Lynch mob - 'Revolution'

Geoff

So what are thoughts in the aftermath of this one?

I didn't mind it at first, but spinning it yesterday I was left very unimpressed. A few of the first few songs sound okay, but as the CD goes on you can't help feeling that the new versions just suffocate all that was good from the originals. If you look at stuff like 'Cold is the heart', 'When Darkness Calls', 'River of love', 'Wicked Sensation' and 'The secret', they honestly seem to have stolen any type of hook or memorability from the songs in these versions.

This is not a grunge album as such, but to me the second half of this CD sounds like grunge versions of their classics. Downtuned riffs lacking original appeal or any spark and the choruses just sound so dead and delivered like a grunge band would have. Just kind of shows that a great song can still be ruined with the wrong delivery.

• 2023 Gold Donors

Still feel the same way i did when first i heard it...its a pile of shit ! George was out to prove a point or whatever and "give these classics some edge"..well they already had plenty of 'edge' on the originals...just a piss take on the great songs George helped to create.Alternate tunings,tempo changes etc f**k that! This album just made me appreciate Don Dokken that much more.

Still feel the same way i did when first i heard it...its a pile of shit ! George was out to prove a point or whatever and "give these classics some edge"..well they already had plenty of 'edge' on the originals...just a piss take on the great songs George helped to create.Alternate tunings,tempo changes etc f**k that! This album just made me appreciate Don Dokken that much more.

Yeah, the biggest shame about this CD, I find, is actually that it "wastes" Mason's spectacular voice. If there is only one good thing to take from this disc, it is undoubtedly Mason's vocals. He sounds amazing, but yeah, George and the band don't. :(

That said, 'Relax' really isn't a bad song at all.

I wish this had been a disc full of Dokken classics, re-recorded with the sound they had on the s/t disc in 1992.

Detritus 'zine sent me a promo copy of this when it first came out years back... and I kept it long enough to write a review and then it was off to the trade pile. Didn't do a damn thing for me. I vaguely remember that he re-vamped a couple of Dokken songs to the point where they were totally unrecognizable. I figured he must've done that on purpose, hoping that Don would have a coronary when he heard them.

I vaguely remember that he re-vamped a couple of Dokken songs to the point where they were totally unrecognizable.

That's the other thing. I consider myself a huge Dokken and Lynch Mob fan but without looking at the song titles beforehand, I found myself completely unaware of what most these songs were until the chorus hit.