The perfect melodic rock song

Glen

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

& whilst we're at it.......

BJ - Born To Be My Baby

(BJ's finest moment?? esp the end of the song).

Decent choice, but I like "Living In Sin" more. And probably "In These Arms" too....

'Living In Sin' is good, but too laid back.

'In These Arms' is way up there - def top 10 (BJ that is)....poss even top 5. Also there is 'Runaway' and one of my favs 'Come Back' (although quite a lot would probably disagree with this choice its always been one of my favourite songs).

"Living In Sin" has laid-back verses but an up-tempo chorus. "Wild is the Wind" is another one right up there, from that album. Actually the JAP bonus tune on "These Days" called "Starting All Over Again" (which was on the 10m fans collection) is also one of their best ever songs IMO....

'In these arms', 'Edge of a broken heart', 'Without love' and 'Shot through the heart' (NOT 'You give love a bad name') would probably be my fave Bon Jovi songs. With 'Wild is the wind' and 'Born to be my baby' are not far behind.

I'd add another....

TYKETTO - "Burning Down Inside"

(Anyone who says "Forever Young" or "Wings" are better is utterly wrong :lol: )

HAHAHAHA! Wrong people calling right people wrong is great! 'Burning down inside' is a great song... for people who like to hear choruses f*cking butchered by f*cked up drumming. They did the same with 'Meet me in the night'. Both songs would have been as good as 'Forever young' and 'Wings' if the drums weren't so f*cked in the chorus. Both choruses are 100% the reason I hate punk.

I'd add another....

HAHAHAHA! Wrong people calling right people wrong is great! 'Burning down inside' is a great song... for people who like to hear choruses f*cking butchered by f*cked up drumming. They did the same with 'Meet me in the night'. Both songs would have been as good as 'Forever young' and 'Wings' if the drums weren't so f*cked in the chorus. Both choruses are 100% the reason I hate punk.

That's true, but then Harem Scarem ruin every chorus with a ridiculous snare sound (way too high in the mix) too. Listen to the best tracks on "Human Nature" for proof. That doesn't make them bad songs though. I love "Burning Down Inside" because of the lyrics plus the fact it's more melodic, & the only song with keyboards in the foreground, but I can take or leave every other song on that album (though the first 3 tracks are clearly the highlight)....

I'd add another....

That's true, but then Harem Scarem ruin every chorus with a ridiculous snare sound (way too high in the mix) too. Listen to the best tracks on "Human Nature" for proof. That doesn't make them bad songs though. I love "Burning Down Inside" because of the lyrics plus the fact it's more melodic, & the only song with keyboards in the foreground, but I can take or leave every other song on that album (though the first 3 tracks are clearly the highlight)....

'Forever Young' is my fav.......Wings and that are good as well, but its not until you see them live that you realise that 'Forever Young' pretty much kills every other track theyve ever recorded. Probably one of THE best songs ive seen live. :bowdown:

I'd add another....

'Forever Young' is my fav.......Wings and that are good as well, but its not until you see them live that you realise that 'Forever Young' pretty much kills every other track theyve ever recorded. Probably one of THE best songs ive seen live. :bowdown:

Simply stunning song. I agree those 3 are the best and the rest of that debut sucks EXCEPT let us not forget 'Standing alone'. Great ballad. 4th in line, but a good song.

I'd add another....

the rest of that debut sucks

slightly harsh LOL!

I must admit that the song 'Walk On Fire' is excellent - especially the beginning.

I can think of a few:

"If There Was A Time" - Harem Scarem

"Don't Stop Believin'" - Journey

"Wings" - Tyketto

"I'll Be There For You" - Bon Jovi

"Without A Moment's Notice" - Adriangale

"Animal" - Def Leppard

"Photograph" - Def Leppard

"Sing Me Away" - Night Ranger

"Be Good To Yourself" - Journey

"Only The Young" - Journey

These are the ones that come automatically off the top of my head when I read the question for this post!

Sic Vikki - Stop Breaking My Broken Heart

- Her Body Compliments The Beat

Blue Tears - Crush

Von Groove - Chameleon

Hitman - Partners In Crime

Winger - Without The Night

Jet Red - Take Me Tonight

Jaded Heart - Dreams You'll Never See

House Of Lords - Oh Father

Excalibur - Waiting

Emerald Rain - Don't Tell The Rain.......

And On, And On, And On, And On!!!!

These are just the automatics! thats usually how I go With Things, my first thoughts are usually the right ones?

Blue Tears - Crush

:lol: To me that's the only filler on an otherwise flawless disc. 'Blue Tears' is actually abaout as perfect as a melodic hard rock ballad ever gets. 'Rockin' with the radio' and 'Thunder in the night' are perfect hard rockers too.

Von Groove - Chameleon

Not a fan of this song, but I would put both 'House of dreams' and 'Sweet pain' on the list of perfect melodic rock songs.

XYZ - Souvenirs

L.A. Guns - Ballad of Jayne

Enuff Z'nuff - Mary Anne Lost Her Baby

Unruly Child - To Be Your Everything

Big-time backed. My all-time favorite pure melodic rock song.

(Hey, Jim, we agree on something! Well, actually, this make two things we agree on, because while we haven't discussed it, I'm pretty sure we both also agree that Geoff is a tool.)

I agree on that one too and now that I think about it this might be one of the only things we've ever agreed on. :lol:

I agree on that one too and now that I think about it this might be one of the only things we've ever agreed on. :lol:

... but 'Who cries now' is better. :)

Honestly the whole damn album is excellent and could almost every song could be mentioned in this thread as could the Signal release IMO.

Honestly the whole damn album is excellent and could almost every song could be mentioned in this thread as could the Signal release IMO.

Yeah, backed. Two killer discs. 'Arms of a stranger' is actually a song I would definitely put in this thread now that you mention it. I think there was one song off the Unruly Child I didn't like, though. Something about a long haired woman or something...

I can think of a few:

"Don't Stop Believin'" - Journey

"Photograph" - Def Leppard

"Sing Me Away" - Night Ranger

3 great ones there Shawn.

I would also add:

'Jane - Jefferson Starship

'Slowly Slipping Away' - Harem Scarem

'Ask The Lonely' - Journey

'Hold The Line - Toto

Yeah, backed. Two killer discs. 'Arms of a stranger' is actually a song I would definitely put in this thread now that you mention it. I think there was one song off the Unruly Child I didn't like, though. Something about a long haired woman or something...

Yep, "Arms of a Stranger" is perfect - even better than "Who Cries Now" IMO. I guess I always thought "To Be Your Everything" was a ballad so didn't really count in this thread, though it is amazing....

I'd add another....

TOTO - "Only the Children" (from "The Seventh One")

Yep, "Arms of a Stranger" is perfect - even better than "Who Cries Now" IMO. I guess I always thought "To Be Your Everything" was a ballad so didn't really count in this thread, though it is amazing....

I'd add another....

TOTO - "Only the Children" (from "The Seventh One")

Yep, great song, although the chorus does go on a bit at the end....but they make up for it with a killer closing solo.

I'll add another -

PREVIEW - Red Lights :bowdown:

Seeing as perfection is a matter of personal taste, what an individual likes is perfect to their own ears. There are loads of great songs out there, but to label them perfect for everyone's ears is not feasible. We could all rattle off a pile of tracks and get mixed reviews on every one. One man's perfect is another man's pile of steaming turds.

No, No, no, no! Geoff! goddamn it!!! Who Cries Now is a filler stealer, it was added at the last minute when Mark threw a temper tantrum because they put Jay's songs on the album and not his! so they decided they would cut a few songs out and put that one on, (the end) well shit hit the fan over that also, Marks agent said "if you don't track it in the first 6 songs, We refuse to use any songs, and do not authorize the use of our vocals" so that's how it got on the album, if you want a REAL song off this album the only way to go is When Love Is Gone!! now that's the only true song on their! some songs I forgot!

Aces Wild - Satisfy You

Mozart - Japan Is Calling

Alyson Avenue - It's In Your Eyes

Melidian - Fire Up The Heart

Marchello - What If

Saraya - When You See Me Again

Xyz - When I Find Love

Face Down In The Gutter

Hardline - Cant Find My Way

Southgang - Fire In Your Body

Britney Fox - Closer To Your Love

Nickleback - Getting Reached Around

Killer Dwarfs - All That We Dream

Omen - Thorn In Your Flesh

The Poor - More Wine Waiter

Bengal Tigers - In One Ear

Poison - Fire & Ice (until you suffer some)

Wham - Wake Me Up

Skrap Metal - That Load

Fee Waybill - I Couldve Been Somebody

Unruly Child - Anything off S/T(accept Who Cries Now)!!!

and last but not least

Michael Bolton - Anything he does is pretty ok with me, though I prefer his cover versions,

Wham - Wake Me Up

:unsure: