Anyone hate the modern stuff?

JamesEagle

but i can't deny them that the vast majority of them are strong candidates for the Four F Club....

:unsure: .....Is it just me

+1

Find 'em, finger 'em , fuck 'em and FORGET 'em, I presume. ;)

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

but i can't deny them that the vast majority of them are strong candidates for the Four F Club....

:unsure: .....Is it just me

+1

Find 'em, finger 'em , fuck 'em and FORGET 'em, I presume. ;)

and coming from Sharatan that is definitely a LOL.....especially when you look at the shite on his website ;)

Just before this fades, James, have you heard stuff like Scar Symmetry and Sonic Syndicate yet? They might be more up your alley than the other clean-vocal stuff.

Both these bands have those horrible growling vocals you like, but are also very melodic too. To be honest, they leave that band you had the link too for dead, and then spit on their graves after urinating on them, and defecating too... after they've ejaculated on them.

Sadly I have to take issue with that statement. Bands like Scar Symmetry do have a modern sound, I would describe it as death metal with a '-core' element to it. They often combine shouty vocals with the growling and I can't stand shouty. The music is also far less original, imaginative and innovative than true death metal, it is more generic. There are a few good tracks by those bands though, e.g. a few songs I like by Scar Symmetry, Soilwork and God Forbid, but they are ones I'll get bored of more quickly than the true, growl-only death metal stuff, which lasts far more listens for me. Clearly it is massively different to the modern rock sound, but neither floats my boat.

I know you'll never get on with the growling vocals (which puts you in an enormous majority, unlike us few death metal-loving freaks) but for me they have become an acquired taste, and the sound is more like another instrument than actual singing (I doubt it it is ever intended to be the latter). There is melody in the music, which is not going to be obvious to most listeners, but to me there is loads of it and the music has real depth, which I don't hear in the modern stuff. Maybe it's the same reason I love bands like Ratt and White Sister and not, for example, Treat; to me the ones I like also have 'depth' to their music, there's more to the songs, it is not necessarily immediate, but certainly has staying power, whereas Treat's songs are quite basic and simplistic and leave me cold.

We'll never agree on this, which I don't think is a bad thing. With our iPods on shuffle, we might both have a House of Lords track on, but while yours may be followed by Treat, mine is followed by Gorefest. The important thing is, we're both happier than pigs in shit.

:drink:

We'll never agree on this, which I don't think is a bad thing. With our iPods on shuffle, we might both have a House of Lords track on, but while yours may be followed by Treat, mine is followed by Gorefest. The important thing is, we're both happier than pigs in shit.

Please remember not to mention any type of animals while addressing Geoff. You know that turns him on. :geoffadillos:

Please remember not to mention any type of animals while addressing Geoff. You know that turns him on. :geoffadillos:

Turtles..

Just before this fades, James, have you heard stuff like Scar Symmetry and Sonic Syndicate yet? They might be more up your alley than the other clean-vocal stuff.

Both these bands have those horrible growling vocals you like, but are also very melodic too. To be honest, they leave that band you had the link too for dead, and then spit on their graves after urinating on them, and defecating too... after they've ejaculated on them.

Sadly I have to take issue with that statement. Bands like Scar Symmetry do have a modern sound, I would describe it as death metal with a '-core' element to it. They often combine shouty vocals with the growling and I can't stand shouty. The music is also far less original, imaginative and innovative than true death metal, it is more generic. There are a few good tracks by those bands though, e.g. a few songs I like by Scar Symmetry, Soilwork and God Forbid, but they are ones I'll get bored of more quickly than the true, growl-only death metal stuff, which lasts far more listens for me. Clearly it is massively different to the modern rock sound, but neither floats my boat.

Well I'd take the 'core' stuff over most of the old-school Death Metal any day. Much more interesting IMO. Those old-school bands have released nothing but pure garbage for the past 20 years or so, since their heydey...

Well I'd take the 'core' stuff over most of the old-school Death Metal any day. Much more interesting IMO. Those old-school bands have released nothing but pure garbage for the past 20 years or so, since their heydey...

Hey Tim, thought you might comment on that one as I know you like the more modern take on DM. Each to their own, obviously. I think Bolt Thrower are still releasing fantastic albums, the last couple of Gorefest albums have been very good and Obituary remain as consistent as ever. To me the 'core' stuff lacks imagination and originality, but we won't agree on it. I bet there's plenty of stuff we both enjoy, so that's good enough for me.

:headbanger:

Hey Tim, thought you might comment on that one as I know you like the more modern take on DM. Each to their own, obviously. I think Bolt Thrower are still releasing fantastic albums, the last couple of Gorefest albums have been very good and Obituary remain as consistent as ever. To me the 'core' stuff lacks imagination and originality, but we won't agree on it. I bet there's plenty of stuff we both enjoy, so that's good enough for me.

:headbanger:

Yeah - don't get me wrong, I grew up with those bands in the 80's/90's but am just not very excited by any of those bands' latest discs. Obituary keep making the same album (with the same technical limitations they have), Pestilence last album sucked, so did Suffocation's. Entombed have been awful since "Wolvering Blues" (20 years or so ago), Morbid Angel keep promising a new album but not delivering, & Deicide can't get a stable line-up these days. Luckily bands like Cannibal Corpse, Nepalm Death & Hate Eternal keep the Old-School flag flying, but IMHO none of those bands' albums are as good as newies from Oceano/Whitechapel/Bleeding Through/Annotations of an Autopsy. Is amusing to me that Old-School fans distance themselves from the Modern acts, and the Modern bands all try to pretend they're not 'Deathcore' at all and are actually just pure DM!

Maybe it's the same reason I love bands like Ratt and White Sister and not, for example, Treat; to me the ones I like also have 'depth' to their music, there's more to the songs, it is not necessarily immediate, but certainly has staying power, whereas Treat's songs are quite basic and simplistic and leave me cold.

Did everyone else miss this? Explain yourself, James! :lol: Treat are basic and simplistic but Ratt are not? What the hell did I miss? I adore both bands but mate, they're 80's "hair bands." How you find more depth in Ratt over Treat has me absolutely and totally confused.

Maybe it's the same reason I love bands like Ratt and White Sister and not, for example, Treat; to me the ones I like also have 'depth' to their music, there's more to the songs, it is not necessarily immediate, but certainly has staying power, whereas Treat's songs are quite basic and simplistic and leave me cold.

Did everyone else miss this? Explain yourself, James! :lol: Treat are basic and simplistic but Ratt are not? What the hell did I miss? I adore both bands but mate, they're 80's "hair bands." How you find more depth in Ratt over Treat has me absolutely and totally confused.

Certainly. It's all about the songs, the melodies. Ratt may be a hair band, but most of their songs are varied and have interesting tunes. To me the Treat tunes I listened to were so simplistic and had no depth to them. I found that so little actually happens in a Treat song. I'm in an even smaller than usual minority on this one as most people on this site seem to like Treat, but for me it was a case of, "move along, nothing to see here".

:anon:

Certainly. It's all about the songs, the melodies. Ratt may be a hair band, but most of their songs are varied and have interesting tunes. To me the Treat tunes I listened to were so simplistic and had no depth to them. I found that so little actually happens in a Treat song. I'm in an even smaller than usual minority on this one as most people on this site seem to like Treat, but for me it was a case of, "move along, nothing to see here".

Whereas I can understand someone who may not like Treat, I don't think you can use Ratt as an example of a band with varied & interesting tunes. Or that has depth. Whether you liked Hair Metal or not, it was never famed for it's depth or variety - and tunes like "Way Cool Jr" would be right down at the bottom-end of that scale IMO. By comparison, Treat (who don't have English as a first language) ought to be literary award prize winners.

Whereas I can understand someone who may not like Treat, I don't think you can use Ratt as an example of a band with varied & interesting tunes. Or that has depth. Whether you liked Hair Metal or not, it was never famed for it's depth or variety - and tunes like "Way Cool Jr" would be right down at the bottom-end of that scale IMO. By comparison, Treat (who don't have English as a first language) ought to be literary award prize winners.

Hey, to me it's just the tunes, forget the lyrics, the Treat tunes just seems so basic, uninteresting, which is not true of Ratt, for example. But I'm not trying to convert anyone, it's just my perception. Fortunately, we have no say on what each other listens to, so everybody's happy.

Yeah James, to each their own and all that but I'll be totally honest mate, I cannot see your point there at all. :lol: I just think you've grown up with Ratt and are very familiar with their songs, and you've only just heard Treat recently. I'm not saying you should like Treat by any means, but there's no way in the world that Ratt have more depth, or are less simplistic than Treat.

• 2 years later...
  • My Little Pony

I love the modern stuff, especially those modern toasters with radios in them!!!!!

toaster_radio.jpg

I love that this is the comment that killed the thread. Although, it wasn't really going anywhere.

I'm too old to give a f*ck either way. Haha. Occasionally something "modern" or "new" might come on the radio in the car that makes me say "Hey, that's not bad," but I've never run out and bought CDs by any of 'em.

I didn't even remember replying to this thread. Either way, I still agree with myself from two and a half years ago.