Silly Fools (band from Thailand)

Geoff

Ok listening to this now...

And yes Geoff this is very nice indeed. Maybe not quite as nice as what you make out, but very nice.

The solos are fantastic and are totally Pete Lesperance! I can now see why you said it has that 7th heaven vibe to some tracks. One of my problems is i wish the choruses were bigger.. cos they just seem to be the singer singing with a bit more grunt... need a few more hooks and backing vocals.

Another thing... the music itself has a really strong modern CCM vibe to it. theres just something about it.

Yeah, I do agree with you about the backing vocals for sure. I am impressed that to me it still sounds excellent with just the one dude, but yeah, with a full banquet of backing vocals it would be better. I can fogive this, though, as I have a feeling this album was played by a full non-English speaking band and that the singer is actually a hired Korean guy, like on the EP. So they may not have the facilities to have a full English backing vocal arrangement. Just loving these songs though...

Spun this again yesterday, and its still good, but i got bored towards the end.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok listening to this now...

And yes Geoff this is very nice indeed. Maybe not quite as nice as what you make out, but very nice.

The solos are fantastic and are totally Pete Lesperance! I can now see why you said it has that 7th heaven vibe to some tracks. One of my problems is i wish the choruses were bigger.. cos they just seem to be the singer singing with a bit more grunt... need a few more hooks and backing vocals.

Another thing... the music itself has a really strong modern CCM vibe to it. theres just something about it.

Yeah, I do agree with you about the backing vocals for sure. I am impressed that to me it still sounds excellent with just the one dude, but yeah, with a full banquet of backing vocals it would be better. I can fogive this, though, as I have a feeling this album was played by a full non-English speaking band and that the singer is actually a hired Korean guy, like on the EP. So they may not have the facilities to have a full English backing vocal arrangement. Just loving these songs though...

Spun this again yesterday, and its still good, but i got bored towards the end.

Tracks 8 and 9 are arguably the best on the disc... imo.

• 5 weeks later...

I think Justin and I were the only chaps to really get into these guys and I still haven't found this for an affordable price anywhere... but it's back in stock at eThaiCD. Still completely unaffordable at us$29 but it looks like the only way one can obtain the English version of this CD is to buy this whole "box set" which includes both the English and Thai version of the CD, plus a DVD and 'booklet'.

http://www.ethaicd.com/show.php?pid=38234

Shame... 'cause I still really want this one.

For the record, these guys were kind enough to refund me that last purchase I made, and let me know when this came in stock too. Shame the English CD isn't for sale by itself. :(

IF it was decent priced id definately get a copy/.

Can you please use your internet skills to find a well priced copy for us?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest LowTar

Just to make things a little clearer:

The English songs of the THE ONE have been available only as a Limited Edition package, containing a DVD with the whole album as Karaoke-Videos, a 30-min.-Making-Of-Video, a keychain and 2 Audio-CDs, one with the English version of the songs and the other with the original Thai Version. This box was officially soldout a week after the release in March 2008.

The English songs are although available via iTunes.

The singer, Benjamin Jung Tuffnell, is not a hired Korean, he is an American citizen, born in Korea, adoptedby an US-couple and raised in Chicago. He is living in Thailand for some years now and replaced the former singer Toe, who left the band, because his islamic belief didn't allow him to perform in places where alcohol is consumed ... no further comment to that ;)

Ben participates in writing songs since he joined the band in 2007 and has released 2 CDs with the band so far (the EP "Mini" and the CD "The One"). He did the vocals on the English version as well as on the original Thai edition. The English version was originally only planned as a gimmick for the hardcore SF-Fans, everybody was surprised by the success.

At the moment the band is in the studios to record the follow-up of THE ONE, which will hopefully be released by the summer of 2009. There are no fixed plans yet to release an English version as CD,but allsongs will be recorded in both English and Thai language versions and should be available via iTunes, too,as soon as the record is released. Check it out!

HopeI could help you all with these informations.

Keep rockin' !!!

:guitbannana:

Just to make things a little clearer:

The English songs of the THE ONE have been available only as a Limited Edition package, containing a DVD with the whole album as Karaoke-Videos, a 30-min.-Making-Of-Video, a keychain and 2 Audio-CDs, one with the English version of the songs and the other with the original Thai Version. This box was officially soldout a week after the release in March 2008.

The English songs are although available via iTunes.

The singer, Benjamin Jung Tuffnell, is not a hired Korean, he is an American citizen, born in Korea, adoptedby an US-couple and raised in Chicago. He is living in Thailand for some years now and replaced the former singer Toe, who left the band, because his islamic belief didn't allow him to perform in places where alcohol is consumed ... no further comment to that ;)

Ben participates in writing songs since he joined the band in 2007 and has released 2 CDs with the band so far (the EP "Mini" and the CD "The One"). He did the vocals on the English version as well as on the original Thai edition. The English version was originally only planned as a gimmick for the hardcore SF-Fans, everybody was surprised by the success.

At the moment the band is in the studios to record the follow-up of THE ONE, which will hopefully be released by the summer of 2009. There are no fixed plans yet to release an English version as CD,but allsongs will be recorded in both English and Thai language versions and should be available via iTunes, too,as soon as the record is released. Check it out!

HopeI could help you all with these informations.

Keep rockin' !!!

:guitbannana:

Cool, thanks for the info!! This is a great band, no doubt.

I don't know how close you are too the band, but maybe when the new CD is released there should be a double English CD available with the new album and 'The One' both in English? That would be very awesome.

• 2 months later...

Well, a very interesting recent development. Just checked over at the site they're selling this and they've actually cut the price quite a lot:

us$20.50, with free worldwide shipping. That equals au$25.60. If I wasn't poverty striken I would get this now. I will work up the courage to do it anyway I think...

EDIT! Just did it. I ordered because when I went to checkout it actually went down to us$19.48 (I guess minus some Thai taxes?) so I ended up paying au$24.33. If I'd seen it in a shop for that price for that I'd have snapped it up for sure. I'm happy, this was a CD I really want in my collection. :)

Well, a very interesting recent development. Just checked over at the site they're selling this and they've actually cut the price quite a lot:

us$20.50, with free worldwide shipping. That equals au$25.60. If I wasn't poverty striken I would get this now. I will work up the courage to do it anyway I think...

EDIT! Just did it. I ordered because when I went to checkout it actually went down to us$19.48 (I guess minus some Thai taxes?) so I ended up paying au$24.33. If I'd seen it in a shop for that price for that I'd have snapped it up for sure. I'm happy, this was a CD I really want in my collection. :)

IF it was cheaper id get this..

IF it was cheaper id get this..

If you can be bothered, keep an eye on the site. I bet it still goes down in price. I'm just impatient and don't want it to sell out again.

Cool, thanks for the update! I'll pick one up.

are there discounts for multiple cd's?

Yeah they have a discount special on ATM up to 20% off depending on the cost of your order. Small orders get a much smaller discount.

Yeah they have a discount special on ATM up to 20% off depending on the cost of your order. Small orders get a much smaller discount.

Holy shit. Really? What else would you buy from there, though? Shit, I wish I'd looked at the other Silly Fools English EP.

If anyone's looking to order and look for the discount I'd pick this up too:

http://www.ethaicd.com/show.php?pid=29221

The EP is not as good as 'The One' but if you can get a discount it'd be well worth it.

Man, if you don't mind foreign languages, their CDs are pretty freakin' affordable. And so are the DVDs.

Holy shit. Really? What else would you buy from there, though? Shit, I wish I'd looked at the other Silly Fools English EP.

My thoughts exactly - what else would I want to buy from an on-line Thai record store? Probably not much.

My thoughts exactly - what else would I want to buy from an on-line Thai record store? Probably not much.

a bride?

a bride?

:lol:

Another interesting development. I have gone really stupid this month with a heap of CD purchases (it's amazing what bargains you find if you have a bit of a look around!!! But also amazing how quick it all adds up, especially with postage) so I was checking my credit card account online today, and this transaction went through at au$19.30!!!

Did you get charged the same, Justin?

Another interesting development. I have gone really stupid this month with a heap of CD purchases (it's amazing what bargains you find if you have a bit of a look around!!! But also amazing how quick it all adds up, especially with postage) so I was checking my credit card account online today, and this transaction went through at au$19.30!!!

Nah, mine came to AUD $24.95 :angry:

My copy of Silly Fools - The One Ltd. Ed. arrived today. A very nice package for the price. Haven't played it yet but looking forward to hearing all these songs again.

Poor bastard. ;)

Mine came too. Holy shit mate, what a package! :lol: If I lose my house from buying too many CDs I can live in the packaging for this CD! :lol: They must be the richest most popular band in Thailand to afford a package like that. Amazing.

Poor bastard. ;)

Mine came too. Holy shit mate, what a package! :lol: If I lose my house from buying too many CDs I can live in the packaging for this CD! :lol: They must be the richest most popular band in Thailand to afford a package like that. Amazing.

Yeah I got home yesterday and saw this box the size of a shoe box siting on the table, then in the contents it says "contains 1 CD". Those people that hate digipacks because they can't put them in a normal CD rack would really hate this.

Yeah, it was a huge box and I was wondering how the hell it was going to fill out, but it did. The other thing I noticed was that the postage cost about 300 Baht, which from my time in Thailand I know converts to about au$4, so it looks like they have some decent postage costs from Thailand too. Especially for a package that size.

Did you have string tied around your box too, instead of tape anywhere? Good times. Cute little Thai's.