2010 - Favorite Disc

•  
    These are what i own so far:
  • Angeline Confessions - I quite like this. Kinda Harem Scarem meets Aerosmith and goes modern. Groovy modern rock with lots of harmonies.
  • Crazy Lixx New Religion - Wasnt sure at first, but now i think its my top album of the year so far.
  • H.E.A.T. Freedom Rock - Havnt listened yet
  • Kissin' Dynamite Addicted To Metal - First half is awesome. 2nd half seems to drop off a bit. I think the debut had better songs overall.
  • Legacy Legacy - starting to grow on me. Not essential but nice for the collection.
  • Masterplan Time To Be King - this is boring me. The first 3 albums were so much better. I cant remember anything off this.
  • Pretty Maids Pandemonium - ok i havnt really listened yet, but ive played "Drops of Heaven" about 50times. AWESOME
  • Reckless Love Reckless Love - the start of the album isnt great, but damn the middle and end are great!
  • Scorpions Sting In The Tail - Not their best effort. I think the previous two albums were better... but either way its fantastic. Pure rock.
  • Treat Coup de Grace - Loving this also. Contender for album of the year, but i just get the feeling it may not have longevity.
  • Wig Wam Non Stop Rock N Roll - A few quick spins. Fun. but not like the other albums.
  • Dive (whatever the new album is called)- Seems to be a bit more Anberlin, and a bit less Harem Scaremy.. still good though.. like the debut better

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mine is looking something like this.....

2010 Best of

Crashdiet - Generation Wild

Parasite City - Minstels Creed

Chris Laney - Only COme Put At Night

Crazy Lixx - New Religion

Axident Avenue - Shaken And Distrubed

Ratt - Infestation

Hansel - Never Say Die

Reckless Love - s/t

Wigwam - Non Stop Rock n ROll

Buckcherry - All Nite Long

To come / In Contention....

Distorted Wonderland

Hardcore Superstar

Cyanide 4

Asphalt Valentine

Jettblack

Murderdolls

Skull Daze

Out of that top list i think the bottom 3-or-so are likely to drop out and be replaced by some in the 2nd list. I was quite disappointed with wigwam and buchcherry, and reckless love has faded on me quite a bit.

Is it just me or are you getting a bit more melodic in your old age? Doesnt seem to be as many punky rough sleeze there as you would normally have? What would you compare Parasite city to? I heard the debut, and it was ok.

No, i wouldn't really say that. That's definitely my preferred genre, but theyre just hasn't really been a heap of that sorta stuff released this year. If there's any i've missed, i'd like to know...

In the past few years here's been stuff like crystal pistol, crank county daredevils, diamond sins, the idols,some better buckcherry, hardcore superstar, deadthings, hell city glamours, babylon bombs, midnight cowboys, bastardz, gemini5, innocent rosie ....ect, all released in the same 2-3 year period, making it easy to laod up my top 10 with this sorta stuff. Not so this year.

And the full-on glam thing is pretty much dead now aswell.

The new parasite city took a couple of listens to get a grip on. It's a little more solid / less flashy than the first album. At times it reminds me of the midway between crashdiet and bon jovi. It's pretty sleazy, but a good dose of melodic hard rock.

•  
  • Angeline Confessions - I quite like this. Kinda Harem Scarem meets Aerosmith and goes modern. Groovy modern rock with lots of harmonies.
  • Crazy Lixx New Religion - Wasnt sure at first, but now i think its my top album of the year so far.
  • Kissin' Dynamite Addicted To Metal - First half is awesome. 2nd half seems to drop off a bit. I think the debut had better songs overall.
  • Legacy Legacy - starting to grow on me. Not essential but nice for the collection.
  • Masterplan Time To Be King - this is boring me. The first 3 albums were so much better. I cant remember anything off this.
  • Pretty Maids Pandemonium - ok i havnt really listened yet, but ive played "Drops of Heaven" about 50times. AWESOME
  • Reckless Love Reckless Love - the start of the album isnt great, but damn the middle and end are great!
  • Scorpions Sting In The Tail - Not their best effort. I think the previous two albums were better... but either way its fantastic. Pure rock.
  • Treat Coup de Grace - Loving this also. Contender for album of the year, but i just get the feeling it may not have longevity.
  • Wig Wam Non Stop Rock N Roll - A few quick spins. Fun. but not like the other albums.
  • Dive (whatever the new album is called)- Seems to be a bit more Anberlin, and a bit less Harem Scaremy.. still good though.. like the debut better

Half of them I haven't heard.

Scorps definitely not my thing.

Treat i thought was waaaaay over rated (just doing my 2010 list then it looks like it's currently sittting just outside my top 20)

HEAT, Crazy Lixx, Reckless Love and Wigwam all make my top 20.

Think i need to hear kissing dynamite.

•  

Half of them I haven't heard.

Scorps definitely not my thing.

Treat i thought was waaaaay over rated (just doing my 2010 list then it looks like it's currently sittting just outside my top 20)

HEAT, Crazy Lixx, Reckless Love and Wigwam all make my top 20.

Think i need to hear kissing dynamite.

Kissin Dynamite isnt your thing. Its big cheesy metal ... like Accept or Edguy.

Overall I'd say it's been a very good year once again!

Here's my Top 10 plus upcoming contenders:

1. Crazy Lixx - New Religion

2. Crashdiet - Generation Wild

3. H.E.A.T - Freedom Rock

4. Airbourne - No Guts no Glory

5. Treat - Coup de Grace

6. Stan Bush - Dream the Dream

7. American Bang - ST

8. Buckcherry - All Night Long

9. Avantasia - The Wicked Symphony

10. Jettblack - Get your Hands Dirty

Upcoming:

Hinder - All American Nightmare

Hardcore Superstar - Split your lip

Distorted Wonderland - ST

Hell in the Club - Let the Games begin

Naked - Double Down

especially Hinder and HCS are definately ending up in my Top10 from what I've heard so far!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm pretty sure that if I ever get around to doing a list this year it'll shock some people. Treat followed by Crazy Lixx is the strong and solid choice for top two, but I could very well swap those two with two outside ones no one would ever see coming, until now, when I tell you what they are. I am absolutely in love with White Widdow and the Issa albums.

Seen a few so-so opinions on the White Widdow CD but in recent years when Hotshot, Rockarma and such 100% pure 80's CDs have made their way to my top spot, I think White Widdow is a real contender. I truly love that thing and the hard copy hasn't even hit my letterbox yet. :lol: As for Issa, best female fronted album I have ever heard and I am in love with it. I'll be interested to see if it can make it as high up as the top 2 or 3 this year. Musically, my ideal melodic hard rock CD.

I'm pretty sure that if I ever get around to doing a list this year it'll shock some people. Treat followed by Crazy Lixx is the strong and solid choice for top two, but I could very well swap those two with two outside ones no one would ever see coming, until now, when I tell you what they are. I am absolutely in love with White Widdow and the Issa albums.

Seen a few so-so opinions on the White Widdow CD but in recent years when Hotshot, Rockarma and such 100% pure 80's CDs have made their way to my top spot, I think White Widdow is a real contender. I truly love that thing and the hard copy hasn't even hit my letterbox yet. :lol: As for Issa, best female fronted album I have ever heard and I am in love with it. I'll be interested to see if it can make it as high up as the top 2 or 3 this year. Musically, my ideal melodic hard rock CD.

Mate, putting together a top 10 or 20 is gonna be almost impossible for 2010. I seriously think its probably the strongest year for melodic rock since 92/93 era.

Im definitely with you on White Widdow - the whole album is awesome! They literally played it between bands over the whole weekend at FF, so I got to hear it numerous times - an instant classic in my book.

Also I'd maybe even put Crashdiet > Crazy Lixx now which is a complete u-turn for me. But that Crashdiet is just awesome and has grown and grown. Another one which has grown, is Unruly Child. Im even liking the first 2 songs now and certainly everything from track 3 onwards is pure melodic bliss in my book.

Other albums which are still holding up are Pretty Maids, First Signal (which is just awesome), Treat, Terry Brock.....and surprisingly that Allen/Lande is pretty damned good too!

I think everyone knows which disc is leading the way for me tho at the moment!

Still to come though -

Work Of Art

Farcry

Vega

Hardcore Superstar (the bits ive heard sound awesome!)

Hinder

TNT (could a real surprise this one!)

All those could still impact the top ten and then some!!

Disappointment for me in 2010 is modern rock! Ive probably missed a whole bunch, as what with the twins ive just not had the chance this year to research that many new bands. Albums which have made the grade tho are STOY, Eric Gronwall, Bad City, Alter Bridge, Furyon, Stonesour and Destine....which would probably make up my top 6/7....below this tho its a bit of a blur.

Cheers

The year's almost over and I'd have to say that Accept's abso-f*cking-lutely amazing comeback album BLOOD OF THE NATIONS will top the "Best of the Year" list for me.

What makes it even more shocking is that when Accept first announced they were coming back with a new singer, my reaction was something along the lines of "Meh. Why bother?" but that album was simply so damned GOOD that it completely knocked me on my ass! Udo who???

Mate, putting together a top 10 or 20 is gonna be almost impossible for 2010. I seriously think its probably the strongest year for melodic rock since 92/93 era.

Im definitely with you on White Widdow - the whole album is awesome! They literally played it between bands over the whole weekend at FF, so I got to hear it numerous times - an instant classic in my book.

Also I'd maybe even put Crashdiet > Crazy Lixx now which is a complete u-turn for me. But that Crashdiet is just awesome and has grown and grown. Another one which has grown, is Unruly Child. Im even liking the first 2 songs now and certainly everything from track 3 onwards is pure melodic bliss in my book.

Other albums which are still holding up are Pretty Maids, First Signal (which is just awesome), Treat, Terry Brock.....and surprisingly that Allen/Lande is pretty damned good too!

Still to come though -

Work Of Art

Farcry

Vega

Hinder

Disappointment for me in 2010 is modern rock! Ive probably missed a whole bunch, as what with the twins ive just not had the chance this year to research that many new bands. Albums which have made the grade tho are STOY, Eric Gronwall, Bad City, Alter Bridge, Furyon, Stonesour and Destine....which would probably make up my top 6/7....below this tho its a bit of a blur.

Cheers

Yeah mate, for sure this would be the strongest year since the heyday. A ridiculous amount of truly excellent stuff. Good to see we're on the same page with White Widdow.

Yeah, I agree with Crashdiet too. That one, from the moment I heard it, has been in the legitimate mix with early frontrunners Treat and Crazy Lixx. All three are incredible.

Pretty Maids, First Signal, Terry Brock, Loveblast for me too, and of course Reckless Love too. They're all still there at the top, but I think a gap is emerging for the frontrunners. White Widdow, Issa, Treat, Crazy Lixx, Crashdiet and HEAT, I would suggest, will make my top 6 at the moment.

TNT? What's happened there? They haven't got rid of Mills have they? Harnell hasn't returned to the fold has he? I'm confused why this might be half decent. Of the rest of that list, I agree it could be quite good.

Pretty much agree on modern rock too. I've enjoyed plenty of CDs from this year - Just Surrender, BFMV and Lifehouse being preferential to most those you listed, personally, but I'm still yet to be totally and entirely blown away by any one modern release.

Still to come though -

Work Of Art

Farcry

Vega

Hinder

Cheers

Yeah mate, for sure this would be the strongest year since the heyday. A ridiculous amount of truly excellent stuff. Good to see we're on the same page with White Widdow.

Yeah, I agree with Crashdiet too. That one, from the moment I heard it, has been in the legitimate mix with early frontrunners Treat and Crazy Lixx. All three are incredible.

Pretty Maids, First Signal, Terry Brock, Loveblast for me too, and of course Reckless Love too. They're all still there at the top, but I think a gap is emerging for the frontrunners. White Widdow, Issa, Treat, Crazy Lixx, Crashdiet and HEAT, I would suggest, will make my top 6 at the moment.

TNT? What's happened there? They haven't got rid of Mills have they? Harnell hasn't returned to the fold has he? I'm confused why this might be half decent. Of the rest of that list, I agree it could be quite good.

Pretty much agree on modern rock too. I've enjoyed plenty of CDs from this year - Just Surrender, BFMV and Lifehouse being preferential to most those you listed, personally, but I'm still yet to be totally and entirely blown away by any one modern release.

Hinder could be what we are waiting for lol!

All I can say it has to be between TREAT and RATT!!! I got to tell you that new HEAT CD didn't do much for me nothing stood out, I thought the first one was much better.

My vote is RATT. For those of you who don't have it yet go buy it before you make your decisions.

Right now it's something like this:

1. Crashdiet - Generation Wild

2. Pretty Maids - Pandemonium

3. Crazy Lixx - New Religion

4. Reckless Love - S/T

These three have been changing places throughout the year but for now I'd say Crashdiet is my #1 but that could change in the next 7 weeks with so many new discs coming out that I need to buy.

I'm not sure yet, but so far the following has been on my radar:

ENFORCER - Diamonds

GHOST - Opus Eponymous

ILLIDIANCE - Damage Theory

never heard of these?

Check them if you have a chance. ILLIDIANCE is a long shot and probably will not make it, but both ENFORCER and GHOST will be up there at the top come the end of the year for me.

GHOST: Theatrical melodic hard rock with retro doomy influences, feat. ex-Crashdiet member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-HBqwFf8mk

ENFORCER: Swedish kids playing olschool traditional metal straight from 1983

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hv1ydRgeNrY

ILLIDIANCE: Cyber metal from Tatarstan (ex-Soviet Union) of all places

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yn104y_HRHw

Hinder could be what we are waiting for lol!

Backed! Cannot wait for this mofo and it should easily be the best modern one of the year.

My top MHR disc will be between: H.E.A.T, TREAT, FIRST SIGNAL, UNRULY CHILD. Frankly not a lot outside of these has grabbed my attention much...

My top MHR disc will be between: H.E.A.T, TREAT, FIRST SIGNAL, UNRULY CHILD. Frankly not a lot outside of these has grabbed my attention much...

Have you heard the new White Widdow - youd love that mate! Its pretty much all the above bands rolled up and spat out! lol.

That and your 4, i'd pretty much agree on.

But there's a few to go yet.

I'm not sure yet, but so far the following has been on my radar:

ENFORCER - Diamonds

GHOST - Opus Eponymous

ILLIDIANCE - Damage Theory

never heard of these?

Check them if you have a chance. ILLIDIANCE is a long shot and probably will not make it, but both ENFORCER and GHOST will be up there at the top come the end of the year for me.

GHOST: Theatrical melodic hard rock with retro doomy influences, feat. ex-Crashdiet member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-HBqwFf8mk

ENFORCER: Swedish kids playing olschool traditional metal straight from 1983

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hv1ydRgeNrY

ILLIDIANCE: Cyber metal from Tatarstan (ex-Soviet Union) of all places

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yn104y_HRHw

ENFORCER - Diamonds : quite a few people into the early 80s straight metal will love this. sounds not bad actually.

GHOST - Opus Eponymous: thats odd. what is this? who from crashdiet is in this? during the chorus the guy can sing... but... what the?

ILLIDIANCE - Damage Theory: for fans of Dragonforce id say..

• My Little Pony

Treat easily takes my number one spot and Avantasia (both new releases) takes number two--I know that will piss off a lot of you. After that, probably the new Scorps and Ratt and Pretty Maids, though not necessarily in that order. Terry Brock had a good album, though I can't help but compare it to Slamer - Nowhere Land, and that is tainting my perspective. Stan Bush's wasn't as good as his previous. First Signal is good, but not amazing. Issa, oh, Issa's debut was fantastic! Unruly Child's new release is the W.E.T. of 2010 in that it's a little over-rated--another controversial comment. H.E.A.T.'s latest effort wasn't as strong as their first, and while Crazy Lixx - New Religion was strong, I've nearly completely forgot how it sounds, which doesn't bode well.

This is gonna be difficult for me, this year, but for different reasons. Not a lot has really stuck with me. I've actually been more impressed with a lot of the old, and some rare, releases I discovered this year. But we all know I've got nonsensical taste.

Treat easily takes my number one spot and Avantasia (both new releases) takes number two--I know that will piss off a lot of you. After that, probably the new Scorps and Ratt and Pretty Maids, though not necessarily in that order. Terry Brock had a good album, though I can't help but compare it to Slamer - Nowhere Land, and that is tainting my perspective. Stan Bush's wasn't as good as his previous. First Signal is good, but not amazing. Issa, oh, Issa's debut was fantastic! Unruly Child's new release is the W.E.T. of 2010 in that it's a little over-rated--another controversial comment. H.E.A.T.'s latest effort wasn't as strong as their first, and while Crazy Lixx - New Religion was strong, I've nearly completely forgot how it sounds, which doesn't bode well.

This is gonna be difficult for me, this year, but for different reasons. Not a lot has really stuck with me. I've actually been more impressed with a lot of the old, and some rare, releases I discovered this year. But we all know I've got nonsensical taste.

I'd agree with some of that mate, although my top two spots aren't the same as yours. People seem to have forgotten about The Sorpions 'Sting In The Tail' which I have said from the word go, is a brilliant album,and is still riding high in my list. Issa whilst good, I certainly wouldn't call fantastic and won't make top 10, or even 20. I agree with your comment on the UC disc, which is certainly very very good, maybe a little over hyped. H.e.a.t I think is better overall than the debut personally, both great records though and I also don't think Terry Brock's album, whilst strong,isn't as good as the Slamer album either, although not miles away.

It seems alot of people are going to have a similar combination of certain albums this year H.e.a.t, Reckless Love, Crazy Lixx, Crashdiet, Treat, Ratt, White Widdow etc etc and whilst all of those are strong discs and some will be appearing in my list, I have a whole range of other stuff in there aswell.

I'd agree with some of that mate, although my top two spots aren't the same as yours. People seem to have forgotten about The Sorpions 'Sting In The Tail' which I have said from the word go, is a brilliant album,and is still riding high in my list. Issa whilst good, I certainly wouldn't call fantastic and won't make top 10, or even 20. I agree with your comment on the UC disc, which is certainly very very good, maybe a little over hyped. H.e.a.t I think is better overall than the debut personally, both great records though and I also don't think Terry Brock's album, whilst strong,isn't as good as the Slamer album either, although not miles away.

It seems alot of people are going to have a similar combination of certain albums this year H.e.a.t, Reckless Love, Crazy Lixx, Crashdiet, Treat, Ratt, White Widdow etc etc and whilst all of those are strong discs and some will be appearing in my list, I have a whole range of other stuff in there aswell.

I'm sure your #1 will be the new Poison 2 disc box set. :whistle: