UPDATE: NEW MASTEDON COMES OUT ON TUESDAY Oct. 6!

rockdoc

Just wondering if anyone has heard any info on Mastedon ? I heard a couple years back they were working on songs again with Dino and John Elefante . I loved both of there past releases .

[see my reply at the bottom of this thread for new info. -Dan]

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think I heard that John Elphante was working on a solo disc, haven't heard any rumors about a new Mastedon disc.

Wow - I really hope John Elefante does another solo disc. The other 3 were amazing albums for me.

• 2 weeks later...

From what I can gather and cull from various sources, Mastedon has been put on a back burner until further notice. John is currently compiling a "best of" collection that will feature his favorite Mastedon tracks, and his next solo album is currently being worked on and will tentatively be released in '09, but apparently it's going to be "less radio-friendly and more artistic," which I'm pretty sure translates into "sucks." Oh well, doesn't bother me much, as all his previous solo CDs were way too lite for my tastes anyway.

There is a sample of new stuff that John is working on, sounds pretty good to me so far.

http://www.myspace.com/johnelefante

Sounds really cool. Look forward to hearing the finished stuff. Nice link thanx :tumbsup:

• 3 months later...
There is a sample of new stuff that John is working on, sounds pretty good to me so far.

http://www.myspace.com/johnelefante

Cool - sounds good to me. Love this guys voice.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Am listening to the new Mastedon for the first time as I type this.

VERY promising!

Updated with a slightly more modern approach, but with the signature Elefante sound that the name conjures.

His voice is in fine form.

My favorite track thus far, and it is a MONSTER, in my opinion:

Nowhere Without Your Love

Release date is Tuesday (Oct. 6)

-Dan

OMFG!

The track "One Day Down by the Lake (See You Real Soon)" is stylistically straight off Kansas - Vinyl Confessions!

This is way too frickin' cool.

EDIT: This track is almost 11 minutes long, and it is amazing.

OMFG!

The track "One Day Down by the Lake (See You Real Soon)" is stylistically straight off Kansas - Vinyl Confessions!

Thanks, Dan!!! :guitbannana::headbanger:

Didn't Kerry Livgren contribute to that song?

OMFG!

Thanks, Dan!!! :guitbannana::headbanger:

Didn't Kerry Livgren contribute to that song?

Not sure what you mean by "contribute". Kerry Livgren plays on the whole album.

-Dan

CD added to site and 1-minute audio samples posted of all tracks:

http://www.heavyharmonies.com/cgi-bin/glam...=3&Letter=A

I just checked out all those sound samples and I gotta say this is a big disappointment for me. The first two albums are staples of Christian melodic hard rock, but I didn't hear any of that magic on '3'. I wouldn't even classify this new one as "hard" rock. This was pretty weak all the way around. Very sad. I consider Jon and Dino two of the best producers to ever grace the Christian music scene.

I just checked out all those sound samples and I gotta say this is a big disappointment for me. The first two albums are staples of Christian melodic hard rock, but I didn't hear any of that magic on '3'. I wouldn't even classify this new one as "hard" rock. This was pretty weak all the way around. Very sad. I consider Jon and Dino two of the best producers to ever grace the Christian music scene.

LOFCAUDIO was "hard rock"? Seriously? I wouldn't put it any heavier than the new material, probably a bit lighter actually. It's a Jungle Out There always struck me as the heavier of the two albums, but even that wasn't all that heavy.

Oh well, to each their own. I'm enjoying it. :)

LOFCAUDIO was "hard rock"? Seriously? I wouldn't put it any heavier than the new material, probably a bit lighter actually. It's a Jungle Out There always struck me as the heavier of the two albums, but even that wasn't all that heavy.

Exactly ! You win some, you lose some. You can't have them all ! ;)

IMO I think the first two albums classify as hard rock. They're not super-heavy but I still still think it falls into that category much better than this new one. This '3' sounds more like contemporary Christian AOR to me. There are a few lighter AOR bands that I do listen to, but I find a distinct lack of strong choruses on this new one. Jon's voice does sound great but there wasn't one sample that stuck out to me as awesome. But, like you said, to each their own. I'm more curious now to hear the bonus track off the "It's a Jungle Out There" re-issue. I'm hoping it's one from the archives from back then.