JettBlack

Mullethead

Yeah, sorted it out guys. The instructions are definitely not suited for non-regulars at Amazon.

Basically, what it comes down to is yes, sure you can get free shipping to Australia. As long as you buy a brand new and very pricey CD only. Stuff like Pride, Vega, Unruly Child's newies are all there. But 99.9% of all the CDs on the site - including all the good ones - are not included. And the GBP isn't exactly the most friendly currency to convert against, and by the time all currency conversions are complete you're still paying as much as, if not more than you would if you bought the CD from a US site with normal shipping rates. :(

On the "plus" side, I guess, I did find a few really cheap albums at the around GBP$3 mark which I just bought anyway. With shipping per CD and currency conversion the "bargain" aspect of it gets swallowed instantly, but I still got a few good finds.

Slowly understanding how Amazon works, I can kind of understand the separate shipping costs because you're buying from countless different buyers. What I cannot comprehend, is I bought 3 CDs off one buyer and I have to pay the full shipping rates three times over. How is that even remotely supposed to be fair? C*nts.

Anyway, if anyone has some good recommendations for Super Saver Bargains on Amazon UK I'd really appreciate being led in the right direction. :)

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

See the separate buyers will never be in any super saver delivery bracket as they are individuals like you or me, or people who do it as a business.

I dont see why any CD sold by Amazon themselves would not be included, and they do a shit load of cheap CDs.

I was buying Alice Cooper albums from there when I was building up his collection, and most were only around £4 each.

To qualify for any postage discounts you have to buy direct from Amazon.

Market place can be hit or miss anyway as the prices dont always work out better than the Amazon price once you factor in postage, and the dispatch times can be horrible.

Amazon will dispatch the same day or next day, but marketplace traders can often take their own sweet time (plus a lot of them ship from other countries).

Obviously all the newer releases are somewhat pricey, but even then, if its on a bigger label, you can get some sweet deals from time to time.

See the separate buyers will never be in any super saver delivery bracket as they are individuals like you or me, or people who do it as a business.

I dont see why any CD sold by Amazon themselves would not be included, and they do a shit load of cheap CDs.

I was buying Alice Cooper albums from there when I was building up his collection, and most were only around £4 each.

To qualify for any postage discounts you have to buy direct from Amazon.

Market place can be hit or miss anyway as the prices dont always work out better than the Amazon price once you factor in postage, and the dispatch times can be horrible.

Amazon will dispatch the same day or next day, but marketplace traders can often take their own sweet time (plus a lot of them ship from other countries).

Obviously all the newer releases are somewhat pricey, but even then, if its on a bigger label, you can get some sweet deals from time to time.

Yeah, sadly from my whole want list - all 214 titles - the only one available in the Super Saver free shipping is the Pride one. As I said above, Unruly Child and Vega and stuff were there too, but I'll get them cheaper elsewhere soon enough, I'm sure.

I wish there was a category where you could search through what hard rock / AOR / glam titles they had available for the free shipping. No doubt there's a few good ones, but how would you find them?

geoff, i remember buying Vega and Unruly Child from Amazon UK since it's the cheapest, do you know any other website that's cheaper than them ?

(i guess international order will enjoy a 15% discount and the shipment price for each item with jewel case is around US$3.5 after conversion so it's pretty good price for me)

(i guess international order will enjoy a 15% discount and the shipment price for each item with jewel case is around US$3.5 after conversion so it's pretty good price for me)

please explain this 15% discount...?

Me too please.

Me too please.

just put some stuff in my cart and went to checkout.

price dropped.

looks like maybe they drop the tax component off.

Me too please.

price dropped.

Really? Hmmm, I might give it a sneaky go.

Me too please.

price dropped.

Wowser. Actually it worked for me too. Very interesting. I wonder if there's anything I should make sure I get with this in mind?

Seriously, sorry Jared. Did I start this? If I did, please excuse me.

Me too please.

price dropped.

Wowser. Actually it worked for me too. Very interesting. I wonder if there's anything I should make sure I get with this in mind?

white widdow, hell in the club... work out to $13-something each, assuming tax is dropped and shipping is free.

yes, that's why i guess Amazon UK is the cheapest. My friend told me about it when I started ordering from them probably a year ago. 15% is probably the tax-free for international orders, and if I don't count it wrong, every 4-5 CDs will be charged for around $3.5 shipment price, and there are no additional charges if they ship it in different packages.

that's why Amazon is still the best for new releases, but usually, if you see the price is still GBP 10.99 - 12.99 (still expensive), we should wait around a month or two, there's a chance it will be dropped to 8.99 or 9.99, if there's no drop at all, then maybe it's the lowest price they can give (usually still cheaper if compared to other retailer).

I just realized it when I quickly order First Signal album for GBP 10.99 only to found it's dropped to 8.99 in two weeks :(

Me too please.

price dropped.

Yeah probably but the world would not be a better place if it were Geoff-less ;)

yes, that's why i guess Amazon UK is the cheapest. My friend told me about it when I started ordering from them probably a year ago. 15% is probably the tax-free for international orders, and if I don't count it wrong, every 4-5 CDs will be charged for around $3.5 shipment price, and there are no additional charges if they ship it in different packages.

that's why Amazon is still the best for new releases, but usually, if you see the price is still GBP 10.99 - 12.99 (still expensive), we should wait around a month or two, there's a chance it will be dropped to 8.99 or 9.99, if there's no drop at all, then maybe it's the lowest price they can give (usually still cheaper if compared to other retailer).

I just realized it when I quickly order First Signal album for GBP 10.99 only to found it's dropped to 8.99 in two weeks :(

Yeah, for brand new CDs if you can get the free shipping as well as the tax deduction, it makes them very competitive. For us Aussies, without that free shipping you'd be better off with a place like CDWOW I think, but Amazon has a few more releases. Like Lindsay, I picked up Hell In The Club and Distorted Wonderland at excellent prices, but also a few others like the Pride CD at a much cheaper price than anywhere else on the net. Pretty happy overall.

Me too please.

price dropped.

Yeah probably but the world would not be a better place if it were Geoff-less ;)

:lol: It'd sure he a hell of a lot less handsome, that's for sure.

Just out of interest, what is your customs like though?

I hate those bastards over here when I order something from the States (which often as not, I dont get a tax reduction on) and it goes over their threshold, and they sting me for it.

Hell, I was recently selling all my F1 models on eBay, and unsurprisingly a lot of them went to bidders in Brazil. Those poor bastards get stung even worse as they would ask me to lie on the customs sticker about the value, and the bastards at their customs would open the package and say "we think they are worth five times that" and sting them anyway.

I even had one guy have it done to him when it had the genuine price on the sticker.

I have to say, its interesting that the UK arm of Amazon knocks off the VAT, as whenever I have ordered from the US arm, I never get any kind of reduction to my knowledge. Will have to look at my orders and see if it did or not.

Hmmm, just looked at a previous order and it says £0.00 in the tax section, but the item price is still the same as what is listed on the site.

Just created an order to check the basket, and its the same.

Item says it's $13.49. Check the basket, and it says that the item price is $13.49 and tax is $0.00.

Does Amazon.com not include tax in the listed prices?

If you create an order on the UK site, when you check the basket, the item price is less than the listed price but once you add the value in the tax section, it adds up to the listed price.

Honestly mate, compared with the rest of the world our customs seem to be okay. I have heard of people who have had issues, but as far as CD or book trading/buying goes, I have never had an issue in over a decade.

A lot of opened parcels, but seemingly only for inspection... never any extra charges incurred.

FYI, I have never had any price reductions from the US either - Amazon or otherwise - due to tax. The only other place I have experienced it before is AOR Heaven and I think Schmankerl aswell, where I have bought items at a price and once in my inbasket they're a little cheaper.

I admit I was a little worried the other day - made by far my most expensive internet purchase on a new camera lens. It was literally half the price on the interweb that is in shops here and I was worried there might be some import duty/tax, but came through fine. Half the price what it is here... still amazed.

yes it's that good mate

@geoff : i did a quick search at cdwow, looks like they're offering free delivery for anything, but i can't seem to find any Frontiers releases there, or maybe a right place if you want to buy major label albums only ?

i checked out Mr.Big What If and the lowest price is around £10.79 while amazon UK is only £8.99 before discount (also around $18 on aussie site)

OK is this disc really that good it looks like it got good reviews? I could care less about shipping costs because Amazon is in the US. :nyanya:

Yes it's that good. Come to think of it I have two copies of this disc.

yes it's that good mate

@geoff : i did a quick search at cdwow, looks like they're offering free delivery for anything, but i can't seem to find any Frontiers releases there, or maybe a right place if you want to buy major label albums only ?

i checked out Mr.Big What If and the lowest price is around £10.79 while amazon UK is only £8.99 before discount (also around $18 on aussie site)

Wow, that's weird. Just checked myself to re-confirm, and yeah, you're right. Can't find any of those Frontiers releases. Very odd, as I bought most of them there last year. I wonder what happened...

If you waited for the $2 off sales you'd generally get them around the au$16 mark - delivered free, of course. :)

yes it's that good mate

Wow, that's weird. Just checked myself to re-confirm, and yeah, you're right. Can't find any of those Frontiers releases. Very odd, as I bought most of them there last year. I wonder what happened...

If you waited for the $2 off sales you'd generally get them around the au$16 mark - delivered free, of course. :)

yes will keep my eyes open on that site tx :)

Just got my ticket to the co-headlining show with Heavens Basement in London.

Got the Cinderella ticket as well, so just waiting on my Fozzy one and I will have the full set.

I can honestly say that Jettblack are an amazing band live as well as on record, which is why this will be my fourth time seeing them.

I'm guessing we may get a sample of the new tracks, which will be cool.