Take That - Rule The World

Faron

Okay, so finally gave the tune a spin anyway. Not bad, I guess. It is boy-bandish, but a nice enough song.

Put it this way....if this song had been recorded and sung by say JSS or Harem Scarem (imagine Hess singing it!) we would all be hailing it as the best thing since sliced bread.

Truth.

That could be said about a billion songs.

Sorry mate but I dont agree - most pop songs would still sound shite even if someone 'God-like' like Hess was singing them.

Whereas this is an excellent ballad with a superb melody in the chorus.....the sort of song Hess would shine on.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I actually kinda like this song too. In fact most of their tunes (since the comeback) have been pretty decent. I wouldn't buy them - who needs to when they're on the radio so much. I'd also say that us Brit's usually knock our own artists rather than get behind them, so it's cool that people actually give credit where it's due.

Whoever above (was probably Geoff) mentioned Outside Edge as a 'classic AOR' band is clearly mad. They are British too - and absolutely suck IMO. Like a poor mans Dare or Heartland. Their record deal with Virgin lasted until Virgin realised they couldn't write songs or play (their 1989 gig at London's Marquee proved this) & after pissing away all their expenses they got dropped so they reformed their old band.

Okay, so finally gave the tune a spin anyway. Not bad, I guess. It is boy-bandish, but a nice enough song.

Put it this way....if this song had been recorded and sung by say JSS or Harem Scarem (imagine Hess singing it!) we would all be hailing it as the best thing since sliced bread.

Truth.

That could be said about a billion songs.

Sorry mate but I dont agree - most pop songs would still sound shite even if someone 'God-like' like Hess was singing them.

Whereas this is an excellent ballad with a superb melody in the chorus.....the sort of song Hess would shine on.

Mate, I would bet my balls that Harem Scarem could make any complete Backstreet Boys album - song for song - sound awesome. Or Westlife, or any other boyband that shovels out ballad after ballad - not one of those poofter dancey kind of ones like N*Synch of 5ive... just the soft-cock ballad ones. Any melodic hard rock band could make them awesome.

Look at 'Larger than life'. Hell as a Backstreet Boy song - delicious as a Jaded Heart song. Or the Euthenasia one Jaded Heart covered too - 'Held my head up high, knew I'd survive' etc.

I actually kinda like this song too. In fact most of their tunes (since the comeback) have been pretty decent. I wouldn't buy them - who needs to when they're on the radio so much. I'd also say that us Brit's usually knock our own artists rather than get behind them, so it's cool that people actually give credit where it's due.

Whoever above (was probably Geoff) mentioned Outside Edge as a 'classic AOR' band is clearly mad. They are British too - and absolutely suck IMO. Like a poor mans Dare or Heartland. Their record deal with Virgin lasted until Virgin realised they couldn't write songs or play (their 1989 gig at London's Marquee proved this) & after pissing away all their expenses they got dropped so they reformed their old band.

Poor man's Dare or Heartland? You surely jest.

Dare's 'Blood From Stone' and Outside Edge > Dare >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Heartland

The fact of the matter is, Outside Edge have two excellent albums, Dare have two excellent albums and Heartland have one good album. The rest is all crap. IMO. Heartland better than Outside Edge? HAHA!

Dare's 'Blood From Stone' and Outside Edge > Dare >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Heartland

The fact of the matter is, Outside Edge have two excellent albums, Dare have two excellent albums and Heartland have one good album. The rest is all crap. IMO. Heartland better than Outside Edge? HAHA!

Well I know the story of Outside Edge as I was in the press when they got all that hype (from Kerrang!) & they are just a joke band, they wrote one good song (that was used to get them the deal with Virgin) & then pissed away their expenses instead of making an album. They made 2 E.P's that they never finished & Virgin never bothered releasing (it was only when Virgin's Swedish arm released them that they saw the light of day). Virgin gave them a load of money to make the albums but they couldn't deliver, & instead of getting a good producer in they brought in a friend of the band on-the-cheap who ruined the sound totally. So you have a couple of half-finished & very patchy albums, with a whole heap of mistakes on them as they are effectively only demos, that sound like absolute shit. In fact they got more hype than the infinitely better Blue Blud....

IMHO the two discs are unlistenable. I know Heartland have been pretty rubbish for a long time, but their first 3 albums - along with albums by Strangeways/Dare/FM etc - all leave Outside Edge for dead....

IMHO the two discs are unlistenable. I know Heartland have been pretty rubbish for a long time, but their first 3 albums - along with albums by Strangeways/Dare/FM etc - all leave Outside Edge for dead....

I wouldn't quite go the unlistenable route, but backed completely on the other points mate. One of the most forgotten about UK AOR bands of all time for sure and for pretty good reason. They weren't very good compared to the competition.

The only thing I'll give you fellas is the sound. Sure, the albums sound pretty horrid production-wise, but I think that just goes to show how good they are, song-wise, for me still to take notice of them over all these supposedly "better" bands. Blue Blud were better, sure, but I'd still take Outside Edge over the majority (not all!) of Dare, Heartland and Strangeways... and FM!

As with all my musical opinions, the stories behind it all is interesting (seriously, thanks for the insight - I love stuff like that), but it does not affect for a moment what I think of the songs at all. All I know, is I have two full albums of great Outside Edge songs... and that's all that matters to me in my opinion of the band. :)