What 10 songs perfectly describe your musical taste?

Glen

Yeah cool I can relate to all that.....really is pretty similar to myself

However from a purely selfish point of view (ie Im trying to gleam some new stuff I might not have heard before!) what do reckon are 10 classic or your favs from that genre?? If its some obscure / great stuff even better. Pretty much Im finding this is the only way I discover new stuff, cos Ive pretty much trawled everything I can think of over the years.

So far really pleased to have heard Winter Rose, Slyboyz & Friction from this thread all of which are great!!

Cheers

Warrant - Cherry pie

That surprises me. Ive been listening to a lot of Warrant just lately, and I would have to say, aside from that being the 'famous' single, I reckon its just about the worst song on the album!

I guess we are 'describing a style' here tho, not selecting yr fav song....or is it??

I reckon UTC, Mr Rainmaker, I Saw Red, Love In Stereo, Blind Faith etc all zap that song from existance.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've got everything from Warrant to Sepultura in my collection so I'd say that even though my tastes remain mostly within the hard rock/metal umbrella, they're still all over the place.

These are just off the top of my head so if you asked me on another day you might get a completely different list...

Warrior Soul - "Love Destruction"

Mentors - "Four F Club"

W.A.S.P. - "Animal (F**k Like A Beast)"

Overkill - "Feel the Fire"

AC/DC - "Let There Be Rock"

Ramones - "Teenage Lobotomy"

Raven - "Take Control"

Def Leppard - "Saturday Night (High-N-Dry)"

KISS - "God of Thunder"

Metallica - "Metal Militia"

I wonder if pushed to pick a Kiss song, how many would choose 'God Of Thunder'?? I really like it, and its always sounded awesome on Kiss Alive II....but. Hey ho it is metal after all, and that's your list through and through. :beerbang:

I've got everything from Warrant to Sepultura in my collection so I'd say that even though my tastes remain mostly within the hard rock/metal umbrella, they're still all over the place.

These are just off the top of my head so if you asked me on another day you might get a completely different list...

Warrior Soul - "Love Destruction"

Mentors - "Four F Club"

W.A.S.P. - "Animal (F**k Like A Beast)"

Overkill - "Feel the Fire"

AC/DC - "Let There Be Rock"

Ramones - "Teenage Lobotomy"

Raven - "Take Control"

Def Leppard - "Saturday Night (High-N-Dry)"

KISS - "God of Thunder"

Metallica - "Metal Militia"

I wonder if pushed to pick a Kiss song, how many would choose 'God Of Thunder'?? I really like it, and its always sounded awesome on Kiss Alive II....but. Hey ho it is metal after all, and that's your list through and through. :beerbang:

What can I say, I'm a Gene Simmons fanboy. :lol:

Obviously there were dozens of KISS songs I could've picked from but as I said, this list was off the top of my head and if I wrote it tomorrow, you'd probably get another, totally different 10 songs...

Not necesaarily my favourite songs, but songs that explain my musical tastes..

a bit of hair, a bit of bubblegum, a bit of glam-punk, a bit of 80s rock

Bon Jovi - Wild Is The Wind

Big Bang Babies - Everybody Need A Hero

Hardcore Superstar - We Don't Celebrate Sundays

Heart Throb Mob - Groupie Girl

Star*Star - The Love Drag Years

Alleycat Scratch - Stiletto Strut

Crashdiet - Riot In Everyone

Peppermint Creeps - Heartbleed

Pretty Boy Floyd - Leather Boyz

Crazy Lixx - Heros Are Forever

I only know 5 of those songs........and they are all awesome, so will be good to check the others and see if they stack up. Nice list mate !

which are the one that you know?

I might be able to give an indication if you're likely to enjoy the others.

i had a bit of trouble picking a peppermint creeps song. Although Heartbleed is not 100% typical of thier stuff, is is a song that reminds me of Traci Michalez (their drummer that passed away a few years ago). He's they guy flipping you the bird in my avatar (not the pic in my signiture).

Dirty Rhythm - Feel The Fire

Man, I love you for writing that........just listened to this & I love it. Another one to track down! lol. :guitbannana:

Haha... yeah another very solid disc. The ballad, 'I can't wait' is absolutely stunning and would certainly not be far off one of these lists for me.

I was surprised with your list too, Lindsay. All very nice tunes that I also dig. I thought there'd be a bit more of that gritty, unpolished sleaze on the punky side of life. You impress me. ;)

I was surprised with your list too, Lindsay. All very nice tunes that I also dig. I thought there'd be a bit more of that gritty, unpolished sleaze on the punky side of life. You impress me. ;)

would have liked to have added some Crystal Pistol, Crank Couty Daredevils, Hell City Galmours, Deadthings or even some Buckcherry. If i coulda had '20 songs' then you woulda seen a lot more dirty sleazy rock in there.

Yeah cool I can relate to all that.....really is pretty similar to myself

However from a purely selfish point of view (ie Im trying to gleam some new stuff I might not have heard before!) what do reckon are 10 classic or your favs from that genre?? If its some obscure / great stuff even better. Pretty much Im finding this is the only way I discover new stuff, cos Ive pretty much trawled everything I can think of over the years.

So far really pleased to have heard Winter Rose, Slyboyz & Friction from this thread all of which are great!!

Cheers

Warrant - Cherry pie

That surprises me. Ive been listening to a lot of Warrant just lately, and I would have to say, aside from that being the 'famous' single, I reckon its just about the worst song on the album!

I guess we are 'describing a style' here tho, not selecting yr fav song....or is it??

I reckon UTC, Mr Rainmaker, I Saw Red, Love In Stereo, Blind Faith etc all zap that song from existance.

I love that song. It was the song that hooked me on the band, and its always the go back to song.

I agree that its not their best song, but I always fluctuate on what songs I think are the best with them.

That album as a whole is one of those few and far between albums that I think are perfect, as I love every song on it.

So yes, it is my favourite song by them and it isnt ... see how I like to make things easy?

Thankfully I am not one of those people that gets sick of songs because they are overplayed.

Sometimes I have compiled CDs or playlists with all the most obvious songs by the likes of Warrant, Poison, Ratt, Jovi, Crue etc, and god they make me happy.

Not necesaarily my favourite songs, but songs that explain my musical tastes..

a bit of hair, a bit of bubblegum, a bit of glam-punk, a bit of 80s rock

Bon Jovi - Wild Is The Wind

Big Bang Babies - Everybody Need A Hero

Hardcore Superstar - We Don't Celebrate Sundays

Heart Throb Mob - Groupie Girl

Star*Star - The Love Drag Years

Alleycat Scratch - Stiletto Strut

Crashdiet - Riot In Everyone

Peppermint Creeps - Heartbleed

Pretty Boy Floyd - Leather Boyz

Crazy Lixx - Heros Are Forever

I only know 5 of those songs........and they are all awesome, so will be good to check the others and see if they stack up. Nice list mate !

which are the one that you know?

I might be able to give an indication if you're likely to enjoy the others.

i had a bit of trouble picking a peppermint creeps song. Although Heartbleed is not 100% typical of thier stuff, is is a song that reminds me of Traci Michalez (their drummer that passed away a few years ago). He's they guy flipping you the bird in my avatar (not the pic in my signiture).

Holy shit, I seriously thought that was you!! lol, what the hell do I know eh?????!

The ones I dont know are nos 2/4/5/6/8......and i'll be checking them all out on Sat evening :-))

Cheers

Dirty Rhythm - Feel The Fire

Man, I love you for writing that........just listened to this & I love it. Another one to track down! lol. :guitbannana:

The whole 'Hard As A Rock' album is excellent. :headbanger:

I know that now ;-))

Cheers

Like Captain Howdy I'm listening to a lot of genres atm so i'm gonna try and pick a song from each genre (roughly) :)

In no particular order obviously...

1. L.A Woman - The Doors

2. White Rabbit - Jefferson Airplane

3. Lay Your Hands On Me - Bon Jovi

4. March Of The Pigs - Nine Inch Nails

5. Touchdown - Bob James

6. Blitzkrieg Bop - The Ramones

7. Burn - The Cure

8. Wild Boys - Duran Duran

9. Dirty Little Girl - Burn Halo

10. Born To Be Wild - Steppenwolf

And an honourable mention to Would? - Alice In Chains :) x

Blind Guardian - And Then There Was Silence

Wildside - Hair of the Dog

Roxx Gang - Ball n Chain

WASP - The Great Misconception of Me

Dark Angel - Death is Certain

Forbidden - Forsaken at the Gates

Heart Throb Mob - Rock n Roll

Helloween - Halloween

Rush - Working Man

Pyramaze - Sleepy Hollow

I was just going to cheat and say Green Carnation - Light of Day, Day of Darkness :whistle:

Roxx Gang - Ball n Chain

Helloween - Halloween

Rush - Working Man

Pyramaze - Sleepy Hollow

I was just going to cheat and say Green Carnation - Light of Day, Day of Darkness :whistle:

You just did! ;)

Roxx Gang - Ball n Chain

Helloween - Halloween

Rush - Working Man

Pyramaze - Sleepy Hollow

You just did! ;)

I meant as one of my ten since that song is basically 10 songs without the breaks in between each one. :)

Guest Metal Mark

Iron Maiden-The Prisoner

The Exploited-Horror Epics

Hanoi Rocks-Cafe Avenue

Motorhead-Rock it

Alice Cooper-Desperado

The Police-Syncronicity 2

Judas Priest-Desert Plains

Overkill-Raise the dead

Van Halen-Mean Street

Led Zepplein-Rain song

This covers everything from growing-up to now. Is a pretty diverse list but would sum up every genre I love...

CHICAGO - "Hard Habit To Break" (my Dad loved them so this was embedded in my brain)

EUROPE - "Superstitious" (my fave AOR song of the 80's)

NIGHTWISH - "Nemo" (love the more commercial symphonic stuff)

WHITESNAKE - "Here I Go Again" (my highlight of 80's Hair Metal)

METALLICA - "Eye of the Beholder" (this one got me into heavy metal,love that intro riff)

DEICIDE - "Dead By Dawn" (the first DM band/song that was proper scary)

KILLSWITCH ENGAGE - "The End of Heartache" (the start of Metalcore for me)

BRING ME THE HORIZON - "Chelsea Smile" (more modern stuff, the best modern Metal song bar none IMO)

ALTER BRIDGE - "Open Your Eyes" (love this post-grunge modern rock, this song is epic)

30 SECONDS TO MARS - "Closer to the Edge" (love modern rock,& this is a perfect example)

Not a song I thought I'd see on this board, but awesome all the same. Truly evil vocals. :banger:

Not a song I thought I'd see on this board, but awesome all the same. Truly evil vocals. :banger:

Wow, nice pick, man! That reversed solo scared the shit out of me back then. The first two Deicide albums are classics btw. :headbanger:

Wow, nice pick, man! That reversed solo scared the shit out of me back then. The first two Deicide albums are classics btw. :headbanger:

Backed. I thought all of "Deicide"/"Legion" and "Once Upon the Cross" were all killer (though the latter was a bit overproduced). I miss Benton doing those production-effects on his vocals as it made the whole thing more eerie. These days he sounds like a wheezing old dog waiting to be put to sleep...

Backed. I thought all of "Deicide"/"Legion" and "Once Upon the Cross" were all killer (though the latter was a bit overproduced). I miss Benton doing those production-effects on his vocals as it made the whole thing more eerie. These days he sounds like a wheezing old dog waiting to be put to sleep...

Im interested in this now....need to hear this 'scary' track on you tube.

Isnt Benton that maniac with an upsidedown cross on his forehead??

That's him. Play "Dead By Dawn" loudly in headphones with the lights-off and you'll genuinely think the Devil himself is in the room with you...

Indeed. Here's an old photo of him with a nice Charles Manson feeling. ;)

glenbenton-grp-0905.jpg

That's him. Play "Dead By Dawn" loudly in headphones with the lights-off and you'll genuinely think the Devil himself is in the room with you...

oh lovely I cant wait.........tonight, I think?? :unsure: