TREAT - COUP DE GRACE

rockdoc

Ok, this album has some REALLY good songs.

Example: I'm Not Running (hi-res complete song)

Starts off with a bit of a modern vibe, but then takes off bigtime!

-Dan

Dan,

They must be taking the piss with this track surely??

This is either a blatant rip off or a cover number -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idUp9_h3PYw

Mind you I dont know who originally wrote the track. If Treat didnt they could be in trouble..........esp changing the name of the song :unsure:

By the way the Stanfour debut album is excellent if anyone's is interested.

Cheers

Well STANFOUR wrote hardly any of the songs on that debut album of theirs, so expect this song wasn't theirs to begin with. Either way this is the worst-sounding song on the TREAT disc so I'd be happy to just skip-over this one as it's fucking awful IMO (both versions). Proper boy-band stuff. Wouldn't be surprised if WESTLIFE of BACKSTREET BOYS are next to record this tune...

FIREFOX INSTALLED!

Firstly, Glen you're an absolute creep for preferring the Stanfour version to the Treat one. Though admittedly, the chorus was maybe a little stronger on the Stanfour version. Maybe. Don't quote me. Either way, I prefer the Treat version. :lol:

Exactly my point. The Stanfour chorus sounds more harmonic and alive to me.

HOWEVER, the point is, why are a band as awesome as Treat lowering themselves with a bloody Stanfour song. Dont get me wrong, I like the Stanfour debut....a nice little modern album with a few good songs. But FFS....this is Treat....the album we've waited a lifetime for.

Song is out of place and what's more sounds worse than the original.

Should have been left off IMO.

Anyway roll on 19/03 FFS.

Cheers

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Glen! :)

I said that 'cause I had the opportunity to listen to it in advance as press, in Italy I run one of the leading website for rock/metal music... and I was really happy for a great return like this ;)

After some listens I can say that it's simply amazing!

Fair enough, but its the middle of February.....how the hell can you make a statement like that when there are still a bunch of awesome cds due this year??

Just to name a few.....Crazy Lixx, HEAT, Journey, Farcry, Work Of Art, White Sister, FM, Crashdiet, Shining Line......the list is endless.

Maybe in October or something say that when most of these have hit, but not in Feb!

Cheers

Fair enough, but its the middle of February.....how the hell can you make a statement like that when there are still a bunch of awesome cds due this year??

Just to name a few.....Crazy Lixx, HEAT, Journey, Farcry, Work Of Art, White Sister, FM, Crashdiet, Shining Line......the list is endless.

Maybe in October or something say that when most of these have hit, but not in Feb!

Cheers

By the way Glen... I'm honored (and a little embarrassed :bowdown: ) you mentioned my project Shining Line as one of the best possible releases of the year... thank you from the bottom of my heart for your trust in my music!!!!

Rock on! :)

Cheers

By the way Glen... I'm honored (and a little embarrassed :bowdown: ) you mentioned my project Shining Line as one of the best possible releases of the year... thank you from the bottom of my heart for your trust in my music!!!!

Rock on! :)

Ha, no worries mate.

Now ive heard the second You Tube clips of your project, I might just trust you on this Treat release too LOL!

Cheers

I love this sample Paper tiger,the war is over,skyes of mongolia, and ready top roar

are so amazing.

This gonna be the album of the year, I'm not running is a good song (not as good as the others maybe, but who care?).

Can't wait to buy my copy.

They will be in Bologna Italy in may the 2th toghether with Poodles and Heat(one hour from my town) , I'm already excited about that

:guitbannana::D

• 3 weeks later...

Surprised that no one has passed any further comments on this yet...Im sure that most have at least had a listen before the actual thing arrives in a week or so.

I'll start with the negatives, which to be honest are minor gripes.......

- The cover...I think its shite. Nuff said already on this. Hope that the cd booklet offers lyrics etc which will lift it a bit.

- The intro...Im not a massive fan of intros, but if there is one I would prefer it to be short (ie less than 30secs) and have a massive impact before the first track kicks in. Whilst nice to hear (once) this is far too long and doesnt really build to the first track so it is a bit pointless which is a shame.

- 2 or 3 of the songs begin in a very similar style of riff (namely 'Paper Tiger', 'Im Not Runnin' and 'Skies Of Mongolia')..which is quite noticeable as you listen through....not taking anything away from the songs here tho.

- Im Not Runnin...or 'Its Not Over' or whatever you want to call it. Still a mistake to record this and include on the album IMO. This version is growing on me tho and its got a decent solo, but I still cant get used to them singing 'Im Not Runnin'...maybe others wont mind too much who dont know the original.

- The big ballad - mmm, a bit too sugary for me. Good, but didnt blow me away as I had hoped.

OK, now to the Postives...

Well, pretty much everything else!

One thing you can say about this album is that it is consistently excellent throughout with at least 6 or 7 killer tracks which is very unusual these days. There are a couple of dips in quality...the hook on 'All In' could have been better after the brilliant opener and as previously said the ballad is a bit too sugary, but in general the songs are excellent. One anthem after another.

The sound is massive. Big bold 80's style, but with a modern vibe which works excellently throughout.

I guess my fav tracks so far are 'Paper Tiger' with its excellent chorus, 'We Own The Night' with its ultra smooth style and 'No Way Without You' which is much faster paced with brilliant solos including an over the top outro. Very nice.

I know I havent been the biggest Treat fan over the years, but I do like all their back catalogue...but IMO this album absolutely slaughters anything theyve previously released and is a quantum leap forward in terms of quality....vocals, guitar solos, hooks....everything.

I would be hugely surprised if anything surpasses this in 2010 even with Crazy Lixx, HEAT, Journey, Work Of Art etc all still due.

A mighty fine effort.

No doubt there will be a few reviews knocking about claiming it to be 100%....well like WET last year, it aint 100%, but it probably is 90-95%.

Cheers

Surprised that no one has passed any further comments on this yet...Im sure that most have at least had a listen before the actual thing arrives in a week or so.

Nope. It stares at me daily saying "download and listen to me" but just like when I pre-ordered Danger Danger, I refuse to budge! I'm going to wait for the actual CD for this one. :) Now hurry the f*ck up and arrive in my letterbox...

Just listened to it for the first couple times and unlike Glen, I don't think this is their best album ('Dreamhunter' kills this and song for song, 'Organised Crime' is right on it's shoes aswell). I also think that the best songs on the Reckless Love disc (ie 5-8) are better than the strongest songs on here, although the Treat is more consistent throughout, but that is down to personal preference. It is very good though, i'll give it that, so probably somewhere around an 86-88% from me.

This doesn't come out until April 6th here(along with the Crazy Lixx) and I was going to wait so I can buy it on Amazon instead of buying the import.

It's released on the 22nd March over here, as is Reckless Love and Crazy Lixx and I was going to wait until they were actually released before I listened, but a mate of mine slipped a couple of cd-r's into my greasy mitts the other day and I couldn't say no - resist, resist I said, but what the hell ;) The new FM is out at the same time, so an abundance of goodly tunes will be arriving through my letterbox that week.

This doesn't come out until April 6th here(along with the Crazy Lixx) and I was going to wait so I can buy it on Amazon instead of buying the import.

Yeah, I have to wait until 6th of April too, and that's the date of despatch, so maybe even a few days after that. But I'll do it.

Yeah, I have to wait until 6th of April too, and that's the date of despatch, so maybe even a few days after that. But I'll do it.

Why so long if it comes out the 19th?

Why so long if it comes out the 19th?

6th of April is the Aussie release date too.

Just listened to it for the first couple times and unlike Glen, I don't think this is their best album ('Dreamhunter' kills this and song for song, 'Organised Crime' is right on it's shoes aswell). I also think that the best songs on the Reckless Love disc (ie 5-8) are better than the strongest songs on here, although the Treat is more consistent throughout, but that is down to personal preference. It is very good though, i'll give it that, so probably somewhere around an 86-88% from me.

Dreamhunter?? lol. Mate i'll have to listen to that on the way home but from memory this slaughters Dreamhunter in every department. The only track on Dreamhunter I would say could sit comfortably on the new album is 'World Of Promises'.

I wouldnt rate Dreamhunter as high as Organised Crime, and for me the newie is better than Organised Crime as well.

The last 4 tracks on Coup De Grace in particular are just stunning IMO.

Tastes differ though of course, its just that I like the new stuff better.

I also think that the best songs on the Reckless Love disc (ie 5-8) are better than the strongest songs on here

ha, i just re-read that too. Surely you jest??

I also think that the best songs on the Reckless Love disc (ie 5-8) are better than the strongest songs on here

No, I certainly don't mate. Tracks 5-8 are way way better.. ;)

Dreamhunter?? lol. Mate i'll have to listen to that on the way home but from memory this slaughters Dreamhunter in every department. The only track on Dreamhunter I would say could sit comfortably on the new album is 'World Of Promises'.

I wouldnt rate Dreamhunter as high as Organised Crime, and for me the newie is better than Organised Crime as well.

You forgot 'Best Of Me', 'Take Me On Your Wings', 'One Way To Glory' & Sole Survivor' for starters, all better songs than anything on 'Coup..' imo

Don't get me wrong, the new Treat is strong and consistent, but I ain't buying into the hype (yet again) that some bands seem to get in the MR/AOR world proclaiming near perfection, when it clearly isn't. It is a very good album yes, a classic and album of the year, certainly not. Oh and the bass sound is shite on it aswell. ;)

No, I certainly don't mate. Tracks 5-8 are way way better.. ;)

tracks 6 & 7 are just about on a par with the whole Treat album i'll give you that.

You forgot 'Best Of Me', 'Take Me On Your Wings', 'One Way To Glory' & Sole Survivor' for starters, all better songs than anything on 'Coup..' imo

Err, no I havent forgetten them...its just that I think 'World Of Promises' is by far the best track on that album

But as I said I will re-listen to that album on the way home tonight and re-confirm my thoughts.

Cheers

Err, no I havent forgetten them...its just that I think 'World Of Promises' is by far the best track on that album

But as I said I will re-listen to that album on the way home tonight and re-confirm my thoughts.

Cheers

Well as good as this album is (and have only played it twice since getting it yesterday) it simply can't touch "Dreamhunter". In fact, not many AOR albums ever have come that close to topping that killer album. That album, and "Organised Crime" will always be the best Treat discs IMHO as they're highly unlikely to top such discs, but "Coup De Grace" is still a stunning disc and easily as good as anything we could've expected from them in 2010. Best album of the year so far IMO...