Vain - Enough Rope

DaHun72

has anyone picked up this record yet?

I have a promo. Just rated this at 90% - which puts it in my top 5 so far in 2011. Basically any fan of the debut will love this - much more rocking than anything else they have done since the debut.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

weird, haven't seen the samples floating around the net, looks like Davy is very active shutting every promo down, but probably only in couple of days it'll surface, we'll see.

Still no sign of cheaper version on the net ?

Musicbuymail's price is always expensive especially on the new releases, and Spiritual Beast looks like handling the Jap version, which is also expensive, so best chance is to wait until Amazon UK has the reasonable price but still I doubt it'll go under GBP 10 :(

weird, haven't seen the samples floating around the net, looks like Davy is very active shutting every promo down, but probably only in couple of days it'll surface, we'll see.

Still no sign of cheaper version on the net ?

Musicbuymail's price is always expensive especially on the new releases, and Spiritual Beast looks like handling the Jap version, which is also expensive, so best chance is to wait until Amazon UK has the reasonable price but still I doubt it'll go under GBP 10 :(

Those water marked MP3s must be working then. Quite frankly I was amazed that Shy leaked - these people can now be EASILY traced........mad fools. I may be wrong, but I think we will see more and more that releases wont 'leak' until after release date.

Musicbuymail's price is always expensive especially on the new releases

You really think so ? I actually don't. Look at the new Rock Candy Electric Angels disc. RC are selling it on their own store for 11 GBP, MBM are selling it for 14€. Remember MBM are a reseller and a little margin should be allowed. Or even better the Stan Bush - "s/t" CD. RC are selling it for 13 GBP, MBM for 14.5 €. There is no price difference.

Just my 2 cents ....

You really think so ? I actually don't. Look at the new Rock Candy Electric Angels disc. RC are selling it on their own store for 11 GBP, MBM are selling it for 14€. Remember MBM are a reseller and a little margin should be allowed. Or even better the Stan Bush - "s/t" CD. RC are selling it for 13 GBP, MBM for 14.5 €. There is no price difference.

Just my 2 cents ....

Yeah friend, MBM did have several new released titles that's not available anywhere for decent prices, like L.A Cowboys or Pompei Nights, or maybe the titles you mentioned, but for most regular Frontiers/AOR Heaven/Nuclear Blast discs, I guess most of the time, Amazon UK is basically cheaper, but MBM fascinates me with the new shipping prices and lots of Special prices. I'll keep buying from them from time to time, it's just that for regular titles, Amazon looks better.

Just my 2 cents ....

Yeah friend, MBM did have several new released titles that's not available anywhere for decent prices, like L.A Cowboys or Pompei Nights, or maybe the titles you mentioned, but for most regular Frontiers/AOR Heaven/Nuclear Blast discs, I guess most of the time, Amazon UK is basically cheaper, but MBM fascinates me with the new shipping prices and lots of Special prices. I'll keep buying from them from time to time, it's just that for regular titles, Amazon looks better.

Yeah, gotta agree with Nightrain. Whilst the prices for new releases at most online vendors - MBM, AOR Heaven, NEH and Amazon are all basically the same, or every close, it's no doubt the free shipping at Amazon.uk that makes the difference. MBM's shipping rates are a lot better than before, but it still adds up quick and heavily.

I once talked to Sebastian (MBM) and asked why didn't they put up exceptional discounts on new releases because my assumption is CD buyers are getting rarer and rarer these days, therefore to boost sales volume, they should offer a better prices, but he claims that they only have very little margin, and he even give me an additional 5% discount for my future purchases because I'm considered a returning customer.

That's a very nice gesture by him and I respect him a lot for that, but it's sad to see that the fault isn't on MBM but probably from the label themselves that's been setting the price too high, or maybe because Amazon as their competitor was benefited by a very large bulk order that they get a monstrous discount, or probably Amazon did a cross-subsidization strategy, where they cut down some prices and redirect those losses to another goods, and keep changing those prices constantly (remember, Carrefour?). No wonder when I put White Widdow and Newman's new disc at my cart (they're only GBP 8.99 and it's before VAT-cut), and slowly browsing the other things, suddenly the prices jumped to 11.99, crap, need to take em out first and wait again :D

I recommend this idea to MBM (to keep changing price to attract people to visit them daily) but he said it will take too much time and effort, I agree with him. Amazon is able to do that because they have lots of manpower, not to mention that they're publicly-listed company, so their working capital is huge and almost limitless.

• 3 weeks later...

Just checked Music Buy Mail the ltd edition, which is available for pre-order consists of the CD, the Official Bootleg DVD that was released a while back, a sticker and a postcard. Nice package I guess especially if you want the DVD...works out around 21 Euros with shipping to Europe (which in REAL money is about £18.50).

I've just plumped for the £8.99 version on Play includes shipping, not bothered about the DVD.

I hope you didn't pre order it through Lonnie's label. :whistle:

I did... and I got mine last week.

He even sent me a couple free Hurricane CDs as a "thank you" for preordering.

Lonnie Rocks... :headbanger:

• 2 weeks later...

I'm purposely trying to hear as little of my "blind" pre-orders as possible so it's magic when I first listen... but I had to hear a snippet of what vibe to expect from this. Sounds very much like 'No Respect' era, as noted by other posters. So excited about this!

this is awesome, yesterday i ran it once and I found it to be highly enjoyable, and yes I agree it's very 'No Respect', btw I've read somewhere that this album is a collection of old songs recorded back in the days, is it true or are these all newly recorded songs ?

btw Amazon UK has it for GBP 8.99, so it's definitely in the cart right away :christmas:

Yep, all my pre-orders shipped over the weekend except this one, which is sitting in my pending deliveries at GBP 7.49 (after the tax removal). :) Can I get a hell yes? Hell yes. Now, roll on November 7 (?) I think is the release date?

As for the above post, sounds likely they might be songs written in the past, but it's all new recordings, isn't it?

Got the Japanese version today. Packaging is great, 2-cd jewelcase, plus includes the bonus track "Walk Away". Can't wait to throw this in the car on my way home from work today. :beerbang:

As far as I am aware, 4 of the tracks are older - ie written a while back, but all are new recordings.

Ive had the promo of this for a while now and it is excellent - on a par with the debut soundwise.

I rated it about 90%

• 1 month later...

After living with this for a couple of weeks I'm a little disappointed.... but that's because everyone's been saying the album is like No Respect - one of my favourite releases of all time.

Some random thoughts:

+ It sounds like Vain, and not other band sounds like Vain. It could have been released 15-20 years ago. Awesome.

+ Davy sounds great.

+ It's not as good as either No Respect or Move On It but definitely as good as All Those Strangers and better than Fade and any of Davy's solo releases.

- The production could be better on Davy's vocals in places and the guitars can sound quite tinny/whiney - they should be bigger, fatter, meatier sounding.

- The songs should have more guitar speed. Don't get me wrong the songs structures and drums are fine but part of the classic sound for me is that the second guitar would chug along, or in general the riffs were faster in No Respect. Anyway, a combo of the two is missing. Theres is nothing better than hearing those candy/syrupy vocals over pumping guitars.

- Linked to the guitar speed issue above. There is not as much building up and down within a song. It's all over No Respect and my fav Vain songs in general. There's just not much of it on Enough Rope except on the tracks Enough Rope and Vain. 'Filling' out the songs a little more in this way would have really improved the release IMO.

I do like it a lot and some of the songs are great but as people have already mentioned the best songs on here are nowhere near the quality of the medium to best songs on No Respect. Still, an incredible effort to put out a CD like this for the fans after all this time. Can only think of Treat who have blessed us so well after a long hiatus.

After living with this for a couple of weeks I'm a little disappointed.... but that's because everyone's been saying the album is like No Respect - one of my favourite releases of all time.

Some random thoughts:

+ It sounds like Vain, and not other band sounds like Vain. It could have been released 15-20 years ago. Awesome.

+ Davy sounds great.

+ It's not as good as either No Respect or Move On It but definitely as good as All Those Strangers and better than Fade and any of Davy's solo releases.

- The production could be better on Davy's vocals in places and the guitars can sound quite tinny/whiney - they should be bigger, fatter, meatier sounding.

- The songs should have more guitar speed. Don't get me wrong the songs structures and drums are fine but part of the classic sound for me is that the second guitar would chug along, or in general the riffs were faster in No Respect. Anyway, a combo of the two is missing. Theres is nothing better than hearing those candy/syrupy vocals over pumping guitars.

- Linked to the guitar speed issue above. There is not as much building up and down within a song. It's all over No Respect and my fav Vain songs in general. There's just not much of it on Enough Rope except on the tracks Enough Rope and Vain. 'Filling' out the songs a little more in this way would have really improved the release IMO.

I do like it a lot and some of the songs are great but as people have already mentioned the best songs on here are nowhere near the quality of the medium to best songs on No Respect. Still, an incredible effort to put out a CD like this for the fans after all this time. Can only think of Treat who have blessed us so well after a long hiatus.

Yep, couldn't have said it better myself. I agree with most of that.

Due to the massive hype around this one I was maybe a little "disappointed" initially, but not because it's not a great CD - it definitely is. But it's also not 'No respect,' that's for sure. I'd put this comfortably at 4th in their collection behind 'No Respect,' 'All those strangers' and 'Move on it.' It's definitely a lot better than 'Fade,' Davy's solo and 'On the Line' - all of which I do like a lot. But this is top tier stuff, imo.

As it is I still rated the disc 89% but I feel it takes a little while to get started. I like all 4 of the first 4 songs plenty, but I really feel like the album explodes from 'Cindy' onwards. 'Cindy,' Enough Rope,' 'Vain,' 'Distance of Love' and 'Worship you' is Vain at their best. Utterly brilliant stuff, and the strength of these songs maybe overshadows some otherwise very good songs... but not as good as these. :)

Anyway, the end result is that it's a killer comeback from an amazing band... and indeed, Davy is so unique and brilliant, and it's a real joy to hear him back on something so awesome.