2010 - Favorite Disc

• My Little Pony

Treat easily takes my number one spot and Avantasia (both new releases) takes number two--I know that will piss off a lot of you. After that, probably the new Scorps and Ratt and Pretty Maids, though not necessarily in that order. Terry Brock had a good album, though I can't help but compare it to Slamer - Nowhere Land, and that is tainting my perspective. Stan Bush's wasn't as good as his previous. First Signal is good, but not amazing. Issa, oh, Issa's debut was fantastic! Unruly Child's new release is the W.E.T. of 2010 in that it's a little over-rated--another controversial comment. H.E.A.T.'s latest effort wasn't as strong as their first, and while Crazy Lixx - New Religion was strong, I've nearly completely forgot how it sounds, which doesn't bode well.

This is gonna be difficult for me, this year, but for different reasons. Not a lot has really stuck with me. I've actually been more impressed with a lot of the old, and some rare, releases I discovered this year. But we all know I've got nonsensical taste.

I'd agree with some of that mate, although my top two spots aren't the same as yours. People seem to have forgotten about The Sorpions 'Sting In The Tail' which I have said from the word go, is a brilliant album,and is still riding high in my list. Issa whilst good, I certainly wouldn't call fantastic and won't make top 10, or even 20. I agree with your comment on the UC disc, which is certainly very very good, maybe a little over hyped. H.e.a.t I think is better overall than the debut personally, both great records though and I also don't think Terry Brock's album, whilst strong,isn't as good as the Slamer album either, although not miles away.

It seems alot of people are going to have a similar combination of certain albums this year H.e.a.t, Reckless Love, Crazy Lixx, Crashdiet, Treat, Ratt, White Widdow etc etc and whilst all of those are strong discs and some will be appearing in my list, I have a whole range of other stuff in there aswell.

I'm sure your #1 will be the new Poison 2 disc box set. :whistle:

Shit, I forgot about that! That changes everything! ;)

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Houston - ST :bananamac:

Treat easily takes my number one spot and Avantasia (both new releases) takes number two--I know that will piss off a lot of you. After that, probably the new Scorps and Ratt and Pretty Maids, though not necessarily in that order. Terry Brock had a good album, though I can't help but compare it to Slamer - Nowhere Land, and that is tainting my perspective. Stan Bush's wasn't as good as his previous. First Signal is good, but not amazing. Issa, oh, Issa's debut was fantastic! Unruly Child's new release is the W.E.T. of 2010 in that it's a little over-rated--another controversial comment. H.E.A.T.'s latest effort wasn't as strong as their first, and while Crazy Lixx - New Religion was strong, I've nearly completely forgot how it sounds, which doesn't bode well.

This is gonna be difficult for me, this year, but for different reasons. Not a lot has really stuck with me. I've actually been more impressed with a lot of the old, and some rare, releases I discovered this year. But we all know I've got nonsensical taste.

I'd agree with some of that mate, although my top two spots aren't the same as yours. People seem to have forgotten about The Sorpions 'Sting In The Tail' which I have said from the word go, is a brilliant album,and is still riding high in my list. Issa whilst good, I certainly wouldn't call fantastic and won't make top 10, or even 20. I agree with your comment on the UC disc, which is certainly very very good, maybe a little over hyped. H.e.a.t I think is better overall than the debut personally, both great records though and I also don't think Terry Brock's album, whilst strong,isn't as good as the Slamer album either, although not miles away.

It seems alot of people are going to have a similar combination of certain albums this year H.e.a.t, Reckless Love, Crazy Lixx, Crashdiet, Treat, Ratt, White Widdow etc etc and whilst all of those are strong discs and some will be appearing in my list, I have a whole range of other stuff in there aswell.

As I said in another thread, with a tracklisting like this, I don't ruddy well think so :lol:

'Every Rose Has It's Thorn' - Album Mix

'Every Rose Has It's Thorn' - 7" Mix

'Every Rose Has It's Thorn' - Alternate Version

'Every Rose Has It's Thorn' - Dance Mix

'Every Rose Has It's Thorn' - Kareoke Version

'Every Rose Has It's Thorn' - Bobby Dall Can't Play Bass Mix

'Every Rose Has It's Thorn' - CC Is A Twerp Mega Mix

'Every Rose Has It's Thorn' - Bret Michaels Wails Like Banshee Special Mix

'Every Rose Has It's Thorn' - So Called 'Instrumental' Mix

'Every Rose Has It's Thorn' - 12" Remix

'Every Rose Has It's Thorn' - Chill Out Remix

'Every Rose Has It's Thorn' - Ragga Version

'Every Rose Has It's Thorn' - Ever Popular 30 Second Version

'Every Rose Has It's Thorn' - Even More Popular 5 second Version

• My Little Pony

As I said in another thread, with a tracklisting like this, I don't ruddy well think so :lol:

'Every Rose Has It's Thorn' - Album Mix

'Every Rose Has It's Thorn' - 7" Mix

'Every Rose Has It's Thorn' - Alternate Version

'Every Rose Has It's Thorn' - Dance Mix

'Every Rose Has It's Thorn' - Kareoke Version

'Every Rose Has It's Thorn' - Bobby Dall Can't Play Bass Mix

'Every Rose Has It's Thorn' - CC Is A Twerp Mega Mix

'Every Rose Has It's Thorn' - Bret Michaels Wails Like Banshee Special Mix

'Every Rose Has It's Thorn' - So Called 'Instrumental' Mix

'Every Rose Has It's Thorn' - 12" Remix

'Every Rose Has It's Thorn' - Chill Out Remix

'Every Rose Has It's Thorn' - Ragga Version

'Every Rose Has It's Thorn' - Ever Popular 30 Second Version

'Every Rose Has It's Thorn' - Even More Popular 5 second Version

If it includes the Every Rose Has Its Thorn - Even More Popular 5 second Version (Extended Instrumental Kareoke Alternate Dubstep Mix), this will indubitably take my number one spot.

I'd agree with some of that mate, although my top two spots aren't the same as yours. People seem to have forgotten about The Sorpions 'Sting In The Tail' which I have said from the word go, is a brilliant album,and is still riding high in my list. Issa whilst good, I certainly wouldn't call fantastic and won't make top 10, or even 20.

I think this alone gives good insight into why our end of year lists will differ so greatly.

I enjoy the Scorpions disc, it's a nice harmless peice of hard rock. But it's also average as sin and nowhere near as good as 'Humanity Hour,' imo. In my personal opinion the Issa album is light years ahead of it in every department.

The Scorpions album is probably only as good as it is in some eyes because it's the Scorpions. Another band releases the same CD exaclty as it is, but it's not the Scorpions, and no one notices it. Whereas Issa, whoever the hell she is, is just an awesome album because it has awesome songs, and a lot of them. :)

• My Little Pony

I'd agree with some of that mate, although my top two spots aren't the same as yours. People seem to have forgotten about The Sorpions 'Sting In The Tail' which I have said from the word go, is a brilliant album,and is still riding high in my list. Issa whilst good, I certainly wouldn't call fantastic and won't make top 10, or even 20.

I think this alone gives good insight into why our end of year lists will differ so greatly.

I enjoy the Scorpions disc, it's a nice harmless peice of hard rock. But it's also average as sin and nowhere near as good as 'Humanity Hour,' imo. The Scorpions album is probably only as good as it is in some eyes because it's the Scorpions. :)

I dunno about that. I, too, loved Humanity-Hour 1. It was amazing, and it's what I was expecting from their follow up. But, Sting In the Tail was not at all the same--not at all what I was expecting--and, yet, there wasn't even a moment of dissapointment, because it simply rocks! It's an extremely fun, straight ahead, down to business rock album!

I enjoy the Scorpions disc, it's a nice harmless peice of hard rock. But it's also average as sin and nowhere near as good as 'Humanity Hour,' imo. The Scorpions album is probably only as good as it is in some eyes because it's the Scorpions. :)

I dunno about that. I, too, loved Humanity-Hour 1. It was amazing, and it's what I was expecting from their follow up. But, Sting In the Tail was not at all the same--not at all what I was expecting--and, yet, there wasn't even a moment of dissapointment, because it simply rocks! It's an extremely fun, straight ahead, down to business rock album!

Yeah, I even agree with that. I've never expected much from Scorpions anyway, as at their absolute best they've only ever been a mid-range band, to be totally honest. I think 'Humanity Hour' is probably their best album, but that said it's not perfect. 'Sting in the tail' is not a disappointment as I don't have high expectations for the band anyway. It is good, it's straight ahead and fun, it rocks... I agree. But there are dozens of new CDs that have better songs, imo. :)

Yeah, I even agree with that. I've never expected much from Scorpions anyway, as at their absolute best they've only ever been a mid-range band, to be totally honest. I think 'Humanity Hour' is probably their best album, but that said it's not perfect. 'Sting in the tail' is not a disappointment as I don't have high expectations for the band anyway. It is good, it's straight ahead and fun, it rocks... I agree. But there are dozens of new CDs that have better songs, imo. :)

& in summary, .... Geoff is wrong.

• My Little Pony

No shit, Matt! If you hadn't spoke up, we would have never known.

No shit, Matt! If you hadn't spoke up, we would have never known.

How dare the Lapdog speak against its master!

The new ALLEN/LANDE is going to be pretty high in the list also. Only played it 3 times so far but it's really growing on me massively...

Looking at your highlights so far, I wouldn't say that our lists are gonna be totally different to be honest, as quite a few of yours (Reckless Love, Crashdiet, Treat etc) all show up in mine along the way, although maybe not as highly placed as a few others I have going on.

I enjoy the Scorpions disc, it's a nice harmless peice of hard rock. But it's also average as sin and nowhere near as good as 'Humanity Hour,' imo. In my personal opinion the Issa album is light years ahead of it in every department.

The Scorpions album is probably only as good as it is in some eyes because it's the Scorpions. Another band releases the same CD exaclty as it is, but it's not the Scorpions, and no one notices it. Whereas Issa, whoever the hell she is, is just an awesome album because it has awesome songs, and a lot of them. :)

No it doesnt! That ISSA was a big big disappointment for me. Yeah OK, it has some decent hooks, but fuck me if it didnt seem like I was listening to a Kelly Clarkson album :-( The guitars are so low in the mix Im struggling to even call this a rock album!

If you confess to actually liking the song 'Unbelievable', you should watch X-Factor....sounds like the sort of dross Cowell tries to get to No 1 at Christmas here in the UK.

I will give it its dues though I did really like 'Im Alive' and 'As I Live and Breathe' was a breath of fresh air as it actually sounded like a rock song ;-))

And Jez, people have forgotten about that Scorpions album for good reason ;-))

Now getting back to some really good albums this year, Im struggling where to place Allen/Lande (first 2 songs are still weak but the rest is excellent!), Lukather (about as good as a guitarist solo effort can get!), and Black Country Communion (seriously rocking effort from these guys!).

Cheers

How does no one else like this Issa album? Not a rock album? WTF? It's as "rock" as anything else I've heard this year...

Blouse.

How does no one else like this Issa album? Not a rock album? WTF? It's as "rock" as anything else I've heard this year...

Blouse.

I dont have it. but i will., and ill like it. Go Ronny!~

You will. And so will anyone else handsome and cool. Seriously, I don't get the hate. It's a f*cking fantastic CD and other than the fact it's just a great disc, I have no other biased reason to say this.

Unless she would like to bed me. In which case it's the best CD I've ever heard.

Seriously, where Glen is pulling these "non-rock" comments from is about as big a mystery to me as voluntary castration. I seriously don't understand how it "rocks" any less harder than any other CD I've heard this year. Bollocks, is what Glen speaks in this regard.

Who is Ronny?

Blouse.

... must ..... restrain ..... self ...

Okay, for the first time since about March this year I have had a comprehensive look at everything that's been released this year. I put them into some sort of order, more often than not based on 1 or 2 spins. This year, more than any other, I have bought so many CDs that I have not actually had as much time for new releases. Therefore, there is no legitimate order to these CDs, but here's a rough idea of what's going to make up my top 40's at the top of the year, not including still-to-be-released discs:

Melodic HR:

1 . Treat - Coup de grace

2 . Crazy Lixx - New religion

3 . Crashdiet - Generation wild

4 . HEAT - Freedom rock

5 . White Widdow - s/t

6 . Issa - Sign of angels

7 . Pretty Maids - Pandemonium

8 . Reckless Love - s/t

9 . First Signal - s/t

10 . Terry Brock - Diamond Blue

11 . Ratt - Infestation

12 . Loveblast - s/t

13 . Skull Daze - s/t

14 . Chris Laney - Only come out at night

15 . Taking Dawn - Time to burn

16 . Negative - Neon

17 . Shylock - Rock buster

18 . Axident Avenue - Shaken and disturbed

19 . Newman - The art of balance

20 . Jettblack - Get your hands dirty

21 . The Giant Leap - s/t

22 . Shining Line - s/t

23 . Auras - New generation

24 . Wig Wam - Non stop rock n'roll

25 . Giant - Promise land

26 . Unruly Child - Worlds collide

27 . Nelson - Lightening strikes twice

28 . Stan Bush - Dream the dream

29 . Smilek - Stranded

30 . Bad City - Welcome to the wasteland

31 . Edge of Forever - Another paradise

32 . Human Temple - Murder of crows

33 . FM - Metropolis

34 . Bangalore Choir - Cadence

35 . State of Rock - A point of destiny

36 . Avantasia - Angel of Babylon & Wicked Symphony

37 . Rick Springfield & Jeff Silverman - From the vault

38 . Grand Illusion - Brand new world

39 . Wicked Sensation - Crystallized

40 . Serpentine - A touch of heaven

Modern HR:

1 . Erik Gronwall - Somewhere between a rock and a hard place

2 . A Day To Remember - What separates me from you

3 . Just Surrender - Phoenix

4 . Cinder Road - Damage Control

5 . Bullet For My Valentine - Fever

6 . Dive - Picture Perfect

7 . Goo Goo Dolls - Something for the rest of us

8 . Before Their Eyes - Untouchable

9 . Seventh Rain - The Ghost in me

10 . Anberlin - Dark is the way, Light is a place

11 . Story of the Year - The Constant

12 . Lifehouse - Smoke and mirrors

13 . Destine - Lightspeed

14 . Kids In Glass Houses - Dirt

15 . Sing It Loud - Everything collide

16 . Blind - The fire remains

17 . Runaway City - Armored heart

18 . Crashcarburn - Long live tonight

19 . It's Alive - Human Resources

20 . Attack Attack - The latest fashion

21 . Honor Bright - Action! Drama! Suspense!

22 . Fireflight - For those who wait

23 . The Fire - Abracadabra

24 . Disciple - Horseshoes and hand grenades

25 . Stone Sour - Audio secrecy

26 . My Darkest Days - s/t

27 . Young Guns - All our kings are dead

28 . Mercy Mercedes - Believe it

29 . Framing Hanley - A promise to burn

30 . Hawthorne Heights - Skeletons

31 . The Bigger Lights - s/t

32 . A Phoenix Forever - This is why we can't have nice things

33 . Rookie of the Year - The most beautiful

34 . Escape The Fate - s/t

35 . Jimmy Eat World - Invented

36 . Allister - Countdown to nowhere

37 . You Me At Six - Hold me down

38 . Heroes for Hire - Life of the party

39 . Notimefore - Dress up to get down

40 . Lostprophets- The Betrayed

Just marvelling at my artwork and - totally unintentionally - the first list is actually quite a nicely grouped work of art, painting a picture of my musical preferences.

1-10 is generally a block of the super melodic hard rock I prefer over all.

11-20 is mostly that commercial kind of glam/sleaze hair metal stuff I love dearly also.

21-30 is the more AOR orientated melodic rock kind of stuff and 31-30 is just kind of a collection of the dregs from AOR to melodic rock to hard rock. Interesting how those first 3 groups arranged themselves, though, totally unintentionally.

Yeah, life is good and eventful. And to think, I could be down the coast in an awkward situation with a sexy lady and her new lover or I could alternatively be babysitting. Maybe this option wasn't so bad over all. Or was it? I don't know. All I know is it's time to get nude.

Modern HR:

Finally seen sense then ;-)

Brilliant album, and cant wait to see what HEAT come up with next year!

Just one comment on that modern list - how much have you listened to that Stone Sour album? So low mate?? Its No 2 in my list! I think its absolutely brilliant. Perfect blend of power and melody.

Cheers

Modern HR:

Just one comment on that modern list - how much have you listened to that Stone Sour album? So low mate?? Its No 2 in my list! I think its absolutely brilliant. Perfect blend of power and melody.

Cheers

Stone Sour is surprisingly quite healthily placed in my list aswell at the mo.

Modern HR:

Finally seen sense then ;-)

Brilliant album, and cant wait to see what HEAT come up with next year!

Cheers

Yeah mate, bloody fantastic album, that Gronwall one. Some truly excellent songs on there, and not a hint of anything sub-par either. That's my idea of a great CD. I just really want to get a hard copy.

I agree, his combination with HEAT could be something truly amazing.

Honestly mate, the Stone Sour album has clocked up one or two listens so far. Just deleted it off my Ipod today after making a purchase of the actual CD, so once I get the hard copy I'll give it some proper spins. I do like it quite a lot but modern rock has been weird this year. I do actually genuinely really like every one of those 40 albums. It's just that as we've said all along, there is very little that truly stands out. I would now list the Gronwall album as one that does stand out, and I only heard it once so far but the new ADTR album sounds AWESOME. Some really, really melodic choruses on there, mixed in with their usual heavy style. That whole top 30 are albums I really like, and I'm sure there will be movement. Especially from the Stone Sour CD, to be honest, as I'm really kind of getting into these guys. I'm enjoying their first 2 albums a lot too.

As I said, it's all still a little up in the air at the moment. I'm sure that by year's end there will be plenty of movement.

Yeah just to clarify, I mean No 2 in my modern list.......none of the modern discs are going to sniff at the top 10 MHR :-(

Re Stone Sour, I do really love that disc. Very commercial and esp a few killer ballads. Love the fact that every now and again it crosses into Slipknot style and we hear the aggression of Corey....great vocalist im my book.

Cheers

Yeah just to clarify, I mean No 2 in my modern list.......none of the modern discs are going to sniff at the top 10 MHR :-(

Re Stone Sour, I do really love that disc. Very commercial and esp a few killer ballads. Love the fact that every now and again it crosses into Slipknot style and we hear the aggression of Corey....great vocalist im my book.

Cheers

Yeah, there are some super ballads on their first two albums too. Do you have those two? In the past I avoided the band completely, thinking they were filthy nu-metal, but it's not at all. All three discs seem to be well worth the effort. To be totally honest I haven't even skipped the closing monologue on their debut once yet either... I'm so intoxicated by it.