New PETRA "Back To The Rock" anyone?

Ralfster

Hi guys,

has anybody already heard the "new" PETRA CD "Back To The Rock"?

They're back with GREG X VOLZ and on their homepage http://www.classicpetra.com/ you can hear snippets of a few tracks.

It's mostly new recordings of old Petra classics (pre Schlitt era only) but they also include two new songs.

I'm just wondering if it's really worth getting as I have all the original CD's and usually I'm not into re-recordings so much.

Cheers

Ralfster

Definitely worth getting in my opinion, as some of the new versions sound more up to date than some of the slightly dated sound on some of the originals. Once I get moved I shall definitely be ordering a copy.

• My Little Pony

Wait, what? It's already out? I gotta get it. And to answer Ralfster, of course it's worth getting. The best Classic Petra re-recorded is a no-brained!

Based on the few samples I just listened to, I'm gonna say they should've left the old tunes alone. I'm not hearing any improvement on the originals. "Grave Robber" begged to be updated, but not like that. And it sounds like they even slowed down "More Power To Ya". Sad as there was potential to do something really cool here.

Thanks guys! I've just listened to the samples and I'm definitely going to order it! I agree, on some tracks I can't hear an improvement but others sound f***** fantastic.

Now I just wish they would do an all new CD someday soon! The comments on their forum however rather indicate that future releases (which are planned for sure) will be of a similar nature. Oh well.....

Cheers

Ralfster

• 2 months later...

Just got this today and it's a really nice disc. Some really good updates ,'Adonai' especially, which is excellent and a fabulous production/ mix too. Highly recommended from me.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

got this other day... And its "nice". Fans of the early 80s Volz era will enjoy this. Some of the songs you cant tell the differnece... But Adonai is great.

Considering age and everything, Volz sounds great.

• 1 month later...

Somehow I missed this thread! What I find most interesting is the reconnect between Bob Hartman and Volz, Lawry, Weaver and Mark Kelly (where's he been?). John Schlitt made it sound like Bob was happily retired and done with music. Or so he thought? I wonder what John thinks of this? Either way, the Beat The System line-up back together is crazy stuff. The site is pretty barebones. It's designed to promote the CD and not much else. Does anyone know if they intend to record a full new album? Greg's voice sounds good on the samples, and his is clearly one of the best ever in rock. Up there with Lou Gramm, Mickey Thomas, etc. I like the John Schlitt "era" up through Wake Up Call, plus Jekyll & Hyde. Once Bob took a mentor role and was no longer actually within the band, things were less interesting.

Somehow I missed this thread! What I find most interesting is the reconnect between Bob Hartman and Volz, Lawry, Weaver and Mark Kelly (where's he been?). John Schlitt made it sound like Bob was happily retired and done with music. Or so he thought? I wonder what John thinks of this? Either way, the Beat The System line-up back together is crazy stuff. The site is pretty barebones. It's designed to promote the CD and not much else. Does anyone know if they intend to record a full new album? Greg's voice sounds good on the samples, and his is clearly one of the best ever in rock. Up there with Lou Gramm, Mickey Thomas, etc. I like the John Schlitt "era" up through Wake Up Call, plus Jekyll & Hyde. Once Bob took a mentor role and was no longer actually within the band, things were less interesting.

I believe the plan for the band is to do another record of re-recorded songs plus two new ones and so a third album of all new material.

• 2 weeks later...