Is the HH discussion board almost extinct?

zacharyamelie

I come on here at least 3-4 times a day and on average, once a day, I'll add a comment or once in awhile I'll even start up a topic. I'm not one of the biggest posters, but I do come on here pretty darn often. But lately I've only been glancing real quickly through the top of the forum topics and then going elsewhere on the net. Many forums haven't had a new response or topic in over a month. Nobody seems to be writing anything anymore. Are discussion forums in general or simply this one running out of fuel/ideas? Other than the Selling forum and the AOR/Hard Rock one, very few new topics are created or commented on. Why is this? It's not like good music isn't being done anymore.

I wonder if this will be another topic that will barely be viewed and commented on. I won't be surprised if no else responses and I surely won't be offended.

This topic of mine may simply stay at the top of the Site Feedback forum until Christmas.

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was recently thinking the same thing. This is the only forum I look at but I've definitely noticed decreased activity over the past 6 months. Still, it's the best site on the net!

I've been trying to come here more often, so damn busy. I'm on a lot of forums (although this is my favorite), and all of them get a little dead, especially during the Summer. Sleazeroxx seems to have a lot of posting regulars though, I gotta say that.

Meh, no biggie. All boards/forums go thru slow periods.

What we need is Wotty to rile up Sambora with some anti-Bon Jovi threads, and Jason to come back and kickstart the Eric Brittingham worship, then we'd be back on the winning tracks. :lol:

I haven't had much to say lately and have been busy but when I do start threads it seems like they get no responses or very little at all. I figured I was just as uninteresting as I always thought I was but maybe it's just the forum. It used to be you'd start a thread about anything(see anything that Metal Jay/Just Jason started) and it would go on for pages but the last year or so that seems to have stopped and many of the old guard aren't around anymore. Also it seems like there is less and less posters that want to talk about Metal but instead everything is all about AOR. Nothing against AOR as I know that's what this site was built on but there used to be a time when it was a little more balanced between AOR, Hard Rock and some Metal but that might be my fault since I don't start as many threads as I used to. Of course maybe as a forum we've talked about everything that can be talked about and we've done a poll on almost every big band and those are the threads that used to get a lot of posts.

Imho the problem is that every member looks only his ass (the same as in the world out of here) & the "wolf-friendships" are obvious.

No one shares info about our favorite music anymore because he thinks (and sometimes that happens) that he will be cheated (with various ways).

Just my 2 cents.

I guess I'm not sure what your talking about here since I've made many friendships on this board.

I'm assuming maybe your talking about the finding and selling of cds and people not being forthicoming about certain titles being available at a cheap price or maybe not giving a good deal to other board members?

Meh, no biggie. All boards/forums go thru slow periods.

What we need is Wotty to rile up Sambora with some anti-Bon Jovi threads, and Jason to come back and kickstart the Eric Brittingham worship, then we'd be back on the winning tracks. :lol:

Haha, i was just about to suggest that it's because I havent been around to cause a spectacle in the last year or so :P I'm sure most people don't even remember me these days (or is the word i'm looking for hope :unsure:)

To be honest for about the last 2 years there's only been a hardcore of about 30-40 guys who post here.

Has been very quiet as of late.

I spend far more time on Facebook these days.

Cheers

Also it seems like there is less and less posters that want to talk about Metal

I'm still here goddamnit!! :lol:

I've been trying to come here more often, so damn busy. I'm on a lot of forums (although this is my favorite), and all of them get a little dead, especially during the Summer. Sleazeroxx seems to have a lot of posting regulars though, I gotta say that.

That doesn't count. Most of the conversations on Sleaze Roxx are on the level of Kindergarteners.

I've noticed the same thing over the last few months. I must admit I don't have a lot to say anymore. There's even less incentive to post when it's likely to go with no response. Something has changed and I'm not quite sure what it is. Maybe the economy? I know that most of my energy is focused in that direction. It's probably the same for others as well.

That doesn't count. Most of the conversations on Sleaze Roxx are on the level of Kindergarteners.

I've noticed the same thing over the last few months. I must admit I don't have a lot to say anymore. There's even less incentive to post when it's likely to go with no response. Something has changed and I'm not quite sure what it is. Maybe the economy? I know that most of my energy is focused in that direction. It's probably the same for others as well.

100% agreed.

FOr every 100 posts at sleazeroxx there may be 5 relevant posts. Pretty sure skid is trying to change that atm to get it back to the music oriented forum it once was.

A bit of fun is good, but a handful of people hijacked that forum to the point where people were leaving of barely visitng anyomore cos of all the rubbish that went on.

Even in the short time I've been on here I've noticed the number of posts has gone down. Agree that it is a great site, certainly the best discussion forum I have ever been on. Thought maybe it was something I said... ;)

I find that the HH's forums, whilst a bit quiet lately, have much more relevant/on topic conversations than every other music forum I've visited.

I agree with what's been said about Sleaze Roxx - it's full of bickering, but also the forums at MelodicRock.com seem to be nothing but squabble sometimes. I'm not trying to put down either website but I feel their forums need a lot of improvement. Might I add that it's often the same members you see that are instigating the trouble on those forums. Maybe they need to be baneed?

Back on topic with our trouble free forums here at HH's, I wonder if anyone has any suggestions of how to make it a bit more interesting. I was thinking along the lines of doing a regular (weekly) post on a rare/less heard of Aussie CD from my music collection and maybe having a few short track samples if I can figure out how to do that.

Also I remember about 12 months ago there was a member here who I can't recall (the name Rob rings a bell) who did a regular post with an old photo/flyer from an obscure 80's/90's hard rock band. I found those posts really interesting and they sparked a lot of conversation.

I guess everyone has their own area of interest/specialty area on this forum - some like AOR, others are more into glam, and there's even some strange people that like thrash metal :P

What I'm getting at is that maybe we could improve the forum by each having a regular topic/thread that we start up and contribute to each week. Maybe I'm just speaking shit here, but seriously, have a think about it and see if there's a topic you love that you could start and topic on and re-ignite it each week by discussing a different band/CD. Alright enough rambling from me.

Ive actually been wondering the same thing, and must admit im one who has lost his way. Part of the reason for this is ive moved house, work has been busy, i didnt have internet for a while... but also ive logged on and flipped through the topics for the day... and nothing has really been interesting me. I dont know why. Something has just seemed different. Maybe there isnt as much solid talk about discovering new music these days??

I've noticed the change. Was going to mention it a few months ago. This site used to be the first page I would visit when I would get in front of the computer. Now it's to the point where it's almost an afterthought. Not sure what has happened. Maybe it just seems there is a ton of discussion about a certain type of music that I have zero interest in. Maybe it's because I have apparently wizzed in someone's cheerios and there are a select few that now have zero to do with me and it's an uncomfortable feeling. My humor is very dry and needs to be taken with a grain of salt. Either way, I know I rarely post anymore and if I do it's usually in the Exquisite Entropy part that has nothing to do with music. I still love the music and still love talking music, so I keep an eye out for topics that interest me, however those topics of late now seem to be few and far between.

I too have noticed a slow down / change on the board recently, and offer up a few reasons as to why this is occurring..

1. As goes Geoff, so goes the board.

Not joking even a little bit here. Geoff is one of the most prolific posters here at HH, and when he has limited access to the internet (which has been the case recently) and can’t post as much as normal, the posts on HH decrease overall since he isn’t here spurring the conversations on. Hurry back you sexy Aussie beast. spchewie.gif

2. As has already been mentioned, the economy is probably playing a big factor.

I’ve certainly bought WAY fewer CDs in 2010 (new or used) and hence, don’t have much to add to discussions on new releases, as I’m simply not hearing them. I dare say the majority of us have cut back on our CD spending over the last year or two, thus cutting back on potential conversation as well.

3. People can be jerks

While this isn’t nearly as big a problem here as on other forums, there’s nothing that takes the air out of a person’s sails quicker than getting excited about a new band or release, posting about it, and then seeing it get slagged off by other forum members. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion of course, and should post what they feel, but sometimes a little restraint could go a long way. For example, “ I can’t get into singer X’s vocals, and the songs overall don’t appeal to me, so I would have to pass” is a lot more tolerable than “The singer sucks donkey balls, and these fuckers can’t write a song to save their miserable f’n lives. I can’t believe anyone listens to shit like this”. Responses of this nature are what turns regular posters into lurkers.

Just a few things that came to mind...

As has already been mentioned, the economy is probably playing a big factor.

I’ve certainly bought WAY fewer CDs in 2010 (new or used) and hence, don’t have much to add to discussions on new releases, as I’m simply not hearing them. I dare say the majority of us have cut back on our CD spending over the last year or two, thus cutting back on potential conversation as well.

DING DING DING right here. A couple of days ago I was lookin' thru my (rather paltry) list of purchases from this year thus far, since I'm gonna have to start cooking up a "Best of 2010" list soon for my column in Detritus... and it'll be hard to come up with even a top 10, cuz I haven't even bought ten new releases this year. I'm hoping to pick up a few more before the year's end just to put it over the top, but still...Frickin' economy!! :cussing:

Aside from that... I simply don't have the time to fart around on forums all the time like I used to, especially since Child #2 was born. Now that he's toddling around and his big brother is involved with Cub Scouts, I have less and less time @ the computer in the evenings cuz I'm always somewhere doing something else.

I do still drop by here a couple of times a week when I can, sometimes I'll post one or two things, sometimes there's nothin' going on that floats my boat. It happens.

What I'm getting at is that maybe we could improve the forum by each having a regular topic/thread that we start up and contribute to each week. Maybe I'm just speaking shit here, but seriously, have a think about it and see if there's a topic you love that you could start and topic on and re-ignite it each week by discussing a different band/CD. Alright enough rambling from me.

Maybe i'll have to re-ignite the random-glam-sleaze band topic...

http://heavyharmonies.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=24184

Another thread i'd like to see.....

is a thread based on where peopel can buy the certain cds at a good price.

we all know that the same disc can sell anywhere from $7 to $27 depending on what website you get it from so i was thinking something along the lines of Mr X can request a cd they are looking to buy and others can recommend the best place to buy it.

I'm not talking about mega rarities here, but just more common stuff that people sometimes have trouble finding at a good price (like when reckless love first came out).

I too have noticed a slow down / change on the board recently, and offer up a few reasons as to why this is occurring..

1. As goes Geoff, so goes the board.

Not joking even a little bit here. Geoff is one of the most prolific posters here at HH, and when he has limited access to the internet (which has been the case recently) and can’t post as much as normal, the posts on HH decrease overall since he isn’t here spurring the conversations on. Hurry back you sexy Aussie beast. spchewie.gif

Haha. Wowser, thanks Mike. I got teary eyed reading that. ;) Seriously mate, thanks for the kind words.

Yeah, I think it's a mixture of what many have said here already. I know I noticed it a long time ago at the start of this year and made comments in random threads about it. But that was when I was here from 8am to 4pm five days a week. I think Ian and I briefly built on it somewhere, but that was about it. No one else was reading enough for it to expand any more than that. :lol:

But yeah, all the factors noted here are part of it. Especially the whole financial thing. Just goes to show the moral quality of most members here, though, as 99% of other music forums (and most my topics, initially :lol:) around the net are probably built on discussions of downloaded music. So maybe it's just that most of y'all here are too fine and upstanding people? :)

I do agree with what others have said, though. This is the only forum on the net I visit and it's still by far the best. It has no doubt been quiet as hell and I've even noticed that in my extended absence - when I do get the opportunity to come here - that sadly I have not missed much and I reply to what I need to reply to in about 10-15mins.

But dudes, I'm here, I'm nude... and ready to be groped awkwardly. We have FINALLY got the net back on our computers here at work (have not had it since 4th of August) but it's also a lot busier here now that I'm doing the job that two of us used to do. Anyway, hopefully I get to post a bit more and we can get silly and lather each other up with cream and eat animals.

But dudes, I'm here, I'm nude... and ready to be groped awkwardly.

There's a mental picture I truly didn't need. :puke:

Love ya G-Money!!!

Sorry Keef, perhaps a mental picture you do need will help:

The forum, it's barren

The girl in my office once sexed a man called Aaron

Lucky mofo, I'd like to take his place and possession of his penis

Use it as my own to enjoy her sweetness

I like vaginas and pizza

When I flex, my large biceps are a recognisable feature

I eat seaweed and juice

Once I'm done the women I bed are loose

My apologies I'm getting too vile

Zip my rhymes, compress them and keep them on file

Let's un-desolate this forum

I was once in a band with Matt Sorum

I played drums and he served me nachos

It was good, he was a top mofo

G-Scribbler winding up this wikkid-ass tale for now

Peace out, make love and deep fry a cow

Been a member for 6 years...pretty much the same length as Geoff, has me beat by 3 months...lol. But I only have 400+ posts. While he has 32,000+...Personally, I don't have much to say. This music genre is dying. no one tours the U.S....Most CDs have 3 good songs, and the rest is trash...I'm not sure how many of you guys/gals attended Andrew's show in May - but attendence overall was HORRID. I think most people latch onto stuff, like the new Unruly Child, and force themselves to like it cause it's new and there isn't much else to focus on. Nelson? Sounds good so far. But its no ATR2. Bangalore Choir? I like it. Not sure its 'classic'. Myself, I find the AOR boring as hell. I admit to being rather opinionated, almost to the point of being elitist. I don't mean to be...I just feel alot of people(and not only here) like alot of subpar stuff. I can't stand H.E.A.T., think they are WAY subpar....others love them. We'll agree to disagree.

Overall, like I said, the genre is on a drastic downward trend. This fact saddens me.

One final point...not that this is a bad thing, per se...but it is rather cliqu-ey here. Tough for new people to get into discussions...been here for 6 years. I don't think anyone's ever taken interest in striking up a conversation....met Charvel TWICE. Once at FarCry/D2 show in Chicopee, Ma. and at MR Fest 2...blew me off both times. :blink:

I read more than I post, in other words....a lot of info here. Turned me on to some really great bands....