Cool old show review! I was in the front row!

rob62972

Digging through some old boxes of stuff in my basement, I came across some old issues of ROX magazine. The newspaper was the most awesome free local music scene paper there was. Not only did ROX cover the local Baltimore/D.C. local music scene, they also had interviews with the major bands as well. I'm sure LVKix fondly remembers the old ROX. The paper folded back in 1995. A part of me died that day.

Anyhow.... the first paper I picked up I started looking through. Man did this bring back some awesome memories. The bands mentioned I remember seeing back in the day. You know.... back in the day when there was actually multiple rock clubs with bands playing every night. I miss those days.

But I found a cool little piece on Bomb Squad. I was wondering about these guys after seeing them open on the Babylon A.D., Roxy Blue and Wildside tour I seen. In this issue of ROX magazine, the show is critiqued within the piece on Bomb Squad. Thought I'd share it with you all.

Check it out:

bombsquad1.jpg

bombsquad2.jpg

Bomb Squad

by Brian Ullmann (Rox Magazine)

During a concert, it is an inherent truth that the headline act will outperform -- if not blow away -- the opening act. The expanded stage, louder sound, more extensive light production, and generally, an audience that has bought tickets specifically to see the headliner all give that band an undeniable advantage.

Which leaves us with two options regarding the July 12 Bomb Squad/Wildside/Roxy Blue/Babylon A.D. show at Pier Six Pavilion. One (and I'll tell you up front this was not the case): Babylon A.D. stunk up the stage because there was virtually no noticeable musical difference between Bomb Squad and themselves. Or two (pay attention to this one): There was no noticeable difference between headliner and opener because the fellows in Bomb Squad belong onstage with the best of them.

Babylon A.D. filmed their new video for the ballad "So Savage The Heart" during the gig. It's funny how the music business works, because Bomb Squad's ballad "He's Got You" is every bit as good. But instead of hearing their songs all over the airwaves and seeing their faces all over MTV, Bomb Squad is forced to wait patiently for their turn.

"Your Love Makes Me High," the band's condemnation of "Johnny Carson-late-night-missionary-position-sex" is just as melodious and high powered as Babylon A.D.'s hit single "Bad Blood" and much more original than Roxy Halen's "Rob the Cradle." The difference here is not songwriting or musical talent, it's just a little luck for these signed bands. It's merely a case of being in the right place at the right time and getting noticed.

It will only be a matter of time for Bomb Squad. As evidenced by the Pier Six show, these boys have the metal-rock thing down cold. Lead singer Marc has all the moves and in-between-song-banter of any national singer. And a greater vocal range than most. From his Axl Rose-like baritone on "Last Chance Nancy" to the high-pitched "Your Love Makes Me High," Marc floored me with his versatility. His voice is Bomb Squad's major asset. The riffs by Scott Purcell and the rhythm by bassist D.J. Glass and drummer Scott LeClaire, if not completely original, were more than good enough to place them on the national level with the Babylons and Wildsides of the music scene.

Their seven-song set, the evening's briefest, included Baltimore favorites "Groove Me", "Your Addiction" and "Watcha Do 2 Me." The set holds as much merit as any, and their musicianship holds up equally well.

Makes you wonder what they could do with a larger stage, longer set, louder sound and bigger lights, huh?

Did Bomb Squad release a cd?

Bomb Squad did record 10 or 11 songs for a CD release. The songs were 100% recorded and mastered. That release never happened... Somewhere these songs sit. Nobody, including the band, knows where these recordings are. I don't believe the band has the righs to release these song anyway.

Did Bomb Squad release a cd?

Bomb Squad did record 10 or 11 songs for a CD release. The songs were 100% recorded and mastered. That release never happened... Somewhere these songs sit. Nobody, including the band, knows where these recordings are. I don't believe the band has the righs to release these song anyway.

That's a shame cuz they sure kicked ass.