Jacko vs Elvis

Jacko vs Elvis...who was the biggest?  

38 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I think my votes would have to go....

Better entertainer: Jacko

Better music: Elvis (both had heaps of big ones, but I think elvis gets the nod here)

Most Innovative: Elvis (both we the biggest innovators of their era but doing it back when elvis did it, he was really on the edge, whereas in the 70/80s it was almost expected)

I can't say I really know enough about either to vote here - I try to avoid both like hell, but for music alone I can definitely give the nod to Jackson. I hate everything I know from Elvis but there's a few genuinely good pop songs in Jackson's discography. Always move a little when I hear 'Billie Jean' for example.

Elvis for the Showman, Jacko for the music and Elvis again for the innovation and the time it happened. Musically, not a fan of either to be honest, but some of 'Thriller' and odd songs here and there (Earth Song, Black Or White, Give Into Me, Dirty Diana) are really good.

That's two peple who have mentioned 'Dirty Diana'. Like everyone on the planet I am familiar with his hits, but I have never heard this title before. Was it a hit or are you two secret die-hard b-side Michael Jackson collectors?

That's two peple who have mentioned 'Dirty Diana'. Like everyone on the planet I am familiar with his hits, but I have never heard this title before. Was it a hit or are you two secret die-hard b-side Michael Jackson collectors?

'Dirty Diana' was a number one hit single and one of his more Rock tracks off the 'BAD' album with Steve Stevens on Guitar.

You forgot to put a 4th question: Who's death was more of a shock?

id say MJ for the first two, Elvis for the last one....i prefer MJ to Elvis, but he wasnt innovative, that sound on the 80s stuff was mainly down to Quincy Jones' prodcution IMO..

There are loads of acts influenced by MJ's style.

The most famous which springs to mind is Justin Timberlake......totally copies his style.

I am getting pretty sick of MJ being all over the news now - and seeing random people who've never met him breaking down in tears. It's pretty ridiculous.

Do us a bit of research to back up this claim of yours. What other shitty pop acts claim Super Freak as an influence? Please make certain it's someone anyone has actually heard of. Remember, they have to directly claim him as the reason they became a musician; stating people you think have been influenced is merely opinion.

here you go mate -

Jeff Scott Soto reflects on the death of pop legend Michael Jackson:

"Every day the World mourns over the loss of a loved one, a relative, even a pet...but it's not every day the whole World mourns over a single person like they were a loved one or blood relative.

Thu, June 25, 2009, WE lost an icon, a legend, a superstar named Michael Jackson. I don't think there is a man, woman or child over 5 years old in the World who doesn't know the name Michael Jackson, THIS in itself is an achievement that is rarely attainable anymore but it shows this man was known for better or worse (in my book, always better, the negative side of his life was always something I always chose to ignore as the MUSIC blanketed this) by EVERY person in the 21st century, and he will be remembered through his music & his legend.

Of all my childhood memories, many of them included buying my 1st 45 Single (yes, that would be a small 8" vinyl platter called a 'record'!) of the Jackson 5ive's 'I Want You Back' to standing in front of a mirror at the ripe age of 5 with a spoon in my hand, pretending it was a microphone & singing at the top of my lungs to every word little Mike was belting out. When my brother Joey & I were about 7 & 8, we would draw crowds at the local Boys Club of NY as the song Rockin' Robin would be blast on a record player, Joey would pound on benches/tables as they were percussive instruments while I crooned along to the alto notes of Michael's version. They called us the 'Tweet Tweet Brothers', if you know the song, you'd understand why.

Last night, I was witnessing the birth of a new supergroup, an amazing incarnation called Chickenfoot (featuring the eternally youthful Sammy Hagar, the baddest bass pounder Michael Anthony, the untouchable Joe Satriani & the mischievous Chad Smith) performing in London, an energetic & amazing evening only to be flattened by the news of what was happening in Los Angeles simultaneously....a night to remember indeed!

Today & forever, I celebrate the music & the influence of Michael Jackson, long live the King Of Pop, long live 1 of my few mentors of the mic, RIP Michael!" - Jeff.

Thread cleaned up with some poor-taste comments and some personal attacks edited and removed.

Formal notice to Axelinger, Tim(2), and Glen: Settle down or receive a mandatory vacation.

Let's keep the MJ discussion to the musical aspects, as the legal issues are specious at best.

Have a nice day.

-Dan

I don't care for either Elvis or MJ either personally or musically.....but I will admit to them both being innovative and having huge influences on the music business and other musicians.....one died a fat drug addled buffoon and the other died as an unconvicted pedophile...not exactly exemplary human beings IMO......

I don't care for either Elvis or MJ either personally or musically.....but I will admit to them both being innovative and having huge influences on the music business and other musicians.....one died a fat drug addled buffoon and the other died as an unconvicted pedophile...not exactly exemplary human beings IMO......

Anyone who uses a celebrity as a role model has serious mental health issues.

And for f**k's sake stop with the continual news coverage, other far more inportant things are going in in the world.

Anyone who uses a celebrity as a role model has serious mental health issues.

Can I get a huge FUCK YEAH! Nicely said.

I agree with you and Tim (2), though, and probably everyone else "proper" in the world. He's died, yes it was sad. But it's time for the c*nt media to f*ck off and move on.

It is sad and has been said in jest, but I do feel kind of bad for Farrah Fawcett that her death and any dedications to her life have been completely shoved aside because of the circus that is the aftermath of MJ's death.

As i have said elsewhere, Jacko's passing doesn't really alter my life at all to be honest, but it really got me riled too see his father on TV bigging up a new business venture/Record label not 5 days after his sons death and saying their will be future releases etc. At best, not very well timed, at worst, completely disrespectful to his son - something he allegedly has made a lifetime out of doing and partly the reason why MJ was so fucked in the head in the first place. Mr. Joe Jackson - take a bow you insensitive prick!

As i have said elsewhere, Jacko's passing doesn't really alter my life at all to be honest, but it really got me riled too see his father on TV bigging up a new business venture/Record label not 5 days after his sons death and saying their will be future releases etc. At best, not very well timed, at worst, completely disrespectful to his son - something he allegedly has made a lifetime out of doing and partly the reason why MJ was so fucked in the head in the first place. Mr. Joe Jackson - take a bow you insensitive prick!

Oh indeed I saw that tonight too and I had a very similar thought pattern. What a true prick of a man.

Oh indeed I saw that tonight too and I had a very similar thought pattern. What a true prick of a man.

Did you hear what he said about him beating MJ ? He said he never battered him. He always used a belt, which is not the same as using a cane. :o

What an arsehole ! :sm164:

I'm a little late to this poll... But I voted Elvis across the board.

Jackson's solo career was not more then hype... Just so happened the Thriller was released in the heyday of MTV. I would guess that without MTV Jackson would have sold only a fraction of what he did.

Elvis didn't need MTV... in fact when he was on TV the 2nd time around they only shot him above the waist. Elvis was the real deal... Jackson was a product of the MTV age.

• 3 years later...

I'm a little late to this poll... But I voted Elvis across the board.

Jackson's solo career was not more then hype... Just so happened the Thriller was released in the heyday of MTV. I would guess that without MTV Jackson would have sold only a fraction of what he did.

Elvis didn't need MTV... in fact when he was on TV the 2nd time around they only shot him above the waist. Elvis was the real deal... Jackson was a product of the MTV age.

Agree 100%

• My Little Pony

Apparently I voted, but I don't recall which one. Probably MJ, as he's one of my all-time favourites. I'm not a huge Elvis fan, despite constantly being mistaken for him.