What 10 songs perfectly describe your musical taste?

Glen

This is impossible but here we go:

Guns N Roses - You Could Be Mine

Iron Maiden - Children of the Damned

Dio - Don't Talk To Strangers

Black Sabbath - Heaven & Hell

Armored Saint - Reign of Fire

Judas Priest - Touch of Evil

Vain - Beat the Bullet

Tyketto - Forever Young

Tesla - Had Enough

Kiss - Cold Gin

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some nice lists, especially the one from Glen. Impossible as many have said, but here's something off the top of the head which I hope gives some sort of description:

Von Groove - 'Sweet pain'

Roxus - 'Midnight love' (good call, Glen)

Steelhouse Lane - 'Still'

Steelhouse Lane - 'Seven Seas'

Danger Danger - 'Don't break my heart again'

Pretty Maids - 'Love and a fiction'

Bonfire - 'Say goodbye'

Warrant - 'All my bridges are burning'

Casanova - 'Love lies'

Blue Tears - 'Blue Tears'

The reserves I had to include in the post somewhere:

Vain - 'No Respect'

Cauterize - 'Porcelain'

Vain - 'No Respect'

and another Vain song.

Right Im gonna check this song and 'Beat The Bullet' and see if Vain are a band I need to investigate.

Cheers

Vain - 'No Respect'

and another Vain song.

Right Im gonna check this song and 'Beat The Bullet' and see if Vain are a band I need to investigate.

Cheers

OK, so I listened to a bit of Vain - their debut album I think, nice enough pretty basic sleaze glam stuff. I'll persevere with it, but first impressions leave me with the feeling it's something that has been totally eclipsed by the more recent awesome stuff by the likes of Crashdiet, Crazy Lixx, HS etc etc.

I can't believe you've never checked out Vain, even though a large group of us have gone on about them for years. Craziness. Yeah, perservere, mate, the debut, 'All those strangers' and 'Move on it' are absolute classics of the genre, imo. Especially 'No Respect'... utterly essential.

So, uh, I made up my list on the spur of the moment at work yesterday, but here's a totally new version of what I came up with overnight, just randomly thinking of tracks and making a note of them. I think you'll agree it's every bit as good as the first list:

'Afraid of love' - Danger Danger

'Dorianna' - Paul Laine

'Down and lonely' - Friction

'Going going gone' - Danger Danger

'Looks like love' - Wildside

'Must be dreaming' - Frontline

'Shattered' - PC69

'Solitaire' - Slyboyz

'Staying away' - Harem Scarem

'Terri' - Swedish Erotica

'No More Lookin' Back' - Poison

This is why i love threads like this......just listening to this on You Tube and really like it! Is the whole album as good as this??

Cheers

This is why i love threads like this......just listening to this on You Tube and really like it! Is the whole album as good as this??

Cheers

Barely any songs on any album ever are as good as that one as it's pretty much the best song ever recorded, but to answer your question, yes, the CD is pretty bloody good. Far and away one of the best indies to come from the 90's, with the production to match too.

You'll split your pants over stuff like 'Lovers lane' and the great ballad, 'Wave goodbye to a friend.' And overall there's some pretty great stuff on the CD - 'Baby Talk.'

Cheers

Barely any songs on any album ever are as good as that one as it's pretty much the best song ever recorded, but to answer your question, yes, the CD is pretty bloody good. Far and away one of the best indies to come from the 90's, with the production to match too.

You'll split your pants over stuff like 'Lovers lane' and the great ballad, 'Wave goodbye to a friend.' And overall there's some pretty great stuff on the CD - 'Baby Talk.'

Cheers, and for the record I love that Slyboyz song as well. Cant believe I havent heard that before either. Killer stuff!

Do you think you could just randomly post 10 songs every now and again so I can check em out!! lol ;-))

Cheers

Cheers, and for the record I love that Slyboyz song as well. Cant believe I havent heard that before either. Killer stuff!

Do you think you could just randomly post 10 songs every now and again so I can check em out!! lol ;-))

Yeah, the Slyboyz album is well documented here and everyone is of the same opinion. There are undoubtedly fillers on board, but when they get it right they get it right like few bands could. The album, 'Good time music,' is well worth getting for 'Solitaire', 'What Is Love', 'The Higher You Get', 'Autumn Angel', 'Hold on to My Heart' and 'Dreamin' alone. All 6 songs are immaculate, even if the rest is a bit of a mixed bag. FYI the guy on keys and an additional guitarist went on to become Savannah.

Haha, okay mate, as I think of anything oustanding I'll be sure to drop it here for a new list. ;)

'Shattered' - PC69

IMO nothing compares to 'Shelter'......100% the best PC69 song.

Almost Harem Scarem in its awesomeness.

:-)

The riff in 'Shattered', along with Winger's 'Junkyard dog', are two of my favourite riffs of all time. :)

No way I can do it as my musical taste is far too wide reaching, being that I listen to pretty much every type of music in some form or another.

That goes for me too. I'm too eclectic to do such list. :)

You must have a favourite style tho?? I love most types, but those songs are the pinnacle for me. You know that style.......

From my perspective I'd say I am primarily a rock fan, but there are times when I would rather listen to something non rock.

I go through phases as well, whereby I will constantly be listening to this band, or that genre.

For instance, there was a time about 3 or 4 years ago, when I went through a country phase. Granted it included country/southern rock as well, but it was predominantly the old twangy guitar time for me.

I can be as happy as anything jamming out to Motley Crue, get hooked on Neil Diamond or singing my head off to Bobby Darin.

While I will always have my old favourites, I'd be hard pressed to single out specific tracks that describe my musical tastes.

I mean, even within the rock spectrum I switch from Poison to Anthrax to Stuck Mojo to Kid Rock to Avril Lavigne and nearly all points in between.

No way I can do it as my musical taste is far too wide reaching, being that I listen to pretty much every type of music in some form or another.

You must have a favourite style tho?? I love most types, but those songs are the pinnacle for me. You know that style.......

From my perspective I'd say I am primarily a rock fan, but there are times when I would rather listen to something non rock.

I go through phases as well, whereby I will constantly be listening to this band, or that genre.

For instance, there was a time about 3 or 4 years ago, when I went through a country phase. Granted it included country/southern rock as well, but it was predominantly the old twangy guitar time for me.

I can be as happy as anything jamming out to Motley Crue, get hooked on Neil Diamond or singing my head off to Bobby Darin.

While I will always have my old favourites, I'd be hard pressed to single out specific tracks that describe my musical tastes.

I mean, even within the rock spectrum I switch from Poison to Anthrax to Stuck Mojo to Kid Rock to Avril Lavigne and nearly all points in between.

Interesting mate. I had you labelled as a sleaze/glam favourite.

My musical taste has basically gone through 3 stages.

1979-1982 NWOBHM & metal bands in general.

1982-1985 Primarily AOR and backed up to about '78

1986 onwards primarily MHR..........although of course I still listen to all genres.

Vain - 'No Respect'

and another Vain song.

Cheers

OK, so I listened to a bit of Vain - their debut album I think, nice enough pretty basic sleaze glam stuff. I'll persevere with it, but first impressions leave me with the feeling it's something that has been totally eclipsed by the more recent awesome stuff by the likes of Crashdiet, Crazy Lixx, HS etc etc.

I agree that Vain is average at best and bands like Crashdiet & Crazy Lixx are waaay better.......I've never understood the worship they receive from certain quarters...

Firehouse - Don't Treat Me Bad

Warrant - Big Talk

Megadeth - Symphony of Destruction

Bryan Adams - Thought I'd Died And Gone To Heaven

Winger - Seventeen

Danger Danger - Turn It On

Red Dawn - Flyin' High

Giant - You Will Be Mine

38 Special - Caught Up In You

Bad English - Best Of What I Got

Cheers

Pretty great stuff...how about the best damn indie EVER!!!! They are all great musicians seen them live a couple of years back.

Firehouse - Don't Treat Me Bad

Warrant - Big Talk

Megadeth - Symphony of Destruction

Bryan Adams - Thought I'd Died And Gone To Heaven

Winger - Seventeen

Danger Danger - Turn It On

Red Dawn - Flyin' High

Giant - You Will Be Mine

38 Special - Caught Up In You

Bad English - Best Of What I Got

Is this 'spot the odd one out'? Great tune though!

1986 onwards primarily MHR..........although of course I still listen to all genres.

Yeah, glam and hair metal is probably my predominant musical taste, but for me to rule out anything above anything else is just impossible.

If I had to pick my all time favourite bands, it would more than likely be dominated by those big haired, lipstick wearing Johnnies of the 80s, but I couldnt exclude a Neil Diamond, a Huey Lewis or an Elvis Presley, cause these bands/singers have been there for the bulk of my life, and have meant different things to me at different points of my life.

I've always had the opinion that good music is good music. It doesnt matter whether I normally like a genre, an artist or whether the artist is classed as talentless or a waste of space. If a song or artist hooks me, who am I to ignore that?

I grew up with a sister and brother who were over a decade older than me, and a mother that listened to Terry Wogan and Jimmy Young on radio 2 in the mornings, so the music I was exposed to was not what all the other kids were listening to. I was a bit of a late comer to the likes of Duran Duran and Wham in the 80s, which were all the rage, as I was listening to Elvis, Beatles, Bay City Rollers & Tom Jones among others.

When I was old enough to buy my own records, I'd buy pretty much anything and everything I liked, regardless of what it was as I had no idea of what was and wasnt fashion.

Hell, I would go into a news agent and buy chart singles that were a few months out of date for silly money like 50p each, and I'd buy anything I had heard and liked months before. I'd walk out with singles by Elton John, Duran Duran & Zodiac Mindwarp, for instance.

By the time I left school at 16, I started buying albums. This lead me to picking up not only chart orientated albums, but also picking up best ofs by classic artists people would rave about, to see whether I liked them.

This lead me to artists like Rolling Stones, James Brown, The Eagles and George Benson, among others.

By the time I was 17 I then got into the heavier stuff (starting with glam bands like Poison and GNR), and that was it. But I have never been one to turn my back on the music that initially hooked me.

Long boring story, but there ya go.

Yeah, glam and hair metal is probably my predominant musical taste,

Yeah cool I can relate to all that.....really is pretty similar to myself

However from a purely selfish point of view (ie Im trying to gleam some new stuff I might not have heard before!) what do reckon are 10 classic or your favs from that genre?? If its some obscure / great stuff even better. Pretty much Im finding this is the only way I discover new stuff, cos Ive pretty much trawled everything I can think of over the years.

So far really pleased to have heard Winter Rose, Slyboyz & Friction from this thread all of which are great!!

Cheers

Alright, here's my list considering the MHR genre:

Giant - Chained

Lion - Victims Of Circumstance

Saraya - White Highway

Bon Jovi - You Give Love A Bad Name

Dirty Rhythm - Feel The Fire

Extreme - Suzi (Wants Her All Day What?)

Firehouse - All She Wrote

Hurricane - Smiles Like A Child

Tesla - Makin' Magic

John Norum - Counting On Your Love

Yeah, glam and hair metal is probably my predominant musical taste,

However from a purely selfish point of view (ie Im trying to gleam some new stuff I might not have heard before!) what do reckon are 10 classic or your favs from that genre?? If its some obscure / great stuff even better. Pretty much Im finding this is the only way I discover new stuff, cos Ive pretty much trawled everything I can think of over the years.

So far really pleased to have heard Winter Rose, Slyboyz & Friction from this thread all of which are great!!

Cheers

Yep, that Winter Rose one is another classic. Funnily enough, 'One Last Time' was on the first "Best Of" compilation CDR I ever made about 6-8 years ago. Love that tune. Throw in 'I'll Never Fall in Love Again' and 'Saved by Love' which could also be on any of these lists, plus the rest of the CD which is great, and you have yourself an essential disc. :)

Not necesaarily my favourite songs, but songs that explain my musical tastes..

a bit of hair, a bit of bubblegum, a bit of glam-punk, a bit of 80s rock

Bon Jovi - Wild Is The Wind

Big Bang Babies - Everybody Need A Hero

Hardcore Superstar - We Don't Celebrate Sundays

Heart Throb Mob - Groupie Girl

Star*Star - The Love Drag Years

Alleycat Scratch - Stiletto Strut

Crashdiet - Riot In Everyone

Peppermint Creeps - Heartbleed

Pretty Boy Floyd - Leather Boyz

Crazy Lixx - Heros Are Forever

Not necesaarily my favourite songs, but songs that explain my musical tastes..

a bit of hair, a bit of bubblegum, a bit of glam-punk, a bit of 80s rock

Bon Jovi - Wild Is The Wind

Big Bang Babies - Everybody Need A Hero

Hardcore Superstar - We Don't Celebrate Sundays

Heart Throb Mob - Groupie Girl

Star*Star - The Love Drag Years

Alleycat Scratch - Stiletto Strut

Crashdiet - Riot In Everyone

Peppermint Creeps - Heartbleed

Pretty Boy Floyd - Leather Boyz

Crazy Lixx - Heros Are Forever

I only know 5 of those songs........and they are all awesome, so will be good to check the others and see if they stack up. Nice list mate !

Cheers

I think my list would be fairly well known tunes to be honest, as I am not the biggest fan of some of the indy releases that some people rave about here.

Off the top of my head, and picking only one song per band I'd go with something like this:

Motley Crue - Kickstart my heart (this is an easy one as I have long said this is the one song I cannot live without)

Poison - Fallen angel

Pretty Boy Floyd - Leather boyz

Lita Ford - The ripper

LA Guns - Rip & tear

Tigertailz - Love bomb baby

Enuff Z Nuff - Bang on (original version that has never been on any of their albums)

Twisted Sister - I am (I'm me) or is it (I am) I'm me?

Cinderella - Gypsy road

Warrant - Cherry pie

See, nothing that original or unusual I am afraid.

I am about as commercial as anyone can get.

Funny thing is, among most of my rock listening friends, the stuff I listen to would be classified as obscure.

Mention the likes of Pretty Boy Floyd or Phantom Blue, for example, and they would just shrug their shoulders and ask "who?"

I've got everything from Warrant to Sepultura in my collection so I'd say that even though my tastes remain mostly within the hard rock/metal umbrella, they're still all over the place.

These are just off the top of my head so if you asked me on another day you might get a completely different list...

Warrior Soul - "Love Destruction"

Mentors - "Four F Club"

W.A.S.P. - "Animal (F**k Like A Beast)"

Overkill - "Feel the Fire"

AC/DC - "Let There Be Rock"

Ramones - "Teenage Lobotomy"

Raven - "Take Control"

Def Leppard - "Saturday Night (High-N-Dry)"

KISS - "God of Thunder"

Metallica - "Metal Militia"