Your opinion on these Aussie classics

Over the years many of the Aussie 'staple' rock bands never really did much overseas, and I've always wondered what people thought of them.

All of these had pretty big commercial success over here in Australia, but what do you think of them?

Noiseworks

Choirboys

Cold Chisel

Jimmy Barnes

The Angels

Baby Animals

I love Noiseworks first 2 discs, 'Touch' especially is a absolutely brilliant.

Choirboys I only have 'Big Bad Noise' and 'Midnight Sun', but both are great, especially 'MS'

Cold Chisel I never really got into, although I like some of the Jimmy Barnes solo stuff especially 'Freight Train Heart'.

The Angels are pretty damned good in spots and they have some great discs in their catologuel, 'Beyond Salvation' is especailly good.

Baby Animals are ok quite like the debut, so so second album

1927 - Nice soft AOR, 'The Other Side' was their best one imo, but there were alot better bands doing this stuff at the time to be honest.

Over the years many of the Aussie 'staple' rock bands never really did much overseas, and I've always wondered what people thought of them.

All of these had pretty big commercial success over here in Australia, but what do you think of them?

Noiseworks

Choirboys

Cold Chisel

Jimmy Barnes

The Angels

Baby Animals

Noiseworks.. i dont really care for. Hot chilli woman is great though.

Choirboys i love. Underrated band on this board. One of my fave bands.

Cold chisel. Get the greatest hits album. Its great.

Jimmy Barnes. Dont own any of his stuff. Might if i saw it cheap. Not a priority.

The Angels - couldnt care less.

Baby Animals. Debut is a must. 2nd defines crap.

1927 - one of the first bands i listened to and one of the reasons im here. Love all their stuff. Ignore the crap greatest hits album though.

Choirboys Underrated band on this board.

Agreeed.

If they looked like a hair band the 'Big Bad Nosie' disc would be more highly sought after. Their image sorta held them back I thought, although BBN (along with BJ New jersey) was the album of my youth.

I love Noiseworks first 2 discs, 'Touch' especially is a absolutely brilliant.

Jon Stevens was actually on the short-list for the vacant van halen vocals position a few years back. Was beaten out by Gary Cherone.

At the time I thought stevens would have been a better choice, although after hearing the album it's probably a good idea that he didn't put his name to that steaming heap.

Agreeed.

If they looked like a hair band the 'Big Bad Nosie' disc would be more highly sought after. Their image sorta held them back I thought, although BBN (along with BJ New jersey) was the album of my youth.

Have you got all their stuff?

Im just missing the Live album/ep, the acoustic album, and the covers album... but ive got all the studio stuff and love it all.

Agreeed.

Im just missing the Live album/ep, the acoustic album, and the covers album... but ive got all the studio stuff and love it all.

I think I've got about 4 albums... BBN, Midnight Sun, YoYo(?), and the acoustic album.

Agreeed.

I think I've got about 4 albums... BBN, Midnight Sun, YoYo(?), and the acoustic album.

The s/t i think youd like... bit more stripped back rawness.. maybe even "slight" punkness in some songs. Theres 2 versions of Dancing on the grave of rock n roll - "the unreleased album"... now released twice. Evolver is quite commerical, but still nice. A lot of folks around here would like it.

Noiseworks: Love 'em. As Jez already pointed out, especially the first 2 discs.

Choirboys: I only have the Big Bad Noise disc and that's a great album. Don't know 'bout the rest...

Cold Chisel: Pretty good. I especially love the Jimmy Barnes' Freight Train Heart. I'm with Jez on that one.

Jimmy Barnes: Pretty good here and there. The Freight Train Heart is a killer.

The Angels: I haven't really heard them enough to make an opinion.

Baby Animals: I had the two releases a long time ago but got rid of them. Don't really know why 'cause the debut was pretty decent.

1927: I never really got into their music. Maybe I should hear their releases again....

Noiseworks - 'Take me back' is one of my all-time fave songs. I still haven't heard 'Touch' but of the other discs they're okay, nothing more.

Choirboys - With assistance from Matt I did hear 'Midnight sun' and it was really good. Made me want to hear the rest of their stuff, but I just never see them for cheap anymore. When I do I'll pick them all up.

Cold Chisel - Not into them at all. Yeah, really don't like them.

Jimmy Barnes - Had some nice songs like 'Second chance' but none of his whole albums are any good. Better than Chisel, but still not a fan.

The Angels - Awful. Hate these guys.

Baby Animals - As everyone has noted, good debut but crap second disc.

1927 - Excellent debut which I still love, but the other two are crap, imo.

I'm surprised the Angels are getting the cold shoulder on here. As "Angel City" here in the States, they never really caught on, but still, their US releases "Face to Face" and "Darkroom" are high-end, pub-band type rock and roll staples. I love 'em.

I'm surprised the Angels are getting the cold shoulder on here. As "Angel City" here in the States, they never really caught on, but still, their US releases "Face to Face" and "Darkroom" are high-end, pub-band type rock and roll staples. I love 'em.

Backed on that Jimbo. As I said above, the Aussie version of 'Beyond Salvation' is a really great disc amongst the other notable ones you mention. The 'Liveline' live disc kicks ass aswell. I saw them supporting Cheap Trick on the 'All Shook Up Tour' and they were great live,even as support band. Guess you have to be a non Aussie to appreciate them.

Backed on that Jimbo. As I said above, the Aussie version of 'Beyond Salvation' is a really great disc amongst the other notable ones you mention. The 'Liveline' live disc kicks ass aswell. I saw them supporting Cheap Trick on the 'All Shook Up Tour' and they were great live,even as support band. Guess you have to be a non Aussie to appreciate them.

I was a bit of a fan in the Beyond Salvation / Liveline days.

I saw the other day a few releases on dvd of some really old stuff of theirs actually.

Noiseworks - 'Take me back' is one of my all-time fave songs. I still haven't heard 'Touch' but of the other discs they're okay, nothing more.

You still haven't heard "Touch" mate? :unsure: Do yourself a big favour: get it. Killer disc with a few exceptions: Home and I Can't Win are pretty boring and the last track, In My Youth, blows big time.

How great are Touch, Chained, Tell It Like It Is, Keep Me Running, Live And Die to name a few :banger:

Melodic rock of the highest order. Right Jez?

You still haven't heard "Touch" mate? :unsure: Do yourself a big favour: get it. Killer disc with a few exceptions: Home and I Can't Win are pretty boring and the last track, In My Youth, blows big time.

How great are Touch, Chained, Tell It Like It Is, Keep Me Running, Live And Die to name a few :banger:

Yeah, this and the Choirboys discs are on my radar, but usually if I do see them they're a couple more dollars than I hope/plan to spend on them. One day, though, they will be mine.

Correct-a-bloody-mundo my friend. My fave is the brilliant 'Tell It Like It Is', but all the others you mention are great aswell.

''Reach Out, reach out, reach out and touch somebody'' :headbanger:

Cold Chisel I like quite a bit :tumbsup:

Jimmy Barnes is excellent, one of my favourite vocalists, Freight Train Heart and Two Fires are his best 2 solo albums, pretty much like all his solo stuff :tumbsup:

Can I mention one of my all time favourite bands - Little River Band, not everyone`s cup of tea but some great songs, First Under the Wire and Time Exposure being a couple of really good Glen Shorrock era albums and The Net being a really good John Farnham era album :tumbsup:

And don't forget the mighty Rose Tattoo aswell.

So True!!

Here are some of my faves:

THE ANGELS-GREAT, GREAT band!! :tumbsup::tumbsup::tumbsup:

THE CHOIRBOYS-I only have the first album, but AWESOME!! :tumbsup:

SCREAMING JETS-Very underated

KINGS OF THE SUN-GREAT BAND! An excellent live band as well!!

COLD CHISEL-Don't have anything from them, but would love to :crying:

ROSE TATTOO-JEZ said it best

MOVING PICTURES-A little light, but fantastic as well

AIRBOURNE-AAAARRRRGGGGGHHHHHH! :banger:

MORTAL SIN-Bay area thrash from down under :banger::banger: R. SOLES is a funny song :lol:

BABY ANIMALS-Another underated band. I'm still in love with SUZE

Sorry if my knowledge of bands from OZ is limited, but I can listen to these bands all day long.

Must admit, only two bands on that list that I have heard, never impressed me.

1927 I didnt even realise were considered a rock band, as the only song by them I ever heard was "Thats when I think of you). To be honest they didnt sound any heavier than the far superior Mental As Anything, to me!

Baby Animals I bought both their albums at the same time, as there was lotsa hype in the Brit press.

Didnt like either of them particulary, so traded em both.

Cant say they were bad per se, but they were far from essential listening. (same can be said of the Screaming Jets)

Now give me bands like Rose Tattoo, AC/DC, BB Steal, Cyclone Tracy, The Poor & Airbourne, and I am a happy man!

• 8 years later...

Mental as Anything (Live It Up), great song from one of the best 80's movies!

here is some of my other Aussie and New Zeland 80's pop favorites

Sharon O'Neill - Losing You

Icehouse - Crazy

Midnight Oil - Beds Are Burning

Men At Work - Who Can It Be Now

Real Life - Send me an angel

QED - Everywhere I Go

Icehouse - Crazy

Sensational tune. Nothing wrong with some Icehouse:

And the gem in question;