Anyone hate the modern stuff?

JamesEagle

:lame:

Just wondering whether anyone else hates 'modern' sounding rock and metal? Looking at other threads, including Geoff's list of the top albums in the genre, it seems that most people on here like the modern stuff, but I can't stand it. It's like fingernails across a blackboard, it all sounds whiny and generic to me, no better than mass produced pop, even the stuff that seems to be highly rated by HH legends.

:soapbox:

Any kindred spirits, or am I sitting on my own in the corner on this one?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Knew you'd bite! :P

Will have a blast this evening and get back to you...

Don't hate it but don't have much time for it either.

Don't hate it but don't have much time for it either.

Backed !

Sorry mate, I LOVE Modern Rock/Metal. I completely understand why those who grew-up on 80's/90's MHR don't like it (a lot of my friends are in this category) but I got a bit dispirited by the quality of the new releases from the 80's/90's bands so checked out a few Modern Rock/Metal bands and the rest is history! In fact I actually prefer a lot of the Modern Metal acts (Metalcore/Screamo stuff) to those from the 80's, the quality of musicianship in some of these bands is incredible - even if they take themselves a bit too seriously compared to the older acts. I do understand those who criticise this stuff though, as if it weren't for the frankly terrible quality of AOR/MHR releases in the past 10 years or so then I probably wouldn't like any of it either...

I like both, but if it aint got a hook its dead in the water.

Its all about the hooks mate.

& to be honest the new Story Of The Year album released earlier this year has about 3 or 4 dead set killer MHR tracks complete with stunning choruses and solos that 90% of people on this site would love, if they'd just give it a chance.

Over and out.

Sorry mate, I LOVE Modern Rock/Metal. I completely understand why those who grew-up on 80's/90's MHR don't like it (a lot of my friends are in this category) but I got a bit dispirited by the quality of the new releases from the 80's/90's bands so checked out a few Modern Rock/Metal bands and the rest is history! In fact I actually prefer a lot of the Modern Metal acts (Metalcore/Screamo stuff) to those from the 80's, the quality of musicianship in some of these bands is incredible - even if they take themselves a bit too seriously compared to the older acts. I do understand those who criticise this stuff though, as if it weren't for the frankly terrible quality of AOR/MHR releases in the past 10 years or so then I probably wouldn't like any of it either...

Yeah, the simple fact at the end of the day is that hell yes there are awful modern rock bands (and thousands of them), just like there are awful AOR/melodic bands (and hundreds of them). Sorry to quote you James, but I simply just cannot fathom a quote like "it all sounds whiny and generic". That's like hearing Britny Fox and AC/DC and saying 80's hard rock is all high pitched and screamy. Yes there are whiney and generic bands (does this mean 80's rock is safe from being generic?!) but there is also a hell of a lot of stuff that is not whiney and generic, but melodic and brilliant... just like 80's rock. :)

Yeah, the simple fact at the end of the day is that hell yes there are awful modern rock bands (and thousands of them), just like there are awful AOR/melodic bands (and hundreds of them). Sorry to quote you James, but I simply just cannot fathom a quote like "it all sounds whiny and generic". That's like hearing Britny Fox and AC/DC and saying 80's hard rock is all high pitched and screamy. Yes there are whiney and generic bands (does this mean 80's rock is safe from being generic?!) but there is also a hell of a lot of stuff that is not whiney and generic, but melodic and brilliant... just like 80's rock. :)

There may be the odd song I take to, but so far I'm hating the overall sound of all of these bands. So far, looking at the other thread, I’ve listened to Hinder, Marvellous 3, Funeral For A Friend, SR-71, Papa Roach and Cauterize and with the exception of one SR-71 track and Papa Roach’s very good ‘Last Resort’ I hate it all.

Hard to put my finger on exactly what it is about the sound, maybe generic isn't the right word, it just seems somehow more false, more manufactured, maybe more shouty ... to be honest I’m not sure what it is. I'll have a listen to the tracks in Geoff's links and check out Story of the Year after Glen’s tip, then see if I can sum up what it is that bothers me so much.

And sorry Tim, but I detest any genre suffixed ‘core’. No offence!

My musical taste has plenty of room for newer hard rock and metal. I don't like all of it, just like back in the 80's/90's I didn't like all of it either. Like Glen said, HOOKS and MELODY are the keys to success if you want to be and stay in my music collection.

My musical taste has plenty of room for newer hard rock and metal. I don't like all of it, just like back in the 80's/90's I didn't like all of it either. Like Glen said, HOOKS and MELODY are the keys to success if you want to be and stay in my music collection.

Or, if the bands don't have hooks or melodies, then just being called HINDER will be okay. :P

There may be the odd song I take to, but so far I'm hating the overall sound of all of these bands. So far, looking at the other thread, I’ve listened to Hinder, Marvellous 3, Funeral For A Friend, SR-71, Papa Roach and Cauterize and with the exception of one SR-71 track and Papa Roach’s very good ‘Last Resort’ I hate it all.

Hard to put my finger on exactly what it is about the sound, maybe generic isn't the right word, it just seems somehow more false, more manufactured, maybe more shouty ... to be honest I’m not sure what it is. I'll have a listen to the tracks in Geoff's links and check out Story of the Year after Glen’s tip, then see if I can sum up what it is that bothers me so much.

Sounds like you are a lost cause mate lol!

I'd be interested in what tracks you heard of Hinder as there is a massive difference between their debut (which you could be forgiven for thinking is a bit generic) and 'Take It To The Limit' which is pretty much pure 80s hard rock and has been enjoyed by some of the guys on this site who wouldny normally entertain this genre.

If you want to hear some Story Of The Year then I'd try the following tracks which are all pretty melodic....you will hate their more aggressive stuff, so dont bother with that!

Message To The World

The Dream Is Over

Ten Years Down

And make sure you listen to the 'chorus into guitar solo' parts as they are the best bits of the songs!

Esp 'The Dream Is Over' in which the solo is pretty awesome.

Cheers

Hmm, interesting. I wonder if you have a problem with production. With technology so easily and readily available I think people tend to go overboard. I think a lot of music nowadays is quantised so that it's all perfectly in time and can sound a bit souless and flat. Combine that with compression to make everything sound evened out, the general loudness new CDs tend to have, pitch correction and so forth I can see why a lot of things may sound generic (or as you put it manufactured).

Or maybe it's the style of playing you don't like, there is a finite number of chords afterall, but different ways of playing them. Or maybe I'm talking crap, take your pick. :)

Oh and for the record, I love modern rock and metal!

I don't mind the modern hard rock at all in fact there's a lot of stuff out there that gets lumped in with the modern rock genre that do in fact sound just like pure 80's hard rock. The problem is there's just too much music around now days that it's so hard to keep up with all the new bands as well as those from the past.

Or, if the bands don't have hooks or melodies, then just being called HINDER will be okay. :P

HINDER I don't find that bad actually and I even have 2 of their CD's. I am really proud of myself, but there you go ...... ;)

HINDER I don't find that bad actually and I even have 2 of their CD's. I am really proud of myself, but there you go ...... ;)

And so you should be....any self respecting fan of 80s hard rock (which Tim is not ;) ) who claims they dont like 'Take It To The Limit' is being a hypocrite IMO.

Pretty much essential listening to these ears

A few I like, quite a few I don't. Going back a few years I loved the Vonray and Waltham discs (still do) and I really like Hinders 'Take It To The Limit' & The Shinedown disc was excellent too, but as mentioned, those two were more straight down the line Melodic Rock discs, compared to some of the other bands we are talking about here. I must admit, that there are alot of modern bands that really don't do anything for me at all, Bullet For My Valentine & Funeral For A Friend being two examples who I find just really really dull and boring. I also thought Cauterize were crap too, but Geoff knows my feelings on them. I check most of 'em out though and give them a fair shake, although I do often come to the same conclusions.

Personally, I really like alot of the modern Finnish bands that are around like, Negative, Frail, Lovex, Carmen Gray, To/Die/For, Private Line, Hellcity 13, White Flame, Soul Relic etc which are for me, much more melodic and more to my taste.

And so you should be....any self respecting fan of 80s hard rock (which Tim is not ;) ) who claims they dont like 'Take It To The Limit' is being a hypocrite IMO.

Pretty much essential listening to these ears

Pretty strong statement mate. TIM has always stuck to his guns saying he didn't like the Hinder disc, so respect to him for that to be honest. I can see why some would see Hinder as just another band, as It was hardly anything groundbreaking, even if quite a few of us really liked it.

Okay, here goes. I've listened to a load of the suggested tracks in the thread plus a few others. I'm going to be completely honest, so some of it might be a tad scathing, but these are just my opinions and obviously represent my tastes only, so I hope no one who has love for these bands take offence!

Story of the Year - Don't Care Any More

Hate the shouted and chanted vocals, the sound is very modern metal to me and I can't stand it.

Papa Roach - Forever

It's that sudden, chanted vocal again. This is modern rock/metal to me, nothing like the chanted vox you get in hard rock. There is something too slick and too manufactured about the sound - hard to explain, but I can hear immediately in the chorus that it has the modern sound and can't stand it.

Papa Roach - What Do You Do?

The lead vocal is so 'modern', like the singer is trying really hard to sound emotional, but it just sounds fake and like he's trying too hard. Not a natural sound like the decent 80s Hard Rock vocalists. This is awful, worst one yet, as bad as Nickelback.

A Change of Pace - Take Care

Love the intro guitar, then those 'fake vocals' kick in. It's barely singing, like talking over the music at times, chanting at others. The vocals make me want to strangle something (which would no doubt make a more pleasant sound than this 'singing'). Horrible.

Yellowcard - Keeper

AAARRRGHHHH! Horrid vocals again. Talking, shouting and chanting. No singing at all. The sound is so generic, it could be any of these artists. Worst one yet. This is torture.

Hinder - Take It To The Limit

Not 80s hard rock at all as far as I can hear. Nice guitars but utterly ruined by terrible vocals, shouted all the way through. I actually really like the guitar on this, but can't enjoy it because of the vocal.

Hinder - Heaven Sent

That big, single-note chant in the chorus that is so typical of the modern stuff. Guitars nice again, and again destroyed by the 'singing'.

Story of the Year - Message to the World

Here we go again, these chanted vocals again. I think this is my main problem with the modern stuff, the vocals all sound like talking/chanting/shouting. Yeah, the 80s stuff had lots of chanting, but is was mainly backing vocals and anyway, it sounded different. Don't really like the song at all.

Story of the Year - Anthem Of Our Dying Day

The tune is fine, vocals ruin it as usual. In fact, this is a good song, probably the best up to this point, but I wouldn't be able to listen to it.

Story of the Year - The Dream Is Over

Now this is a good song, very good, better than any of the others I've listened to in this list. I'm so gutted about the vocals, because again they ruin the song for me.

Story of the Year - Ten Years Down

Don't like this at all, sounds like any other modern rock/metal track, very poor.

Shinedown - Sound of Madness

Nice solo, shame about the rest of it.

Shinedown – If Only You Knew

Slightly less annoying vocal this time, bit more like 80s rock, but still with that modern edge to it. So hard to put into words! Not too bad, but nothing special.

Shinedown – Devour

I should hate this as it ticks all the wrong boxes for me, but I quite like it. More than quite, I might actually download this one. Whoops! :whistle:

Waltham – Joanne

Oh dear.

Cauterize – Something Beautiful

My wife just had to stop me cutting my ears off. I used to think I was the worst singer in the world. Not any more.

Cauterize – Still Breathing

So generic, no tune at all, one of the worst vocalists I’ve ever heard.

That’s it, I’ve had all I can take. Sermon over. If I find a horse's head in my bed tomorrow, I'll know Geoff organised it.

Listening to this now: soothing sounds

Ahh ... that’s better! :tumbsup:

Can`t say I really know any modern stuff, heard a lot off the Kerrang channel (if that counts) which doesn`t appeal to me, old school and all that. :angel:

Sounds like you are a lost cause mate lol!

QFT = Quoted for truth.

Oh Tim, you kill me my good man! Okay, so you hate the CD, but no hooks or melodies? Are you actually going out of your way to discredit yourself and try to prove how wrong you are? :lol: Love or hate it, it has got to be one of the most catchy and melodic CDs released in the last 20 years.

Okay, here goes. I've listened to a load of the suggested tracks in the thread plus a few others. I'm going to be completely honest, so some of it might be a tad scathing, but these are just my opinions and obviously represent my tastes only, so I hope no one who has love for these bands take offence!

Story of the Year - Don't Care Any More

Hate the shouted and chanted vocals, the sound is very modern metal to me and I can't stand it.

Papa Roach - Forever

It's that sudden, chanted vocal again. This is modern rock/metal to me, nothing like the chanted vox you get in hard rock. There is something too slick and too manufactured about the sound - hard to explain, but I can hear immediately in the chorus that it has the modern sound and can't stand it.

Papa Roach - What Do You Do?

The lead vocal is so 'modern', like the singer is trying really hard to sound emotional, but it just sounds fake and like he's trying too hard. Not a natural sound like the decent 80s Hard Rock vocalists. This is awful, worst one yet, as bad as Nickelback.

A Change of Pace - Take Care

Love the intro guitar, then those 'fake vocals' kick in. It's barely singing, like talking over the music at times, chanting at others. The vocals make me want to strangle something (which would no doubt make a more pleasant sound than this 'singing'). Horrible.

Yellowcard - Keeper

AAARRRGHHHH! Horrid vocals again. Talking, shouting and chanting. No singing at all. The sound is so generic, it could be any of these artists. Worst one yet. This is torture.

Hinder - Take It To The Limit

Not 80s hard rock at all as far as I can hear. Nice guitars but utterly ruined by terrible vocals, shouted all the way through. I actually really like the guitar on this, but can't enjoy it because of the vocal.

Hinder - Heaven Sent

That big, single-note chant in the chorus that is so typical of the modern stuff. Guitars nice again, and again destroyed by the 'singing'.

Story of the Year - Message to the World

Here we go again, these chanted vocals again. I think this is my main problem with the modern stuff, the vocals all sound like talking/chanting/shouting. Yeah, the 80s stuff had lots of chanting, but is was mainly backing vocals and anyway, it sounded different. Don't really like the song at all.

Story of the Year - Anthem Of Our Dying Day

The tune is fine, vocals ruin it as usual. In fact, this is a good song, probably the best up to this point, but I wouldn't be able to listen to it.

Story of the Year - The Dream Is Over

Now this is a good song, very good, better than any of the others I've listened to in this list. I'm so gutted about the vocals, because again they ruin the song for me.

Story of the Year - Ten Years Down

Don't like this at all, sounds like any other modern rock/metal track, very poor.

Shinedown - Sound of Madness

Nice solo, shame about the rest of it.

Shinedown – If Only You Knew

Slightly less annoying vocal this time, bit more like 80s rock, but still with that modern edge to it. So hard to put into words! Not too bad, but nothing special.

Shinedown – Devour

I should hate this as it ticks all the wrong boxes for me, but I quite like it. More than quite, I might actually download this one. Whoops! :whistle:

Waltham – Joanne

Oh dear.

Cauterize – Something Beautiful

My wife just had to stop me cutting my ears off. I used to think I was the worst singer in the world. Not any more.

Cauterize – Still Breathing

So generic, no tune at all, one of the worst vocalists I’ve ever heard.

That’s it, I’ve had all I can take. Sermon over. If I find a horse's head in my bed tomorrow, I'll know Geoff organised it.

Listening to this now: soothing sounds

Ahh ... that’s better! :tumbsup:

Jesus mate, if I were you I would have given up a long time before you did. You are obviously not cut out for awesome modern rock my friend.

By the way, there are a lot of shite whiny vocalists from the 80s too you know.

& SOTY vocalist poor. Yeah nice one mate. One of my fav vocalists period. Any genre, any period.