've seen them live and they were a fucking mess. This new stuff reminds me a little of that other favourite band of mine the Black Veil Brides. Why can't all these talentless kids just learn to play their instruments before they record an album? Glam-core?! That's some funny shit right there. Bet these guys aren't around to make a 3rd album. Oh, and "Feel the Power" is a shit album title.

I entertained their first album because it had some good crossover moments. The new one sounds total horseshit. I've seen them live and they were a fucking mess. This new stuff reminds me a little of that other favourite band of mine, Black Veil Brides. Why can't all these talentless kids just learn to play their instruments before they record an album? Glam-core?! That's some funny shit right there. Bet these guys aren't around to make a 3rd album. Oh, and "Feel the Power" is a shit album title.

Uh, Tim? "Feel the Power" IS their 3rd album, so you already lost that bet. :P And "talentless"? Heck, man, even this band's detractors acknowledge that the guitarist can shred like nobody's business. As far as I'm concerned, these guys are leaps & bounds ahead of Black Veil Brides, and that's coming from someone who likes Black Veil Brides. That said, if you don't appreciate the cheesy hair-metal of the '80s, then there's no way in hell you're going to like "Feel the Power." Please return to your death metal and scream-core and leave the fluffy pop-glam-metal to us less-serious minded folks. :lol:

I entertained their first album because it had some good crossover moments. The new one sounds total horseshit. I've seen them live and they were a fucking mess. This new stuff reminds me a little of that other favourite band of mine, Black Veil Brides. Why can't all these talentless kids just learn to play their instruments before they record an album? Glam-core?! That's some funny shit right there. Bet these guys aren't around to make a 3rd album. Oh, and "Feel the Power" is a shit album title.

Uh, Tim? "Feel the Power" IS their 3rd album, so you already lost that bet. :P And "talentless"? Heck, man, even this band's detractors acknowledge that the guitarist can shred like nobody's business. As far as I'm concerned, these guys are leaps & bounds ahead of Black Veil Brides, and that's coming from someone who likes Black Veil Brides. That said, if you don't appreciate the cheesy hair-metal of the '80s, then there's no way in hell you're going to like "Feel the Power." Please return to your death metal and scream-core and leave the fluffy pop-glam-metal to us less-serious minded folks. :lol:

Yeah, Tim is just an angry young man, but I can't wait to hear this mofo. And Dave, Mark is right - what you posted there is mostly stuff from the first disc. Haven't heard the new one yet, but heard the rumours of the less screaming so it's top of my want list at the moment, as I loved the last CD regardless of screams. So this should be even better. :)

Yeah, Tim is just an angry young man, but I can't wait to hear this mofo. And Dave, Mark is right - what you posted there is mostly stuff from the first disc. Haven't heard the new one yet, but heard the rumours of the less screaming so it's top of my want list at the moment, as I loved the last CD regardless of screams. So this should be even better. :)

so not..............

so not..............

Truth. I think he's even older than me, and by Jesus my lord and saviour am I an old man. :(

If there is one thing I know of Tim other than him being British, is that he hates modern bands trying too hard to sound like 80's bands. Just like Hinder did with Take It To The Limit or that Black Veil Brides band. I'm not surprised he doesn't like this stuff as well.

The Forever track is cool, I like it and the guitar is shredding. They are easier on the ears than the eyes, the look of the singer and his weird poppy dancing puts me off.

Reckless Love is bascially trying to do the same thing, young guys sounding like the 80's, however their are 2 differences that make Rckless Love more appealing to me. 1.) Reckless Love are not trying to combine todays Hardcore music with yesterdays Glamrock like these guys are..... and 2.) The Reckless Love look is much, much more appealing, cool, less drugged out and angry looking.

The Forever track is cool, I like it, and the guitar is shredding. They are easier on the ears than the eyes, the look of the singer and his weird poppy dancing puts me off.

Reckless Love is bascially trying to do the same thing, young guys sounding like the '80s, however there are 2 differences that make Rckless Love more appealing to me. 1.) Reckless Love are not trying to combine today's Hardcore music with yesterdays Glamrock like these guys are...and 2.) The Reckless Love look is much, much more appealing, cool, less drugged out and angry looking.

Well, at least you acknowledge the guitarist can shred, unlike that Tim bloke who dared to call the band talentless. :) I continue to disagree that they are still trying to merge metalcore with glam, because aside from a handful of screams/growls, this is a straight-up hair-metal album. Funny you should mention Reckless Love, as they are the band I think this new Blessed By A Broken Heart album most sounds like. As for which one is better...I'm not gonna call it, but I will say that I don't give a hoot about a band's looks, I only care about their music, and Blessed By A Broken Heart is cranking out some great pop-metal on this latest CD. Kind of seems like the band is being judged for what they did in the past rather than what they are doing now. If this was the debut of some new band on Frontiers Records, this thread would be lighting up with praise.

All I'm gonna say is I'm pretty impressed with the first sneaky listen yesterday. What a great find, Mark!

if they're going to do that crappy metalcore stuff, I'll avoid but this one is pure 80s heavy metal with a slight modern touch, and boy that guitar can shred like hell, but can't he think of a better name than Shred Sean ? lol

i'll post my First Impression later on the appropriate thread, but guys, this is a fuckin' great record!

The Forever track is cool, I like it, and the guitar is shredding. They are easier on the ears than the eyes, the look of the singer and his weird poppy dancing puts me off.

Reckless Love is bascially trying to do the same thing, young guys sounding like the '80s, however there are 2 differences that make Rckless Love more appealing to me. 1.) Reckless Love are not trying to combine today's Hardcore music with yesterdays Glamrock like these guys are...and 2.) The Reckless Love look is much, much more appealing, cool, less drugged out and angry looking.

Well, at least you acknowledge the guitarist can shred, unlike that Tim bloke who dared to call the band talentless. :) I continue to disagree that they are still trying to merge metalcore with glam, because aside from a handful of screams/growls, this is a straight-up hair-metal album. Funny you should mention Reckless Love, as they are the band I think this new Blessed By A Broken Heart album most sounds like. As for which one is better...I'm not gonna call it, but I will say that I don't give a hoot about a band's looks, I only care about their music, and Blessed By A Broken Heart is cranking out some great pop-metal on this latest CD. Kind of seems like the band is being judged for what they did in the past rather than what they are doing now. If this was the debut of some new band on Frontiers Records, this thread would be lighting up with praise.

I like RECKLESS LOVE but I don't like this cliched drivel. It's like they've hopped on the bandwagon of modern bands realising that Metalcore is now dead and trying to decide what they do next. Give up is what they should do. Or rather, learn to play with a bit of feeling and melody (the guitarist might be able to "shred", but having fast fingers doesn't make you talented). Their last album was mildly entertaining bubble-gum rock that worked for a couple of songs and then got boring quickly. Bands like ESCAPE THE FATE do this stuff a million times better, and last years FALLING IN REVERSE got the balance of 80's melody and modern production just about right. Even the last HINDER album saw them finally match enough hooks/melody with a powerful modern sound. And if those bands are too modern for you or you hate even the tiniest bits of screaming then just go listen to "Slave to the Grind" for the rest of your days...

P.s. I realise these posts make me seem like a grumpy old git, but (and if you google this band you'll realise I'm far from on my own with this opinion) I just frankly think bands like this are a joke, and they emphasise the fact that you don't need to have much playing or songwriting ability to start a band and get signed.

I like RECKLESS LOVE but I don't like this cliched drivel. It's like they've hopped on the bandwagon of modern bands realising that Metalcore is now dead and trying to decide what they do next. Give up is what they should do. Or rather, learn to play with a bit of feeling and melody (the guitarist might be able to "shred", but having fast fingers doesn't make you talented). Their last album was mildly entertaining bubble-gum rock that worked for a couple of songs and then got boring quickly. Bands like ESCAPE THE FATE do this stuff a million times better, and last years FALLING IN REVERSE got the balance of 80's melody and modern production just about right. Even the last HINDER album saw them finally match enough hooks/melody with a powerful modern sound. And if those bands are too modern for you or you hate even the tiniest bits of screaming then just go listen to "Slave to the Grind" for the rest of your days...

P.s. I realise these posts make me seem like a grumpy old git, but (and if you google this band you'll realise I'm far from on my own with this opinion) I just frankly think bands like this are a joke, and they emphasise the fact that you don't need to have much playing or songwriting ability to start a band and get signed.

Usually I can kind of see where you're coming from with comments on modern rock, but I thought the Falling In Reverse CD was pretty damn poor last year - crap, in the end, to be totally honest - and Escape The Fate's last disc was also pretty disappointing, imo. 'This war is ours' was a killer album, but the s/t album was only so-so at best. I guess what I mean to say is that I think Blessed By A Broken Heart's 'Pedal to the metal' was far better than both discs, and from what I've heard of the new BBABH disc, I only expect that to be even further better than all three albums.

I don't really like the comparisons to Black Veil Brides either. Say what you will about BBABH, but these kids have some fire in them. It sounds like they love what they do and they do it well. The problem with BVB is that they just sound so dead and bored, and that dreadful vocalist just makes them sound like they don't care - that they are just trying to sell records and nothing more. Even if BBABH are only doing it to try to fit in, at least it sounds like they mean it. ;)

I don't really like the comparisons to Black Veil Brides either. Say what you will about BBABH, but these kids have some fire in them. It sounds like they love what they do and they do it well. The problem with BVB is that they just sound so dead and bored, and that dreadful vocalist just makes them sound like they don't care - that they are just trying to sell records and nothing more. Even if BBABH are only doing it to try to fit in, at least it sounds like they mean it. ;)

But that's exactly why I don't really like them - other than the sloppy playing. They just don't sound that authentic to me. All-things Metalcore (all except the biggest bands) are pretty much dead these days, so they have to find another bandwagon to hop-on to. To be fair, the last album (which I played this morning) did have a couple of songs where they properly nailed the modern/retro mix perfectly. There's a lot of filler on there, but they have it in them to write killer heavy/melodic songs...

Is there no heaviness on the new album at all? The songs I heard had none...

I can dig this...have their last disc, and it was 'ok'. I like the song posted here...a little OTT, but no more than say Avenged Sevenfold, or Dragonforce. And...oh...I really liked that Falling in Reverse disc!!! I'm surprised that you didn't Geoff, as we have VERY similar tastes here.....

P.S. I realise these posts make me seem like a grumpy old git, but (and if you google this band you'll realise I'm far from on my own with this opinion) I just frankly think bands like this are a joke, and they emphasise the fact that you don't need to have much playing or songwriting ability to start a band and get signed.

Reckless Love embrace every cliche of the '80s and do so in catchy fashion, which is why I like them, and that exact same thing is all Blessed By A Broken Heart is doing. I don't care if it's derivative or authentic or trend-hopping (really? releasing a hair-metal album is trendy? since when?), I only care if it sounds good, and thanks to BBABH's huge hooks/choruses/harmonies, that's exactly how they sound to my ears. Escape the Fate is a decent band, but BBABH no longer play that style; aside from a few negligible screams/growls, "Feel the Power" is a straight-up hair-metal album. Even their debut had a few smidgens of glam influence, then they went half-hair, half-metalcore on "Pedal to the Metal," so this newie is a very natural progression into a full-fledged '80s pop metal band. It's not trend-hopping, it's a pretty obvious and natural evolution; the band has never concealed their love of '80s poodle metal and now they have gone ahead and made an album full of it.

As for the Google comment...sure, this band has its detractors, just like it has its fans, but that applies to any band out there. I could take all your favorite modern metal bands, even popular ones like Killswitch Engage, Lamb of God, or Job For A Cowboy, and find plenty of people tearing 'em to shreds. Let's face it, Tim, anyone can find other people on the Internet who agree with their opinions. Does Killswitch Engage fellate camel dick simply because plenty of haters on the 'Net say they do?

Bottom line, nobody is wrong and nobody is right--it's all subjective opinion. I think this album kicks ass, you think it sucks ass, and to each their own, my friend. :)

Bottom line, nobody is wrong and nobody is right--it's all subjective opinion. I think this album kicks ass, you think it sucks ass, and to each their own, my friend. :)

Of course, and I have to say that I do like reading your reviews (even if I don't often agree with them - Machine Head aside!!), you're a natural at this stuff. Is there no screaming or heavy bits on this new disc whatsoever? Nothing for me to download at all?

Of course, and I have to say that I do like reading your reviews (even if I don't often agree with them - Machine Head aside!!), you're a natural at this stuff. Is there no screaming or heavy bits on this new disc whatsoever? Nothing for me to download at all?

Heard this this morning on the way to work and I'm listening again as I type, and wowser. The benchmark has been laid down before the end of the first month of 2012! That's how much I love it.

Tim, mate, you will HATE it. Not because they're poor musicians or because they're not hardcore screamcore or whatever rubbish is cool these days - but because it is pure melodic "hair metal" in the tradition I don't think you liked first time 'round anyway.

From the opening track, 'Deathwish,' this is just pure catchy chorus & hook-driven bliss. Killer melodic opener lays down the ground rules for a killer completely 80's styled joy ride. To answer your question, Tim, the heavy/modern bits are very minimal. I mean, to me it's still pretty ballsy in general. Certainly A LOT heavier than Reckless Love, for example. But I think 'Love Nightmare' is the only song I remember which has heavy/screamo modern type vocals. But then it has a KILLER melodic chorus which will settle the haters down.

One of the surprises for me was the ballad - 'I've got you.' So sugary sweet it's painful (but yeah, of course I LOVE it), but you could actually see this thing making it on the radio if they get a lucky break. But the thing that surprised me? This dude can sing, imo. I don't know if he's technically great, but I'd give him a solid thumbs up. Brave, raw vocal with piano/keys for a large portion of the song, and he holds his own for sure. And overall, I do like his voice.

Otherwise, this is just bombastic, over the top, killer modern melodic 80's styled rock. If these guys are inferior musicians to other bands, then shame on those other bands because I'd rather listen a musically inferior band that can write songs like this over some wankfest of great musicians without a decent song to be heard (*cough Chickenfoot cough*).

Sorry for dragging on, but one last thing. Maybe give it a go, Tim, if only to satisfy the side of your curiosity that loves Grand Illusion, because this is over-the-top, but these guys know how to reel it in before it gets silly.

Overall, I love that the screams are all but gone and I also like the more sensible use of keys too. The keys on 'Pedal...' were awesome in a really, really tacky way, but this time they play them for effect, rather than what seemed kind of joke-ish last time around.

Three word summary - absolutely love it!

Heard this this morning on the way to work and I'm listening again as I type, and wowser. The benchmark has been laid down before the end of the first month of 2012! That's how much I love it.

Tim, mate, you will HATE it. Not because they're poor musicians or because they're not hardcore screamcore or whatever rubbish is cool these days - but because it is pure melodic "hair metal" in the tradition I don't think you liked first time 'round anyway.

From the opening track, 'Deathwish,' this is just pure catchy chorus & hook-driven bliss. Killer melodic opener lays down the ground rules for a killer completely 80's styled joy ride. To answer your question, Tim, the heavy/modern bits are very minimal. I mean, to me it's still pretty ballsy in general. Certainly A LOT heavier than Reckless Love, for example. But I think 'Love Nightmare' is the only song I remember which has heavy/screamo modern type vocals. But then it has a KILLER melodic chorus which will settle the haters down.

One of the surprises for me was the ballad - 'I've got you.' So sugary sweet it's painful (but yeah, of course I LOVE it), but you could actually see this thing making it on the radio if they get a lucky break. But the thing that surprised me? This dude can sing, imo. I don't know if he's technically great, but I'd give him a solid thumbs up. Brave, raw vocal with piano/keys for a large portion of the song, and he holds his own for sure. And overall, I do like his voice.

Otherwise, this is just bombastic, over the top, killer modern melodic 80's styled rock. If these guys are inferior musicians to other bands, then shame on those other bands because I'd rather listen a musically inferior band that can write songs like this over some wankfest of great musicians without a decent song to be heard (*cough Chickenfoot cough*).

Sorry for dragging on, but one last thing. Maybe give it a go, Tim, if only to satisfy the side of your curiosity that loves Grand Illusion, because this is over-the-top, but these guys know how to reel it in before it gets silly.

Overall, I love that the screams are all but gone and I also like the more sensible use of keys too. The keys on 'Pedal...' were awesome in a really, really tacky way, but this time they play them for effect, rather than what seemed kind of joke-ish last time around.

Based on these comments I will download a few tracks (avoiding the ones I heard soundbytes of) and let you know. If it's just 80's style glammy hard-rock (like those I heard were) then I'll definitely hate it, but a heavier guitar-edge might make a few tunes interesting at least...

Now I feel I have to buy this one. This is a very cool ballad. Still don't like the bands look, but if the music rocks, who gives a shit about they way they look.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dt_bd63NT3k&feature=fvsr

I just played it for the first time on my stereo and although I've been anticipating this one since I first heard "Deathwish" a couple of months back, this is far beyond my expectations!

Seriously, except the growls on "Love Nightmare" this is more or less a slab of modernized Hair-Metal with hints of AOR. "Rockin' all Night" could just as well have been on Danger Danger's debut: Sure it's sort of juvenile and simple, but hell I like that track a lot!

Great stuff! :party421:

From the opening track, 'Deathwish,' this is just pure catchy chorus & hook-driven bliss. Killer melodic opener lays down the ground rules for a killer completely 80's styled joy ride.

At last, someone talking some sense!