Soil: "Scars"

metalmaniac777

Despite being released years ago (2001, I believe), this CD somehow slipped under my radar until recently when I picked up a copy, put in the player, and proceeded to have my jaw hit the dirt as the powerful guitars, in-yer-face aggression, thick production, and slamming riffs punched into my eardrums. Fans of Disturbed's last two albums should eat this up, though I think Soil goes a little bit heavier with their sound. I haven't bothered digging up links because this CD has been out so long that samples are a cinch to find (Amazon.com, CDUniverse, etc.).

I'm well aware this isn't going to be everyone's cup of tea, but anyone who dabbles in the modern hard rock/metal realm and who appreciates some serious crunch & attitude should definitely check this one out.

Used to be a big fan of this band but haven't listened for quite a while........loved 'Throttle Junkies' & 'Scars'...wasn't impressed with 'Redefine' and as a result never picked up 'True Self'....of course my tastes were changing at this time too and could have affected my thinking....I would definitely recommend TJ if you don't have it...

Used to be a big fan of this band but haven't listened for quite a while......loved 'Throttle Junkies' & 'Scars'......I would definitely recommend TJ if you don't have it.

Well, at least I'm not the only one who likes 'em, so I no longer feel out of place like a naked man with a hard-on in a convent. As I just picked up "Scars," I haven't gotten around to checking out their other CDs, so I'll take your advice and start with "Throttle Junkies" next. The only thing that has me nervous about that album is that some of the reviews out there say the production is of the demo variety, and I'm a stickler for good production.

Used to be a big fan of this band but haven't listened for quite a while......loved 'Throttle Junkies' & 'Scars'......I would definitely recommend TJ if you don't have it.

Well, at least I'm not the only one who likes 'em, so I no longer feel out of place like a naked man with a hard-on in a convent. As I just picked up "Scars," I haven't gotten around to checking out their other CDs, so I'll take your advice and start with "Throttle Junkies" next. The only thing that has me nervous about that album is that some of the reviews out there say the production is of the demo variety, and I'm a stickler for good production.

I didn't notice a poor production on TJ but then if I like a release I'm more forgiving of the production.....if the production is really bad then I usually can't get into it....

Yeah cool band. I have "Scars" too, which is a good disc, I actually like 'em more than Disturbed as they at least vary things a little whereas Disturbed albums are a little one-dimensional...

• 2 weeks later...
Used to be a big fan of this band but haven't listened for quite a while......never picked up 'True Self'...

I listened to "True Self" the other day at FYE at one of those sampling stations they have in the store now and while it wasn't as good as "Scars," it didn't sound bad at all. In the end, I wound up buying The Showdown: "Chorus of Obliteration" instead, since that one was on sale ($11.99 vs. $18.99...yep, I'm all about pinching pennies), but I'll definitely pick up "True Self" somewhere along the way.