TREAT - COUP DE GRACE

rockdoc

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Never heard of Maverick...will investigate it.

Reporting back on this album and I just got it a little over a week ago...Yeah...I know I'm a little late on this one....Just never got around to it. It was only the new album coming out that made me think I finally needed to check it out.

Well...after a few spins through the album, I'm kinda lukewarm on it. There are a handful of songs I really like quite a bit and I'd classify as pretty darn awesome (Paper Tiger, Roar, Tangled Up, Heaven Can Wait, We Own the Night). However, there is also quite a bit that feels kinda generic and isn't doing much for me. I pretty much find myself just wanting to skip through listening to the songs I mentioned.

One thing though is that I'm sure if I had listened to this back in 2010 I'd be thinking much more of it and it probably wouldn't have sounded as generic in spots to me as it does now. I mean, there has just been a lot of good stuff that's come out since then that kinda overshadows it for me now.

It's definitely a quality album though and was worth checking out. I don't know what kind of number I'd throw on it....Probably an 80 or something. I'm not even sure it's fair to put a rating on it 6 years after the fact though. Heck, back in 2010 it could've been a 95 compared to what was out back then.

I'm pausing a bit on the new Ghost of Graceland album though as I've seen a couple comments saying it's more toward the lighter side of AOR than CDG. I'll need to give it a listen somewhere to decide on it.

I agree mate, its a good album but I'll never understand the amount of praise it always seems to get, as you say a few great songs, i'd probably throw skies of Mongolia into your list personally

Btw have you ever listened to Maverick's quid quo pro album, judging from your general comments, i'd reckon its one you might like if you haven't checked it out already that is

Thats because it is better than the rest of the album lol.

See, this is how I know you're crazy. You need to quit doing drugs.

I agree with a few comments here, including this one... Glen's, that is. I think I thought that track was one of the best from those sessions too - killer tune. But I also recall wondering if you guys were over-rating 'Coup De Grace' a bit too. Great album, and I am a gigantic fan of this band, but I'll be interested to see - when I rate their discography in a few weeks - how this stacks up against 'Dreamhunter' and 'Organized Crime.' I honestly don't know how it'll go, but in my mind it's 3rd behind those two. Will see how I go, though.

Do you have the Japanese version, buddy?

No!

Ive only ever heard it on YT.

I agree with Geoff - CDG is not better than OC. Its close. Mid 80s to higher 80s.

See, this is how I know you're crazy. You need to quit doing drugs.

Turn the Dial is a great song and fits very well with the rest of the album, BUT is not the best song on it imo.

• My Little Pony

I never thought I would love the line, "finders keepers, losers weepers," in a song so much. Any and all doubts about this album have been erased.

This was the album that confirmed to me what a freak I am round these parts. Read the (glowing) reviews, bought the CD, played it, played it again, played it a few more times and sold it. With haste.

• My Little Pony

This was the album that confirmed to me what a freak I am round these parts. Read the (glowing) reviews, bought the CD, played it, played it again, played it a few more times and sold it. With haste.

You are an odd one, true. But that just makes you one of many around here.

• 4 months later...

I don't care how good the songs on this are, I can't listen to this. It's *so* loud. Utterly compressed to the point that when all the instruments are playing, it sounds almost like white noise.

I know most albums these days are brickwalled but this one is probably one of the worst examples. It's just so tiring on the ears.

I don't care how good the songs on this are, I can't listen to this. It's *so* loud. Utterly compressed to the point that when all the instruments are playing, it sounds almost like white noise.

I know most albums these days are brickwalled but this one is probably one of the worst examples. It's just so tiring on the ears.

So glad I'm not the only one who feels this way. The iPod generation doesn't understand and or 100% doesn't care, Lemonhead. "Louder the better" they say. Umm, isn't that what a VOLUME knob is for?

Anyway, despite me not being able to turn this one past (2) on my vintage Kenwood home stereo system, I absolutely LOVE the content. This album is superb!