Best parody bands and albums?

This will end being a poll but was wondering what was everyone's favourite parody band and album - will leave the parody definition open to discussion.

Obvious ones to begin with:

Steel Panther - Feel the Steel

Spinal Tap - This Is Spinal Tap / Break Like The Wind / Back From The Dead

The Darkness - Permission To Land / One Way To Hell ..... and Back

The Black Sweden - Gold

Skrapp Mettle - Sensitive

Steel Panther for me, Skrapp a little overrated and the Black Sweden aint bad

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. Steel Panther - Feel the Steel ; imo the only genuinely good album of this genre that I've heard (Well, along with Metal Shop and Metal Skool).

2. Skrapp Mettle - 'Sensetive' ; although this one is pretty damn good too. The only other one I have any time for. :) It really is quite funny and not too bad either musically.

Spinal Tap - This Is Spinal Tap / Break Like The Wind / Back From The Dead ; never really heard a full disc from these guys. Are they worth checking out, or more for fans of the more Judas Priest / Motorhead favouring crowd?

The Black Sweden - Gold ; to be honest, never heard these guys. Are they any good?

The Darkness - Permission To Land / One Way To Hell ..... and Back ; last on every list ever assembled. I will admit I was literally in tears the first time I ever put on these samples. The voice was one of the funniest things I'd ever heard. But once you've heard that, that's the end. The songs were garbage, the joke that is his voice is not even remotely funny if you're actually sitting down to try and listen to the songs, shit as they were. And there is just basically nothing I don't hate about these guys. Stone Gods are good, though.

Edit

Spinal Tap - Not for the quality of musicianship (which it isn't really about), but because for the main reason for being a Parody band - They were clever, had the timing, the subtelty, they were fucking funny as hell and The movie is still hilarious 25 years on - That is called Longevity

Steel Panther - Bow at the alter and lick the boots of David St. Hubbins. ;)

1) Spinal Tap - Any Album: For their longevity and knowing how not to be overly-obnoxious with their overall music. These guys know their place in Rock N Roll Parody.

2) Steel Panther - Feel The Steel: Seriously overated but definitely excellent musicians. Sadly lack the skill to tone down the tired Jim Carrey-esque comedy routine/lyrics to match the good music. Also, not fitting of any mentioning of their album being an "Album Of The Year" as they are a farce compared to the serious bands in the world.

Poison's whole catalog....

HAHA

How could I have forgotten those freaks. Unfortunately they weren't meant to be funny.

CC, Lick St. Hubbins boots aswell. :D

Edit

Spinal Tap - Not for the quality of musicianship (which it isn't really about), but because for the main reason for being a Parody band - They were clever, had the timing, the subtelty, they were fucking funny as hell and The movie is still hilarious 25 years on - That is called Longevity

What he said. :drink:

Edit

Once again I agree with Jez :tumbsup:

What about these bands:

BAD NEWS

BEATALLICA

DREAD ZEPPELIN

BLOODY STOOLS

2) Steel Panther - Feel The Steel: Seriously overated but definitely excellent musicians. Sadly lack the skill to tone down the tired Jim Carrey-esque comedy routine/lyrics to match the good music. Also, not fitting of any mentioning of their album being an "Album Of The Year" as they are a farce compared to the serious bands in the world.

It's my favourite album of the year so far. I've put the question out there several times now and still had no reply as to what makes these lyrics inferior to the rest of the lyrics in the music we listen to. :) Until someone can validly tell me why there is less merit in Steel Panther's lyrics than anyone else's it will remain at the top of my 2009 list too... unless someone records an album which is as good as 'Feel The Steel' this year. Simple as that. The songs are the best I have heard in 2009.

Anyway, heard some Spinal Tap last night (this new album) and it didn't make me want to pursue it, but I might still. Out of curiosity. The songs weren't even really that rocky. As in the music sounded to be as much a joke as the lyrical content? Is that right? Obviously you guys have much more attachment to these guys as you grew up with it, but from what I've seen and heard I'm not dying to get into them. But I will try them at some point.

It's my favourite album of the year so far. I've put the question out there several times now and still had no reply as to what makes these lyrics inferior to the rest of the lyrics in the music we listen to. :) Until someone can validly tell me why there is less merit in Steel Panther's lyrics than anyone else's it will remain at the top of my 2009 list too... unless someone records an album which is as good as 'Feel The Steel' this year. Simple as that. The songs are the best I have heard in 2009.

Tails off a little at the end..........that's the only reason it wont top my list.

'Asian Hooker' is probably my fav song of the year so far........cant get the pesky little ditty out of my head.

Tails off a little at the end..........that's the only reason it wont top my list.

'Asian Hooker' is probably my fav song of the year so far........cant get the pesky little ditty out of my head.

Yeah, killer song. One of the best of the year no doubt.

As for the end, 'Girl from Oklahoma' and 'Hell's on fire' are two of the album's best. The only 3 songs off this that won't make my Ipod are 'The shocker', 'Eatin' ain't cheatin' and 'Fuck all night (Party all day)'. The rest (8 songs!) is on my Ipod without question which is BY FAR the highest showing from any CD I've heard this year. :) For me, there is no question it's the best CD of the year so far.

As for the end, 'Girl from Oklahoma' and 'Hell's on fire' are two of the album's best. The only 3 songs off this that won't make my Ipod are 'The shocker', 'Eatin' ain't cheatin' and 'Fuck all night (Party all day)'. The rest (8 songs!) is on my Ipod without question which is BY FAR the highest showing from any CD I've heard this year. :) For me, there is no question it's the best CD of the year so far.

WTF...I love Fuck All Night! Total rip off, but its marvellous. Hells on Fire was one of my least favs actually cos the lyrics werent smutty enough - LOL!

Im still struggling to put this above albums like Place Vendome and Farcry....which are virtually filler free. Oh and I love The Poodles newie as well. Cant wait for them to wipe Rock City off the face of the Earth come October! :headbanger:

WTF...I love Fuck All Night! Total rip off, but its marvellous. Hells on Fire was one of my least favs actually cos the lyrics werent smutty enough - LOL!

Im still struggling to put this above albums like Place Vendome and Farcry....which are virtually filler free. Oh and I love The Poodles newie as well. Cant wait for them to wipe Rock City off the face of the Earth come October! :headbanger:

Yeah, as I said in another thread, the 'Hey hey hey's put 'Fuck all night' out of contention for me. Maybe minor to some, but it's the main hook in the song and doesn't suit me. I still love the song because as I said, lyrically and musically it is awesome - I LOVE the tale of his mom warning him against sexual disease and the details of his itchy balls, just brilliant... but I'm just really picky when it comes to things like that 'Hey hey hey' bit.

Place Vendome and Farcry are next on my list too. There is barely a poor track on all 3 albums, but as I said above, Steel Panther definitely have the biggest presence on my Ipod with outright gems.

As for 'Hell's on fire', yeah, after 'Eyes of a panther' it's the tamest on the disc but I still love it. One of my favourite lines on the whole CD is where he sings of it being so hot you can fry and egg on the floor - Mmmm, I like 'em scrambled! I laugh aloud each time I hear it. Lyrics aside, though, killer melodic rock verses... as in first class stuff, imo.

Stop prattling on about the lyrics. If you like them then that's lovely. The fact this band get a ton of undeserved hype and album sales is criminal when you think that talented bands like MARCELLO/VESTRY and FARCRY are playing 80's MHR and not getting anywhere near this level of hype. Sure, most AOR lyrics are not great - but never are they embarrassing to the point that you cringe every time you hear them. If I was 13 years old I might want to play this to my mates, but if I did that with this album I wouldn't expect to have any mates left.

Anyway, this thread is about parody albums - and my view is that they're rarely funny. They NEVER have longevity. Let someone else buy them so you can hear them and laugh once, so you don't then see them collect dust on the shelf. If someone can tell me a parody song/album that is genuinely worth playing more than once or twice then let me know 'cos I haven't heard it. Sorry but I'm a serious music collector/fan & don't have time for this stuff.

Stop prattling on about the lyrics. If you like them then that's lovely. The fact this band get a ton of undeserved hype and album sales is criminal when you think that talented bands like MARCELLO/VESTRY and FARCRY are playing 80's MHR and not getting anywhere near this level of hype. Sure, most AOR lyrics are not great - but never are they embarrassing to the point that you cringe every time you hear them. If I was 13 years old I might want to play this to my mates, but if I did that with this album I wouldn't expect to have any mates left.

Anyway, this thread is about parody albums - and my view is that they're rarely funny. They NEVER have longevity. Let someone else buy them so you can hear them and laugh once, so you don't then see them collect dust on the shelf. If someone can tell me a parody song/album that is genuinely worth playing more than once or twice then let me know 'cos I haven't heard it. Sorry but I'm a serious music collector/fan & don't have time for this stuff.

Sorry to disagree with you Tim, but the Steel Panther is excellent.

Just take a look at Scrap Mettle to see just how badly this can be done.....now that album is cringeworthy...poor songs and not really that funny.

Songs like 'Asian Hooker' and 'Community Property' are great in my book.

Cheers

Love me some Spinal Tap and Beatallica. As for Steel Panther, they're fun but I don't think they're going to grace my CD player overly much once the initial new-ness of it wears off.

It really boggles my mind that Steel Panther managed to release that album on a major label when so many "real" bands are still toiling in indie-ville.

Grumpy ol' bastard. ;)

Seriously mate, I only harp on about the lyrics in reply to others harping on about how supposedly worthless they are. I still see no valid point why they're no good here. I may personally not cringe to a lot of poor lyrics because I don't expect or need them from this type of music, but when I play a lot of my AOR / melodic rock in front of other people I can understand reservations they have towards a lot of the lyrics when I listen from their perspective. I think a lot of them are very embarrassing... but it doesn't make it bad music.

My simple point is - I do not understand why 'Asian Hooker' or 'Community Property' cannot be heard a second time but 'Slipped her the big one' by Danger Danger or 'She goes down' by Motley Crue can? I've said it a million times, but you haters are not making sense to me. A good song is a good song... it's a simple equation.

Marcello/Vestry and Farcry are both excellent. But just like in the 80's some bands got lucky and sadly a bunch of equally good ones didn't. This time round Steel Panther got lucky and I am happy as f*ck for them. I'd rather be behind a genuinely excellent band finally going somewhere rather than tearing them down at every opportunity. :)

My simple point is - I do not understand why 'Asian Hooker' or 'Community Property' cannot be heard a second time but 'Slipped her the big one' by Danger Danger or 'She goes down' by Motley Crue can? I've said it a million times, but you haters are not making sense to me. A good song is a good song... it's a simple equation.

Marcello/Vestry and Farcry are both excellent. But just like in the 80's some bands got lucky and sadly a bunch of equally good ones didn't. This time round Steel Panther got lucky and I am happy as f*ck for them. I'd rather be behind a genuinely excellent band finally going somewhere rather than tearing them down at every opportunity. :)

I agree that a good song is a good song. I also agree that "Asian Hooker" would be awesome if it had good lyrics. But it doesn't. They're horrible. Honestly, I could've written better myself in 5 minutes. "Slipped Her The Big One" is equally awful, nice example. Cheesy songs about love however don't fall into the same category - they are a bit cringeworthy but they rarely are so bad you have to switch them off....

However - I do wish them well, any decently talented band playing this type of music should be supported IMO...

I agree that a good song is a good song. I also agree that "Asian Hooker" would be awesome if it had good lyrics. But it doesn't. They're horrible. Honestly, I could've written better myself in 5 minutes.

In all fairness mate, I doubt that. I think that song is pretty awesome. From the 'Oriental' intro - to the killer verses and the massive over the top chorus. Love it.

''What shall we rhyme with Asian Hooker''... Errr I know! how about Mother Fucker or Cock Sucker. Genius sheer genius ;)