Barren Cross announces new vocalist...

Fat Freddy

From BC's MySpace... the new singer is ... Dean Kohn! (All together now: Who?)

http://blogs.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseact...logId=514594737

Introducing Dean Kohn (bio)

Dean Kohn had his first musical beginnings at a very early age. From playing the trumpet in grade school to Rock-n-Roll in high school, he loved to listen to bands like Cheap Trick and AC/DC.

In 1985, at the age of 20 years old, Dean began singing and excelled quickly to the point where in 1986 he decided to take up singing full-time. Over the next two years he took vocal lessons from Hollywood vocal coach Elizabeth Sabine, who has trained such vocalists as Michael Sweet of Stryper, Don Barnes of 38 Special and Dave Mustaine of Megadeth.

In 1988, Dean was singing lead vocals for the band ATTAKK, when friend and band mate, Hideo Inakuma, introduced him to the Japanese band Loudness. Upon recording and pre-releasing a demo in Japan for the band ATTAKK, the members of Loudness inquired if Dean would be willing to sing on their upcoming CD, Soldiers of Fortune. Munetaki Higuchi, the drummer for Loudness, and Hideo Inakuma contacted Dean and they all agreed to meet and set recording dates. Although Dean began cutting tracks, Executive Producer, Max Norman, determined it would be better to replace Dean with Mike Vescara, whose vocals resembled more the prior singer’s. Disappointed but not discouraged, Dean kept pursuing his career.

In 1989, Dean met with guitarist Mick Zane and bassist Mark Behn, from the band Malice. Dean was invited to join the band as lead vocalist. However, due to Dean’s battle with drugs and alcohol he felt he had to leave the band.

In 1991, Dean was accepted Christ into his life; however, his desire was to still sing and pursue a career in music.

But God kept pursuing Dean and in 1992, he felt that he needed to surrender his whole life to Christ and he entered rehab at Victory Outreach Men’s Home (VOMH). Here Dean was able to get clean and develop and mature in Christ. Upon graduation, from VOMH, Dean laid his musical dream down and began working with the VOMH faculty, helping others discover a personal relationship with Jesus Christ. Dean has been serving and helping to build this ministry for over 17 years now.

Dean’s desire to sing has never waned through the years, but as a fully committed Christian he realized that he needed to personally wait on God and His timing. Dean believes this is now the time. He contacted Barren Cross after noticing that they did not have a lead singer listed on the band’s MySpace. Dean initially contacted Ray Parris via email. He then had subsequent phone conversations with both Ray Parris and Steve Whitaker. Finally, Jim LaVerde, Steve, Ray and Dean met and, after much prayer, Dean was asked to become the new lead vocalist for Barren Cross.

...ooookay, so... anybody heard of this guy? Me neither. Pretty cool story about his near-miss with Loudness though. BC just posted on their Facebook page that they will be "coming out with new music" soon. These guys appear to move at the same pace as a glacier, though, so I don't think I'll be holding my breath while I wait... :lol:

In 1991, Dean was accepted Christ into his life; however, his desire was to still sing and pursue a career in music.

But God kept pursuing Dean and in 1992, he felt that he needed to surrender his whole life to Christ

Dean’s desire to sing has never waned through the years, but as a fully committed Christian he realized that he needed to personally wait on God and His timing.

I laughed so hard until the spurts of laughter turned to raging tears. It's very nice of God to let Dean Koontz sing again. What a top fella.

Finally, Jim LaVerde, Steve, Ray and Dean met and, after much prayer, Dean was asked to become the new lead vocalist for Barren Cross.

Wow !! What a story... ! :lol: Did they sing that prayer ??

Finally, Jim LaVerde, Steve, Ray and Dean met and, after much prayer, Dean was asked to become the new lead vocalist for Barren Cross.

How'd I miss that line? That is amazing. HAHA. I love that 'State of Control' CD but man, these guys sound like f*cking loonies! :lol:

How'd I miss that line? That is amazing. HAHA. I love that 'State of Control' CD but man, these guys sound like f*cking loonies! :lol:

I have to disagree. Waiting for God's will and relying on His timing can help folks avoid problems. It does not mean a person is crazy.

I am looking forward to this new music. Attakk and Malice both had some great tunes!

Wow !! What a story... ! :lol: Did they sing that prayer??

How'd I miss that line? That is amazing. HAHA. I love that 'State of Control' CD but man, these guys sound like f*cking loonies!

I have to disagree. Waiting for God's will and relying on His timing can help folks avoid problems. It does not mean a person is crazy.

I am looking forward to this new music. Attakk and Malice both had some great tunes!

Eh, ignore them both. Apparently our good lad Swazi can be terribly offended by humorous pics of Hitler, but has no problem with potentially offending the Christians on the board by mocking their beliefs/practices... Thank God (pun intended) I've got thicker skin and understand the concept of a public message board, which by its very nature means if you're offended by something, you don't have to visit.

Anyway, Barren Cross's business with God is their business...all I want to know is whether or not the new singer is any good. Mike Lee could belt out the metal tuneage, so this newbie has some big shoes to fill.

Wow !! What a story... ! :lol: Did they sing that prayer??

How'd I miss that line? That is amazing. HAHA. I love that 'State of Control' CD but man, these guys sound like f*cking loonies!

Eh, ignore them both. Apparently our good lad Swazi can be terribly offended by humorous pics of Hitler, but has no problem with potentially offending the Christians on the board by mocking their beliefs/practices... Thank God (pun intended) I've got thicker skin and understand the concept of a public message board, which by its very nature means if you're offended by something, you don't have to visit.

Anyway, Barren Cross's business with God is their business...all I want to know is whether or not the new singer is any good. Mike Lee could belt out the metal tuneage, so this newbie has some big shoes to fill.

Yeah, backed. Loonies or not (and I still maintain that they certainly are ;) ) as long as the music is good they can be as messed up in the head as they like. :)

And just quickly before I go... dudes, please humour me. How literal are you guys being here? Did God's voice literally whisper into this guy's ear and tell him the time was right to sing for Barren Cross? Or, is he just that messed up in the head that he mistook making a decision (like any other normal human) as being a decision handed down to him directly from God?

Can you imagine everyone sat around waiting for God to make decisions for them? Sorry guys, this is just painful to witness. I cannot believe we're part of the same species! :lol:

Why does he represent himself as such a pissweak individual who can't make his own mind up? This just sounds - again - like a weak-minded cop-out to me. He should stop being such a pussy and take ownership of his own decisions.

Sorry, rant ended. My apologies. Let's hope the music speaks for itself.

Apparently our good lad Swazi can be terribly offended by humorous pics of Hitler, but has no problem with potentially offending the Christians on the board by mocking their beliefs/practices... Thank God (pun intended) I've got thicker skin and understand the concept of a public message board, which by its very nature means if you're offended by something, you don't have to visit.

Sorry, mate, but WTF are you talking about ? Yes, I really don't think this kind of pics are "humorous", and I expressed my opinion that I believe they don't belong on this or any board. Really sorry if you don't like that.

In my post in this thread I wasn't in any way trying to mock any Christian's beliefs and practices. You don't know me, so don't give me that bullshit. But I think this sentence how Barren Cross chose their singer is funny. Different humor, hey ? Where's your thick skin ?

Apparently our good lad Swazi can be terribly offended by humorous pics of Hitler, but has no problem with potentially offending the Christians on the board by mocking their beliefs/practices... Thank God (pun intended) I've got thicker skin and understand the concept of a public message board, which by its very nature means if you're offended by something, you don't have to visit.

Sorry, mate, but WTF are you talking about? Yes, I really don't think this kind of pics are "humorous", and I expressed my opinion that I believe they don't belong on this or any board. Really sorry if you don't like that.

In my post in this thread I wasn't in any way trying to mock any Christian's beliefs and practices. You don't know me, so don't give me that bullshit. But I think this sentence how Barren Cross chose their singer is funny. Different humor, hey ? Where's your thick skin?

I'm talking about your hypocrisy/double standard when it comes to being (potentially) offensive. You were offended by a humorous (to most folks, anyway) picture of Hitler and requested that it be removed, yet strolled into this thread and dropped a humorous (to some, anyway) but mocking comment about Barren Cross' prayers regarding a new singer, a comment that any Christian could easily construe as mocking their beliefs on praying.

So how 'bout this? You don't like a picture, you just bite your lip and move to another thread, not demand the whole board conform to your sense of right & wrong. And when you or Geoff or anyone else slings some anti-Christian comment in the name of humor, I'll just roll my eyes and move along, not insist on a retraction or deletion. Because honest to God (again, pun intended), I couldn't care less if you posted a photo of Satan butt-banging a bent-over Christ...my beliefs are just that--mine--and if you want to poke fun, mock, or satirize them, knock your socks off. But don't bitch about being offended by what somebody else did that rubbed you wrong and then spout off something that might piss off a particular set of people...it's called hypocrisy and it irks the hell out of me.

Now that all that's off my chest, allow me to say that I really don't have a problem with you, and I formally invite you to Australia to join me and Geoff at a beach-side pub over pink drinks for a theological debate. When we've completed that, we'll ogle the scantily-clad female flesh strutting by and this particular thread will be a distant forgotten memory. :drink:

Well, this thread got unexpectedly ugly. :blink:

Not for nuthin' Mark but I can see where Swazi's coming from on that Hitler pic...you gotta remember his homeland has spent the last 60+ years trying to un-do/atone for everything that madman did, so it's understandable that he, like most Germans, would be a little touchy about anything making light of that subject...not to mention, if I'm not mistaken (correct me if I'm wrong, Bernd) displays of anything having to do with Nazism are out-and-out illegal in Germany today; if he'd been looking at H.H. in, say, a library or an internet cafe where other people could've seen that picture when it came up, he could''ve actually gotten into trouble with the law... !!

Think of it this way; if this board had some African-American members (maybe we do? I honestly don't know) and they took offense to someone posting a supposedly "funny" pic of a KKK member in front of a CD collection, would you tell them "Ehh, lighten up willya?"

Don't get the wrong idea, I am probably one of the least politically-correct people on this board (right behind Geoff, haha) so I'm not trying to take sides or pick fights. I'm just sayin'.

So anyway... them Barren Cross guys, when the hell are they gonna kick down a new album anyway??

Not for nuthin' Mark but I can see where Swazi's coming from on that Hitler pic...you gotta remember his homeland has spent the last 60+ years trying to un-do/atone for everything that madman did, so it's understandable that he, like most Germans, would be a little touchy about anything making light of that subject...not to mention, if I'm not mistaken (correct me if I'm wrong, Bernd) displays of anything having to do with Nazism are out-and-out illegal in Germany today; if he'd been looking at H.H. in, say, a library or an internet cafe where other people could've seen that picture when it came up, he could've actually gotten into trouble with the law...!!

Think of it this way; if this board had some African-American members (maybe we do? I honestly don't know) and they took offense to someone posting a supposedly "funny" pic of a KKK member in front of a CD collection, would you tell them "Ehh, lighten up willya?"

Don't get the wrong idea, I am probably one of the least politically-correct people on this board (right behind Geoff, haha) so I'm not trying to take sides or pick fights. I'm just sayin'.

Actually, yeah, I would tell them to lighten up...if they had followed up their "I'm offended" speech by making comments that could easily offend a different set of people. I sorta-kinda-maybe understand why Bernd takes issue with humorous photos of Hitler, but I have little tolerance for someone who is offended by something but then proceeds to do/say something that could be found offensive by others. You can't have it both ways. Thin skin and a sharp tongue should never be part of the same body.

By the way, I wasn't going to respond to your post, but once I prayed about it, God told me to. :D

Don't get the wrong idea, I am probably one of the least politically-correct people on this board (right behind Geoff, haha)

:rofl2:

It's that obvious? Damn... I thought I'd kept it under wraps. ;):lol:

Actually, yeah, I would tell them to lighten up...if they had followed up their "I'm offended" speech by making comments that could easily offend a different set of people. I sorta-kinda-maybe understand why Bernd takes issue with humorous photos of Hitler, but I have little tolerance for someone who is offended by something but then proceeds to do/say something that could be found offensive by others. You can't have it both ways. Thin skin and a sharp tongue should never be part of the same body.

By the way, I wasn't going to respond to your post, but once I prayed about it, God told me to. :D

I hear ya. I guess everyone's got different levels of offensi-sensitivity. (Is that a word?) Humor is in the eye of the beholder. In the immortal words of David St. Hubbins, "There's such a fine line between stupid and clever..."

By the way... God just whispered in my ear, and he told me to tell you "Bite me, Zippy." :lol:

• My Little Pony

Why is everyone in such a bitchy mood lately?

Jesus says, "Don't be a dick." Now, if you read through the Bible, which you probably won't, you went ever see those exact words. But, if you paraphrase everything he said, it pretty much comes down to, "Don't be a dick."

Plus, I saw it on a shirt, so it must be true, right?

Jesus says, "Don't be a dick." Now, if you read through the Bible, which you probably won't, you went ever see those exact words. But, if you paraphrase everything he said, it pretty much comes down to, "Don't be a dick."

Back in those days, didn't dick=detective? Just sayin' ;)

• My Little Pony

Yeah, but it's a modern paraphrase. And a modern shirt. Just correctin' ;)

Yeah, but it's a modern paraphrase. And a modern shirt. Just correctin' ;)

I saw a COF T-shirt with 'Jesus is a C**t' written on it and on another one it said 'Jesus Saves' , so which one is correct? ;)

• 1 month later...
From BC's MySpace... the new singer is ... Dean Kohn! (All together now: Who?)

http://blogs.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseact...logId=514594737

Introducing Dean Kohn (bio)

Dean Kohn had his first musical beginnings at a very early age. From playing the trumpet in grade school to Rock-n-Roll in high school, he loved to listen to bands like Cheap Trick and AC/DC.

In 1985, at the age of 20 years old, Dean began singing and excelled quickly to the point where in 1986 he decided to take up singing full-time. Over the next two years he took vocal lessons from Hollywood vocal coach Elizabeth Sabine, who has trained such vocalists as Michael Sweet of Stryper, Don Barnes of 38 Special and Dave Mustaine of Megadeth.

In 1988, Dean was singing lead vocals for the band ATTAKK, when friend and band mate, Hideo Inakuma, introduced him to the Japanese band Loudness. Upon recording and pre-releasing a demo in Japan for the band ATTAKK, the members of Loudness inquired if Dean would be willing to sing on their upcoming CD, Soldiers of Fortune. Munetaki Higuchi, the drummer for Loudness, and Hideo Inakuma contacted Dean and they all agreed to meet and set recording dates. Although Dean began cutting tracks, Executive Producer, Max Norman, determined it would be better to replace Dean with Mike Vescara, whose vocals resembled more the prior singer’s. Disappointed but not discouraged, Dean kept pursuing his career.

In 1989, Dean met with guitarist Mick Zane and bassist Mark Behn, from the band Malice. Dean was invited to join the band as lead vocalist. However, due to Dean’s battle with drugs and alcohol he felt he had to leave the band.

But God kept pursuing Dean and in 1992, he felt that he needed to surrender his whole life to Christ and he entered rehab at Victory Outreach Men’s Home (VOMH). Here Dean was able to get clean and develop and mature in Christ. Upon graduation, from VOMH, Dean laid his musical dream down and began working with the VOMH faculty, helping others discover a personal relationship with Jesus Christ. Dean has been serving and helping to build this ministry for over 17 years now.

Dean’s desire to sing has never waned through the years, but as a fully committed Christian he realized that he needed to personally wait on God and His timing. Dean believes this is now the time. He contacted Barren Cross after noticing that they did not have a lead singer listed on the band’s MySpace. Dean initially contacted Ray Parris via email. He then had subsequent phone conversations with both Ray Parris and Steve Whitaker. Finally, Jim LaVerde, Steve, Ray and Dean met and, after much prayer, Dean was asked to become the new lead vocalist for Barren Cross.

...ooookay, so... anybody heard of this guy? Me neither. Pretty cool story about his near-miss with Loudness though. BC just posted on their Facebook page that they will be "coming out with new music" soon. These guys appear to move at the same pace as a glacier, though, so I don't think I'll be holding my breath while I wait... :lol:

Man, I have heard of this guy! When I saw his name, I was like, wasn't he the guy who claimed online he was the original vocalist for Attakk?? And reading it now, seems it was him! Don't know what he sounds like though, but I am a fan of Attakk. If he sounds anything like the Attakk vocalist, then I'm really looking forward to this new Barren Cross! I think he also said somewhere that he was a live vocalist for Malice for a bit.

• 5 weeks later...
Although Dean began cutting tracks, Executive Producer, Max Norman, determined it would be better to replace Dean with Mike Vescara, whose vocals resembled more the prior singer’s.
LOL, yeah right.