2010's Modern Rock Radio Singles

Jeff

Well, I was trying to think the past few days how to make this post make sense but I'll just go for it and try.

Because local radio mostly sucks, I listen to cd's and my mp3 player. However, I do like "some" of the songs by bands like Nickelback, Godsmack, Papa Roach, etc. that get air time on the radio. For example, a month ago I happened to have the local rock radio station on in the garage and Cavo's "Champagne" came on. Now I know some of you have talked about them on here but if I had not had the radio on, this is one single that I would have missed.

So I was hoping each year moving forward to have a post where we could post radio singles from bands we might not talk about much here, if at all.

Examples from years past:

Chevelle - I Get It

3rd Strike - No Light

A Perfect Circle - Judith

Default - Deny

Memento - Nothing Sacred

Stereomud - Pain

Shinedown - Second Chance

Crossfade - Cold

Fair To Midland - Dance Of The Manatee

Finger Eleven - Paralyzer

Basically I know I am missing some good modern rock singles but I don't have the money to buy every CD that comes out. So for the more commercial bands or modern one hit wonders, I just want the "cliff notes" so I can buy the MP3 from Amazon or wherever.

If this makes sense and the 2010 list seems to work for everyone, maybe we could go back in time and start some lists for 2000-2009? Only thing is I will be more of a leech on these lists than a contributor. :tumbsup:

Sorry mate, can't help here because I have no idea what gets released as singles - from the brief visits in my wife's car all I recall are the huge hits from Hinder, Fall Out Boy, that terrible Finger Eleven song and I heard Shinedown's 'Second Chance' a couple of times.

Anyway, just wanted to say, sign up to Secondspin.com!!! For the price of the MP3's of these yucky singles, in many cases (if you wait for a 20-30% off plus free shipping sale - which are quite common, or were anyway) you could have the full CD for a couple more dollars.

Of all those songs I only know the Shinedown album and although that was the best hook on the album imo, I thought there were several better songs. And with regard to Hinder, 'Without you' (their last single) was by far one of the weakest tracks on the CD. So in most cases you're definitely going to be better off with the full disc. :)

Some of my faves from late '09 till now:

Burn It To The Ground- Nickelback

Kings And Queens- 30 Seconds To Mars

Don't Ever Leave- Smile Empty Soul

If You Only Knew- Shinedown

So Far Down- Craving Lucy

Burn Me Out- Stone Cold Sober

Awake and Alive- Skillet

Aftermath- Adam Lambert

Enemies- Ashes Divide

Storm To Pass- Atreyu

Well, I was trying to think the past few days how to make this post make sense but I'll just go for it and try.

Because local radio mostly sucks, I listen to cd's and my mp3 player. However, I do like "some" of the songs by bands like Nickelback, Godsmack, Papa Roach, etc. that get air time on the radio. For example, a month ago I happened to have the local rock radio station on in the garage and Cavo's "Champagne" came on. Now I know some of you have talked about them on here but if I had not had the radio on, this is one single that I would have missed.

So I was hoping each year moving forward to have a post where we could post radio singles from bands we might not talk about much here, if at all.

Examples from years past:

Chevelle - I Get It

3rd Strike - No Light

A Perfect Circle - Judith

Default - Deny

Memento - Nothing Sacred

Stereomud - Pain

Shinedown - Second Chance

Crossfade - Cold

Fair To Midland - Dance Of The Manatee

Finger Eleven - Paralyzer

Basically I know I am missing some good modern rock singles but I don't have the money to buy every CD that comes out. So for the more commercial bands or modern one hit wonders, I just want the "cliff notes" so I can buy the MP3 from Amazon or wherever.

If this makes sense and the 2010 list seems to work for everyone, maybe we could go back in time and start some lists for 2000-2009? Only thing is I will be more of a leech on these lists than a contributor. :tumbsup:

Jeff, Geoff's right....forget singles,,,,if you are intending to buy the MP3s then you just need the BEST tracks, not necessarily the ones released as singles.

So......how about we use this thread to post what we think are the best modern tracks of 2010 and that way you wont miss anything!

We'll all disagree of course so it will be up to you to listen to the samples of the songs and decide for yourself.

& just to add to R's post.......you need 'Aftermath' by Adam Lambert! The song is sensational and one of my fav modern rock songs of 2009.

Cheers

The best Modern Rock song of 2009 was CREED - "Rain".

Strange choice mate....that's a decent song, but in truth there are probably at least 5 songs on the Daughtry album (same style) alone that are better.

In a year of brilliant modern rock ballads, i doubt whether 'Rain' would even make my top 10??!

And in fact, here are 10 modern rock ballads (off the top of my head) which are better (IMO of course!)

Skillet - Lucy

Coldrain - Deja Vu :bowdown:

Nural - Say What You Will

The Veer Union - Im Sorry

Monty Are I - Makin Sounds

Vaeda - Save You Saviour

Adelitas Way - Last Stand :bowdown:

Daughtry - One Last Chance :bowdown:

Halestorm - Bet U Wish U Had Me Back

New Device - In The Fading Light

Strange choice mate....that's a decent song, but in truth there are probably at least 5 songs on the Daughtry album (same style) alone that are better.

In a year of brilliant modern rock ballads, i doubt whether 'Rain' would even make my top 10??!

And in fact, here are 10 modern rock ballads (off the top of my head) which are better (IMO of course!)

Skillet - Lucy

Vaeda - Save You Saviour

I definitely don't agree about DAUGHTRY, the ballads on that thing are shite (and there are too many). Average album that one. I do think the SKILLET song is right up there, so are the VEER UNION/ADELITAS WAY tracks, but I'd probably have ATREYU's "Storm To Pass" as my No.2 track. None of those mentioned top the CREED track IMHO....

Glen, Geoff, that sounds good to me. You are right some of the songs released for the radio are not the best, so yeah I think that will work good for this thread to just list whatever singles from a release.

Geoff, to your point, I would like to buy the whole cd but I spend my money on the stuff that we really dive into on this board, i.e. Crashdiet, new House of Lords, things like that. I agree and would love to buy the whole cd because the B-side music is sometimes the best, like many of you I just can't afford every cd. That said, if someone says for example "Cavo's Champagne is good but the whole cd is worth owning", I'll track down samples and maybe get the cd.

Skillet - Lucy

Vaeda - Save You Saviour

I definitely don't agree about DAUGHTRY, the ballads on that thing are shite (and there are too many). Average album that one.

I wasnt talking about the ballads........I was thinking 'What I Meant To Say', 'Ghost Of Me', 'Supernatural', 'Traffic Light', 'One Last Chance (ok, which is a ballad)'

& anyway, do you really think 'One Last Chance' is shite?? I think that's a great song....by anyones standard......surely?? Even you?? No?? Maybe not??

Anyway, there's 5 songs on Daughtry which piss on 'Rain' IMO.

For what its worth.........cheers

Best song of 2009.

Glen's list is pretty good there, though I don't like the Daughtry song either. But yeah, if you insist on calling the New Device CD "modern rock", 'In The Fading Light' was one of the best songs of 2009.

While we're on the subject of Cavo, the song 'Ghost' from that CD is also one of the best songs from the year. And if we're talking modern rock ballads in 2009 don't dare overlook the trio from No Love Lost; 'Start over', 'Tell me' and 'Wasted'.

Some of my faves from late '09 till now:

Burn It To The Ground- Nickelback

Kings And Queens- 30 Seconds To Mars

Don't Ever Leave- Smile Empty Soul

If You Only Knew- Shinedown

So Far Down- Craving Lucy

Awake and Alive- Skillet

Aftermath- Adam Lambert

Enemies- Ashes Divide

Storm To Pass- Atreyu

Exactly what I was talking about! I would never get around to hearing some of these songs. I haven't gotten to all of them but so far that Atreyu tune is great, Kings and Queens is ok, not bad, and that Adam Lambert song is not bad and I feel it will grow on me (and I NEVER would have heard this one otherwise). Thanks!

Glen's list is pretty good there, though I don't like the Daughtry song either.

My apologies to the Glen-ster. And I think Tim may have done the same thing as me. When I saw the title I just automatically assumed it was one of the ballads on the CD, and because ALL of the ballads on the actual CD were absolute shit I said it was shit. However, just went through the bonus tracks for this album on my Ipod yesterday and there it was - 'One last chance' - and like Glen says, it is an excellent track. So my apologies.

Man listening to those bonus tracks makes me sooo angry!! If they'd cut the album down to 10 songs and only left 'No Surprise', 'Ghost of me' and 'Supernatural' on it and completely scrapped the rest of it and instead added 'Long Way', 'One Last Chance', 'What Have We Become', 'On the Inside', 'Traffic Light' (amazing track), 'Get Me Through', 'Back Again' (as good as the best song recorded for this CD) so that the final track list looked like this (in no particular order):

1. 'No Surprise'

2. 'Ghost of me'

3. 'Supernatural'

4. 'Long Way'

5. 'One Last Chance'

6. 'What Have We Become'

7. 'On the Inside'

8. 'Traffic Light'

9. 'Get Me Through'

10. 'Back Again

(maybe even throw the 4th and 5th best other songs for 'Leave this town' on there to make it a 12 tracker, if totally necessary)

Honestly, if they'd done this the album would ( a ) have been stunning, ( b ) destroyed the debut and ( c ) actually featured very high in my top 10 list. The way that 'Leave this town' was actually presented is probably the worst song choice selection I will ever witnessed in my life.

Glen's list is pretty good there, though I don't like the Daughtry song either.

My apologies to the Glen-ster. And I think Tim may have done the same thing as me. When I saw the title I just automatically assumed it was one of the ballads on the CD, and because ALL of the ballads on the actual CD were absolute shit I said it was shit. However, just went through the bonus tracks for this album on my Ipod yesterday and there it was - 'One last chance' - and like Glen says, it is an excellent track. So my apologies.

Man listening to those bonus tracks makes me sooo angry!! If they'd cut the album down to 10 songs and only left 'No Surprise', 'Ghost of me' and 'Supernatural' on it and completely scrapped the rest of it and instead added 'Long Way', 'One Last Chance', 'What Have We Become', 'On the Inside', 'Traffic Light' (amazing track), 'Get Me Through', 'Back Again' (as good as the best song recorded for this CD) so that the final track list looked like this (in no particular order):

1. 'No Surprise'

2. 'Ghost of me'

3. 'Supernatural'

4. 'Long Way'

5. 'One Last Chance'

6. 'What Have We Become'

7. 'On the Inside'

8. 'Traffic Light'

9. 'Get Me Through'

10. 'Back Again

(maybe even throw the 4th and 5th best other songs for 'Leave this town' on there to make it a 12 tracker, if totally necessary)

Honestly, if they'd done this the album would ( a ) have been stunning, ( b ) destroyed the debut and ( c ) actually featured very high in my top 10 list. The way that 'Leave this town' was actually presented is probably the worst song choice selection I will ever witnessed in my life.

No mate it was Sony being clever and trying to make money out of the regular punter by making them buy every bonus track in different formats.

I actually did just as you have said and have a very similar listing on my ipod...........hence why I rated this so highly.....4th or 5th if i remember correctly!

If you look back on the original thread i was arguing this point at the time. All those guys saying the Daughtry album is average needs those bonus tracks....most of them are awesome tracks.

Cheers

Yeah 'What I meant to Say' needs to be on there as that is a great track too..............

Yeah, I'd probably agree. I remember there being one or two other decent tracks on the actual CD, but for the most part it was a bit of a trainwreck. And yeah, I agree that Sony was obviously very interested in raping people silly, but man I wish they'd saved the shithouse songs (that made it onto the CD) as the bonus tracks for people to track down.

Surely it would have been in everyone's best interest (label and artist) to have a good album primarily (that would get good reviews and be popular and therefore sell more copies), and then still have half a dozen bonus tracks for people to track down (and subsequently be disappointed). :lol:

Others from 2008-09 I like....

The Hunger- Beyond The Now

Reign On Me- Bluecollar Suicide

End Of The Road- 7Day Binge

Seasons- The Veer Union

Devour- Shinedown

Mystery Of You- Red

Right Before My Eyes- Course Of Nature

What I Meant To Say- Daughtry

End Of The World- Dead By Sunrise

The Rain- Down From Up

Yeah 'What I meant to Say' needs to be on there as that is a great track too..............

Right you are, my furry friend. How the hell I forgot about that one I'll never know as it's my 2nd or 3rd fave on the disc, but yeah, totally agree. Love that tune.

Right you are, my furry friend. How the hell I forgot about that one I'll never know as it's my 2nd or 3rd fave on the disc, but yeah, totally agree. Love that tune.

furry?? :unsure:

• 6 months later...

Resurrecting this dead thread to see what modern rock singles/airplay are floating people's boats.

Ones I like as of late:

Skillet - Hero

Papa Roach - Kick in the Teeth

10 years - Shoot It Out

My current two faves are...

STONE SOUR - Say You'll Haunt Me

30 SECONDS TO MARS - Closer to the Edge

Here are some of my favs, with links where possible.

Got to say that 2010 has been a major disappointment for modern rock in compared to 2009.

Disciple - Dear X (You Dont Own Me) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bc_p9b409yE

Erik Gronwall - Destination Anywhere http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BuYmDMZxXn8

Ed Kowalczyk - Grace (just search on you tube, my internet connection is shite at work!).

[also love that Stonesour tune that Tim mentioned!].

Cheers

PS the first 30 second clip is up on the Hinder myspace page.....sounds like the new album is gonna be another arse kicker!

I'm digging the new Linkin Park "The Catalyst"

I heard the full disc at the weekend, is very electronic and quite progressive. Hard work on first listen but pretty intriguing....