FarCry - High Gear

Favorite Tracks  

23 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

So we're already thinking about the next CD and have every intention of getting back in the studio sometime in the Fall. Before we do we'd like some input as to the direction you'd like to see us take with regard to what you've heard on "High Gear". So what do YOU think?

Secondly, thanks so much for all the support (and patience!) you've extended to us throughout the 2 1/2 year process required to make this first album. We're doing everything we can to make sure it's a much shorter wait for the next one!!!

Cheers, Pete

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I voted for the opening & closing tracks, followed by "Out of Reach". I love that 80's summertime feel - kinda Blue Tears/early Jovi - more than the rockier stuff. I think that stuff works better with the slick production & the vocalists range, though not sure the guitarists would agree with me on that choice. :lol:

Fine Line

Have It All

The Same Mistake

Heaven

Out of Reach

Those Were the Days

Love Won't Wait

She's Crazy

Kick Me Down

Talk To Me

Nowhere Fast (by far the worst track on an otherwise STELLAR album)

I still haven't heard the album (sorry Pete) but I'm thinking that perhaps you might want to explore some of these musical pastures on your next release....

Death polka

Countrified doom thrash

Hair Metal mixed with traditional bluegrass

:lol:

I would vote... but i havnt got it yet!!!

I sent it I swear!

Also, just wanted to say thanks to everyone who took the time to throw down their assessment of the CD, the songs, the band, etc., good AND bad. All feedback is welcome and appreciated and hopefully will make the next FarCry release even better! :drink:

I still haven't heard the album (sorry Pete) but I'm thinking that perhaps you might want to explore some of these musical pastures on your next release....

Countrified doom thrash

:lol:

That would be so awesome. :headbanger:

One thing that did surprise me about this disc is how melodic it is. More so than the Rockarma, and more so than the comparators suggested it would be (Tyketto/Harem Scarem/AdrianGale/Firehouse). It's more like the Goodbye Thrill & the last couple of Ted Poley discs IMO, especially with the keyboards, which I was very pleasantly surprised about. Shoot me down on this, but I do wonder if this vocalist is going to suit the direction the band are going in if the next record is equally melodic-sounding - as his style suits the heavier tunes but I'm not convinced he has the range to carry off the more radio-friendly stuff. Not in the same way that a Harnell/Ted Poley/Greg Fulkersson does...

First of all Pete, you sure are brave asking the nutjobs on this board what they think, myself included!

I had said on an earlier thread that I thought "High Gear" was a bit uneven, but what I meant by that wasn't that the songs weren't all great (which I think they are) but that they don't sound like they were all done by the same band. The disc has a sort of "bag of tunes" quality instead of a single "sound" throughout. (Not a complaint, just an observation.) :)

My opinion is that the band should write more tunes and cover maybe one outside song. (How about "Stepping Stone" by the Monkees? Just tossing that out there.) :D

My vote was for "Love Won't Wait", "Those Were the Days" and "She's Crazy". More tunes like those, with lyrics that relate to us over 40 types, would be awesome!

Where do I send my check? :)

Wait, wait, WAIT!!! Let me hear the CD first before you decide. I'm guessing it'll be in the mailbox today so I'll let you know asap. :)

First of all Pete, you sure are brave asking the nutjobs on this board what they think, myself included!

I had said on an earlier thread that I thought "High Gear" was a bit uneven, but what I meant by that wasn't that the songs weren't all great (which I think they are) but that they don't sound like they were all done by the same band. The disc has a sort of "bag of tunes" quality instead of a single "sound" throughout. (Not a complaint, just an observation.) :)

This is definitely true, there's a lot of variety on there & the album has the feel of a band trying to find their direction. The fact that everything they try works so well is a great testament to the quality of song/music writing - even the cover song (one I'd never heard before) is brilliantly executed. When I listen to this back-to-back with the new Sunstorm, which is also very varied and has a few covers, that album is all-over-the-place & the covers stand-out a mile whereas "High Gear" is pretty seamless - & easily the better album IMO....

This is definitely true, there's a lot of variety on there & the album has the feel of a band trying to find their direction. The fact that everything they try works so well is a great testament to the quality of song/music writing - even the cover song (one I'd never heard before) is brilliantly executed. When I listen to this back-to-back with the new Sunstorm, which is also very varied and has a few covers, that album is all-over-the-place & the covers stand-out a mile whereas "High Gear" is pretty seamless - & easily the better album IMO....

You're a beautiful, beautiful man. :wub:

Geoff, it's over between us.

Thanks for the little note in my copy - is amazing that you dedicated a whole song ("Heaven") just for me....

BTW: Is "Talk to Me" a cover? I could've sworn I'd heard it somewhere before?

Thanks for the little note in my copy - is amazing that you dedicated a whole song ("Heaven") just for me....

Astute observation my friend... here is where you probably heard it.

You know, I was thinking the same thing about the track "Heaven". I swear I've heard it before... ;)

You know, I was thinking the same thing about the track "Heaven". I swear I've heard it before... ;)

Oh very funny... but of course it can be heard here... ;)

Pete, since you're going to have to come up with some songs for the next album, I thought I would help you out and give you some song title ideas to get you started...

What's That In Your Mouth

Worshipping Jimbo

Pull My Finger

Sharon, Cheryl, Ike

Smells

Your Song Title Here

And a bonus CD title: Higher Gear - Cry Farther

You're welcome. :)

:(

I tell you what'll be over pretty soon - the postman's life, if doesn't hurry up and deliver this thing. BTW, nice choice with 'Talk to me'. That's my favourite Hush song to be honest. And I like quite a lot from those guys. :)