2010 - Favorite Disc

One thing I must disgree with you on, Tim, is that it's a poor year so far. I can say that my top 3 this year is probably the strongest top 3 I have had for as many years as I can think back. Three amazing releases, and with HEAT yet to come I dare say the top 5 this year will be absolutely amazing.

But that depends on your tastes. You like the Sleeze stuff and those 80's style-Hard Rock bands (like Ratt) that are still flogging the same dead-horse they did 25 years ago, whereas I like the more Melodic Rock-type stuff. Nothing much happening in that genre, outside the mighty TREAT disc...

Yeah but don't get too caught up on labels, mate. Look at Jez's list. Pretty sure he likes "sleaze" metal as much as you. The fact is, Crashdiet and Crazy Lixx really aren't any less melodic than Treat at all. Call them "sleaze" if you must, but to me Treat, Crazy Lixx and Crashdiet are still in a 3 way battle for album of the year (so far). Every time I hear Crashdiet or Crazy Lixx I always have to ask, is Treat really better than this? How is that possible?! :)

I'd add Pretty Maids into the mix too....the first 6 songs on that album are fantastic. Are rest arent too shabby either

I agree. Awesome disc, but the fact that it isn't in a contest with the other 3 is just a testament to how good those other three discs actually are. :) Not only are the weakest songs on the Crashdiet and Crazy Lixx not "too shabby", but they're all freakin' awesome. The funny thing is, there are 4, maybe even 5 songs on the Treat CD that are weaker than anything off the other 2 CDs, yet it resides at number one at the moment. As I said, super hard contest this year.

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One thing I must disgree with you on, Tim, is that it's a poor year so far. I can say that my top 3 this year is probably the strongest top 3 I have had for as many years as I can think back. Three amazing releases, and with HEAT yet to come I dare say the top 5 this year will be absolutely amazing.

But that depends on your tastes. You like the Sleeze stuff and those 80's style-Hard Rock bands (like Ratt) that are still flogging the same dead-horse they did 25 years ago, whereas I like the more Melodic Rock-type stuff. Nothing much happening in that genre, outside the mighty TREAT disc...

Yeah but don't get too caught up on labels, mate. Look at Jez's list. Pretty sure he likes "sleaze" metal as much as you. The fact is, Crashdiet and Crazy Lixx really aren't any less melodic than Treat at all. Call them "sleaze" if you must, but to me Treat, Crazy Lixx and Crashdiet are still in a 3 way battle for album of the year (so far). Every time I hear Crashdiet or Crazy Lixx I always have to ask, is Treat really better than this? How is that possible?! :)

I'd add Pretty Maids into the mix too....the first 6 songs on that album are fantastic. Are rest arent too shabby either

I agree. Awesome disc, but the fact that it isn't in a contest with the other 3 is just a testament to how good those other three discs actually are. :) Not only are the weakest songs on the Crashdiet and Crazy Lixx not "too shabby", but they're all freakin' awesome. The funny thing is, there are 4, maybe even 5 songs on the Treat CD that are weaker than anything off the other 2 CDs, yet it resides at number one at the moment. As I said, super hard contest this year.

I agree that the Crashdiet sounds pretty damn good from the soundbytes (the Crazy Lixx sounds okay), may even pick that one up myself. But I'd be astonished if it ends up ahead of TREAT in my list - as that disc really is close to being faultless...

I agree that the Crashdiet sounds pretty damn good from the soundbytes (the Crazy Lixx sounds okay), may even pick that one up myself. But I'd be astonished if it ends up ahead of TREAT in my list - as that disc really is close to being faultless...

Yeah, to be honest I'll be surprised if the Treat one doesn't hold the top spot for me too, but there is no doubt there is some very valid competition out there.

Also, what I want to know is how y'all clowns missed out on Crashdiet when every fan of good music was going wild about their debut, 'Rest in Sleaze' a few years ago?! ;)

I agree. Awesome disc, but the fact that it isn't in a contest with the other 3 is just a testament to how good those other three discs actually are.

might not be in a contest for you mate but it is for me. As I said the first 6 songs on Pretty Maids are fantastic and in the main as good as or better than any song on either Crashdiet or Crazy Lixx. In fact the only song which really drops below excellent is 'It Comes At Night' but even that has its moments!

I agree. Awesome disc, but the fact that it isn't in a contest with the other 3 is just a testament to how good those other three discs actually are.

might not be in a contest for you mate but it is for me. As I said the first 6 songs on Pretty Maids are fantastic and in the main as good as or better than any song on either Crashdiet or Crazy Lixx. In fact the only song which really drops below excellent is 'It Comes At Night' but even that has its moments!

"It Comes At Night" is awesome IMO.

Shocking. :yikes:

Surprised a currently unreleased new album by STEEL PANTHER is not being ranked #1 of 2010/2011/2012... yet. :whistle:

Wait for that next year :D

Reckless Love is this year's Steel Panther. Not with respect to subject matter, but in terms of being somewhat formulaic and nothing necessarily innovative.

That said, incredibly well executed and produced. Towards the top of the heap as far as "fun" and "sing along" factor.

Reckless Love is this year's Steel Panther.

Ha ha I wish it was.

Reckless Love is a pretty good album with 3 or 4 killer songs, but to compare it to the awesomeness of SP's debut is a joke IMO.

Not even near.

Tsk tsk, haters still harping on about Steel Panther. :(;)

I stand by the statement that that was the best CD of 2009 and I'm sure it'll be a contender in 2011 if they release a new one. But I have to admit that I'd rate all of my top 3 above the best CD from last year (and yes, the 2nd best too - 'Revolve'), which was the Steel Panther disc. To be in April and already have 3 CDs better than last year's best CD... not bad at all.

I stand by the statement that that was the best CD of 2009 and I'm sure it'll be a contender in 2011 if they release a new one. But I have to admit that I'd rate all of my top 3 above the best CD from last year (and yes, the 2nd best too - 'Revolve'), which was the Steel Panther disc. To be in April and already have 3 CDs better than last year's best CD... not bad at all.

Mmm, think youre getting a bit too excited there mate. I agree that its been an awesome start to 2010, but I still think that the best cds from 2009 (ie WET, D2, SP, Winger etc) hold up well against the best so far this year. Treat might be a bit better overall, but the others...there's not much in it for me.

& call me optimistic, but i still think the best is yet to come in 2010 (Tim's joke being not too far from the truth).

Reckless Love is this year's Steel Panther. Not with respect to subject matter, but in terms of being somewhat formulaic and nothing necessarily innovative.

That said, incredibly well executed and produced. Towards the top of the heap as far as "fun" and "sing along" factor.

Is interesting to note that STEEL PANTHER really took-off after their appearance at the UK DOWNLOAD festival last year (as tons of people saw them that wouldn't necessarily have had access to that music). RECKLESS LOVE are playing at DOWNLOAD this year (the day I've got tickets for), so hopefully the same will happen to them...

Mmm, think youre getting a bit too excited there mate. I agree that its been an awesome start to 2010, but I still think that the best cds from 2009 (ie WET, D2, SP, Winger etc) hold up well against the best so far this year. Treat might be a bit better overall, but the others...there's not much in it for me.

& call me optimistic, but i still think the best is yet to come in 2010 (Tim's joke being not too far from the truth).

There's been one album this year that beats last years best (like DD, W.E.T) and that's TREAT. Stuff like Pretty Maids/Crashdiet is all good, but they just can't compete with last years best discs. The DD album absolutely KILLS the Pretty Maids' album stone-dead.

There's been one album this year that beats last years best (like DD, W.E.T) and that's TREAT. Stuff like Pretty Maids/Crashdiet is all good, but they just can't compete with last years best discs. The DD album absolutely KILLS the Pretty Maids' album stone-dead.

Tim are you going by soundbites or have you listened in full to these albums now??

Whilst I would agree that D2's 'Revolve' is better than PM's 'Pandemonium', it certainly doesnt 'kill it stone dead'. Pandemonium is pretty freakin good to these ears.

As for Crashdiet being better than WET and D2 or even SP for that matter......no way jose.

My list is pretty similar to everyone elses. A great year so far with hopefully more bliss to come.

So far...

Treat

Reckless Love

Crazy Lixx

Taking Dawn

Wig Wam

Story Of The Year

I'm sure H.E.A.T, Chris Laney and Farcry will rank highly as well and many more releases that I haven't fully heard or even know about yet to come.

The best new find has to be Taking Dawn, came out of nowhere and knocked me on my ass, however it came out in January and by December I hope I still remember it. I could have predicted the rest of favorites list before ever even hearing any of them.

Whilst I would agree that D2's 'Revolve' is better than PM's 'Pandemonium', it certainly doesnt 'kill it stone dead'. Pandemonium is pretty freakin good to these ears.

Yep it's pretty good to these ears too (I have the full album). But it seriously tails-off at the end and still has the standard Pretty Maids problem - consistency. They have it in them to make a HUGE all-killer album but always seem to stop a few tunes short. It's about an 8/10 IMO...

This is all about opinions and I really hope I don't agree with this one as I didn't rate 'Revolve' very highly at all. The samples I've heard from 'Pandemonium' seem pretty good, so hopefully it will be more up my street as for me Poley's return to Danger Danger was a colossal disappointment.

:anon:

This is all about opinions and I really hope I don't agree with this one as I didn't rate 'Revolve' very highly at all. The samples I've heard from 'Pandemonium' seem pretty good, so hopefully it will be more up my street as for me Poley's return to Danger Danger was a colossal disappointment.

:anon:

I wouldnt worry too much - Tim can be a harsh bugger at the best of times ;-))

I guess his assessment at 8/10 is about right, but there's no denying the first 6 tracks are all great.

I reckon, judging by your tastes, this will be much more 'your bag' than Revolve.

the songs 'Pandemonium' and 'Cielo Drive' are excellent hard rockers whilst still retaining some good melody.

Cheers

Yeah, I love both the D2 and Pretty Maids discs, but I do prefer the D2 one for sure.

As for why I'd rate Crashdiet and Crazy Lixx higher than WET, D2 and Steel Panther... pretty much just comes down to consistency. All of those CDs have some monster stand-out tracks, but there are fillers on WET, a couple of weaker songs on the D2 release (and if I'm being totally honest, I just really didn't like the lyrics on a few of those songs at all) and I think the quality is consistently higher on the 3 discs from this year than the consistent Steel Panther disc. IMO, of course. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Here's my Top 10 so far. The fact that Reckless Love/Throwdown/Sevendust can't get into the list shows what a strong year it's been (though mainly in AOR and Metal). Am sure this list will change a lot but the Top 3 are all stunning and it will take some killer music to shift any of those. Big surprise of the year is Mutiny Within which I LOVE...

1. H.E.A.T - "Freedom Rock"

2. AS I LAY DYING - "The Powerless Rise"

3. TREAT - "Coupe De Grace"

4. MUTINY WITHIN - "S/T"

5. BLEEDING THROUGH - "S/T"

6. STORY OF THE YEAR - "The Constant"

7. PRETTY MAIDS - "Pandemonium"

8. FEAR FACTORY - "Mechanize"

9. EXODUS - "Exhibit B: The Human Condition"

10. OVERKILL - "Ironbound"

Here's my Top 10 so far. The fact that Reckless Love/Throwdown/Sevendust can't get into the list shows what a strong year it's been (though mainly in AOR and Metal). Am sure this list will change a lot but the Top 3 are all stunning and it will take some killer music to shift any of those. Big surprise of the year is Mutiny Within which I LOVE...

1. H.E.A.T - "Freedom Rock"

2. AS I LAY DYING - "The Powerless Rise"

3. TREAT - "Coupe De Grace"

4. MUTINY WITHIN - "S/T"

5. BLEEDING THROUGH - "S/T"

6. STORY OF THE YEAR - "The Constant"

7. PRETTY MAIDS - "Pandemonium"

8. FEAR FACTORY - "Mechanize"

9. EXODUS - "Exhibit B: The Human Condition"

10. OVERKILL - "Ironbound"

I'd thought that you would of had the Exodus higher up on your list. I haven't heard it yet but I know you really like their newer stuff. Keep listening to the Sevendust, it's a grower.

I'd thought that you would of had the Exodus higher up on your list. I haven't heard it yet but I know you really like their newer stuff. Keep listening to the Sevendust, it's a grower.

Only just got the Exodus so it's got time to grow. Doubt it will make Top 5 though...

• 5 months later...

A good few months since the last posting here, with only a couple of months to go, so how are peoples faves sorting themselves out?. A few more good ones to come this year, but the majority of mine are already released, so a rough order is sort of working itself out in my head. Loads of great releases to choose from again this year, but I think I have my number one, followed by some other great great albums.

Mine is looking something like this.....

2010 Best of

Crashdiet - Generation Wild

Parasite City - Minstels Creed

Chris Laney - Only COme Put At Night

Crazy Lixx - New Religion

Axident Avenue - Shaken And Distrubed

Ratt - Infestation

Hansel - Never Say Die

Reckless Love - s/t

Wigwam - Non Stop Rock n ROll

Buckcherry - All Nite Long

To come / In Contention....

Distorted Wonderland

Hardcore Superstar

Cyanide 4

Asphalt Valentine

Jettblack

Murderdolls

Skull Daze

Out of that top list i think the bottom 3-or-so are likely to drop out and be replaced by some in the 2nd list. I was quite disappointed with wigwam and buchcherry, and reckless love has faded on me quite a bit.

Mine is looking something like this.....

2010 Best of

Crashdiet - Generation Wild

Parasite City - Minstels Creed

Chris Laney - Only COme Put At Night

Crazy Lixx - New Religion

Axident Avenue - Shaken And Distrubed

Ratt - Infestation

Hansel - Never Say Die

Reckless Love - s/t

Wigwam - Non Stop Rock n ROll

Buckcherry - All Nite Long

To come / In Contention....

Distorted Wonderland

Hardcore Superstar

Cyanide 4

Asphalt Valentine

Jettblack

Murderdolls

Skull Daze

Out of that top list i think the bottom 3-or-so are likely to drop out and be replaced by some in the 2nd list. I was quite disappointed with wigwam and buchcherry, and reckless love has faded on me quite a bit.

Is it just me or are you getting a bit more melodic in your old age? Doesnt seem to be as many punky rough sleeze there as you would normally have? What would you compare Parasite city to? I heard the debut, and it was ok.