The MR.com 100% club & perfect ratings in general

whiplash1972

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not a big deal here. Just everyone's tastes are different. It's a damn fine album that rated 86% on 1st spin and gradually grew to a solid 92%. 100% is the ultimate disc. Is this it?

100% to me says "this is a damn fine album that I'm loving and will continue to love for a long time to come. There's nothing I'd change about it and recommend it to everyone."

I can say that with a 92% rating!!!! :rofl2::lol:

Yeah, to each their own. My simple take on it is that if every song on an album is 100% perfect, then the album deserves a 100% score. I'm yet to encounter this album, though I personally have rated Cauterize's 'So far from real' a 99%. Which is a heavy display for "to each their own."

For the record, I threw a 91% at Degreed.

I guess the difference between 5/5 or 10/10 scoring systems, and the M.R. method of giving a % out of 100, is why we are obsessed with it.

I usually accept 5 star ratings or 10/10 that you normally see everywhere, because it offers a rather limited scale to differentiate so easily, and can be treated a little more "casual". But having 100 points to play with presents a lot more opportunities for in-depth analysis and dropping points for the odd little fault here or there, so giving a perfect 100 could be taken less seriously and possibly even affect the credibility of the reviewing system as a whole.

That's probably why it generates discussion, and I can think of loads of albums that are brilliant and I'd play for a long time to come, but still wouldn't get 100% perfection.

Yeah you're right.
Anyone going to give a 9.9/10 as a rating?
5/10 9/10 10/10 - easy with whole numbers

Rating out of 5 is harder because many would see 4/5 as 80%

Yeah, to each their own. My simple take on it is that if every song on an album is 100% perfect, then the album deserves a 100% score. I'm yet to encounter this album, though I personally have rated Cauterize's 'So far from real' a 99%. Which is a heavy display for "to each their own."

+1 (except for the Cauterize comment)

This has been discussed to death here and of course is all opinion.

Some folk tend to rate an album 10/10 or 100% if they really love every song which is fine.

I (as does Geoff) tend to rate every song individually and not every song across the album can be an absolute killer - there will always be a lull somewhere and that's why (up until now), I've not encountered a 100% album.....pretty damned close, but not 100%.

That said this is a killer album and well worthy of a score around or in excess of 90%.

In fact lets just summarise : best album of 2015 so far

Is that easier ;-)

Some folk tend to rate an album 10/10 or 100% if they really love every song which is fine.

I (as does Geoff) tend to rate every song individually and not every song across the album can be an absolute killer - there will always be a lull somewhere and that's why (up until now), I've not encountered a 100% album.....pretty damned close, but not 100%.

That said this is a killer album and well worthy of a score around or in excess of 90%.

Is that easier ;-)

Agreed!

Is that easier ;-)

NOT the best for me.

err 100 ? 92 ? 91 ? definitely way too overrated, the correct answer is 83.3 :D

Many things overrated this year....this is not one of them.

100 = perfection, but 10/10 gives more room to move? What's perfection on that scale then? 11? 12?

Anyway, I'm happy with the scores I hand out. Very few 100s and very few over 95....mostly in the 70-89 range, which is solid album and important to fans of the artist.

If it's shit...I say so, that's the most important aspect.

All I know is that the 100% rating made me get off my ass I finally order the damn cd.

When I see a 100% on MR I don't expect it to become the greatest ever, but I know if I'm already a fan, I'm gonna love it.

err 100 ? 92 ? 91 ? definitely way too overrated, the correct answer is 83.3 :D

Many things overrated this year....this is not one of them.

Overrated to me

I'm just happy Andrew has the ammunition album in this year. I want to include it in my best of 2015.

I'd say the trixter is 100 percent. Can't stop playing that one.

Trixter would be close to 100% if i was rating the last 4 songs ;-)

I'm just happy Andrew has the ammunition album in this year. I want to include it in my best of 2015.

I'd say the trixter is 100 percent. Can't stop playing that one.

Trixter would be close to 100% if i was rating the last 4 songs ;-)

'For you' itself chops about 10% off the score of that album...