A Day Away

Glen

Had a quick search around and couldnt find any reference to this band nor was this album in anyone's 2008 list.

This is bordering on not being my sound, but these guys have choruses like Simple Plan so its actually pretty good [Geoff - if you dont know these guys, you'll love em! lol].

2 albums to mention -

2008 - 'Here We Go Again'. Really good, with some of the best songs in the second half like 'Push Her Back', 'Black n Blues' (excellent!), 'Kiss and Tell' (another great chorus) and 'Dressed To Thrill' (which is about as close to Simple Plan as you can get!). 4 great songs back to back, but seriously all the choruses are really good on this.

Not sure if this would make top 10 for 2008 as that was a brilliant year for modern rock, but it is good.

2006 - Touch Me, Tease Me - slightly more pop, but I reckon these songs are even more infectious. Not a filler in sight. If you are a fan of this sound you'll love this album. Check out 'Touch Me, Tease Me' on the myspace - seriously infectious. And 'Coldest Night' is a good ballad (but in fairness is probably one of the weaker tracks).

This is a defo top tenner for 2006!

--------------------------

Worth checking out guys.

http://www.myspace.com/adayawayband

Cheers

The song "Here We Go Again" was pretty solid, but the other tracks I listened to really didn't do much for me. Simple Plan is really the only band left that can pull this style off with good results now imo. Granted, I didn't hear a couple of the best tracks that you mentioned though.

I have heard of these guys but they're one of those bands whose CDs proved a little difficult to find right away (ie. Secondspin didn't stock them at the time) so I gave up temporarily. Will check out a few downloads tonight and see if I need to check them out. Sounds interesting.

And Chris... emo? Really? lol, they seem about as emo as Skid Row. :lol:

I have heard of these guys but they're one of those bands whose CDs proved a little difficult to find right away (ie. Secondspin didn't stock them at the time) so I gave up temporarily. Will check out a few downloads tonight and see if I need to check them out. Sounds interesting.

Its that shitty sounding, whiny, tinny, woe-is-me voice. The music is OK but thats about it. The voice is what makes it sound emo. And if they are anything like Simple Plan, then emo it is.... :tumbsup:

Its that shitty sounding, whiny, tinny, woe-is-me voice. The music is OK but thats about it. The voice is what makes it sound emo. And if they are anything like Simple Plan, then emo it is.... :tumbsup:

HAHA! Mate, you really need to redefine your definition of emo. Listen to Fugazi and tell me how much they sound anything like Simple Plan etc. Emo is as commercial/melodic as a garden hose.

This stuff is just pure pop rock. That shitty kind of vocal (which I hate too, but not enough to dismiss great songs) is associated with punk... got nothing to do with emo. :)

HAHA! Mate, you really need to redefine your definition of emo. Listen to Fugazi and tell me how much they sound anything like Simple Plan etc. Emo is as commercial/melodic as a garden hose.

This stuff is just pure pop rock. That shitty kind of vocal (which I hate too, but not enough to dismiss great songs) is associated with punk... got nothing to do with emo. :)

Must be an Aussie/American way of speaking. I call it emo. You call it punk/pop/rock. Either way its shit to me...

Must be an Aussie/American way of speaking. I call it emo. You call it punk/pop/rock. Either way its shit to me...

LOL, the old emo argument again!

I tend to agree that this sound is just not for me and that Simple Plan are the only band which can pull this sound off and sound awesome.

That said, this band are pretty good and there are a few killer songs on each album.

'Here We Go Again' is definitely the stronger album for me (just more rocky) and those tracks I mentioned above remain my favs.

There are a couple of good rocking moments on the second half of the first album though....namely 'Go Back' and 'She Needs To Know'.

Cheers

Put these on the Ipod last night and only had a chance to listen to the debut so far - pretty good stuff. Looking forward to the second one if it's even better. :) I didn't even think the vocals were really that bad either.

As for Simple Plan being the only good band with "this sound" I'll leave you guys to that discussion. Not sure what "this sound" is exactly but I think there are plenty of great bands like this.