UPDATE: NEW MASTEDON COMES OUT ON TUESDAY Oct. 6!

rockdoc

OMFG!

The track "One Day Down by the Lake (See You Real Soon)" is stylistically straight off Kansas - Vinyl Confessions!

This is way too frickin' cool.

EDIT: This track is almost 11 minutes long, and it is amazing.

Thanks, Dan!!! :guitbannana::headbanger:

Didn't Kerry Livgren contribute to that song?

Not sure what you mean by "contribute". Kerry Livgren plays on the whole album.

-Dan

That's even better! :guitbannana: I had read somewhere that Kerry had contributed to a 10 minute+ song on the album, and that was about all I knew about it!

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just checked out all those sound samples and I gotta say this is a big disappointment for me. The first two albums are staples of Christian melodic hard rock, but I didn't hear any of that magic on '3'. I wouldn't even classify this new one as "hard" rock. This was pretty weak all the way around. Very sad. I consider Jon and Dino two of the best producers to ever grace the Christian music scene.

LOFCAUDIO was "hard rock"? Seriously? I wouldn't put it any heavier than the new material, probably a bit lighter actually. It's a Jungle Out There always struck me as the heavier of the two albums, but even that wasn't all that heavy.

IMO I think the first two albums classify as hard rock. They're not super-heavy but I still still think it falls into that category much better than this new one. This '3' sounds more like contemporary Christian AOR to me. Jon's voice does sound great but there wasn't one sample that stuck out to me as awesome. But, like you said, to each their own.

"It's a Jungle out There" definitely falls into the hard rock category, and "Lofcaudio," while lighter and more polished, still retains its melodic rock edge and totally blows the balls off this new one. I wholeheartedly agree with my brother that this is a big fat disappointment. Jon's voice sounds stellar as ever, but those songs make recent Bon Jovi sound like heavy metal. Mastedon fans waited 18 yrs. for this CD and this is the best the band could do? I expect so much better from John & Dino...

I expected only good songs, and that's what I hear...really good songs...melodic, more Rock than any of his solo stuff...not the 80s vibe of old Mastedon, but much more Rock than anything he's done in over 15 years...they're also not billing it as a total return to old Mastedon Rock style...but songs that hearken back to both Mastedon and his time in Kansas...and that I can definitely hear...

Really looking forward to hearing the end result of this one. 'It's A Jungle Out There' is also being re-issued at the same time, which is also cool, as I don't own it.

• 4 weeks later...

OK, having spun the album a couple of times...WOW! John has outdone himself, IMO. It's got elements of his entire musical legacy...it's truly like a blend of Mastedon, Kansas & his solo material...his voice sounds amazing and the melodies are to die for...I'm loving it.

Completely and 100% with Chris and Mark here (can I become the third brother?).

The first two albums are not exactly "heavy", but I'd classify them as melodic hard rock. Even if not "hard" technically, I also agree they're 10 times more rock than this new CD. But oh well, to each their own. :)

I always thought these guys were very patchy at the best of times, but I do enjoy the first two CDs. This new one, however... I think it's terrible. Spun it again last night (for the last time, it's offical) to make sure.

To make sure I don't sound completely heartless I will admit 'Nowhere Without Your Love' is a decent ballad, 'Questions (It's About Time)' is half listenable (though I was really grasping at straws to make it so), 'You Can't Take Anything' is the best overall song and is also okay and as I noted elsewhere, without a doubt the best thing on this entire CD is the chorus in 'That's What You Do'... even if the rest of the song is awful, imo.

So in the end, there were 4 songs I could listen to, but I really hated the rest. Sorry guys. :(

Mine should be arriving next week sometime, but the 2 songs I have heard so far have been excellent. Will post my opinions when it arrives.

Really looking forward to hearing the end result of this one. 'It's A Jungle Out There' is also being re-issued at the same time, which is also cool, as I don't own it.

:yikes: a cd i own (from the 80s), which Jez doesnt!

LOL.

:yikes: a cd i own (from the 80s), which Jez doesnt!

LOL.

awesome new CD !! YO DAN any word on the reissue of Lofcaudio ??? I have heard nothing but you think they would since the reissued Its A Jungle Out There....... Brilliant Band.........

I've spun this album 3 times today...once quite loudly in the car...I absolutely LOVE it!! It's the perfect blend of all 3 era's of John Elefante...solo, Mastedon & Kansas all in one album...fantastic from start to finish!

Absolutely spot on. Any fan of all of Elefante's work is going to seriously love this disc. 2 spins in and this is without doubt a little beauty. :headbanger:

I've spun this album 3 times today...once quite loudly in the car...I absolutely LOVE it!! It's the perfect blend of all 3 era's of John Elefante...solo, Mastedon & Kansas all in one album...fantastic from start to finish!

Yup. It's getting a lot of replay with me too.

I guess you either love it or hate it. *shrug*

File me in the former category.

The first two albums are not exactly "heavy", but I'd classify them as melodic hard rock. Even if not "hard" technically, I also agree they're 10 times more rock than this new CD. But oh well, to each their own. :)

I always thought these guys were very patchy at the best of times, but I do enjoy the first two CDs. This new one, however... I think it's terrible. Spun it again last night (for the last time, it's offical) to make sure.

To make sure I don't sound completely heartless I will admit 'Nowhere Without Your Love' is a decent ballad, 'Questions (It's About Time)' is half listenable (though I was really grasping at straws to make it so), 'You Can't Take Anything' is the best overall song and is also okay and as I noted elsewhere, without a doubt the best thing on this entire CD is the chorus in 'That's What You Do'... even if the rest of the song is awful, imo.

So in the end, there were 4 songs I could listen to, but I really hated the rest. Sorry guys. :(

Just listening to a few samples of the new one now... and im kinda agreeing with Geoff :omg:

Ive never heard all of the first 2 albums, but in my mind they were like overproduced gritty hard rock. This is wimpy aor like his solo stuff. Why didnt he just make it a solo album?

Just listening to a few samples of the new one now... and im kinda agreeing with Geoff :omg:

Ive never heard all of the first 2 albums, but in my mind they were like overproduced gritty hard rock. This is wimpy aor like his solo stuff. Why didnt he just make it a solo album?

Lesson of the day - Don't just listen to samples and listen to the whole album before judgement . This is pretty varied throughout and not all wimpy AOR as you put it. Try 'Water Into Wine' for starters. Killer cd.

Yup. It's getting a lot of replay with me too.

I guess you either love it or hate it. *shrug*

File me in the former category.

I'm in the "hate it" category here. This sounds like something from the mid-70's. The opening song is truly horrible beyond belief, and frankly it never really improves a lot. Great vocals, and some nice harmonies, but - even after 3 or 4 spins - this doesn't have any memorable songs on it at all. Frankly there are way too many good albums out for me to ever play this thing again....

I can understand that some might not dig this thing.

BUT bugger me if 'Nowhere Without Your Love' isnt a brilliant ballad !!

[even if it is a complete rip off of Boston's 'Man I'll Never Be'].

I just got my copy today, I still need to give it a spin.

I also noticed that It's A Jungle Out There has been re-issued....that's the one you need IMO.

I listened to this last night, it's solid but not great, a nice effort after a 20 year hiatus.

I also noticed that It's A Jungle Out There has been re-issued....that's the one you need IMO.

I listened to this last night, it's solid but not great, a nice effort after a 20 year hiatus.

I acctually think it is fookin' great !! :guitbannana:

I agree, a mox of all, a little prog, a little aor, a little harder stuff, really good on first two spins!!!

I can understand that some might not dig this thing.

BUT bugger me if 'Nowhere Without Your Love' isnt a brilliant ballad !!

[even if it is a complete rip off of Boston's 'Man I'll Never Be'].

It certainly has the Boston vibe to it, but if you play them back to back, in no way is 'Nowhere Without Your Love ' a 'complete rip off' of 'A Man I'll Never Be'. Similarities in the sound for sure, vocally especially, but completely different chorus line and verse too.

so why is the cover of the album with links to purchase different from the animal thingy album cover? check John's website

I agree, a mox of all, a little prog, a little aor, a little harder stuff, really good on first two spins!!!

That was after one spin, I'm sure it will grow on me. Another fucking digipak...man I hate those things.