Any collecting regret

Hadley

Have you ever passed up an album, only to regret it later? One time this happened to me, the local goodwill had a bunch of old frank zappa and alice cooper vinyl albums for .50 each. IIRC, these were original pressings as well. For some reason i didnt get them, thinking "i'll come back later". Well, the very next week i went and they were all gone.

Have you ever passed up an album, only to regret it later? One time this happened to me, the local goodwill had a bunch of old frank zappa and alice cooper vinyl albums for .50 each. IIRC, these were original pressings as well. For some reason i didnt get them, thinking "i'll come back later". Well, the very next week i went and they were all gone.

Good question and I'm sure I've done this more than once, I just can't think of any specific examples. There are probably a lot more CDs I've regretted actually buying though...

Can't really regret not buying what I couldn't afford anyway, but there was this one dude at a Record Fair I used to go to every 3 months or so. He had a stall there twice, and both times I bought a bunch of CDs off him - all rare, all great prices. I got his phone number and we chatted a bit, but I wish I'd been older (I was about 16 at the time) and with a car and could have helped him relocate his whole collection to my house. :lol:

He was an old "hair metal" fan who was getting rid of everything and I really could have started off with an amazing collection for a great price. I wonder where all those CDs went... :(

I wonder where all those CDs went... :(

I've got them ... !! ;)

:lol: I wish ...

Can't really regret not buying what I couldn't afford anyway, but there was this one dude at a Record Fair I used to go to every 3 months or so. He had a stall there twice, and both times I bought a bunch of CDs off him - all rare, all great prices. I got his phone number and we chatted a bit, but I wish I'd been older (I was about 16 at the time) and with a car and could have helped him relocate his whole collection to my house. :lol:

He was an old "hair metal" fan who was getting rid of everything and I really could have started off with an amazing collection for a great price. I wonder where all those CDs went... :(

Well it turns out some went to me :) and then everything else went to a local second hand shop.

I bought a Satriani 12" Always With Me, Always With You clear vinyl single and a bunch of CDs as well.

I remember he had Vain promos singles for $1.....

Well it turns out some went to me :) and then everything else went to a local second hand shop.

I bought a Satriani 12" Always With Me, Always With You clear vinyl single and a bunch of CDs as well.

I remember he had Vain promos singles for $1.....

I remember getting Pretty Boy Floyd - 'LBWET' (Jap), Cold Sweat - 'Break out', Valentine - s/t and Heart Throb Mob - 'Hit List' amongst others. Hmmm, what were the others? I remember the singles too. I think maybe he had Southgang's 'Tainted Angel' and every time I saw it my heart skipped a beat thinking it was the full album?

About 12+ years or so ago I was at the local Hastings and they had marked all their Mobile Fidelity Gold CDs down to like $7 bucks each! Someone had just marked them all down and put them all in the new addition section of the used CD section and there had to be like 30-50 of them and I didn't buy any of them because none were hard rock CDs. I wish I had bought them all now knowing what they sell for these days.

One that sticks out the most is the Debut c.d. of 70's southern rock band HYDRA.

I've seen it in the bin at my favorite c.d. store, but I never heard of the band. The album cover looked like a progressive rock band's cover, so I passed.

It is now going for large dollars. :doh:

about 6 or 7 years back, we were taking a roadtrip thru South Jersey, somewhere in the middle of nowhere, near Cowtown, Salem County we came across a junk store. We went in and they had a big rack of one dollar cd's, nothing special until I came across a stack of about 10-12 Magnum "No Secrets" still sealed. I picked up one for myself, not realizing how much they were worth. A few weeks later I couldn't find the cd anywhere, not in my car or in the loft where I keep my cds, it just had disappeared and I just forgot about it.Until a few months later we passed the store again and the junk store was gone, replaced with a RV truck center. Never to be found again...

For me I regret buying CDs (rare or not) only for them to be remastered/reissued 2-3 years later.

Very frustrating especially when the reissues then retail for half of the price you paid for the originals.

I totally agree.It's pisses me off to the max,but if it's remastered and with bonus tracks i'm a sucker for that and will replace the original press.

There are 3 cd's I specifically remember "passing" on and my reasoning for doing so at the time was/is just stupid.

1) Lion-Trouble In Angel City Logic: "I have this on cassette so I don't need it on CD?!??!" The price was $5.99 at the WHerehouse Records.

2) & 3) Hurricane-Slave To The Thrill and Over The Edge. This decision was more of a financial one, I had the dough, but at $8.00 each I said no. I have them both now and paid FAR less than that, but the Over The Edge cd was autographed!

2) & 3) Hurricane-Slave To The Thrill and Over The Edge. This decision was more of a financial one, I had the dough, but at $8.00 each I said no. I have them both now and paid FAR less than that, but the Over The Edge cd was autographed!

Did that tool Lonnie ask you to wait for "his" releases ?? ;)

I used to work in a used cd store in the late 90's and that was when everyone was dumping off their 80's rock because it wasn't "cool" anymore. However, at the time I was going to school and had no disposable income to be spending on all the great stuff that came in. Plus I never realized just how rare some of those cd's really were. I remember a guy bringing in a box of about 100 rare hard rock cd's that were all Jap imports. I about crapped my pants, but unfortunately the most we were able to offer was $5 per disc no matter what, so he decided no to sell them.

I had a Vain - "Beat The Bullet" single in my hands at a pawn shop for $1.00 but put it back (stupid stupid) as well as an original Ozzy Live & Loud with the metal cover in beautiful condition for $4.00 that I also passed on.

My biggest regret is always going to be not buying Airbourne's debut EP 'Ready to Rock' for $10 at a local gig. Could have bought as many copies as I wanted. Now it sells for $500 a pop.

Now, how do I begin this? How about passing on an original pressing of FRANCE - Lay it on Me because the front insert has alot (and I mean ALOT) of writings. And 1st Avenue's Tears and Triumph for about a couple of cents US (this was in the Philippines). These (there were more than 10!) 1st Avenue CDs were sealed/brand new. I got one Tindrum's Cool, Calm and Collected for the same price like that of 1st Avenue. If I only knew that I can trade them, I could have bought at least 10. I'm pretty sure there were still other hair band CDs there that I passed on at this particular time because I still don't know any of them. And these 1st Avenue and Tindrum were sold in a local (Philippine) record company's office. They had a big sale and I went out of my way to search for that building. The Tindrum CD was Zero (Japan) pressing.

I remember choosing between a RIOT "Born in America" and LION's "Trouble in Angel City". I chose Riot.

Tony Palacios' "Epic Tales of Whoa" in a thrift store.

Love/Hate - Black Out in the Red Room TWICE. The second time I came across it, the front insert has some water damage. The first time - I was just stupid.

Icon - Night of the Crime. Because I was saving my money.

Love/Hate - Black Out in the Red Room TWICE. The second time I came across it, the front insert has some water damage. The first time - I was just stupid.

Is this one rare now? I've seen that plenty of times through the years but always assumed it was still pretty common. :(

Wow mate, passing up on any "hair metal" CD for a few US cents personally blows me away. Especially one that isn't a common Poison, Bon Jovi or Motley Crue one. Even for a few cents I think I'd pick bands like that up, just in case. :)

Is this one rare now? I've seen that plenty of times through the years but always assumed it was still pretty common. :(

Wow mate, passing up on any "hair metal" CD for a few US cents personally blows me away. Especially one that isn't a common Poison, Bon Jovi or Motley Crue one. Even for a few cents I think I'd pick bands like that up, just in case. :)

No. Absolutely no Poison, Bon Jovi, Motley Crue. These are what I was looking for because at that time, these famous bands are all I knew. But on that sale, all they got were "unknowns" like Tindrum. Probably at that time, if I saw a Da Vinci or Nasty Idols I'll pass them up.

Now, how do I begin this? How about passing on an original pressing of FRANCE - Lay it on Me because the front insert has alot (and I mean ALOT) of writings. And 1st Avenue's Tears and Triumph for about a couple of cents US (this was in the Philippines). These (there were more than 10!) 1st Avenue CDs were sealed/brand new. I got one Tindrum's Cool, Calm and Collected for the same price like that of 1st Avenue. If I only knew that I can trade them, I could have bought at least 10. I'm pretty sure there were still other hair band CDs there that I passed on at this particular time because I still don't know any of them. And these 1st Avenue and Tindrum were sold in a local (Philippine) record company's office. They had a big sale and I went out of my way to search for that building. The Tindrum CD was Zero (Japan) pressing.

I remember choosing between a RIOT "Born in America" and LION's "Trouble in Angel City". I chose Riot.

Tony Palacios' "Epic Tales of Whoa" in a thrift store.

Icon - Night of the Crime. Because I was saving my money.

That's some pretty tough luck there mate, sorry to hear it.

Having thought about this, the only one I can remember was Unruly Child's debut CD that I could have got for £2 (or less) at a car boot sale 6 years ago. I bought 5 CDs for about £7 just as the woman was packing up and that was the one I left behind. One of the CDs I did pick up was Beggars & Thieves, which I thought at the time might be worth selling on. Not only did I dislike the album, I don't think I even got £1 for it. :doh:

One of my biggest regrets is one I could have gotten for free..

My friend played drums for the band THE LOST. He was going to give me a c.d. called Demos. I think they made about 50 to 100 copies. I turned it down, because I had no c.d. player. :doh: I did take a copy of the cassette instead. The fuckin' thing broke last year... :crying:

• 3 weeks later...

OMG, so many CDs I let go, either because I didn't have the money or I didn't know the band at that time. One I can remember was

TRIUMPH - Progressions Of Power (Japanese pressing w/ OBI), a couple of years ago in a pawnshop, very cheap, but I left it behind because I didn't know the band at that time.

Not so much collecting purchase, but I could have made some cash on the side..

Two weeks ago, I went to the flea market to hunt some c.d. finds. I came across a box of c.d.'s. Only one c.d., but about 50 to 75 of them (Still Sealed). I had no idea what type of music it was, so I decided to only pick one copy for myself. The woman told me hat she didn't know what type of music it was. She told me she got them from a storage unit purchase.She was selling them for a dollar each.

The c.d. in question was Gorath-Elite and it's pretty good Black Metal. I went back last week and they were all gone.. :doh:

Two weeks ago, I went to the flea market to hunt some c.d. finds. I came across a box of c.d.'s. Only one c.d., but about 50 to 75 of them (Still Sealed). I had no idea what type of music it was, so I decided to only pick one copy for myself. The woman told me hat she didn't know what type of music it was. She told me she got them from a storage unit purchase.She was selling them for a dollar each.

The c.d. in question was Gorath-Elite and it's pretty good Black Metal. I went back last week and they were all gone.. :doh:

Hey cdjunky, from your posts I think you are from Jersey also, what flea markets do you hit ?

Most of my best finds are from flea markets, you have to go thru alot of crap, but sometimes you get lucky..

Hey cdjunky, from your posts I think you are from Jersey also, what flea markets do you hit ?

Most of my best finds are from flea markets, you have to go thru alot of crap, but sometimes you get lucky..

I am from Jersey. The Flea market in question was Collingswood auction. My past 3 purchases from the flea market, were from there. It does get to be a lot of digging, but you do get some keepers..

I am from Jersey. The Flea market in question was Collingswood auction. My past 3 purchases from the flea market, were from there. It does get to be a lot of digging, but you do get some keepers..

The digging is my favorite part...

I hate going to some place and seeing the rack with 10 cd's all country. Would much much rather rifle through a frickin dumpster chock full of cd's, even if they all turned out to be crap. :)