Rock of Ages - Theatre Show

DaHun72

Hey All, was looking at checking out the Rock of Ages musical which is now playing in Melbourne. Anyone seen it here in Aus or the US? Is it worthwhile?

For the missus and I to go it will be around $300 so I want to be sure coz that could buy a lot of CDs ;)

I saw it in Toronto the week before Christmas. Pretty good show, funny, sexy and the music and vocalists were excellent. Because we went on a Tuesday and the show is nearing it's end in Toronto, we only paid 40$ a ticket, a real steal. The only problem was the fact Team Canada the junior hockey team had a game that same night and finding a decent place to eat was neary impossible.

• 2 months later...

Sorry I missed this earlier this year.

I've seen it 4 times. (Thrice on Broadway and once on tour.) The Broadway cast (of course the originals) were phenomenal. The Sherri that took over was good too. The tour cast, even though it contained Constantine, was all new and was still good. I don't think they stood up to the BW cast, but then again, I already had a high bar for them to be able to reach (originals of almost everything I like better).

Hope you attended and enjoyed. (If you are an 80s child, I can't imagine you not loving this show!)

Russell Brand will be PERFECT for Lonnie. Beyond that, I'm not excited about anyone else, but I don't know how true to the musical the movie will really be. (Since I don't go to the movies virtually at all anymore, I don't think this cast, so far, will break me out of that habit.)

If you watch the Today video, during Don't Stop Believin, if you look behind the main stage (cast) or during Here I Go Again (around 8:10), you'll see Lonnie, who can also be seen on TV as Keystone Light's Keith Stone. (By the way , he was so perfect in this role, I can't really see him as Stacee Jaxx... nor can anyone replace James Carpinello. I don't see how Tom Cruise will work in that role.)

I saw this in Melbourne a month or so ago and I have to say I had a ball. From the minut you get to the venue 80s hair metal is playing in the foyer, nice and loud. Kind of like being in a cool bar or club back in the day. From there it only gets better. The band were awesome, especially the lead guitarist.... nice and loud. The show had some hot chicks and was a good laugh. Check it out.

HSF, Cruise can do good sleazy..... remember Magnolia and Tropic Thunder?

Sorry DH, can't say as I do. (Now that you mention it, I vaguely remember him in Tropic Thunder, but I was nowhere near in love with that flick like everyone else and never saw the other.)

It's not so much the sleaze factor either as the age/requirements of the role. But, he can/does look young for his age and who knows how much the movie will differ from the stage show. I guess I'll reserve judgment of his portrayal, but I'm not a fan of Cruise the person (or Cruise the image), so I guess that was where my statement originated.

Agree with your assessment of the musical though! If you arrive at the theatre early, it's a 3 hour blast! :guitbannana:

Yeah the age is an issue for Cruise but he can do sleazy really well. To be honest I've not liked him in anything since the first Mission Impossible and I thought Tropic Thunder was horrible as well. Check out Magnolia, he doesn't have a big part.... freaky movie!

At the end of the day I think it's really cool that this is being made into a big budget flick. Wonder how much of a change it will be from the stageshow (plot, style etc.) as well as the music. Looking at the director looks like it might be pretty close to the stageshow.... here's hoping!

• 4 weeks later...