Newman - 'Decade'

Geoff

Aside from Jez's mention of this in the 'First Spins' thread I'm not sure I've seen this mentioned here at all. Which is a crime.

A few years ago Frontline delivered 'Almost unreleased', which if I recall correctly, was better than most if not all the new releases that year. Well, along with Frontline, Newman are one of my top melodic rock bands and they are not to be outdone here. This is brilliant. Of course, I speak of disc 2, which is all previously unreleased material, totaling 14 "new" tracks!!!

And the quality is excellent. There's no need to beat around the bush - this thing absolutely MURDERS 'Primitive Soul', which is their weakest hour. But more than that, it is right up with the best album they have ever released. Songs like 'Coming home tonight', 'Life after love', 'Tell it to my heart', 'Can you hear me now', 'Don't ever say forever' and 'World comes down' - for starters - are honestly as good as the best I've heard from Newman, which is pure excellence. Seriously, how these tracks are sitting here as previously unreleased is completely mind-blowing to me. The majority of bands in the genre today would kill for songs this good.

Anyway, this is easily a top 5 finisher for me this year. Absolutely freakin' excellent. Again.

Aside from Jez's mention of this in the 'First Spins' thread I'm not sure I've seen this mentioned here at all. Which is a crime.

A few years ago Frontline delivered 'Almost unreleased', which if I recall correctly, was better than most if not all the new releases that year. Well, along with Frontline, Newman are one of my top melodic rock bands and they are not to be outdone here. This is brilliant. Of course, I speak of disc 2, which is all previously unreleased material, totaling 14 "new" tracks!!!

And the quality is excellent. There's no need to beat around the bush - this thing absolutely MURDERS 'Primitive Soul', which is their weakest hour. But more than that, it is right up with the best album they have ever released. Songs like 'Coming home tonight', 'Life after love', 'Tell it to my heart', 'Can you hear me now', 'Don't ever say forever' and 'World comes down' - for starters - are honestly as good as the best I've heard from Newman, which is pure excellence. Seriously, how these tracks are sitting here as previously unreleased is completely mind-blowing to me. The majority of bands in the genre today would kill for songs this good.

Anyway, this is easily a top 5 finisher for me this year. Absolutely freakin' excellent. Again.

Great to hear, Geoff !! I will make sure it is on my looooooooong list. I LOVE Newman !

:drink:

superb, incredibly accurate review.. words from an "almost there" true master!

i only wish i took the cd cover with me to firefest this year for steve to sign it like he's done with my other newman cd covers.

i only wish i took the cd cover with me to firefest this year for steve to sign it like he's done with my other newman cd covers.

Aw shucks. Group hug. Thanks mate.

Great to hear, Geoff !! I will make sure it is on my looooooooong list. I LOVE Newman !

Yeah, it's a must, mate. I think even Jez and I will agree on this one. :lol:

Told ya it was good !! :tumbsup:

Told ya it was good !! :tumbsup:

Shit i had it in my hand at Firefest as well. was only a tenner.

many have to seek this one out.

Damn, I thought this was just a greatest hits release....now I'll have to track it down.....

Haha... yeah, got to thank Jez for that because I thought the same too... hence my delayed listening. :(