What is the rarest album you own?

Motley Mike

Rock Boulevard...it more than lives up to the hype. As far as I'm concerned it's the best indie out there.

Awesome production job for an indie, and by god 'Mama' is one of the finest ballads of that era.

I'm sorry I respectfully disagree ELI is better! Its the best indie out there!

Don't think too many people would agree with you. I've heard Eli & it's good, but not this good. Just my opinion, of course. Maybe we should start a poll.

I gotta agree with matt here, Rock Boulevard by a mile is the better indie, as far as rarity goes, it's a toss up, seems like every so often one shows up of each, goes for big bucks, I am amazed though as to how many unknown indies there are even rarer than rock boulevard and eli, and alot of them rival them in quality, alot don't, but if you are just looking for rarity there are tons as rare or even rarer...I started typing a list yesterday of stuff in my collection that I would put there with rock boulevard in rarity, (not quality of music), just simply the hardest to find indies, and I found myself listing dozens of cd's, there really are lots of stuff indies that are unheard of, until someone lists it on ebay, then everyone wants one...maybe sometime when time permits I will make a list of stuff that are truely amazingly rare, believe me, it takes a while just to list them...every day I find something new that seems to be nowhere to be found, takes years just to find another....having said all that, I wouldn't part with rock boulevard, or the eli's, as a collector of rare indies they are priceless to me...

Guest HeavyMetalMerchant

Hostage - S/T from Australia, I have a couple in stock if anyone wants one, very few left and never turn up much these days.

• 1 year later...

I was listening to Storm Within - Unleashed this morning and since I didn't know anything about them did some searching on the internet. Turns out only 5000 copies of this disc were pressed so I would guess that would probably be one of my big rarities.

I've owned so many, but one that I particularly thought was truly a nice 'rare' collector's piece was: Akela - "Nasty Reputation".....not many own this, and a really cool tidbit is that they were one of the bands that competed on the show "Star Search" all those years ago. Here's one of their performances.... Akela on Star Search

I've owned so many, but one that I particularly thought was truly a nice 'rare' collector's piece was: Akela - "Nasty Reputation".....not many own this, and a really cool tidbit is that they were one of the bands that competed on the show "Star Search" all those years ago. Here's one of their performances.... Akela on Star Search

I believe they competed twice. Could be wrong but.... They had a different singer. Jay Hollander of Houston, TX band Fearless Leader.

Look up Jay Hollander on YouTube. He has Fearless Leader vids up from the Backstage Club.

• 4 months later...

I'm sorry I respectfully disagree ELI is better! Its the best indie out there!

Have to throw my weight behind ELI also,great cd,raw yet melodic...a BIG fav of my mine,but there are so many brilliant obscure releases out there :)

Don't know if this counts (It's a CDR). I found a demo of a local Jersey band called October NJ. I do believe it's pretty rare and it's not half bad.

I also have my Chris Chrash 3 song Demo. Since i'm friends with her, I think she said only 500 copies were made. I told her, if she finds anymore in her house, that she should sell them on Ebay. She thought I was crazy, until the last one on Ebay was selling for $75.00..

Found another 3 song c.d. from a band called Society's Children. Great band, but cannot put it in the HH Database, due to it being only 3 songs.

Another rare title I have is the Ken Baumgartner- Bomber e.p. from Metal Blade records.

a lot or formerly rare stuff has gotten reprinted in the past decade.

it sucks when you paid $80-$100 for a cd on ebay in 2001,, and then you look today and its like $12.95 new, AND they added bonus tracks

i have the first prints of Tigertailz - Banzai & Loudness- Jealousy, and the 1984 printing of Loudness-disillusion (yes an '84 cd,, my parents hosted a japanese exchange student in '86)

it's funny how the early cds boast 'stereo' (whooo-eee) and try to give these tutorials of how information is actually stored on the cd,

and how to interperate the track information that will be displaying on your cd player. now that is about as exciting as reading the recipies on the back of a cereal box

it sucks when you paid $80-$100 for a cd on ebay in 2001,, and then you look today and its like $12.95 new, AND they added bonus tracks

i have the first prints of Tigertailz - Banzai & Loudness- Jealousy, and the 1984 printing of Loudness-disillusion (yes an '84 cd,, my parents hosted a japanese exchange student in '86)

it's funny how the early cds boast 'stereo' (whooo-eee) and try to give these tutorials of how information is actually stored on the cd,

and how to interperate the track information that will be displaying on your cd player. now that is about as exciting as reading the recipies on the back of a cereal box

Yeah but you own the original release dude,that means a lot to me personally,even though the sound on most re-releases is better,you cant beat owning the original release...maybe its just me?

Yeah but you own the original release dude,that means a lot to me personally,even though the sound on most re-releases is better,you cant beat owning the original release...maybe its just me?

I too prefer first pressings. Although I usually don't go out of my way to aquire them. I just pick up whichever is cheapest at the moment. I have only sold a few first pressings when a reissue is release. Sometimes I want the extra bonus tracks that come with most of them.

Now back on the subject of rarest cd that I own. I'm not even going to attempt to pick one based quality. I could argue with myself all night long if I wanted to. If it was based on quantity I would have to pick Nightfall Ave S/T or Nightfall Ave II. I believe one of them had only 50 or so copies pressed (or so I was told when I got them).

• 4 months later...

Its funny reading back on this thread and now how so many of these aren't considered rare anymore. I can say without a doubt I own many ridiculous rare Japan pressings but my all time find was the Harem Scarem Demo cd pressed back in 1989. No comparison to me...

i only know of 1 other collector here that has my rarest , it was released in 1989

Mob Rules / Primal Urges.

• 10 months later...

John O' Banion - Satomi Hakken Den (Japan 1st press )

Cindy Cruse - The Edge

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

These are the rarest cds in my collection:

ROCK BOULEVARD-S/T

OSLO-S/T

FIESTA AMERICANA-S/T

DEZIRE-A ROCK BAND NAMED...

HIT THE GROUND RUNNIN'-SUDDEN IMPACT

GALLEYBOYZ-S/T

RAM-RELEASE THE BEAST

VERA CRUZ-HOT GAMES

AKELA-NASTY REPUTATION

KC ROSE-S/T

FRICTION-BABY TALK

TOKIO ROSE-S/T '87

D.C.LEGEND-RUNNIN FROM TIME

KLAATU-STRANGE

Reminds me of those right now, but there are hundreds over and above.

• 10 months later...
Guest theczar

The Cult - Rare Cult CD box set (with the bonus 7th "mixes" disc)

The Cult - Sanctuary MCMXCIII gold & silver CDs

Mark Free - Long Way To Love 2 disc Frontiers reissue

Killing Joke s/t (2003) Japanese CD w/two bonus tracks

Killing Joke - Wardance The Remixes

NIN - Head Like A Hole 10 track CD maxi-single

Just looking at this list - Mark Free does look a bit out of place! (killer album though)

• My Little Pony

Yeah, I suppose their's a difference between what's rare and what's in demand. So I'm not really sure where mine fall.

Hot Boy - Barely Legal

Intuition - Turn it On

Jillson - Deadly Girl

KK Wilde - Rock N Roll

Moriah - Mirror Man

I still think people confuse "rare" for "expensive."

The rarest albums I have are two from a Punk Rock band called Seed (S/T in '99, and Rockstar in '01). There were probably only a few hundred pressed of each, but I probably couldn't even give them away. Nobody knows who this band is.