Metal Lady?

Fat Freddy

folder.jpg

Not bad, huh? Now THAT'S what I call an album cover!! :crazy:

Someone sent me a link to this video and asked me if I knew anything about the band... I didn't, but I like what I hear (even though I can't understand a word that's being sung)... apparently they were Hungarian... anyone familiar with'em? Pretty cool sounding stuff...sorta like a Hungarian Doro, I'd say...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dlvLg7_JD4

A live version of the same song posted above... "Metal Lady" looks kinda like the singer from Vixen!!

39497_photo.jpg

:woot: The more pix I find of this chick the more I go "That's the kinda sugar Papa likes!"

39497_photo.jpg

:woot: The more pix I find of this chick the more I go "That's the kinda sugar Papa likes!"

I've never heard of them but I'm sure someone that knows their rare hard rock and metal around here will know who they are/were. :drink:

No songs in English huh? That's to bad.

I've never heard of them but I'm sure someone that knows their rare hard rock and metal around here will know who they are/were. :drink:

Web info on'em seems to be pretty scant ...all I've been able to gather is that they released two albums (1990 and 1994), and both were all Hungarian, all the time... ehh, don't bother me none, hell I love those first three Loudness albums but I don't speak a word of Japanese. :lol:

Web info on'em seems to be pretty scant ...all I've been able to gather is that they released two albums (1990 and 1994), and both were all Hungarian, all the time... ehh, don't bother me none, hell I love those first three Loudness albums but I don't speak a word of Japanese. :lol:

It's all about the singer for me so if I can't understand them I can't listen at all.

It's all about the singer for me so if I can't understand them I can't listen at all.

Me too, but she's hot, so it's OK that I can't understand her. :lol:

True, and wasn't that movie set in Hungary? :yikes:

Anyway, found some scoop on this mysterious band at a metal site called "The Corroseum"

It's female fronted! It's Hungarian! It's orange and full of cats! It's...

METAL LADY! Yes, this is possibly the rarest Hungarian Metal LP ever and quite a beauty to behold. The 4 felines airbrushed ontop of a photograph of the electrified Ms. Metal herself (I presume?) on the front and a totally radiant castle-pic on the back will surely get most collector's undies in a bundle. Any other reasons why we should sell our souls and grandparent's life insurances for this piece of plastic & paper? Well, "Legendak Es Mesek" for starters. 5 minutes of excellent Euro-metal very much in the same style as their colleges OSSIAN and POKOLGEP. Incidentally it's no coincident that the sound of 'The Deathmachines' is so prevalent, since METAL LADY, The Band, is mostly made up of POKOLGEP-members. Like the other classic Hungarian bands the songwriting varies in quality, some brilliant, some very average stuff. "Kicsi Katonam" has such a mellow and uppity chorus I had a hard time stomaching it at first listening, but in the end it's insipid catchiness got the better of me. Another highlight is "Kegyetlen Hajsza", the mandatory Power Metal-warmachine. These songs combined with the stunning artwork almost makes the album a must-buy, however, the blandness of the remaining material drags it down to just above curiosity-level. You've got your 2 ballads, your ACCEPT-leftovers and JUDAS PRIEST-fillers, but nothing that leaves this much wanted lasting impression. Nothing original here in other words, although Biro Ilona's vocals are quite unusual. There's noone I can really compare her with (a Dagmar Krause-comparison might fall on deaf ears..) It's rather dark, disciplined, almost masculine, yet still melodic and more than a little enjoyable. Hm... yeah, brilliant or just average, I think I still regret trading away this baby way back then:(

METAL LADY would record at least one more album in the years to come, these only available on CD ("s/t" was vinyl only) and are said to be very rare as well. Stay vigilant! (oh, and Heavy ofcourse...)

I'm surprised SHARATAN (George) don't have this one..

You kiddin'? He probably has twelve copies of the original vinyl (eight still sealed!) but doesn't want to tell us about it because we're not troo enough.

I'm surprised SHARATAN (George) don't have this one..

You kiddin'? He probably has twelve copies of the original vinyl (eight still sealed!) but doesn't want to tell us about it because we're not troo enough.

Honestly I expected for George to chime in here and give us his thoughts about this one. :banger:

Honestly I expected for George to chime in here and give us his thoughts about this one. :banger:

Me too, actually. I figured he woulda been the first reply. :blink:

I found what appears to be a more recent photo of Ilona "Metal Lady" Biro... she's holding up rather well I'd say. Kinda got that "Stifler's Mom" thing going on now. :crazy:

gp_03.jpg

But seriously folks, I downloaded the first "Metal Lady" album from a blogspot site the other night (I figured there was no harm in it since this LP is out of print and seriously rare) and gave it a few listens... must've been a vinyl or tape rip cuz there was hissing and crackling noises at the beginning and end of every song. :lol: The track I posted at the top of this thread is definitely the best song on the record. The rest isn't bad, but Metal Lady's rather odd singing voice became grating after a while... by the middle of the album I was having nightmare visions of Alvin the Chipmunk singing Accept's greatest hits in Hungarian :rofl:

So in other words, an interesting footnote to metal history/curiosity item but certainly not a must-have by any means. Unless you're a Hungarian troo metal completist.