"Official" Best of 2009 Thread

as a "Queensryche" release it pales in comparison to the first 5 releases.

You could say that for just about everything Queensryche has released post-EMPIRE. :lol:

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm yet to hear Freakshow or 3 of the 4 Eonian discs (should be here this afternoon) and the list is only tentative due to my purchase of 66 CDs from Secondspin, which has really eaten into new release CD listening time. Anyway, as it stands at the moment:

My two top 10's are:

MHR1:

1. Place Vendome - Streets of fire

2. Farcry - High gear

3. Wildstreet - s/t

4. Chris Laney - Pure

5. Sunstorm - House of dreams

6. Bad Habit - Above and beyond

7. Covered Call - Money never sleeps

8. Johnny Lima - Living out loud

9. The Trophy - The gift of life

10. Allied Nation -Touch n' Go

MHR2:

1. Fallbrooke - s/t

2. Papa Roach - Metamorphosis

3. Halestorm- s/t

4. Silverstein - A shipwreck in the sand

5. Burn Halo -s/t

6. A Day to Remember - Homesick

7. Ghosts of Gloria - Voices from the redroom

8. Madina Lake - Attics to eden

9. Nural - Entitlement

10. Down From Up - From ashes to empire

I do want to make a not before Glen beats me to a pulp. Nural is one of the must-hear discs I need to spin a lot more to really decide it's place in this list. On the first few spins 'Up against' and the ballad were amazing, but still not completely sold on the rest. However, I do not take the kind of praise you've delivered lightly, so I really need to spin this again, soon, and often.

Ha, you saved yrself there mate....just.

Seriously how Fallbrooke is still number 1 in your modern list is beyond me....that album is OK, but the second side is just weak. Nural, Papa and now of course American Radio all wipe the floor with it IMHO.

& just one more question before I go.......WTF is J Lima doing languishing in 8th spot? Hmmm, Hmmm.???? & below Bad Habit. Jesus.

I guess the only explanation can be that your finger slipped and typed 8 by accident.

My top 10 so far.

Saga - The Human Condition

Heaven & Hell - The Devil You Know

Shakin' Street - 21st Century Love Channel

Balance - Equilibrium

Sunstorm - House Of Dreams

Place Vendome - Streets Of Fire

Free Spirit - Pale Sister Of Light

Saxon - Into The Labyrinth

FarCry - High Gear

Tinted Windows - S/T

Hey Jez whats Tinted Windows like, I haven't heard of that one...

Excellent disc with Bun E. Carlos of Cheap Trick on Drums, Taylor Hanson (Hanson) on Vox, Adam Schlesinger (Fountains Of Wayne) and James Iha (Smashing Pumpkins). Very good power pop disc, with more than a slant at Cheap Trick amongst others. Really quite cool in places. :tumbsup:

Um.....

Heaven & Hell - THE DEVIL YOU KNOW

Mainly because it's the only '09 release I've heard thus far this year.

I believe you've heard the new Hammerfall, Impellitteri, Saxon, Helstar and Queensryche.

Um...oh yea, right. Forgot about HammerFall. :lol: I guess that means it made a real big impression on me huh?? :rofl2:

You got me on a technicality with Saxon and Helstar... they were '08 releases in Europe (tho they weren't released in the US till '09).

Haven't sampled Impellitteri (spelling?) yet and deliberately ignored the Queensryche after hearing the single/video... I'm simply not interested in that one...

Yeah the Saxon and Helstar came out in the US in 2009 and that's why I see them as 2009 releases and both are excellent as well. The Impellitteri rules too.

'Into The Labyrinth' came out in early January in Europe, so is definitely a 2009 release here aswell.

My top 10 so far.

Saga - The Human Condition

Heaven & Hell - The Devil You Know

Shakin' Street - 21st Century Love Channel

Balance - Equilibrium

Sunstorm - House Of Dreams

Place Vendome - Streets Of Fire

Free Spirit - Pale Sister Of Light

Saxon - Into The Labyrinth

FarCry - High Gear

Tinted Windows - S/T

Hey Jez whats Tinted Windows like, I haven't heard of that one...

Excellent disc with Bun E. Carlos of Cheap Trick on Drums, Taylor Hanson (Hanson) on Vox, Adam Schlesinger (Fountains Of Wayne) and James Iha (Smashing Pumpkins). Very good power pop disc, with more than a slant at Cheap Trick amongst others. Really quite cool in places. :tumbsup:

Agreed! :tumbsup:

I do hear some PUMPKINS as well!

It's on my top ten as well!!

I'm yet to hear Freakshow or 3 of the 4 Eonian discs (should be here this afternoon) and the list is only tentative due to my purchase of 66 CDs from Secondspin, which has really eaten into new release CD listening time. Anyway, as it stands at the moment:

My two top 10's are:

MHR1:

1. Place Vendome - Streets of fire

2. Farcry - High gear

3. Wildstreet - s/t

4. Chris Laney - Pure

5. Sunstorm - House of dreams

6. Bad Habit - Above and beyond

7. Covered Call - Money never sleeps

8. Johnny Lima - Living out loud

9. The Trophy - The gift of life

10. Allied Nation -Touch n' Go

MHR2:

1. Fallbrooke - s/t

2. Papa Roach - Metamorphosis

3. Halestorm- s/t

4. Silverstein - A shipwreck in the sand

5. Burn Halo -s/t

6. A Day to Remember - Homesick

7. Ghosts of Gloria - Voices from the redroom

8. Madina Lake - Attics to eden

9. Nural - Entitlement

10. Down From Up - From ashes to empire

I do want to make a not before Glen beats me to a pulp. Nural is one of the must-hear discs I need to spin a lot more to really decide it's place in this list. On the first few spins 'Up against' and the ballad were amazing, but still not completely sold on the rest. However, I do not take the kind of praise you've delivered lightly, so I really need to spin this again, soon, and often.

Ha, you saved yrself there mate....just.

Seriously how Fallbrooke is still number 1 in your modern list is beyond me....that album is OK, but the second side is just weak. Nural, Papa and now of course American Radio all wipe the floor with it IMHO.

& just one more question before I go.......WTF is J Lima doing languishing in 8th spot? Hmmm, Hmmm.???? & below Bad Habit. Jesus.

I guess the only explanation can be that your finger slipped and typed 8 by accident.

Haha. As I said, it's all pretty tentative at this point in time. But to answer your questions:

I am spinning Nural in my car now and I do know it will climb that list for sure. And Burn Halo probably has a few places to fall too. I still don't agree with you that the 2nd side of Fallbrooke is weak and it's still got the most amount of great songs on it out of the modern ones this year, imo. As I said in the Papa Roach thread, though, they are neck and neck and my bet by the end of the year is actually on Papa Roach. Nural will be up there, but American Radio? Sorry mate, good disc but not a competitor, imo. Halestorm and Silverstein murder that, let alone competing for the top spot. :)

Johnny Lima is in an odd spot too. LOVED the first spin, was brought back to earth with the 2nd. Simply put, there were still about 3 or 4 songs from the Bad Habit disc that made it to my Ipod... only one from Lima. Lima is definitely more consistent, but I need more spins to see how it holds up.

I've gotta go with Geoff on Fallbrooke topping the list of Modern discs - even though it is very very polished/safe it still has killer tunes. Though that said, if it doesn't actually get physically released then it sure as shit won't be going in my list.

P.s. The Papa Roach disc has long since outstayed it's welcome in my CD player.

God what's wrong with you 2. Are you serious when you say the quality doesnt fall off a cliff on the second side of that Fallbrooke disc (by that I mean tracks 7/8/9....cos 6 is good)......and then at the end they repeat that ballad which truth be told is not that great in the first place. Just wrong.

Also I really like that American Radio album. Does fall away a little at the end, but pretty solid throughout.

I havent heard Silverstein and i've only listened to Halestorm on myspace (which I really liked) so sounds like I need to check those out.

However I do have the feeling that come July Daughtry and Adelitas Way are going to clean up in the modern stakes this year. Both have the potential to top the pile IMO.

Just for you, mate, I have Fallbrooke in my car and will spin it asap... especially those last 4 songs. I do know that I have 4 songs on my Ipod from this disc and all are from the first 5, but I don't recall thinking the end was bad. Weaker, perhaps, but not bad. I'll get back to you asap.

Yeah, don't get me wrong. I also really like the American Radio disc. Solid all the way through, but also extremely safe. Nothing at all wrong with it and it will rate well at the end of the year, but will not compete at the top.

Halestorm is excellent but I'm not sure you'll dig Silverstein. It's a great disc, but might fall into FFAF territory for you.

Not sure they'll clean up (they probably will, though) but I too am very keen to hear Daughtry and Adelitas Way. Both should be excellent. I wonder if Just Surrender, Faber Drive or Hedley are planning new discs this year...

Just for you, mate, I have Fallbrooke in my car and will spin it asap... especially those last 4 songs. I do know that I have 4 songs on my Ipod from this disc and all are from the first 5, but I don't recall thinking the end was bad. Weaker, perhaps, but not bad. I'll get back to you asap.

Yeah I listened to it again last night just to check I wasnt going mad.

So, first 4 tunes all v good....then we get that ballad. Im still not keen on this song....I dunno what it is about it but it just doesnt click. Its OK, but to repeat an OK ish song at the end of the disc is a mistake IMO.

Track 6 is nice. Like that one.

Then tracks 7/8/9........Mmm. I kinda like them in a very safe, sort of way. All 3 are quite melancholy tho.

What I would have liked is a big over the top, uplifting tune in there say like 'Haight Street' from last year, and then another ballad to close the album - but a new tune and better than the other ballad.....then it would have been competing for top spot.

Make sense??

Yeah I listened to it again last night just to check I wasnt going mad.

So, first 4 tunes all v good....then we get that ballad. Im still not keen on this song....I dunno what it is about it but it just doesnt click. Its OK, but to repeat an OK ish song at the end of the disc is a mistake IMO.

Track 6 is nice. Like that one.

Then tracks 7/8/9........Mmm. I kinda like them in a very safe, sort of way. All 3 are quite melancholy tho.

What I would have liked is a big over the top, uplifting tune in there say like 'Haight Street' from last year, and then another ballad to close the album - but a new tune and better than the other ballad.....then it would have been competing for top spot.

Make sense??

Sounds good mate. To be honest I probably almost agree with you... just not quite as down on those 3 tracks, though. ;) But yeah, no doubt all along I have agreed with you that the repetition of that one ballad was a bad move. I'll spin it soon too.

Heaven And Hell-The Devil You Know

The Answer-Everyday Demons

Can't stop playing both at the moment as these are the only new releases i've bought so far this year.I have too much older stuff to catch up on still.

1. Heaven & Hell "The Devil You Know"

2. FarCry "High Gear"

3. The Answer "Everyday Demons"

4. Impellitteri "Wicked Maiden"

5. Helstar "King of Hell"

6. Saxon "Into the Labyrinth"

7. Great White "Rising"

8. Hammerfall "No Sacrifice, No Victory"

9. Charlemagne "Charlemagne"

10. Queensryche "American Soldier"

11. High Noon "No Turning Back"

12. Pistol Dawn "Conversation Piece"

13. Gynger Lynn "Gynger Lynn"

Two new ones that are kicking my butt:

Wildstreet "Wildstreet"

Johnny Lima "Livin Out Loud"

I'd like to also add:

The Last Vegas-Whatever Gets You Off

• 1 month later...

while still awaiting for the japo release to land into my backyard(hopefully while i'm still young and handsome), the new p.mantis easily is in the top of my list....they made it again....how they come with all these short melodic leads is the new mystery of the century.... :guitbannana:

My list so far. An awesome year so far for Extreme Metal and Modern Rock:-

1. KILLSWITCH ENGAGE - S/T

2. PLACE VENDOME - Streets of Fire

3. NURAL - Entitlement

4. SUNSTORM - House of Dreams

5. JOB FOR A COWBOY - Ruination

6. DEVILDRIVER - Pray For Villians

7. FARCRY - High Gear

8. SUICIDE SILENCE - A Time to Bleed

9. ENTER SHIKARI - Common Dreads

10. THE VEER UNION - Against the Grain

11. SILVERSTEIN - A Shipwreck in the Sand

12. THE BLACKOUT - Best in Town

Disappointments:

JONNY LIMA - Livin' Out Loud (boring)

PRIMAL FEAR - 16.6 (too samey/safe)

BAD HABIT - Above & Beyond (3 good songs is not enough)

3. NURAL - Entitlement

7. FARCRY - High Gear

Disappointments:

nice list mate......i'd have the Farcry way above Sunstorm personally.

ive got the Silverstein lined up for a listen this week

cheers

nice list mate......i'd have the Farcry way above Sunstorm personally.

I love you mate. :wub:

Monster album for me mate.

I played it non-stop on the way to and fro to the hospital whilst Samuel was in special care......got me through some tough times over the last week or so.

:beerbang:

3. NURAL - Entitlement

7. FARCRY - High Gear

Disappointments:

Wow, surprised you're digging the Silverstein disc that much. Pleasantly suprised. :) Nice work mate. What happened to A Day To Remember?

I think it's time I updated my list this week too.

Okay, here we go:

MHR1:

1 . Steel Panther - Feel the steel

2 . Place Vendome - Streets of fire

3 . Farcry - High gear

4 . Chris Laney - Pure

5 . Sunstorm - House of dreams

6 . Wildstreet - s/t

7 . Pistol Dawn - Conversation peice

8 . Hardcore Superstar - Beg for it

9 . The Poodles - Clash of the elements

10 . Bad Habit - Above and beyond

MHR2:

1 . No Love Lost - s/t

2 . Fallbrooke - s/t

3 . Papa Roach - Metamorphosis

4 . Nural - Entitlement

5 . Burn Halo -s/t

6 . The Veer Union- Against the grain

7 . Halestorm- s/t

8 . Ghosts of Gloria - Voices from the redroom

9 . A Day to Remember - Homesick

10 . Silverstein - A shipwreck in the sand

Neither list is one I am wild about. No offence to them as they're a great band, but the fact that Bad Hait is still in my top 10 list is not really a magnificent sign for my thoughts on the year as a whole so far. And the modern list is good, but again, it's not bowling me over by any means.

So far, very very roughly:

Bad Habit

Blackrain

Renegade Five

Sahara Rain

FarCry

Koritni

Covered Call - money never sleeps

Hot Leg

Solna

Freakshow

Revolution Renaissance Age Of Aquarius

AGE STEN NILSEN - Glamunition

Tall Stories

Herman Frank

Danger Avenue

very rough update:

Renegade five

Bad Habit

FarCry

Blackrain

Sahara Rain

Hardline

Koritni

Revolution Renaissance - Age Of Aquarius

Free Spirit

Solna

Freakshow

Covered Call - money never sleeps

Stratovarius

Hot Leg

These did nothing for me:

Highest Dream

Tall Stories

XXX

Spitfire

AGE STEN NILSEN - Glamunition

Herman Frank

Danger Avenue

The Veer Union

Empires of Eden

Nural

Still havnt heard most of the releases i actually want to hear yet..

im gonna wait til the end of July before i update my list cos the modern rock best 10 will be blown apart by

Society Red

Evans Blue

Daughtry

Adelitas Way

and...New Device

all of which will feature...........

cheers

Evans Blue

Okay, so what the f*ck did I miss here? I hope you have a thread explaining yourself further. I'd love to see these guys release a good disc (the last 2 were very average at best) because in all honesty, 'Q' of 2007's "The Pursuit Begins When This Portrayal Of Life Ends" is one of the best songs I have ever heard in my entire life. If they could make an album full of songs like that they would be completely unbeatable.