concerts

rickinmd

Dokken are (supposed to be) playing the 'Ramblin' Man' festival in Kent in the summer ... but at £90 a ticket, it's too rich for my blood ...

Plus the rest of the line up is pretty weak imo

That, too ... after last year's line-up, it's a big let-down ...

Not content with two days, the organisers have added a third ... Saxon are headlining ... Last In Line are confirmed to appear on Friday, as is Graham Bonnet ...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Exodus are taking time out from the Festival circuit to play a show in sunny Southend in June ... about a 15-minute drive from where I live ... it would be rude not to go ;)

Dan Baird and Homemade Sin are also playing locally in June ... it's tempting ...

Michael Schenker is playing London in November with his former bandmates Gary Barden, Graham Bonnet and Robin MacAuley ... it's tempting ...

Michael Schenker is playing London in November with his former bandmates Gary Barden, Graham Bonnet and Robin MacAuley ... it's tempting ...

When and what venue?

When and what venue?

November 2nd ... Shepherd's Bush Empire ... tickets start at about £40.00 ...

When and what venue?

November 2nd ... Shepherd's Bush Empire ... tickets start at about £40.00 ...

Mmmm, shame it's a Thursday.

Saw Journey & Asia on March 16th in Spokane. One of the more disappointing shows I've ever seen.

Asia - musically, they were great. Carl Palmer was on fire and the rest of the band was basically tight. Billy Sherwood on vocals... not so much. Decent on a couple songs, like "Sole Survivor", but struggled on anything with high notes and mangled lyrics on multiple songs despite having them on an iPad in front of him. Overall a letdown from what I'd hoped for buying the tickets but not much you can do when an icon dies.

Journey - I love Arnel. He was great in 2008 and love their first album with him. Somehow he aged 15 years in reverse and looks great. But on this night? The sound was incredibly bad. Distorted, echo-y and just a total mess. Somehow, despite being incredibly loud, Arnel was impossible to hear at times. Heck, the vocals even clipped a couple times. One highlight was an amazing drum solo from Steve Smith.

All in all, not a great night for $200.

Saw Journey & Asia on March 16th in Spokane. One of the more disappointing shows I've ever seen.

Asia - musically, they were great. Carl Palmer was on fire and the rest of the band was basically tight. Billy Sherwood on vocals... not so much. Decent on a couple songs, like "Sole Survivor", but struggled on anything with high notes and mangled lyrics on multiple songs despite having them on an iPad in front of him. Overall a letdown from what I'd hoped for buying the tickets but not much you can do when an icon dies.

Journey - I love Arnel. He was great in 2008 and love their first album with him. Somehow he aged 15 years in reverse and looks great. But on this night? The sound was incredibly bad. Distorted, echo-y and just a total mess. Somehow, despite being incredibly loud, Arnel was impossible to hear at times. Heck, the vocals even clipped a couple times. One highlight was an amazing drum solo from Steve Smith.

All in all, not a great night for $200.

$200 !!!! WTF.

I wouldn't pay $20 to see Journey now - I can honestly relate to your comments on the sound - this was my major issue with the last show I saw from them about 5 yrs ago - just a wall of echoes/sound. Not good.

• My Little Pony

Damn!! $200?? This is why I ignore a lot of big name bands playing in stadiums. I'd rather see a show in a club for under $40.

Damn!! $200?? This is why I ignore a lot of big name bands playing in stadiums. I'd rather see a show in a club for under $40.

Way under $40 preferably!!

I think Eclipse/One Desire was about £15.............

• My Little Pony

Way under $40 preferably!!

I think Eclipse/One Desire was about £15.............

In Vancouver everything is expensive. But most shows I go to are between $12-40.

Argh, knew I should've been clearer. It was $200 because I took my wife ;) Still $100 a seat for 16th row floor seats, dead center. I think it was like $83 face value and about $18 a ticket in fees.

I actually had strongly considered paying a lot more to get the VIP package so I could meet Asia. Held off on that and, callous as it might be to say, am glad I did as John Wetton was the one guy I wanted to meet.

Back from FM's gig in Athens.

Plane tickets : $65

Gig ticket: $22

bus from airport-gig venue and back to airport : $12

3 t-shirts : $60

champagne : $150

jacks: $ 40

Value For Money: priceless

Extra: Met the band in the airport for approximately one hour

Went to see The Bootleg Beatles on Friday ... they were superb ... 'John Lennon', in particular, was right on the money ...

• 3 weeks later...

Recently I took my dad to see a tribute band called Bostyx for his birthday. They are lead by David Victor who some may be familiar with from his solo album or his time with the band Velocity back in the 90's. I wasn't aware that he had actually toured with the band Boston as well, but I could see why as his vocal style fit really well with the songs. It was an intimate, acoustic set at a small venue just a few minutes from where I live. As much as I enjoyed the performance itself, getting to spend the evening with my father, who had a major influence on my musical tastes growing up, made it as memorable of a concert as I've been to in a long time.

• My Little Pony

Recently I took my dad to see a tribute band called Bostyx for his birthday. They are lead by David Victor who some may be familiar with from his solo album or his time with the band Velocity back in the 90's. I wasn't aware that he had actually toured with the band Boston as well, but I could see why as his vocal style fit really well with the songs. It was an intimate, acoustic set at a small venue just a few minutes from where I live. As much as I enjoyed the performance itself, getting to spend the evening with my father, who had a major influence on my musical tastes growing up, made it as memorable of a concert as I've been to in a long time.

Yup, it's always really cool to go to concerts with my dad. Lately, it's bands like Hall & Oates and Tower of Power that we go to, but I'm hoping that proposed Genesis reunion tour comes to my town, and I'll definitely take him.