Is the HH discussion board almost extinct?

zacharyamelie

Actually, to save time, or to avoid accidentally forgetting to watch a thread, you can change your settings to automatically watch any thread that you reply to.

Go to Your Control Panel > Forums > View/Posting/Email Prefs

Check the box for "Watch every topic I reply to."

You can also choose whether or not the board includes a copy of the posted message in the email (I find it handy to determine whether or not I need to jump to the board right away when reading email), and whether you get notification immediately, daily, weekly, or not at all.

-Dan

P.S. Maybe this should be a stickey?

Wow ! Learning something new every day !! ;)

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My presence has dropped by no fault of the site. With a new daughter, house remodel and a crazy job (I've been blessed with plenty of work)I simply have not had the time. Trying to make more of an effort as I have chatted with, traded with and drank with (at least via the "I like beer" thread) some pretty awesome folks around here. Cheers to all! :drink:

I should weigh in a couple of cents here.

It seems like I only come to the board to promote new releases / signings or update on some news but I actually do read a lot on the forums. As a label it's important for me to hear feedback from people who have purchased a cd and I like to read what they have to say.

I know that the opinion of me and/or my ethics has been lukewarm and there are probably still people who visit this forum that think I'm a crook or a tool or whatever.

Here's what I'd like to convey right now:

1) Heavy Harmonies is the best fucking Melodic Rock / Metal website on the net...bar none. Dan you are the man for creating this monster and I really wish you could do something with it to generate more income for yourself - you deserve it. 5 years ago I never would have said that , but I can now.

2) I really have so many opinions and thoughts about OUR music and the industry itself I should write a fucking book. I believe I run a fairly successful company but there are always obstacles and setbacks along every journey. I have been accused of bootlegging and/or selling boots. There are people who think they are the "internet police" that want to stop boots being sold...that will NEVER happen. That industry is far bigger than you will ever imagine. It started with Reborn Classics , continued with Ryan at Metal Mayhem , then Old Metal followed , and the Greeks and Russians and even the Chinese jumped on board. Then there's the Time Warp charade (NOT my company and I will put my life on that). How Do I know? Because I know where they come from , who makes them , and what they are doing next. I don't agree with it , and yep I have sold them , but there are far more bigger challenges right now than a few thousand boots circulating. Mainly - ILLEGAL DOWNLOADING. It's destroying the entertainment industry and I could spend fucking hours on this topic. It has to be stopped and it has to be governed and regulated (and I despise big government). Next time I do a spot on a radio show , I'll post here when it's going to be and we can talk about it. As you know , I've bought my own FM station in Utah and would love to have you guys call in and we can discuss music on the show. Everyone is welcome.

3) Dan , I get about a million hits on my site every month - I would certainly be happy to put a link to this site from mine , but I really need that closed thread about Retrospect to disappear - LOL.

4) OUR music is dying AGAIN. I've seen it first hand and am witnessing the demise of Melodic Rock (especially in the USA). Here is a fact for ya: 80% of my products go overseas - that's a staggering number considering 90% of the bands I sign are American. Nobody goes to see bands anymore and everyone's too much into themselves to care about helping out artists...man I got a LOT to say on this subject but nobody wants to read an essay....

5) I've thought about what I could do to start a shitstorm like back in the good ole days...so here goes...

SKID - YOU ARE A PATHETIC PIECE OF GNAT-SHIT WHO DOESN'T KNOW SQUAT ABOUT THE INDUSTRY. SLEAZEROXX IS A FUCKING EMBARRASSMENT AND YOU ARE PROBABLY THE BIGGEST WANK-STAIN WANNABE TO EVER CREATE A WORTHLESS WEBSITE. FUCK YOU AND THE WHORE YOU RODE IN ON YOU SPINELESS CUNT.

Ahhhhhhhh....man that felt good!!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

4) OUR music is dying AGAIN. I've seen it first hand and am witnessing the demise of Melodic Rock (especially in the USA). Here is a fact for ya: 80% of my products go overseas - that's a staggering number considering 90% of the bands I sign are American. Nobody goes to see bands anymore and everyone's too much into themselves to care about helping out artists...man I got a LOT to say on this subject but nobody wants to read an essay....

I've been thinking the very same thing, but I think it has a lot to do with the actions of certain promoters/venues/lineups than with the fans and bandwagon/fringe fans.

North Dakota had the Thunder Mountain Rockfest that was basically ruined by a promoter that failed to either pay the bands at all or only paid part of what was agreed upon, I would think that's the last of that festival.

Iowa had that whole fiasco in Algona 2 summers ago with the supposed huge festival that turned out to be a big ripoff for anyone that sent in their money.

This summer's Dakota Rock Fest had a storm blow through and caused the headlining bands on Friday to be bumped up way ahead of schedule and a bunch of fans who were going to specifically see Bret Michaels and Lita Ford missed both acts. Plus Saturdays headliners were 1) a band from the 70's with one original member (the drummer) that needed 3 people to assist him getting on stage, 2) a band with minimal success in the early 80's and 3) Vince Neil. Turnout was poor. I haven't heard there is going to be another next year.

Rocklahoma (aside from the Retrospect stage) changed their lineup from the previous years to feature modern hard rock bands that caused many fans of the bands/style of music that was featured in past years to be disappointed and alienated.

So aside from seeing the bands playing local clubs, it's been a tough couple years for fans. Plus with limited income, people are going to be extremely picky about what they spend their hard earned $$$'s on.

Maybe this...

I know that the opinion of me and/or my ethics has been lukewarm and there are probably still people who visit this forum that think I'm a crook or a tool or whatever.

has something to do with rants like this.....

5) I've thought about what I could do to start a shitstorm like back in the good ole days...so here goes...

SKID - YOU ARE A PATHETIC PIECE OF GNAT-SHIT WHO DOESN'T KNOW SQUAT ABOUT THE INDUSTRY. SLEAZEROXX IS A FUCKING EMBARRASSMENT AND YOU ARE PROBABLY THE BIGGEST WANK-STAIN WANNABE TO EVER CREATE A WORTHLESS WEBSITE. FUCK YOU AND THE WHORE YOU RODE IN ON YOU SPINELESS CUNT.

Don't know either of you personally, but being someone who frequents sleazeroxx and someone who purchases the occassional retrospect release, i do know that anything to do with retrospect does get erased from the sleazeroxx board. (I recall my own thread promoting your Queeny Blast Pop cd got the boot) The difference is in the diplomacy.... skid has chosen just to ignore, whereas you have chose to deliver a rant like this.

Not having a go, as i totally appreciate what you're doing with retrospect and i've had nothing but good dealings with retrospect in recent years, but just poitning out that the reason for the first point can possibly be explained by the second point....maybe?

Skid wished death upon my family - that was totally unacceptable and he deserves every rant I aim at him (which , incidentally , this is the 1st and only time I took a potshot at that scumbag bastard in public and it was sort of in jest).

I still have my sense of humor. :tumbsup:

By deleting posts about Retrospect and/or the artists involved , he is far from 'ignoring' , and all he's doing is hurting the artists... at least most of the people over there do buy from me anyway which is a blessing.

I've been thinking the very same thing, but I think it has a lot to do with the actions of certain promoters/venues/lineups than with the fans and bandwagon/fringe fans.

North Dakota had the Thunder Mountain Rockfest that was basically ruined by a promoter that failed to either pay the bands at all or only paid part of what was agreed upon, I would think that's the last of that festival.

Iowa had that whole fiasco in Algona 2 summers ago with the supposed huge festival that turned out to be a big ripoff for anyone that sent in their money.

This summer's Dakota Rock Fest had a storm blow through and caused the headlining bands on Friday to be bumped up way ahead of schedule and a bunch of fans who were going to specifically see Bret Michaels and Lita Ford missed both acts. Plus Saturdays headliners were 1) a band from the 70's with one original member (the drummer) that needed 3 people to assist him getting on stage, 2) a band with minimal success in the early 80's and 3) Vince Neil. Turnout was poor. I haven't heard there is going to be another next year.

Rocklahoma (aside from the Retrospect stage) changed their lineup from the previous years to feature modern hard rock bands that caused many fans of the bands/style of music that was featured in past years to be disappointed and alienated.

So aside from seeing the bands playing local clubs, it's been a tough couple years for fans. Plus with limited income, people are going to be extremely picky about what they spend their hard earned $$$'s on.

Maybe the answer is to move all of these festivals to England... ;)

That said, I have met some great people on this board and made some new friends.

You rock Jeff. :headbanger:

Backed.

True dat! :party421:

Well, he does need a new car. :P But on the plus side, he makes a mean floor burger :tumbsup:

• My Little Pony

What--no mmention of me?

I'm hurt...

Actually, I have to agree that it can be difficult for new members to connect. I personally experienced this. For the most part, you guys all appear to be great people, but when I joined, I quickly noticed there were definite cliques. Actually, it seemed like one big family, and I was merely a guest. I'm not lashing out at anyone, as I admit I was an ass, nearly all of the time. My posts were mostly trash, but I do agree that many posts here are trivial. Most of the posts take place in the "Exquisite Entropy," of which I was guilty of, too. This is a music forum, and we seem to spend most of our time talking about unrelated topics, and playing games. While those things aren't wrong, I believe we need to redirect our focus. I need to redirect my focus. I need this site. I really need this site, and I need you people. As I am only 23, I have next to no one to talk to about the music I love. It's so bloody difficult to be so passionate about something and not have anyone to share it with. I truely enjoyed my time here, and I believe I'm back for good. I kinda fell away from Hard Rock and Metal, but, alas!, the prodigal son has returned. Let's rock the shit outta the remainder of 2010.

Maybe it's just me, but I seem to have noticed a lot more activity on the forum since this topic started. Did it guilt all of us into trying to contribute a little more? ;)

I've been trying to come here more often, so damn busy. I'm on a lot of forums (although this is my favorite), and all of them get a little dead, especially during the Summer. Sleazeroxx seems to have a lot of posting regulars though, I gotta say that.

That doesn't count. Most of the conversations on Sleaze Roxx are on the level of Kindergarteners.

I've noticed the same thing over the last few months. I must admit I don't have a lot to say anymore. There's even less incentive to post when it's likely to go with no response. Something has changed and I'm not quite sure what it is. Maybe the economy? I know that most of my energy is focused in that direction. It's probably the same for others as well.

100% agreed.

FOr every 100 posts at sleazeroxx there may be 5 relevant posts. Pretty sure skid is trying to change that atm to get it back to the music oriented forum it once was.

A bit of fun is good, but a handful of people hijacked that forum to the point where people were leaving of barely visitng anyomore cos of all the rubbish that went on.

I guess I'm one of the posters your talkin' about. I joke, It's what I do.. I do believe, I'm more serious on this forum..

In the past few months, this is the only message board I log into..

It's obviously been an issue we've all noticed, and it's good to finally adress it and hopefully solve it.

Agreed. Jerk.

Don't talk to him, he's not part of the family. ;)

Kidding, I think it's great that you're into this stuff AND you're 23, that is something that should be appreciated. :drink:

Anywho... it does seem like more people are posting, and this is good. \m/

Maybe it's just me, but I seem to have noticed a lot more activity on the forum since this topic started. Did it guilt all of us into trying to contribute a little more? ;)

I've noticed the same thing. :headbanger:

Yeah I think it has picked up a bit as well. Good to see.

It's obviously been an issue we've all noticed, and it's good to finally adress it and hopefully solve it.

Agreed. Jerk.

Kidding, I think it's great that you're into this stuff AND you're 23, that is something that should be appreciated. :drink:

i love you both.

Agreed. Jerk.

i love you both.

Watch it! This is a no-cuddle zone.

:blink:

Agreed. Jerk.

i love you both.

MAN SPOON!

• My Little Pony

Agreed. Jerk.

i love you both.

MAN SPOON!

Things sure have changed around here, since I've been gone. I remember a time when Matt's love was reserved for Geoff and small furry animals only.

Agreed. Jerk.

i love you both.

MAN SPOON!

Things sure have changed around here, since I've been gone. I remember a time when Matt's love was reserved for Geoff and small furry animals only.

He's become quite the tramp then, hasn't he... :tsk:

Agreed. Jerk.

i love you both.

MAN SPOON!

I believe the proper term is "slut". :tits:

• My Little Pony

MAN SPOON!

I believe the proper term is "slut". :tits:

I s'pose bestiality will do that to a man.