Crashdiet Australia 2011

glam_junkie

For those who went to the crashdiet show... how was that?!!?!?

For those who missed... too bad. They would have to have been some of the best shows i've had the priveledge of seeing.

Mananged front row at both shows, and also made it both of the instore acoustic gigs they did, which were equally as impressive. (althouhg you will notice in the footage Simon had almost lost his voice the morning after the main show)

As a started here's a couple fo videos i've uploaded.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RX0I6zsdjGM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svcfyi-sJO0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lDVfnkXd1k

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRY1x0jghfA

Merging threads.... from Geoff...

Last Thursday saw me off on my merry and excited way to see Crashdiet's first show in Australia. So here's a few sexy little thoughts on the evening:

Sunset Riot - these guys were pretty cool. A lot of the songs were kind of average rockers, but not bad. Listenable. But there were two songs which I absolutely loved. So much so I noted what I thought the names might be in my phone. 'Moonshine' and 'Searching.' They mentioned they had an EP for sale and I'd have bought it for those 2 songs, but then I never saw where they might be selling it. Man the Gaelic Club sucks. But yeah, these guys were good.

LUST - but these guys sucked. Pretty much just a punk band with a pretty exciting guitarist and a drunk Little Caesar-type vocalist. Just a really boring set with a heap of shitty songs.

Crashdiet - now, before I praise them, I'll start with the negative. On the net the night was scheduled to end at 10:30pm which would leave me hours to get one of the last trains or buses back home. Early on it became apparent it was going to be much later. But this is what pissed me off - and I don't know if it was Crashdiet's fault or someone else. LUST finished at about 10pm. Crashdiet didn't go on until about 11:15pm. So I stood around like a goosebump for an hour, just being left to contemplate how the fuck I was going to get home after the last fucked up buses and trains had gone home because Sydney public transport mid-week is fucked. I admit I was pretty pissed off. Thankfully, though, when they got on stage I was left to ease back into joy again. Again, before I praise them, I have to admit they were MUCH more mellow than I expected. The band just did their job with no frills at all. Very subdued bunch of dudes. But that's cool with me because they sounded good. But the surprise for me was the lead singer. I'd heard and assumed he was a wildman of the wildest variety. Not to be. Again, very calm and peaceful and just about doing his job. He loosened up a little right at the end with a stage dive and a devouring of a sexy young lass on stage... but for the most part he appeared to be HATING the punks climbing up on stage anywhere near him. Except, credit due, for the ladiez, who he seemed to dig.

Anyway, that said... they were awesome. Because they were a lot more professional and calm than I expected, the performance was very well played and performed. The set list was flawless... I think every single song from the debut was covered, a few from 'The unattractive revolution' (including the killer 'Falling rain') and a good dose from 'Generation Wild.' And it was a long set too. With all the going off stage and coming back on at the end it stretched out even longer, but it was a good long set and awesome value for money.

So in assessment: They were very different to what I expected personality-wise, but musically and quality wise, I can't fault them. They were awesome, and I'm stoked to be able to say now that I've seen one of the most exciting bands to hit the scene in the last decade.

And Linsday? Were you the guy right down at the front of the stage... the only guy who put his hand up when asked who was there from Adelaide?

Yeah, that was me... the guy from Adelaide. At least he actually knew Adelaide.

And ditto regarding all the dickheads that thought it was okay to jump onstage. Ok, some folks got up and stage dived (fair enough i guess) but there were too many wankers who thought it was their role to get up and pretend to be part of the band and hang out there for 30 seconds or so. Security was pretty poor.

Haha. Awesome minds think alike, when they're reminded and pushed by the most awesome of the two minds. ;)

Which show was better? Galeic or Melbourne? 'Beautiful pain' was brilliant that night.

Yeah, that was me... the guy from Adelaide. At least he actually knew Adelaide.

Yeah, I figured it was you with the camera. Glad you got some good footage. Do you know what happened to the other band on the list for the night? La Fevure or whatever? And did you see any Sunset Riot EPs? Are those two songs I speak of on there, do you know?

Mate, those photos are incredible. Give me the lowdown - how do you do it? Do you have the exif data for them? ISO, shutter speed and apeture? There's a program I can find on the net to find it I think, but curious if you know it roughly off the top of your head. To capture night shots at high speeds of motion like that, mate, very impressed.

looks like one hell of a nite, great to see them played outside Europe, but how's the crowd, and I'm not sure many Australian knows the band except you guys in this forum lol but are their CDs released locally there ?

Haha. Awesome minds think alike, when they're reminded and pushed by the most awesome of the two minds. ;)

Which show was better? Galeic or Melbourne? 'Beautiful pain' was brilliant that night.

i reckon the sydney crowd was crazier at the front (but too many cockheads), and i think sound was a bit better at sydney, but as an enjoyable experience i think maybe melbourne.

i really loved the acousitc shows too. these were very laid back affairs.

Mate, those photos are incredible. Give me the lowdown - how do you do it? Do you have the exif data for them? ISO, shutter speed and apeture? There's a program I can find on the net to find it I think, but curious if you know it roughly off the top of your head. To capture night shots at high speeds of motion like that, mate, very impressed.

i just use a compact digital camera. i've had a panasonic lumix for 3-4 years now and just got the new one recently so this was literally the first time i had used it.

the new one gives you a little more control of the settings, although i find with compact digitals they are not usually that accomodating in gig sorta light, and tend to want to over compensate with slow shutter speed and a flash . One of the tricks i have come up with is to take the picture with flash on, as this gives a real quick exposure... but i place my finger over the front of the flash and smother the "flash" so when it goes off the picture doesn;t appear daylight and i still get some effect of the lighting at the gig.

that being said, the new camera i used does have 3 manual memory setting so i did pre-set a couple of those and used a variety of different setting, but i can't honestly recall whcih turned out the best. i reckon i had the exposure set at about 850, and auto shutter speed.

I'd agree with that figure around the 200 mark. The place wasn't full, but for a band like that I was surprised that many people knew them too. And it was quite a young crowd. In fact, I actually didn't feel out of place age-wise for once. Not too many real oldies there this time.

And correct you are, Nightrain, no local release for the CDs here.

Lindsay, I've been using that flash technique too, for photos of people (pretty much my wife only) at night. I actually have what is called a 'flash diffuser' although it is totally mis-shaped for my camera. But if I hold it in place it does the job. That would be a good investment if you could find one on ebay for cheap - a flash diffuser. Even with the flash, though, you have good settings to get the detail for the background and the overall lighting. Yeah, nice work.