Michael Eden leaves Eden's Curse

Nightrain

MICHAEL EDEN DEPARTS EDEN'S CURSE:

Eden's Curse vocalist Michael Eden has released this statement:

To the fans and press that have supported Eden's Curse -

"I've decided to depart Eden's Curse because I can't support the "trophy vision" Eden's Curse has become during the last few months. When it becomes more about "the trophy" and less about real professional business and the needed success it truly takes to stay afloat, it leaves many unresolved questions.

Anyone who runs a business will tell you there are profits and losses expected the first few years in any business. Eden's Curse became a chess game and that was unacceptable on all levels to me as the guy who formed the band. I will not allow anyone to devalue the band while I'm in it. If you play for minimum fees as a band you "set your worth" and that word gets out you can be obtained cheaply. Why pay more when you can pay less? This became the reason we toured very little. Nobody wanted to pay fees that made sense and many tours were looked at believe me.

I became the pawn in the game and that's okay. I excused myself from the party because honestly the "figure heads" bored me to tears. Breaking even financially is for guys who take holidays and play rock star on other people's money. Ryan Northrop (Metal Mayhem Music/USA) was one of the many who spent large amounts of money so others could wear the big boy pants and play Rock Star in front of people who didn't know the wiser. Why leave now some might ask? The real question is why did I stay so long? I was holding onto something that was not there to begin with.

Some learn from mistakes and some pretend they never make any.

I'll be around, count on it!!!

Thanks for your belief, loyalty and support ~ Michael Eden.

Unless I'm wrong, sounds like he's leaving them to become a chess player?

I guess Michael Eden got the message that no one was really understanding his, so he clarified it with this rant instead.

I understand my English was not clear enough for a few people to understand in my press release so I'm updating it a bit. In the USA we have a children's television show called Sesame Street. So let me break it down Big Bird style with the Barney flash cards for readers that are asking themselves, what is this Eden guy going on about. I wanted to sling no mud but it seems you guys want a few facts so you can understand more clearly. Let me help you understand and make it perfectly clear.

Eden's Curse became a band that was about trophy's. Didn't I say that once? You know, an award made of metal and wood.......lol

It became a situation filled with people wanting to de-value the band!

Still not following?

That means Eden's Curse would play sometimes cheaper than the most god horrible band playing Lynyrd Skynyrd cover songs. In other words cheap!!!! Dirt fucking cheap! Some question my credibility? Feel free to question anything you want as the only opinion that matters at this point to me is my own. James Labrie questioned plenty and then he recorded our album. That is after he found out we were not full of shit, that I was not full of shit. James and I just shared stories the other night face to face. As far as being compared to Mike Portnoy, I'll gladly take the comparison. Do your homework before throwing insults about people you don't know.

The bottom line....

Eden's Curse wanted me to play for free or next to nothing. This ain't Disneyland and if it was the ride costs money and somebody has to pay. A few weeks back Paul Logue without my consent booked the band onto the PPM Festival overseas, as well looking at other dates. For two years I've made it clear due to my insane travel and being needed "weeks" overseas I could not do gigs for free. They (Eden's Curse) booked dates without me on board and if that that isn't shady I'd like to know what is. When I wanted to get paid a few hundred in USA cash for the trouble they said no, and then informed me another singer would be doing the gigs if I refused. Thanks for the brotherhood! The loyalty! The dedication. Damn right I refused to play the gigs. Any thinking man with any shade of integrity would have refused and then added Go fuck yourself to the mix!~

Is that easy enough to understand? Hopefully this clears things up. The haters that never listened to the band are the ones with the biggest mouths talking shit and I crave that like a fat lady craves Peanut Butter and Jelly. I don't play for free and neither do millions of other musicians. I don't get cornered by anyone and my hand does not get forced! As far as finding other musicians to play with from the start.....These guys are world class players. There was no need to find other players and yes I was involved with choosing all of them but one guy who was chosen by Paul. They are moving on in a band called Eden's Curse without Michael Eden. How does that work exactly? I wonder if the next guy works for free? He better or his ass will not even be considered. Mr. Rogers called.......Said my trolly would be here soon and to hang tight! I'll do that!

I understand, passion and adoration don't pay bills, but WOW! he is one mighty pissed off and bitter dude. Plus his jab at us the reader in general, at the beginning of his re-worked explanation, all that Big Bird shit, is down right cocksuckerish. It's hard to have any sympathy for the guy when he patronizes his fans like he has with this rant.

Sounds like the Michael St Allen of old to me..........

I think that 'Trinity' is an awesome album but truth be told if there is a weak link its Eden's vocals......what puzzles me is that the band are continuing as Eden's Curse? Think that's a mistake - they should get themselves a new vocalist and re-invent themselves under a new banner/name.

I can't blame Michael for this whole rant, I understand his position and disappointment, but then I also agree with Zach since it's not polite to express such anger in front of the readers and fans whom only want to know the real problem in a real plain English. He should take some anger management class, but then it's always a problem if you're an international band, so best thing you'll do is no tour and keep recording albums, sell it online, and rest the case.

But yeah, I guess they could continue under the name Eden's Curse and beside, isn't Eden a generic name for all ? :D

Hope they can keep pumping new albums out, I love all their releases.

He should take some anger management class

You've obviously never read his old posts over at melrock.com years back when he posted as Michael St Allen??

Legendary....in a bad way.

Pages and pages of messed up views on society/respect/life etc........all very sad

& unnecessary.

He sounds like a bigger asshole with his second statement. Sounds to me like he backed the band into a wall demanding hundreds of dollars extra if they wanted him to fly to the shows overseas.

What a wanker.

What a wanker. I hope I can still enjoy the CDs coz I can no longer watch Pulp Fiction after seeing Tarantino introduce it on the special edition dvd years back. Just in case I won't be checking this post anymore in case he has updates ;)

Maybe he was a smart ass by his second statement but if that is the facts then I understand his frustration and anger. As for the band i just got into them and "Trinity" is amazing and my album of the year as of today and as far as Michael being the weak link I don't get that at all and think his voice is good and fits the music very well. But that's just me.

I can understand wanting to be compensated for your time and efforts...but there seems to be a loss of perspective on his part.

Agreed Shawn. I dont blame him for wanting to be payed for what he thinks he is worth, who doesnt. But I bet there are other issues and reasons behind him leaving.

He should take some anger management class

You've obviously never read his old posts over at melrock.com years back when he posted as Michael St Allen??

Legendary....in a bad way.

Pages and pages of messed up views on society/respect/life etc........all very sad

& unnecessary.

Definitely missed that part at all really :christmas:

Maybe he was a smart ass by his second statement but if that is the facts then I understand his frustration and anger. As for the band i just got into them and "Trinity" is amazing and my album of the year as of today and as far as Michael being the weak link I don't get that at all and think his voice is good and fits the music very well. But that's just me.

I don't think his voice is bad at all either, but of course to calculate all the musicians involved in that band, he's probably at the bottom rank.

I don't think his voice is bad at all either, but of course to calculate all the musicians involved in that band, he's probably at the bottom rank.

exactly my point. Dont get me wrong I love the new Eden's Curse album...every song is a winner in my book and the musicianship is awesome. I like Eden's vocals on the album too, but if I was gonna change anything it would be for a more powerful vocal.

That's all.......

• 3 weeks later...

It sounds like Michael Eden is not quite done ripping people. Over at Melodicrock.com, on the front page, you can find a link to an interview broken into 4 - 30 minute parts. Lots of ranting and finger pointing from what Andrew writes. Don't know how much more this will carify or make things better, but I for one won't waste a minute listening to any of that ranting interview.

It sounds like Michael Eden is not quite done ripping people. Over at Melodicrock.com, on the front page, you can find a link to an interview broken into 4 - 30 minute parts. Lots of ranting and finger pointing from what Andrew writes. Don't know how much more this will carify or make things better, but I for one won't waste a minute listening to any of that ranting interview.

I listned to most of it and to be honest found it hilarious in spots but in some spots I thought "should he really be telling everyone this". But I appreciate his honesty but in one breath he says he has nothing against anyone but then goes into ripping everyone apart. It will be interesting to see and hear what happens but according to Michael he is doing his own Eden's Curse around a new lineup so we will see if that actually happens. Either way I hope I hear someting from him again as I do like his voice and absolutely love the "Trinity" release. It guess I was a little surprised at how little if any they were paid for their shows but I guess that's just the way it is when you're not on a major label selling albums.

I didn't realise he was that same Michael St Allen guy. How did I miss that? :lol: If I understand correctly, that means he was the lead vocalist in this Seven Ten band (very good disc): http://heavyharmonies.com/cgi-bin/glamcd.cgi?BandNum=2205&CDName=Love+And+War

As for this news, well I have to agree with Glen's first statement in that his voice was the weak link in this band. I'm also a big fan of all three discs and it's not like I hate his vocals. But they did grate on me more as time went on. This band could sound a hell of a lot better with a more powerful voice. I must admit I don't see this as a bad thing at all, to be totally honest.

As for his rants - it's sad when a valid point gets made completely invalid in the way that someone carries themself. In the real world, I can understand the whole money thing if it's as bad as he says it is, but the way he carries on makes it very hard to sympathise with him, and also very hard to know what is fact and what is over-embelished, as he certainly comes across that way - very dramatic and over the top.