Firefest 2011

Glen

That was indeed "the" Blue Charvel, direct from 1984 for your viewing (and listening) pleasure. LOVED playing with the Newman guys, great musicians and really the coolest guys ever. They basically adopted me for the weekend, I felt like part of the band. Can't thank those guys enough really, looking forward to hanging out with them again as soon as possible. This year our main focus will be to get back on the damn bill for FF 2012 if it kills me. The guys are all on board, and if they give us the opportunity we will NOT let them down. Additionally if you really would like to see us next year, PLEASE let Kieran and the rest of the crew know... early, often, etc.! Based on the crowd's singing along with Over and Over I'm thinking we'd get a fine response!

Maybe we could have a fair-sized contingent from HH at next year's event...

That would be cool, wouldn't it? :)

Provided the line up isnt crap i'll be there again..............

I don't know the geographical layout for everyone in the UK, but I'm amazed that Glen is the only one who lists this as an essential date in his year. Soundwave in Australia is inferior to this festival by about a full 100%, but even still, as a music fan I wouldn't feel right missing out on this one essential event day per year. Obviously with Firefest it's a few days, but surely attendance for at least one day is a given? Oh, you creepy, creepy, creepy Brits... :(

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it's more a cost thing for most + Jez always seems to be gigging!!

How much does it cost per day, out of curiosity?

based on Firefest, £135 for 3 days and cheaper if you buy the early birds.

and probably added up with 2-nights hotel stay, transports, and meals, total cost could be £300-£400 (equals $450-$600) ?

well yeah for me, annually for that price is a bargain, especially you get to see a whole bunch of bands that you like, and to support the band / festival.

In Indonesia, to see a band probably you need to spend $40-$70, so the cost is about the same if you want to see 7-8 bands, and you get the bonus to travel there to enjoy the scenery and hotels and of course meeting folks that love the same music like we do :christmas:

Yeah £300 all in is about right - we do 2 days. But for that you get 14 bands, a whole weekend away, beer food etc. It's a real blast!

Nail on head. £300 is way out of my price range at the moment. (Although I could possibly save a bit by travelling with someone and splitting fuel costs.) Also got a stag weekend to pay for next year, so it will be tight, but at the moment I'm hoping to make it.

Yeah £300 all in is about right - we do 2 days. But for that you get 14 bands, a whole weekend away, beer food etc. It's a real blast!

Plus the airfare and train cost (Manchester - Nottingham) for me. Makes it a total of about £500, which is a fookin' lot ! :( But maybe next year .........

Plus the airfare and train cost (Manchester - Nottingham) for me. Makes it a total of about £500, which is a fookin' lot ! :( But maybe next year .........

Here's roughly how the cost breaks down for me.....you could probably do cheaper esp on the hotel

Ticket sat/sun - £90 (I think on early bird)

Petrol - £20

Hotel - £70 (2 nights inc breakfast)

Food - £20 (we rely on BIG breakfast at the hotel/burger mid afternoon and kebab late on - so pretty cheap!)

Beers - £60

cabs - £15

that works out at £275, but I know there are much cheaper deals on hotels in the centre of nottingham so you could do it for £250. Which aint bad all in..........

Here's roughly how the cost breaks down for me.....you could probably do cheaper esp on the hotel

Petrol - £20

Food - £20 (we rely on BIG breakfast at the hotel/burger mid afternoon and kebab late on - so pretty cheap!)

Beers - £60

cabs - £15

that works out at £275, but I know there are much cheaper deals on hotels in the centre of nottingham so you could do it for £250. Which aint bad all in..........

I stayed 7 nights at the Premier in the city centre for £275, which I thought was a delightful deal. Airfare for Kat and I was about £543 each for round trip non-stop from New Jersey to Birmingham and then another £55 total for the train. I did get in free thanks to Kieran and the crew so that was way cool.

Petrol - £20

Beers - £60

cabs - £15

I stayed 7 nights at the Premier in the city centre for £275, which I thought was a delightful deal. Airfare for Kat and I was about £543 each for round trip non-stop from New Jersey to Birmingham and then another £55 total for the train. I did get in free thanks to Kieran and the crew so that was way cool.

Great to see whats everyone's paying to get to firfest, here's my costs from Australia in Australian currency.

Tickets 3 nights 105 GDP ( $160, got this through a friend )

Return airfare Melbourne to London = $1250 (got this months in advance, airlines such as Air Asia were offering fares for way less than 1K throughtout this year)

Return train from London to Notthinham = 35 GDP ( roughly $55, this includes 8gp in postage & paypal fees as a friend of mine bought the train fares about 2 months ahead, otherwise I could pay as much as 120 GDP + for the train fare if bought on the day )

Accommodation = $0 ( stayed with friends for 5 nights :D however looking through various hotel sites close to venue, I saw alotta hotels being priced around 30 to 45 GDP per night upto 3 or more months ahead.

Spending money = 300 gdp ( roughly $460 ) for T shirts, CD's DVD's, food & drinks.

All up, this year I spent under $2000 for an awesome week in Notthinham, which is well under I usually spend.

I hope Firefest in 2012 will have more Australians & from neighbouring countries in Asia etc ovder.

Wow mate that's some serious dosh! You are a dedicated fan!! Let's make sure we get to meet at the 2012 gig !! Cheers

:agree:

Yep, respect is due!

Wow mate that's some serious dosh! You are a dedicated fan!! Let's make sure we get to meet at the 2012 gig !! Cheers

Yep, respect is due!

It'd be great to chat over a few brews for sure :)

How come you guys didn't meet at Firefest ??

He may be a creep ( ;) ) but there is no questioning Andre's dedication to the cause. Very interesting to see those costs from Australia. Obviously I could never dream of doing it myself, but very interesting nevertheless.

Yep, respect is due!

It'd be great to chat over a few brews for sure :)

How come you guys didn't meet at Firefest ??

Bernd, Glen & I planned on having a drink but I guess neither of us could find each other. Only found out Glen was prob a few metres away from me around teh front of the stage throughout the weekend + we're sarrounded by our own friends aswell.

He may be a creep ( ;) ) but there is no questioning Andre's dedication to the cause. Very interesting to see those costs from Australia. Obviously I could never dream of doing it myself, but very interesting nevertheless.

next year give up your 3 trips to tonga, and head over to firefest.

Haha. No more holidays for me forever. :( If I stay in this job, that is.

But yeah, I love my music, but not that much. :lol:

Seriously... A week in Tonga or a week in England? Hmmm. Sorry mate, no contest for me... even if Cauterize were playing in England. ;)

even if Cauterize were playing in England. ;)

Ha, that's an easy one ! They'd pay you to fly to the UK ! ;)

Haha. No more holidays for me forever. :( If I stay in this job, that is.

But yeah, I love my music, but not that much. :lol:

Seriously... A week in Tonga or a week in England? Hmmm. Sorry mate, no contest for me... even if Cauterize were playing in England. ;)

Ha ha yeah, but u dont get 18 awesome rock bands playing in Tonga!

Personally I am very jealous of anyone who lives a stones throw from Nottingham Rock City....so many awesome bands play at this venue....and if you wanted to you could pick and choose which Firefest day to go to and see 7 bands for just £45!! Amazing really!!

Some cool pics of our cool Mr. Blue Charvel (Pete Fry) at Firefest this year. Found on the MR.com forum:

Newman & Pete at Firefest 2011

:guitbannana: :guitbannana: :guitbannana: