TREAT - COUP DE GRACE

rockdoc

This is either a blatant rip off or a cover number -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idUp9_h3PYw

Mind you I dont know who originally wrote the track. If Treat didnt they could be in trouble..........esp changing the name of the song :unsure:

After watching the video, I think the Treat version is crunchier.

If Treat (or one of its members) didn't originally compose the song, then I would assume it's just a cover.

Heck, if Jaded Heart can cover The Backstreet Boys and Children of Bodom can cover Britney Spears, then anything is possible. :lol:

If its a cover why would they change the title of the track......right dodgy if you ask me.

& for the record I prefer the Stanfour version ;-)

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Samples posted of all tracks!

http://www.heavyharmonies.com/cgi-bin/glam...e=Coup+de+Grace

-Dan

Awesome. Definitely gonna be one of the year's best.

Mind you I dont know who originally wrote the track. If Treat didnt they could be in trouble..........esp changing the name of the song :unsure:

After watching the video, I think the Treat version is crunchier.

If Treat (or one of its members) didn't originally compose the song, then I would assume it's just a cover.

Heck, if Jaded Heart can cover The Backstreet Boys and Children of Bodom can cover Britney Spears, then anything is possible. :lol:

If its a cover why would they change the title of the track......right dodgy if you ask me.

& for the record I prefer the Stanfour version ;-)

wtf lol ;)

Ok, this album has some REALLY good songs.

Example: I'm Not Running (hi-res complete song)

Starts off with a bit of a modern vibe, but then takes off bigtime!

-Dan

Dan,

They must be taking the piss with this track surely??

By the way the Stanfour debut album is excellent if anyone's is interested.

Cheers

Hmm...Anders Wikström has been writing songs for quite a few Pop-artists in the last few years (together with Fredrik Thomander), so it probably is written by him! At least that's what I hope...

-Dan

Dan,

Cheers

Well STANFOUR wrote hardly any of the songs on that debut album of theirs, so expect this song wasn't theirs to begin with. Either way this is the worst-sounding song on the TREAT disc so I'd be happy to just skip-over this one as it's fucking awful IMO (both versions). Proper boy-band stuff. Wouldn't be surprised if WESTLIFE of BACKSTREET BOYS are next to record this tune...

There really are some seriously killer songs on this thing:- "All For Love" (one of their best ever songs IMO) & "Skies of Mongolia" sound among the best, with "No Way Without You" (stunning chorus) and "The War Is Over" not far behind. Some tunes don't really grab me, like "All In" and closer "Breathless", but with 14 tracks then that's not surprising....

Either way this is the worst-sounding song on the TREAT disc so I'd be happy to just skip-over this one as it's fucking awful IMO (both versions).

Well, you're entitled to your opinion... no matter how wrong it may be. :whistle::lol:

Seriously though, while it is not the strongest track on the CD, it is by no means "awful" by any stretch of the imagination.

-Dan

Either way this is the worst-sounding song on the TREAT disc so I'd be happy to just skip-over this one as it's fucking awful IMO (both versions).

Well, you're entitled to your opinion... no matter how wrong it may be. :whistle::lol:

Seriously though, while it is not the strongest track on the CD, it is by no means "awful" by any stretch of the imagination.

-Dan

Not if it had been sung by the BACKSTREET BOYS or maybe one of those Idol Winners/Losers (Bo Bice or Adam Lambert maybe), but when you're talking about one of the top names in Melodic Rock then surely they can do better than a standard/mediocre journeyman-type song.... That pop-song sounds really out-of-place alongside killer Melodic Rock tunes like "All For Love" IMO.

-Dan

Not if it had been sung by the BACKSTREET BOYS or maybe one of those Idol Winners/Losers (Bo Bice or Adam Lambert maybe), but when you're talking about one of the top names in Melodic Rock then surely they can do better than a standard/mediocre journeyman-type song.... That pop-song sounds really out-of-place alongside killer Melodic Rock tunes like "All For Love" IMO.

I guess I just don't get that. Personally, I loved Jaded heart's cover of Backstreet Boys' "Larger Than Life" as well as some of the other pop covers that hard rock and metal bands have done.

*shrug*

-Dan

I guess I just don't get that. Personally, I loved Jaded heart's cover of Backstreet Boys' "Larger Than Life" as well as some of the other pop covers that hard rock and metal bands have done.

*shrug*

Yeah that's true, but this is TREAT. Probably my all-time fave Melodic Rock band with an almost flawless back-catalogue. I don't want them doing covers or journeyman songs as they don't need to. Let bands like STANFOUR take tunes like this...

Yeah that's true, but this is TREAT. Probably my all-time fave Melodic Rock band with an almost flawless back-catalogue. I don't want them doing covers or journeyman songs as they don't need to. Let bands like STANFOUR take tunes like this...

*chuckle*

So the band does a cover and it ruins their catalog for you?

Seriously?

Who says they HAVE to do it? Maybe they just wanted to do it because they liked the song. Maybe it was originally written by one of the members (we still don't know) and they wanted to put their spin on it.

You "don't want them doing covers." Yikes.

For the record, the reason I'm not flinging jism of joy all over this thread is because, for some reason, I can't ever open those samples from my home computer, Dan. When I open them at work they open up right away and play in Windows Media Player. You got any tips why they don't play on my home computer and what I can do to fix it? :(

I get this message:

Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage

What you can try:

Diagnose Connection Problems

-Dan

*shrug*

Their cover of Paid my dues is probably one of my fave Jaded Heart tunes, and I dont even like the original version.

*chuckle*

Seriously?

Who says they HAVE to do it? Maybe they just wanted to do it because they liked the song. Maybe it was originally written by one of the members (we still don't know) and they wanted to put their spin on it.

Well I don't mind covers if they fit in with the rest of the disc and are something a bit different. The last time TREAT did a cover was "Hush" which was on the end of the re-issued "Dreamhunter", and it was terrible and the album was far better without it. Btw: this song was written by Savan Kotecha who's a professional songwriter (often writes with Max Martin/Andreas Carlsson). I noticed another song on the Stanfour disc was recorded by David Archuleta ("Desperate") recently, and there are others that have been used by several artists.

Don't mind bands re-doing songs if they like them or using these formulaic songwriters (Martin/Carlsson co-wrote the best songs on the last EUROPE album), I just think TREAT write better songs themselves & would've preferred another song in the vein of "Mongolian Skies" or "All For Love" rather than this tune...

-Dan

*shrug*

Their cover of Paid my dues is probably one of my fave Jaded Heart tunes, and I dont even like the original version.

Backed! Awful original version, but Jaded Heart's version is a MONSTER track. As I said in a couple of other threads recently, I prefer rock covers of non-rock songs generally, as they end up sounding awesome, and so different to the original that it's like a new song anyway.

*chuckle*

Seriously?

Well I don't mind covers if they fit in with the rest of the disc and are something a bit different. The last time TREAT did a cover was "Hush" which was on the end of the re-issued "Dreamhunter", and it was terrible and the album was far better without it. Btw: this song was written by Savan Kotecha who's a professional songwriter (often writes with Max Martin/Andreas Carlsson). I noticed another song on the Stanfour disc was recorded by David Archuleta ("Desperate") recently, and there are others that have been used by several artists.

Don't mind bands re-doing songs if they like them or using these formulaic songwriters (Martin/Carlsson co-wrote the best songs on the last EUROPE album), I just think TREAT write better songs themselves & would've preferred another song in the vein of "Mongolian Skies" or "All For Love" rather than this tune...

Tim, just out of curiosity, have you heard the full disc....or are you going on samples?

I almost fell about laughing when I listened to 'Mongolian Skies'....just sounded ridiculous. Good chorus but ludicrous lyrics.

Im sure that this will turn out to be a very good melodic rock album......its just I have the feeling that the new Crazy Lixx album is going to murder it in every department.

We'll see................

Im sure that this will turn out to be a very good melodic rock album......its just I have the feeling that the new Crazy Lixx album is going to murder it in every department.

We'll see................

Speaking of which, I've posted sound samples of all songs from the Crazy Lixx CD on the main site.

http://www.heavyharmonies.com/cgi-bin/glam...on&Letter=A

-Dan

*chuckle*

Seriously?

Tim, just out of curiosity, have you heard the full disc....or are you going on samples?

I almost fell about laughing when I listened to 'Mongolian Skies'....just sounded ridiculous. Good chorus but ludicrous lyrics.

Not as ridiculous as some of the lyrics I heard from last year. :whistle: I thought it sounded like a monster tune, and still think this will be the top AOR/MHR disc this year. I've only heard the soundbytes that Dan posted but you can hear every chorus so you get a good idea of the song quality. I'm still pysched by this one....

• 2 weeks later...

Seems like I've waited forever for this damn thing. I'm way too impatient for all this sitting around waiting for CD's....

-Dan

Dan,

Cheers

Well STANFOUR wrote hardly any of the songs on that debut album of theirs, so expect this song wasn't theirs to begin with. Either way this is the worst-sounding song on the TREAT disc so I'd be happy to just skip-over this one as it's fucking awful IMO (both versions). Proper boy-band stuff. Wouldn't be surprised if WESTLIFE of BACKSTREET BOYS are next to record this tune...

FIREFOX INSTALLED!

Firstly, Glen you're an absolute creep for preferring the Stanfour version to the Treat one. Though admittedly, the chorus was maybe a little stronger on the Stanfour version. Maybe. Don't quote me. Either way, I prefer the Treat version. :lol:

Secondly, Tim's right here. I don't think either version is good. :lol: Just not a good song, imo. I certainly wouldn't skip it on the CD as the chorus is still pretty cool, but f*ck that intro is so f*cking annoying. :lol: Great brief solo, though. Man I love Wikstrom's playing.