Picks posted for the HH Best of 2010!

heavyharmonies

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I bought that LInkin Park disc since I heard one song from a soundtrack a couple of months ago which was really good. When I pu in the disc I thought I have got the wrong disc. I usually quite openminded when it comes to music but I could not deal with that disc. I thought it was complete rubbish ;).

But I'm 100 % with you Dan on Treat and Pretty Maids. That Treat would make such an comeback album was a real schock to me but a nice one. :headbanger:

I'll add my 2cents, not that anyone really cares.

1) I never bought the Pretty Maids and now I feel I've gotta do it. Must be the best release I never picked up.

2) I can't believe no one had Crashdïet in their top 5, that one along with the Treat were my 2 favs of the year. Also suprised not to see any love for the releases from ALLEN/LANDE, Reckless Love and White Widdow....I guess It just goes to show the huge amount of quality that came out in 2010.

3) Speaking of 2010, I saw one of the guys had a picture of Revelution Renaissance - New Era on their list, I think that one actually came out in 2008. But maybe it was re-issued with bonus material as many releases are doing so.

Let's hope for another excellent vintage year for 2011. :drink:

I'll add my 2cents, not that anyone really cares.

1) I never bought the Pretty Maids and now I feel I've gotta do it. Must be the best release I never picked up.

2) I can't believe no one had Crashdiët in their top 5, that one along with the Treat were my 2 favs of the year. Also suprised not to see any love for the releases from ALLEN/LANDE, Reckless Love and White Widdow....I guess It just goes to show the huge amount of quality that came out in 2010.

3) Speaking of 2010, I saw one of the guys had Revelution Renaissance - Era on their list, I think that one actuanlly came out in 2008. But maybe it was re-issued with binus material as many releases are.

I agree that White Widdow disc is something special.

Great stuff guys as always. Some I agree with and some I don't but am happy to see that Pretty Maids, Crazy Lixx, RATT and Crashdiet are getting some love. Also surprising to see Pete list Jettblack #1, not that I don't think it's great(I do) just didn't expect anyone to have it #1 so that's cool. Also happy see a couple of you list Fozzy 'Chasing the Grail' in their also rans or Honorable Mentions. That's a excellent disc but for some reason very overlooked IMO. I guess it's just been one of those years with so many great albums.

Just as an addendum to my picks, I got in a batch of CDs early last week, all from 2010, which I have not had time to properly listen to: Unruly Child, White Widdow, Two Fires, Bombay Black, Michael Bormann, & Wicked Sensation. In all fairness to these CDs, my initial impression has been quite good with each of them, so most of them would probably have gotten at least an honorable mention if I could have given them more time to "sink in".

3) Speaking of 2010, I saw one of the guys had Revelution Renaissance - Era on their list, I think that one actuanlly came out in 2008. But maybe it was re-issued with bonus material as many releases are doing so.

Yes the New era disc was acually released 2008.

Fun. Great to see Pretty Maids and Treat fair so well as they were two of my faves of the year too. I guess I could agree with Dave (lol, as our lists were not worlds apart) in my surprise at the absence of Crashdiet in the top 5's, as well as little recognition for White Widdow (you're off the hook on that one, Mike, with your explanation above. ;) )

Anyway, nice work, guys, always a cool read.

And for modern rock, looks like My Darkest Days was the clear choice there. Interesting one. I too enjoyed that CD... big recognition for it here. Good stuff, though.

WOW....clearly Crazy Lixx's Cd was tops this year. ONE person had it in their top 5. I KNEW Treat was gonna be in almost all the lists, even though it was the first CD out last year. More time to listen to it I guess. Personally, I think the picks are too ecclectic to be taken very seriously. Why not add Rascal Flatts too, or Lee Dewyze? Perhaps some Lady Gaga? Some of these picks wouldn't even be included in the annals of HH. I'm left shaking my head.....as always. :whistle:

Why not add Rascal Flatts too, or Lee Dewyze? Perhaps some Lady Gaga? Some of these picks wouldn't even be included in the annals of HH.

I'm a little confused as to where you're going with this. If it ends up being essential I'll go and review the lists again, but based on my read this morning I didn't see anything that was not a rock album in those lists. So how does that translate into your suggestion to add country and dance/pop artists in the lists?

Why not add Rascal Flatts too, or Lee Dewyze? Perhaps some Lady Gaga? Some of these picks wouldn't even be included in the annals of HH.

I'm a little confused as to where you're going with this. If it ends up being essential I'll go and review the lists again, but based on my read this morning I didn't see anything that was not a rock album in those lists. So how does that translate into your suggestion to add country and dance/pop artists in the lists?

Well...this is not my site. It is Dan's. And he has his 3 guys that he lets do their picks as well...based on previous years with inclusions such as Papa Roach, Daughtry, Anberlin, and Delain...coupled with this year's additions of The Storm(couldn't even find that entry on HH), Taking Dawn, and My Darkest Days - these are MODERN rock bands....my suggestions of country and pop were hyperbole. Adding Hinder, Evanescence, Nickelback, and Staind would have been just as out of place.... :unsure: I'm with Glam Junkie. I thought this site was based on 80s style rock bands. :unsure:

3) Speaking of 2010, I saw one of the guys had Revelution Renaissance - Era on their list, I think that one actuanlly came out in 2008. But maybe it was re-issued with bonus material as many releases are doing so.

Yes the New era disc was acually released 2008.

The album cover pic was of 'New Era' but the pic I think was for 'Infinity'.

WOW....No-one even had crashdiet in their top 5?

And i thought this site was based on a foundation of 80's styled hard rock, a style in which Crashdiet clearly lead the new generation...

IMO.

Yup I'm shocked by that as well. It's my #1 without a doubt.

Also surprised that there wasn't a mention of Distorted Wonderland(Unless I missed it) but it did kind of stay under the radar. I think Pete was the only one to give much love to Hardcore Supertar's 'Split Your Lip'.

Well...this is not my site. It is Dan's. And he has his 3 guys that he lets do their picks as well...based on previous years with inclusions such as Papa Roach, Daughtry, Anberlin, and Delain...coupled with this year's additions of The Storm(couldn't even find that entry on HH), Taking Dawn, and My Darkest Days - these are MODERN rock bands....my suggestions of country and pop were hyperbole. Adding Hinder, Evanescence, Nickelback, and Staind would have been just as out of place.... :unsure: I'm with Glam Junkie. I thought this site was based on 80s style rock bands. :unsure:

But if you heard bands like Papa Roach, Hinder, Taking Dawn and even My Darkest Days, Daughtry or Nickleback, you will hear a very big influence from 80's hard rock in all of them. Half those bands even have guitar solos in almost every track. I can't speak for stuff like Delain or The Storm as I've not heard them, but the other stuff has most the features of the "80's style rock bands" we all love so much.

WOW....No-one even had crashdiet in their top 5?

And i thought this site was based on a foundation of 80's styled hard rock, a style in which Crashdiet clearly lead the new generation...

IMO.

Yup I'm shocked by that as well. It's my #1 without a doubt.

Also surprised that there wasn't a mention of Distorted Wonderland(Unless I missed it) but it did kind of stay under the radar. I think Pete was the only one to give much love to Hardcore Supertar's 'Split Your Lip'.

There was one mention of Distorted Wonderland, but in all fairness that one came out pretty late in the year and was hard to get a good feel for before lists were being put out there.

Cant speak for all the modern bands mentioned, but I dont see how anyone can say the likes of Hinder and Taking Dawn are not 80s inspired bands just with a modern touch.

Hell, a lot of 80s bands have tweaked their sound over the years to give them a more contemporary sound, and there is very little difference between the old adopting the new and the new adopting the old.

And anyway, last time I looked this site was called Heavy Harmonies, not 80s rock.com, and Hinder and Taking Dawn are both heavy and harmonic.

Cant speak for all the modern bands mentioned, but I dont see how anyone can say the likes of Hinder and Taking Dawn are not 80s inspired bands just with a modern touch.

Hell, a lot of 80s bands have tweaked their sound over the years to give them a more contemporary sound, and there is very little difference between the old adopting the new and the new adopting the old.

And anyway, last time I looked this site was called Heavy Harmonies, not 80s rock.com, and Hinder and Taking Dawn are both heavy and harmonic.

What about Bullet For My Valentine and Stonesour both great discs, I don't think modern rock is the type of music that is portrayed on HH.

Go back a few years, and no way would there be many modern bands on the site, but in the last couple of years the line between old school and modern has blurred considerably, with a lot of modern rock acts aknowleding that their musical roots start in the 80s.

A few years ago no modern band would mention an 80s band as an influence for fear of being mocked by the youth market, but now that the 80s has become retro cool, these bands are finally able to let their true inspirations come through.

Obviously not all modern rock bands are going to be included, but those that at least pay a degree of homage to the era when rock music ruled the roost, are fine additions in my book.

The thing with Taking Dawn is that, even with me still doing my silly split lists - one for 80's style rock and one for modern rock, the Taking Dawn CD was actually on my 80's style rock list. It never even really occured to me that it might be considered a "modern rock" CD. They remind me of an uptempo Guardian at times. Hinder are as 80's as it gets, but I guess for me the vocalist will always keep them in my "modern" list. Is there really any logic to it? Probably not much, but that's how I roll.

It has been explained time and time again on why certain bands are making it in the door and why. You continue to disagree every time it comes up and then want to throw in your 2 cents worth on all the ridiculous stuff that clearly is not allowed here and say that it should be too. These changes have been in the making for almost 3 years now. Get over it already. People can expand their musican taste beyond just 80's you know. If you're not happy here, there are plenty of other websites, or better yet, you could always start one of your own.

The thing with Taking Dawn is that, even with me still doing my silly split lists - one for 80's style rock and one for modern rock, the Taking Dawn CD was actually on my 80's style rock list. It never even really occured to me that it might be considered a "modern rock" CD. They remind me of an uptempo Guardian at times. Hinder are as 80's as it gets, but I guess for me the vocalist will always keep them in my "modern" list. Is there really any logic to it? Probably not much, but that's how I roll.

I think both are a good mix between Modern and 80's style Hard Rock with Taking Dawn being the better band IMO.

It has been explained time and time again on why certain bands are making it in the door and why. You continue to disagree every time it comes up and then want to throw in your 2 cents worth on all the ridiculous stuff that clearly is not allowed here and say that it should be too. These changes have been in the making for almost 3 years now. Get over it already. People can expand their musican taste beyond just 80's you know. If you're not happy here, there are plenty of other websites, or better yet, you could always start one of your own.

WTF are you talking about? I hardly ever post here. You must have me confused with someone else. :unsure: