Anyone Else Use www.gohastings.com?

Fat Freddy

http://www.gohastings.com

I've seen quite a few folks here mention that they've made good CD finds at "Hastings" book & music stores but have never been to one myself since they don't have any locations in my area. However, I just took a gander through their web site and was very pleasantly surprised at the rock-bottom prices on many used CDs, so I took the plunge and ordered a half dozen or so goodies. The whole order cost me less than $25 including shipping. Can't beat that with a stick.

Anyone else use their site? This is strictly a "test" for me, my experience with this order will determine if I use them again in the future.

Just curious.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

just took a look and very nice. question, how do you get rid of that stupid black bar across the middle of the page that has "my wish list", "My Account" and so on. it covers some important info like letting me choose new or used.

Haha, I'm afraid you're on your own, man... today was the first time I used their site and yeah, it's kind of a nightmare to navigate, but hell, at these prices I'll put up with a little annoyance.

Here's what I gots comin':

Motorhead - 1916 for $1.49

Krokus - HEADHUNTER BLITZ (best-of) for $1.82

Tesla - MECHANICAL RESONANCE for $2.79

Anthrax - SPREADING THE DISEASE for $3.93

Death Angel - ACT III for $2.53

With shipping added, the whole kit-n-kaboodle came to $23 and change. :masturbanana:

Even my wife, who would normally say "Goddammit, you ordered MORE CDs?" in situations like this, had to (grudgingly) admit that I "did good." :cheer:

Do I understand correctly that they only ship within the US?

I was going to take a look but if that be the case I guess I not bother. :(

Yeah, I believe they're U.S. and Canada only, G. Sorry man. :P

As a matter of fact I first found out about the site from an Aussie on another forum who was bummed that they don't ship outside of North America.

Yeah, I believe they're U.S. and Canada only, G. Sorry man. :P

As a matter of fact I first found out about the site from an Aussie on another forum who was bummed that they don't ship outside of North America.

Punks. If you could let them know I want to fight them I'd appreciate it. :)

just took a look and very nice. question, how do you get rid of that stupid black bar across the middle of the page that has "my wish list", "My Account" and so on. it covers some important info like letting me choose new or used.

Haha, I'm afraid you're on your own, man... today was the first time I used their site and yeah, it's kind of a nightmare to navigate, but hell, at these prices I'll put up with a little annoyance.

Here's what I gots comin':

Motorhead - 1916 for $1.49

Krokus - HEADHUNTER BLITZ (best-of) for $1.82

Tesla - MECHANICAL RESONANCE for $2.79

Anthrax - SPREADING THE DISEASE for $3.93

Death Angel - ACT III for $2.53

With shipping added, the whole kit-n-kaboodle came to $23 and change. :masturbanana:

Even my wife, who would normally say "Goddammit, you ordered MORE CDs?" in situations like this, had to (grudgingly) admit that I "did good." :cheer:

Did you see they currently have a "buy 2 used cd's get the 3rd free" sale going on?

Did you see they currently have a "buy 2 used cd's get the 3rd free" sale going on?

Unfortunately, I DIDN'T see that till I'd already pulled the trigger and placed my order... :doh: Oh well. I'm told they do specials like this often so I'll get it next time.

This order's already got one strike on it by the way. I got an e-mail from Hastings a little while ago sayin' that one of the items on my order (Motorhead's 1916) was being "cancelled" from it because it's out of stock. D'OH! It figures, that was the one I really wanted to get, too.

Oh well, as long as they can pony up the other four discs on my order, I guess I can't complain too much.

Got two e-mails from Hastings today telling me that two of the CDs I ordered have been shipped. Wondering where that leaves the remaining two discs I requested. Hope I don't get "cancellation" e-mails on them as well.... :blink:

Unfortunately, I DIDN'T see that till I'd already pulled the trigger and placed my order... :doh: Oh well. I'm told they do specials like this often so I'll get it next time.

This order's already got one strike on it by the way. I got an e-mail from Hastings a little while ago sayin' that one of the items on my order (Motorhead's 1916) was being "cancelled" from it because it's out of stock. D'OH! It figures, that was the one I really wanted to get, too.

Oh well, as long as they can pony up the other four discs on my order, I guess I can't complain too much.

I almost ordered Motorhead's 1916 from their site yesterday also! I had it on cassette but never on cd. It's a great release IMO.

They had one cd I was looking at (and I can't remember which one it was) but the used price was $11.99 and the new price was $12.49. I was like WTF???

I almost ordered Motorhead's 1916 from their site yesterday also! I had it on cassette but never on cd. It's a great release IMO.

Same with me... I've been meaning to stock up on some more Motorhead discs anyway and I figured I'd start by upgrading the old tape copy of "1916" since it was so damn cheap, aaaaaaannnddd.... DENIED :angry:

Just checked the status of my order @ their site and it sez that the Anthrax and Tesla discs have shipped, and the other two on the list are "in progress," for whatever that's worth. I hope that means they'll be OK. :blink:

They had one cd I was looking at (and I can't remember which one it was) but the used price was $11.99 and the new price was $12.49. I was like WTF???

I was looking earlier at some Triumph cds and came across this

Allied Forces

Triumph

Available in: Used - Audio Compact Disc Audio Compact Disc

Usually Ships Within 48 Hours.

Used $18.91

New $12.99

So there looks to be a few glitches in the system. Still the other prices on the Triumph cds were really good

I was looking earlier at some Triumph cds and came across this

Allied Forces

Triumph

Available in: Used - Audio Compact Disc Audio Compact Disc

Usually Ships Within 48 Hours.

Used $18.91

New $12.99

So there looks to be a few glitches in the system. Still the other prices on the Triumph cds were really good

Another glitch in their system is if you go to search for Blue Oyster Cult it will pull up nothing because they have it listed as Blue Öyster Cult with the dots over the O. But, if you search for Blue Öyster Cult it also finds nothing because their system doesn't recognize the Ö! :lol: So I had to search for Blue Cult and it seemed to work ok that way.

Now that you guys mention it, I did notice that the site had Quiet Riot's METAL HEALTH priced at something like 5.49 new but used copies were 6.99. Figure that one out. :lol:

Got two e-mails from Hastings today telling me that two of the CDs I ordered have been shipped. Wondering where that leaves the remaining two discs I requested. Hope I don't get "cancellation" e-mails on them as well.... :blink:

I got two more e-mails from Hastings overnight informing me that the other two discs have shipped as well. So that means everything (except the Motorhead disc....*sigh*) is on its way. :masturbanana:

just got a reply back saying it is a know problem with browser to try a different browser

Got my first two discs from Hastings today, in separate packages. That struck me as odd. Does this mean that all four CDs I ordered will be in separate envelopes? I guess the orders don't go to a central "hub," and that they must call up whatever store location has the CDs in stock and sez "Yeah, take (name of disc) off the shelf and mail it to (name of customer)?"

Anyway, both discs arrived in fine shape, they're both nice clean copies, booklets and inserts are in great shape, I have no complaints. If the other two CDs I ordered (which I hope will arrive within the next day or two) arrive in the same condition, then I will definitely be using Hastings again in the future.

Still bummed about them being out of stock on that Motorhead disc tho. *SIGH*

I used to pick up just killer stuff at the Hastings where I live, about 2 times a year they would have a HUGE cutout bin and I would pull a LOT of rare stuff out of them, one time I picked out 12 copies of the first Boulevard CD for a buck each, the lady at the counter thought I was an idiot buying 12 copies of the same CD. Now the store sucks since they sell most of their stuff online now, don't find shit anymore in their actual stores.

Got my first two discs from Hastings today, in separate packages. That struck me as odd. Does this mean that all four CDs I ordered will be in separate envelopes? I guess the orders don't go to a central "hub," and that they must call up whatever store location has the CDs in stock and sez "Yeah, take (name of disc) off the shelf and mail it to (name of customer)?"

Anyway, both discs arrived in fine shape, they're both nice clean copies, booklets and inserts are in great shape, I have no complaints. If the other two CDs I ordered (which I hope will arrive within the next day or two) arrive in the same condition, then I will definitely be using Hastings again in the future.

Still bummed about them being out of stock on that Motorhead disc tho. *SIGH*

That's how they do it. They get your order, find a store that has it in stock and have them mail it. That's why they charge shipping for each item, not a bulk shipping charge. Did the envelopes come from different mailing addresses?

That's how they do it. They get your order, find a store that has it in stock and have them mail it. That's why they charge shipping for each item, not a bulk shipping charge. Did the envelopes come from different mailing addresses?

I didn't look closely @ the envelopes but yea, I would assume they must've. Rather odd way of doing business, I gotta say.

I didn't look closely @ the envelopes but yea, I would assume they must've. Rather odd way of doing business, I gotta say.

I agree. But that store does several things in odd ways. One is they used to allow you to trade in 4 used cd's for one new cd. The only thing was, it didn't matter what 4 cd's you were trading in, as long as they scanned into the computer they would give you credit. So what I would do is go to their 50 cent bin, buy a bunch of cd's, turn around and bring in $2.00 worth of cd's for a brand new $16.00 cd!

Another thing they do screwy is they have a ton of cutout or hole-punched brand new/sealed cd's they keep in a discount bin (usually 99 cents to $4.99). But the stupid thing is they put a new barcode sticker over the top of the old barcode that simply says "generic cd". Now the problem with that is they had a TON of great 80's hard rock that was still brand new/sealed but you couldn't look the album up in the computer because it was listed as "generic cd" in the computer, not Blue Tears, Tattoo Rodeo, Dirty Looks, etc. So they probably still have a bunch of cd's that people would be willing to buy in a heartbeat if only they could be found in the database!

I agree. But that store does several things in odd ways. One is they used to allow you to trade in 4 used cd's for one new cd. The only thing was, it didn't matter what 4 cd's you were trading in, as long as they scanned into the computer they would give you credit. So what I would do is go to their 50 cent bin, buy a bunch of cd's, turn around and bring in $2.00 worth of cd's for a brand new $16.00 cd!

Now that's what I call beatin' the system! Nice one. I wish Hastings had a store in my area so I could go there and try that trick myself. :P

Another thing they do screwy is they have a ton of cutout or hole-punched brand new/sealed cd's they keep in a discount bin (usually 99 cents to $4.99). But the stupid thing is they put a new barcode sticker over the top of the old barcode that simply says "generic cd". Now the problem with that is they had a TON of great 80's hard rock that was still brand new/sealed but you couldn't look the album up in the computer because it was listed as "generic cd" in the computer, not Blue Tears, Tattoo Rodeo, Dirty Looks, etc. So they probably still have a bunch of cd's that people would be willing to buy in a heartbeat if only they could be found in the database!

That is indeed weird. On the other hand, look at it this way... if those discs aren't in the database, then you don't have any online-shopper competition for'em, they're all sitting in the "generic" bins in their stores waiting for you (and anyone else who's hip enough to know what to look for)!!